Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1st time gardening and I made a mistake... Toplef101st time gardening and I made a mistake... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1st time gardening and I made a mistake... I22gcj101st time gardening and I made a mistake... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1st time gardening and I made a mistake... Toplef101st time gardening and I made a mistake... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1st time gardening and I made a mistake... I22gcj101st time gardening and I made a mistake... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

1st time gardening and I made a mistake...

+2
Lemonie
woppa
6 posters

Go down

1st time gardening and I made a mistake... Empty 1st time gardening and I made a mistake...

Post  woppa 4/30/2013, 10:58 am

Not sure if this is the right forum for questions from a beginner, please forgive me if it is not.

Quick background...I have an 8x4 box made from cinder blocks, with a trellis going across the 8 foot north side of the box. I have a couple other boxes too but I didnt mess up on those.

My question is this...I didn't realize that the summer squash and beans I bought were bush varieties, and in addition, I thought eggplant and peppers needed a trellis but I have come to understand they do not. Will these plants still grow fine next to a trellis? Will they ruin the other squares around them since they are going to get big and bushy? What should I do? Should I try to transplant the seedlings to containers? Thanks for the help.
woppa
woppa

Back to top Go down

1st time gardening and I made a mistake... Empty Re: 1st time gardening and I made a mistake...

Post  Lemonie 4/30/2013, 1:27 pm

WELCOME to SFG!!! glad you\'re here

I think you may still be able to trellis your eggplant with a little work (I heard many members here do it successfully. Sounds like you may need to make a little more room for your bush plants though (bush beans=1 per sq, squash=1 per 4sq?) but you could still plant some shade/cold crops like lettuce around them until they take off....by that time those cold crops will be spent and ready to be pulled. You could even use tomato cages around your beans and peppers to keep them contained to their square.

Gardening is a lot of making mistakes and learning from them....all of us here have done it. 1st time gardening and I made a mistake... 3170584802
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

1st time gardening and I made a mistake... Empty Re: 1st time gardening and I made a mistake...

Post  yolos 4/30/2013, 2:30 pm

If that is yellow summer squash, then yes it will crowd out anything planted next to it unless it is on the side of the bed and you can train it over the side. That still may not work. It does take 4 squares.

For all of the bush beans I have ever planted in an SFG, you can plant way more than 1 per square. I am at work and don't have my book, but I planted 5 per square last year. But I think many sfgers plant anywhere from 4 to 9 per square. Someone will be along shortly for that answer.

The eggplant only needs one square. I use one short stake to keep mine from falling over. It does not need a trellis and mine did not overtake anything planted in the squares next to it (unless the sun will be blocked out by the differences in sizes of things planted next to it).

I don't know about peppers.

Looks like your main problem is not that they are bush type, but will they shade any plants growing next to them. (except the squash will crowd out anything next to it). You can still plant them next to a trellis but that is wasting the trellis on plants that don't need it or only need a small stake.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 4/30/2013, 2:51 pm

Welcome to the forum! Don't feel bad about making mistakes Smile That's how we learn and become awesome gardeners.

I think your garden can be salvaged. First, I always plant my bush beans 9 per square and they do great. They do get floppy toward harvest time, but you can tie a string around the whole square to keep them from toppling over on their neighbors.

Peppers generally don't need a trellis, but I'm sure it won't hurt them to have one either. Sames goes for eggplants (I think; I'm not very experienced with them). The only problem I can see with having them next to a trellis is that you might want to grow something there that can actually use the trellis Smile

Now for squash! There is a technique that you can do with bush zucchini... I haven't tried it, but I know people who have, and it doesn't look hard. It's a technique of careful pruning that lets you grow it in 1 square instead of 4-9. Check out the video on this thread: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t14294-vertical-zuchini?highlight=zucchini+video It's super cool!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 4/30/2013, 3:25 pm

Ah...yes! Soooo sorry for the mis-info on beans! I have no idea why I typed 1 per square....must've had peppers on the brain. Embarassed We did the bush beans in our container garden of 6 per pot...equivalent to just about a square and they did very well.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 4/30/2013, 4:07 pm

What variety of bush beans did you plant? I ask because here on the forum several of us found that our bush beans actually ended up vining and needing a trellis. Mine ended up climbing a stake and were over 4 ft tall. I'll have to look up the variety. On the other had dragons tongue beans are a true bush type and only get about 18" tall.

Here is the topic:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7863-my-bush-beans-are-trying-to-vine-as-well?highlight=vining+bush+beans

Last edited by Lindacol on 4/30/2013, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  woppa 4/30/2013, 10:08 pm

I planted blue lake 274 and golden wax beans from burpee. I actually put them one per cinder block hole...I gave the yellow squash, green squash, eggplant and peppers each 2 squares. I think I will try the pruning method for the squash, and just leave the beans where they are. Once I harvest the squash ill be planting tomato transplants in their place, and I know those vine! Thanks for all the helpful replies! Still have much to learn.
woppa
woppa

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/30/2013, 11:15 pm

Peppers...I don't stake my peppers, however I do weave a support line through them.
I sometimes use waxed string tied to stakes on the edges.
Windy storms have done mine in, so a little support goes a long way.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down