Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) Toplef101st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) I22gcj101st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) Toplef101st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) I22gcj101st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :)

+7
Nicola
landarch
camprn
meatburner
bluehrs
mollyhespra
nitsudg
11 posters

Go down

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) Empty 1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :)

Post  nitsudg 7/15/2013, 10:33 pm

Hi Everyone
I started my square foot garden back in mid June, and everything has grown wonderfully so far as I have Mel's Mix source here in town, and it's making it easy to grow. I've been watering more than normal in this hot sun. I have yet to make a trellis for my tomatoes (which I still need to do - and pole beans), so I'm using tomato cages for now.

I did make a boo boo however. I just realized today I had planted black beauty zucchini instead of eggplant this whole time lol; which I didn't want as I knew I couldn't dedicate 3x3 squares for it.  Now it's overtaking my other squares. I noticed a few topics down below ppl talking about containing their bush squash. Any recommendations on doing this from my pics?   

The box is only 6 inches deep so I can't get stakes inside the box but can put outside - I was thinking of getting 2 metal stakes on each side of the box a foot across outside the box, and getting string back and forth on each side of the Zuch's.  Uggh, what a mess!  I feel bad for my poor beans and peppers next to them!

Will the Zuch's overcrowd and possibly kill my other vegetables in the perimeter? How can I prune or contain them? 

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) Garden1_zpsae5d8c3d

To the right of the marigolds is Kentucky bean poles. The box behind (to the left) of the Zuch's is empty. 

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) Garden2_zps878c2c98

To the right is the Orange peppers. Behind that is the Jalepenos and then red peppers behind those.

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) Garden3_zpsf05b3f67

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) Zucscloseup_zpsa0447bc3

When I realized they didn't look like Eggplant
nitsudg
nitsudg

Back to top Go down

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) Empty Re: 1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :)

Post  mollyhespra 7/15/2013, 10:42 pm

Hi, nitsudg & welcome to the forum!

Here's a cool video of someone who stakes their squashes & grows them upright.  I can't say whether it will help your zucchini's neighbors get more sun, but it might give you ideas, especially since the plant in question is on the edge of a box. 

Good luck & keep us posted on what you decide to do!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) Empty Re: 1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :)

Post  bluehrs 7/15/2013, 10:45 pm

As far as I'm concerned you dodged a bullet  - eggplant kinda sucks Wink  Seriously though, looking good.  I don't remember my zukes having super extensive root systems. If you want to pull it out, I say get something else started in a pot, let the zuke spill outside your box and keep harvesting them in the meantime since its pretty close to producing.  They'll handle selective leaf pruning in the meantime; don't sweat snipping anything covering neighboring squares.

My 2 cents,
Brandon
bluehrs
bluehrs

http://www.squarefootgardener.com

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 7/15/2013, 10:46 pm

What location is SLC?
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/15/2013, 10:55 pm

My suggestion is this, once that plant starts putting out zukes and you harvest them, you can prune the leaves off that are behind where you cut the zuke from. Meaning, you can trim from the base of the plant but not ahead of the blooms or squash on the vine. The plant will grow and trail over the side of the bed. I'm sorry you won't get eggplants this year. I love eggplant. And zucchini too. Welcome to the world of gardening and the SFG Forum.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  nitsudg 7/15/2013, 11:16 pm

To answer previous post. I'm in Murray, a suburb of Salt Lake City.

Thanks for the quick responses from everyone. I think pruning heavily is what I'll need to do. My dad really thinks (insists almost!) I should transplant the whole entire zuch plant behind the box where we have a 3.5' strip of dirt north of the box and move it there.  Ugh. I wish I would of paid more attention to the tag when buying lol.

I'm really enjoying gardening and hope to make more boxes for Fall season. First time implementing everything from shade/bug cover to making the box was very hard at first I'll admit but I've learned a lot so far and it's become a lot easier.

Last edited by nitsudg on 7/15/2013, 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
nitsudg
nitsudg

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/15/2013, 11:18 pm

I think it will die if you transplant it. It is looking fantastic right now, getting ready to put food on your table. In another 10 days you more than likely will have pruned all the older leaves off and that will open up the bed to more sunshine.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 7/15/2013, 11:26 pm

Your garden looks really green and healthy...congrats and don't fret about any mistakes.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  nitsudg 7/15/2013, 11:30 pm

camprn wrote:I think it will die if you transplant it. It is looking fantastic right now, getting ready to put food on your table. In another 10 days you more than likely will have pruned all the older leaves off and that will open up the bed to more sunshine.

Will do.  I never did mention what I planted. So here is my list:

Tomatoes - black from Tula, Cherokee purple, sweet 100's, celebrity hybrids
Basil - Thai Saim, Large green leaf, Sweet 
Chives
Kentucky pole beans
Orange and red peppers
Jumbo jalapeno
Marigolds
Zuchs
and a mystery plant I have no idea what it is! Just letting it grow but its not bearing buds

** Also I have a 1 lb bag of Sugar buns hybrid (se) corn kernals (mid sweet) I was planning on growing.. not sure what I'll do yet. If anyone wants some I can arrange something.

Last edited by nitsudg on 7/15/2013, 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
nitsudg
nitsudg

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/15/2013, 11:35 pm

Post a photo of the mystery plant please, maybe we can help you there.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  nitsudg 7/16/2013, 6:01 pm

camprn wrote:Post a photo of the mystery plant please, maybe we can help you there.

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) MysteryPlant_zps257ba038

1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) Mysteryplant2_zps27221e1b

Here it is. If it's a weed, I sure haven't seen anything like it. Should I keep or kill it?
nitsudg
nitsudg

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/16/2013, 6:28 pm

I think it may be a sunflower........... maybe. It sure is healthy and happy! Maybe it will give you a monstrous bloom.flower

You can probably plant lettuce under it.Wink 

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola 7/16/2013, 6:36 pm

Hi happy hi   nitsudg!  and welcome  to the 1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) 3194053932  forum.
(I'm curious about your screen name; how do you say it & what prompted it?)
I think the shape of the leaves on your mystery plant looks kind of cucurbit also. I see some spotty texture of the stem, but the leaves don't look prickly, so (hopefully) I'm wrong. Could you have dropped an extra zuke-not-eggplant seed  in that square?
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/16/2013, 8:06 pm

Welcome!
nitsudg wrote:
Basil - Thai Saim, Large green leaf, Sweet 
Never heard of large green leaf. Though I've seen pretty large sweet basil leaves. Maybe post a picture once you get some good leaves?

Kentucky pole beans
Good luck with yours! I love watching beans climb all over the place ... makes me feel like a real gardener! Now if only they would produce some actual beans instead of leaves ...

Marigolds
I got at least 40 of them to keep away pests. They were the first thing eaten.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/16/2013, 9:05 pm

Hi nitsudg and welcome to the forum!  I live probably 5-10 minutes from you in West Jordan.  Your garden looks wonderful and it sounds like you started the right way!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/16/2013, 9:30 pm

Nitsudg,  Yes, watch the video.  I have to grow my squash vertically due to space limitations.  Go to the Search box and add "vertical squash."  Lots of pics and discussions.  You can drive a stake in the ground next to that square.  Once you have removed the lower leaves [with a sharp paring knife] it will be lighter and easier to train over to and up the trellis.  I use stretchy green tape.  Be careful not to cut a leaf stalk associated with a fruit or flower!
1st post;1st time gardening. Made a mistake! Pics inside :) 5-26-113
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 7/16/2013, 11:53 pm

Nitsudg - welcome to the forum. Since your zuke is on the edge of your box, maybe you can nail a wooden stake to the side and tie your zuke to that. I have fencing on the side of my sfg and wrap my zukes with a bungy cord. This helps keep the leaves from overcrowding the other plants and I'm training it to run up the fence. I got the idea from someone else on the forum. Your pics look great! Good luck!
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down