Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 12:18 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:13 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 5/11/2024, 5:24 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+192
TxGramma
lyndeeloo
simpletwist
bnoles
ETNRedClay
tananarose
Josh
mschaef
Pollinator
kbshark
sanderson
Lemonie
artisticfoodie
nanny
monisa
cricket
pol_bishop25
Lillyz
H_TX_2
Coelli
jazzycat
brainchasm
jmdever
jimmy cee
Turnip
Janas
johnp
JackieB999
audrey.jeanne.roberts
johnsonjlj
CindiLou
Nymiko
barmstr
cyclonegardener
binfordmj
Damon
lonewolfrissy
Hoggar
toledobend
larry
Belle87ad
songstriss
nycquilter
MoneyMan94
Momof5Js
LA Vertical SFG
TheGinPalace
Nicola
NAR56
greatgranny
Windsor.Parker
Pepper
Suzy
hopeless151
J_in_HamiltonON
les1727
memart1
CharlesB
JustMe
westie
CCgirl75
BetsyC
efirvin
Sharonde
jmsieglaff
claudiamedic
cheyannarach
jazzymom
gregrenee88
mmathedrader
kittykat
floyd1440
BackRiver_SFG
crs
kateh
1airdoc
CapeCoddess
Triciasgarden
darci.strutt
kbb964
CarolinaGirl
nilberty
Chopper
tomperrin
TejasTerry
UnderTheBlackWalnut
Yardtigress
squaredeal
ksbmom
PeonyLover
Turan
sfg4uKim
eospete
JK
floridagardengirl
BillOcala
yolos
landarch
Thornesworld
carolyn.g.sullivan
dixie
rod champion
AvaDGardner
plantoid
eflan
RoOsTeR
ericam
Lavender Debs
Dadoo
GWN
morganfam7
curio
Ha-v-v
sfgteachers
DebbieR
quiltbea
Improvisor
petals1973
happycamper
jkahn2eb
genes
littlesapphire
Icemaiden
garden girl
teamhillbilly
llama momma
TryingForGreen
AprilakaCCIL
bettyd_z7_va
laurakay60
The Cat's Other Mother
Dunkinjean
boffer
stripesmom
oxmyx1
unmadecastle
Denese
HouseofWool
Unmutual
robin mcmanus
Mamachibi
Kelejan
TN_GARDENER
GreenBlueberry
littlejo
Weatherkid
southern gardener
westie42
madnicmom
busygirl
Davanna Driggers
moswell
Lindacol
ModernDayBetty
jymarino
FamilyGardening
herblover
kjenkins82
sherryeo
buttaflie143
MasonGarden
middlemamma
donnainzone5
pattipan
Menditha
sarah in the garden
Aub
extremesoccermom
sheslostit
WardinWake
Tril
Nonna.PapaVino
shannon1
CarolynPhillips
michellet
jazzymaddy
dmsandlin
ashort
Smartchick
Furbalsmom
clfraser
camprn
MattieDRFT
staf74
Goosegirl
BackyardBirdGardner
Miss M
nancy
walshevak
dizzygardener
myhouseofBOYS
elliephant
196 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/25/2013, 9:25 pm

Tonight we're having fresh salad just picked with a mix of lettuce from my winter crop (black seeded simpson) and mescalun mix that is just maturing. Fresh Radish and one of the very last tomatoes (fresh) that I've kept in the fridge since pulling out the plant in mid-January.

We'll also have zucchini latkes with our chicken breasts. (EDIT: so much for the zucchini, it was shredded cucumber I shredded to use in baking, LOL! I'm not thinking cucumber latkes sounds doable!) So, frozen green beans instead.

I love harvesting and planting on the same day - we just planted to first of our potatoes in our straw bale gardens.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  elliephant 2/26/2013, 11:08 am

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-chard-mushroom-lasagna-137482

Made this with chard from the garden. Sure wish I could get butternut to grow here, but I've been unsuccessful so far.
The recipe was really good, but I will add some caramelized onions to the mushrooms and chard mixture next time. I've got a bunch of whole wheat lasagna noodles that I got for .50/box with a sale/coupon, so I was happy with how good this recipe came out. No one else in the family will eat it, but I can freeze it in individual serving sizes and have a quick and healthy lunch to pop in the microwave.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/26/2013, 4:03 pm

I thinned my indoor pak choi, broccoli and collard seedlings today, and put the sprouts into my salad for lunch. Micro greens!

Does that count?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/26/2013, 4:05 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I thinned my indoor pak choi, broccoli and collard seedlings today, and put the sprouts into my salad for lunch. Micro greens!

Does that count?

CC
Sure it does, CC. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/26/2013, 5:10 pm

Rhubarb from last season, along with zucchini..(casseroles)
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Empty Collards, cauliflower, kale, cabbage!

Post  jmdever 2/27/2013, 10:08 am

Don't you just love it! And finally a sunny day this month!
jmdever
jmdever

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 2/27/2013, 10:32 am

Harvested 2 heads of broccoli this morning and ate one of them (along with a handful of snow peas) in a breakfast stirfry.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/28/2013, 9:31 am

jmdever wrote:Don't you just love it! And finally a sunny day this month!
glad you\'re here jmdever happy hi
I see this is your first post here. Let us know who you are. flower
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/28/2013, 4:15 pm

I was finally was able to clear a bed with carrots today that should have been harvested back in December but due to the lousy summer and winter the carrots didn't do very well except for the odd one agains the sunny side of the brick work .. everthing else was just too cold.

We had five of the biggest carrots for tea tonight & half a large parsnip dug up from a few days ago .
The remainder of the carrots are going to be carrot and chicken soup tomorrow morning , then frozen in to family sized soup sessions for three slurpers.

Size wise about 1/3 are under an inch in diameter at the top end and not much more than two inches long. Just over half are below even that leaving one sixth as decent long carrots up to six inches long . All the carrots were sown either on 7 July or 17 JULY last year and should have been nine inch long store carrots harvested in late in December.

Well we had tea ...... Sausages , mashed spuds , carrots baton and leeks in three inch lengths including as much of the green tops as we could use .....served with packet onion gravy , YUM , YUM .

I must confess the carrots and parsnip were fantastic, I thought there was a big chance of them starting to go woody as they run to seed .. this MM stuff is certainly the bee's knees for getting decent crops , in mother earth soil most would have split or been like old fashioned wooden clothes pegs.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Carrots001

Last edited by plantoid on 2/28/2013, 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/27/2013, 8:17 pm

Today I had to pull up most of the baby pak choi that I planted as they were going to bolt. Seems like I just planted them out as seedlings a few short weeks ago. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 100_6210

I had them tonite with some baby kale leaves in a stir fry over rice.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/27/2013, 8:30 pm

Looks excellent CC What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 3170584802 I'm ready to munch on some baby bok again!

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 4/27/2013, 8:39 pm

I pulled (and ate) my first pea (pod)!

It was the first bloom I had gotten, and it was now pretty fat and round, but not very long.

I pulled it, cracked it open, and the peas looked just right. I tried the pod too, but it was pretty fibrous (think edamame shell, but not QUITE that bad).

There were six peas, and I savored each and every one. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 3170584802

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/28/2013, 7:24 pm

Homemade pie with home grown and canned sauce, garlic, basil, shallots and oregano.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 00111

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/28/2013, 8:26 pm

A salad with three types of lettuce and radishes. By the time the cucumbers and tomatoes and squash come in the lettuce will be bolting. Oh well.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 4/28/2013, 9:20 pm

I just picked a bunch of red lettuce (MoFS), and a whole head of Tom Thumb lettuce. Used some for burgers, and made a couple salads out of the rest.

Normally the Tom Thumb would be a cut-and-come-again, but with our weather rapidly turning into summer, the lettuce is going to bolt any minute anyway.

Twas delicious!

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/28/2013, 10:34 pm

yolos wrote:A salad with three types of lettuce and radishes. By the time the cucumbers and tomatoes and squash come in the lettuce will be bolting. Oh well.

Question about bolting... can't you keep it trimmed to keep it producing? Isn't that what you do with herbs, like basil? I know when I've grown basil in the past, I kept it from flowering so I could keep harvesting the leaves. Can you not do this with lettuces and other greens? Or will they just quit growing because they don't like the heat? Dumb question, perhaps, but I've no clue. I had to look up what "bolting" meant when I was ordering seeds back in February.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 4/28/2013, 11:09 pm

From what I understand, the way lettuces (and spinach) bolt, you can't really stop it because it's a response to the heat. Also, I think it happens very fast and by the time you notice the flower coming, the leaves have already bittered.

But I could be wrong.

brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 4/28/2013, 11:36 pm

Strawberries! My strawberry bed is bursting right now.

Tomorrow I'll harvest a bunch of dinosaur kale because it's going nuts, and perhaps some of the Russian kale. We will have tomatoes and peas soon, too!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/29/2013, 4:33 am

You can keep the about to bolt lettuce growing, so long as you do it as soon as the seed spike starts to rise above the basic plant .. don't leave it till it is three inches high for it will,be too late .

Look in the gallery in the big stuff section. That 19 inch diameter saladbowl lettuce of mine had the centre taken out several times and also got regular dinner table hair cuts
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/29/2013, 12:44 pm

Carrots.
The first strawberries.
Bowls and bowls of lettuce and spinach.
AND my first yellow crook neck squash!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/29/2013, 1:04 pm

plantoid wrote:
...Look in the gallery in the big stuff section...

Trying to figure out what this means. I looked, but didn't see any "big stuff" section. And which gallery? thinking
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/29/2013, 1:08 pm

jazzycat wrote:
Question about bolting... can't you keep it trimmed to keep it producing? Isn't that what you do with herbs, like basil? I know when I've grown basil in the past, I kept it from flowering so I could keep harvesting the leaves. Can you not do this with lettuces and other greens? Or will they just quit growing because they don't like the heat?

I tried taking out the middles of this current pak choi to get it go grow bigger, as I've had success doing that with some lettuces last year. But, as with other lettuces, the stem gets longer and it made no new leaves, just got taller. The other lettuces also got bitter. So I guess it all depends on the plant. Wish I'd taken notes on what worked and what didn't. Rolling Eyes

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/29/2013, 1:18 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
jazzycat wrote:
Question about bolting... can't you keep it trimmed to keep it producing? Isn't that what you do with herbs, like basil? I know when I've grown basil in the past, I kept it from flowering so I could keep harvesting the leaves. Can you not do this with lettuces and other greens? Or will they just quit growing because they don't like the heat?

I tried taking out the middles of this current pak choi to get it go grow bigger, as I've had success doing that with some lettuces last year. But, as with other lettuces, the stem gets longer and it made no new leaves, just got taller. The other lettuces also got bitter. So I guess it all depends on the plant. Wish I'd taken notes on what worked and what didn't. Rolling Eyes

CC
Think of it this way. There is a cycle of life to everything... The main reason for an organism to mature is to reproduce, some plants do this by bolting and making flowers and then seeds. Certain plants manage the loss of the flowering mechanism by putting out side growth, (basil),but some plants don't do this at all. Some will try, (lettuce) but the life force of the plant may be waning, or the environmental conditions are no longer optimal for flowering......... with lettuce, it tends to get bitter. That's why succession planting is popular with lettuces. The baby leaves are so much better tasting.

does that help at all? thinking thinking

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 4/29/2013, 1:45 pm

I harvested lettuce this past weekend. One packet was a mix and had red kale in it. I will definitely plant more of the red kale in the future. I had a few ripe yellow pear tomatoes from my plant that survived the winter so those went on top of my salad.

My cilantro and basil are now to the point where I can start harvesting as I need it. My jalapeno plant that survived the winter is also producing lots of peppers.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/29/2013, 8:54 pm

camprn wrote:Think of it this way. There is a cycle of life to everything... The main reason for an organism to mature is to reproduce, some plants do this by bolting and making flowers and then seeds. Certain plants manage the loss of the flowering mechanism by putting out side growth, (basil),but some plants don't do this at all. Some will try, (lettuce) but the life force of the plant may be waning, or the environmental conditions are no longer optimal for flowering......... with lettuce, it tends to get bitter. That's why succession planting is popular with lettuces. The baby leaves are so much better tasting.

does that help at all? thinking thinking

It definitely does. Since I like to eat a lot of salads, especially in the summer, I want to be able to grow lettuce continually, hence the question. I would harvest the outer leaves when they are still small as the younger, inner leaves grew. I'm growing 6 or 8 different varieties, and I'm contemplating growing some indoors so I won't have to worry so much about them bolting in the heat. (you can do that, right? if you keep the temperature cool enough?) Then, also, no worries about aphids, etc. But, will lettuces continue to grow and produce during the summer if you keep planting new seeds? I really wasn't sure if they would survive very long in the spring/early summer here, because of the heat/humidity issue.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next