Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame Toplef10Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame I22gcj10Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame Toplef10Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame I22gcj10Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame

5 posters

Go down

Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame Empty Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame

Post  NYSarah 7/8/2013, 1:20 pm

What type of pipe clamps are people using for the Extra Strong Vertical Frame?  I couldn't contrive how the clamps I found in my hardware store near the electrical conduit could possibly be used to wrap around both a fence post and the conduit.  Any suggestions?
NYSarah
NYSarah

Back to top Go down

Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame Empty Re: Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame

Post  boffer 7/8/2013, 1:45 pm

glad you\'re here 

I don't know what the Extra Strong Vertical Frame is, but zip ties or baling wire have always worked well for me when securing various pipes to fence posts in the garden.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/8/2013, 1:52 pm

Called either clamps or straps at Home Depot.  I like the 2 winged better than the single winged for vertical security.  Like when you secure the vertical pipe to the sides of the boxes.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Boxes-Conduit-Fittings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm4m/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&langId=-1&storeId=10051&omni=c_Electrical%20Boxes,%20Conduit%20&%20Fittings&searchNav=true

Opps, should have read your post twice before replying. I assumed you were talking about a wood fence post. Maybe you have metal posts????
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Pipe Clamps for Extra Strong Frame Empty Further Information

Post  NYSarah 7/8/2013, 3:27 pm

Thanks the the suggestions thus far.  This is my first year doing a square foot garden and guess I need clarification of first edition page 151's instructions about a frame strong enough to hold watermelon.  I trotted off to Lowe's and picked up my pipe, elbows and the wing type straps mentioned, then I went to pick out fence posts.  The book mentions using steel fence post, not wood, and the straps wouldn't work for that.  So, back to the conduit section I went and found a product labels as clamps, however, they hooked on one end some kind of track and the other end screwed together to make them tighter.  This makes no sense at all.  I peeked into the second edition of the book at Lowe's and he doesn't add anything to this section in it or show any pictures. 

At this point I should note that I had a tired five year old and a cranky three year old in tow, so I decided I would seek internet guidance before venturing off to plumbing and making any purchases.  Also, employees were rather scarce (or maybe they were avoiding my children also.....)    

My only concern about using zip ties is that I my soil is pure sand, and I am looking for what ever is the absolute strongest.  I will probably also end up installing guy wire.
NYSarah
NYSarah

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/8/2013, 3:45 pm

If you can post photos of the materials you are trying to assemble, someone can usually come up with something.  For now, you can use strong zip ties until you find a more permanent solution.  Or use plumber's tape.  Strong metal strapping with pre-drilled holes.  Wrap and secure through holes with nut and bolt. As a weak-ish woman, I love plumber's tape, zip ties, straps, anything easy to work with.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/8/2013, 4:19 pm

NYSarah wrote:...My only concern about using zip ties is that I my soil is pure sand, and I am looking for what ever is the absolute strongest.  I will probably also end up installing guy wire.

Your biggest obstacle will be setting a secure post in the sand; there won't be that much stress on whatever you use to attach the conduit to the post.

I've never had to deal with sandy soil, but I can guess that guy wires would work...if you can find something solid to anchor them to.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 7/8/2013, 9:10 pm

I used 1/2 round rebar, 4' long and hammered it 2' into the ground below the Mel's Mix and slid the 1/2" electrical conduit over the rebar. I didn't clamp the conduit to the box at all, my trellis is inside the boxes. It is very sturdy, but I'm not growing watermelon, just big tomatoes. You could use longer rebar driven further into the sand and the two winged clamps to the side of the box and then baling twine as guy wires from the top of the trellis to the corners of the box, that should be plenty sturdy. If need be use another piece of conduit upright in the center to take some of the weight off of the top cross bar.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/8/2013, 9:21 pm

sanderson wrote:for vertical security.  Like when you secure the vertical pipe to the sides of the boxes.
http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Boxes-Conduit-Fittings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm4m/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&langId=-1&storeId=10051&omni=c_Electrical%20Boxes,%20Conduit%20&%20Fittings&searchNav=true
Opps, Maybe you have metal posts????
Thanks for posting this link. (Scrounging again in shed, lol), I found 2  8-ft. metal pieces, they call 'struts'; except these are 2-sided, so I forced the lip-part under the cinder blocks, & the other part has 3 tiny holes: these I nailed to the shed, after threading twine thru the holes.
I only found 1 6-ft. 2x2 which I anchored with rocks+dirt in one of the cement-block holes forming a Triangle, & then I drove nails up it a ft. apart to string the twine with the 4 Vining tomato plants. They are just happy to finally have something to grow up on. It may not be a work of great Wink Art, but it does get the job done. -
Now rest of mater plants are strung up with only twine nailed from eaves, so they kinda blow in the breeze...I told them "constant Laughing pollination..." - Any better ideas? Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down