Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Toplef10PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 I22gcj10PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Toplef10PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 I22gcj10PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013

+10
Goosegirl
LittleGardener
Nonna.PapaVino
gwennifer
GWN
quiltbea
Lavender Debs
FamilyGardening
RoOsTeR
boffer
14 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013

Post  LittleGardener 6/26/2013, 4:46 pm

GWN wrote:LG  I prune my tomatoes pretty heavily, cut off all the lower branches and suckers and maintain one main stalk.
I have done this for a few years and have always had TONS of tomatoes, so don't worry.Very Happy
Thanks! for the encouraging advice GWN Smile next questions:
1. what other plants can we treat likewise?
2. How many pruned-parts can we re-root? - Asking, as I'm now trying it with a tomato Wink
3. For scallions, does it need more than an inch of growth to plant it again? Also,
would someone please answer (1 of 3 questions) I asked in my own thread yesterday: "how many of these could my 3x5 foot box accommodate: another lemon-boy cherry tomato, 3 Pole beans, 4 sweet Bell peppers, 3 loong cukes, & 2 Butternut squashes." ? Yes, I've read Mel's ANSFG-book.

Wait just a sec, I have yet more questions Very Happy Thanks so much for sharing Smile your experience...
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/26/2013, 4:58 pm

I can answer the first question as I have done some researching this year about peppers and eggplant, and you can take the lower leaves/branches off of them, I think it provides more air to the bottom of the plant, and focuses the energy of the growth where it is needed, rather than leaves that are covered anyways..
I have never tried to re root tomato branches, but successfully have rerooted ginger, lemongrass and basil bits....

My thoughts on your 4th question is that I think all of those things take at least one square to grow and the squash needs to be on a corner so it can WANDER....boogie woogie
Don't know the answer to 3, have never grown scallions.
janet
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/26/2013, 5:44 pm

GWN wrote:I can answer the first question as I have done some researching this year about peppers and  eggplant, and you can take the lower leaves/branches off of them, I think it focuses the energy of the growth where it is needed, rather than leaves that are covered anyways..
Thanks so much Janet, & my apologies for going off-topic, but see I NEED the answer to my box-question because my patient plants are still imprisoned in their tiny Shocked pots waiting for their home...
Goody!
so how many days must one wait ? after their transplanting shock, before my 4 one-foot tall Sweet-bells are going for a big hair-cut Very Happy below their blossoms...

GWN wrote:
I have never tried to re root tomato branches, but successfully have rerooted ginger, lemongrass and basil bits... Don't know the answer to 3, have never grown scallions.
Hm, not got any of your 3. But could I re-root garlic?

GWN wrote:
My thoughts on your 4th question is that I think all of those things take at least one square to grow and the squash needs to be on a corner so it can WANDER.... boogie woogie
janet
Let me see if I get this right: "another lemon-boy cherry tomato, 3 Pole beans, 4 sweet Bell peppers, 2 loong cukes, & 3 Butternut squashes." = So each Tomato is now in a corner in front of a south-facing window. How about planting the beans in between these 2, plus on the East-side? of the bed. Then the 4 Bells on the South? & the West? - They can all share the space for roots in the middle, right?
Next,
the 2 loong cukes, & 3 Butternut squashes I can make another shallow bed for, in between these 2 3x5 foot beds, right?
Um, since the north by the street is only for pretty flower ornamentals, &
the West-side I need to leave for a mini-orchard later, currently I'm starting new veggie sprouts, &  they will take over the entire 20x30 ft. SE space, before they take over the entire 20x30 ft. East-space.
The PLANT-invasion has in earnest begun. I can see it now PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 931411784
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/27/2013, 12:54 am

LittleGardener wrote:Also, would someone please answer (1 of 3 questions) I asked in my own thread yesterday: "how many of these could my 3x5 foot box accommodate: another lemon-boy cherry tomato, 3 Pole beans, 4 sweet Bell peppers, 3 loong cukes, & 2 Butternut squashes." ? Yes, I've read Mel's ANSFG-book.
LG, just a friendly reminder that we're all just here on our free time, and no one is obligated to answer anyone's questions. If you've read the book, you can easily figure out this information for yourself. I'll help you get started in case you don't own a copy for referencing:

A 3'x5' box is 15 squares.

Tomatoes - indeterminates 1 per square, determinates 1 per 9 squares
Pole beans - 8 per square
bell peppers - 1 per square
cucumbers - 2 per square
squash - 1 per 2 squares if vine type, 1 per 9 squares for bush types

Hope that helps.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/27/2013, 11:53 am

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Photo-11

Just thought I would post a picture of my tomatoes. I do NOT buy tomatoes from the store, and as such I REALLY try to extend the tomato season as much as I can since the last tomatoes we had were the last of those in my cold room in December
SO I take the first few that appear to be starting to ripen and put them in a box so that they can help each other ripen. In a box, the gas that is given off with ripening seems to be more concentrated.
SO here are my first few tomatoes, though it may seem cheating, it gets me fresh tomatoes a few weeks earlier.hungry
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/27/2013, 5:21 pm

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 2027012869 Hey GWN - I'm glad that works for you! Three weeks is a big difference!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/27/2013, 5:50 pm

Oh and in comparing this year to last year, my tomatoes are definately earlier than last year..... .Similar to the year before.
Dont know why, it has rained so much, but I guess it has been a little warmer?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/27/2013, 6:50 pm

GWN wrote:Just thought I would post a picture of my tomatoes. I do NOT buy tomatoes from the store, and as such I REALLY try to extend the tomato season as much as I can since the last tomatoes we had were the last of those in my cold room in December SO I take the first few that appear to be starting to ripen and put them in a box so that they can help each other ripen. In a box, the gas that is given off with ripening seems to be more concentrated.
SO  here are my first few tomatoes, though it may seem cheating, it gets me fresh tomatoes a few weeks earlier.hungry

A few years ago I had about 50 lbs of unripened toms that I had to strip off the plants before the killing frost. I put some apples throughout the pile of tomatoes to hasten the ripening and covered the whole pile with a blanket. Worked great! Every few days I would take out the ripened ones from right around the apples and cover them up again. Hubby was not thrilled with having the entire dining room table mounded with tomatoes, but he sure didn't mind eating all the sauce!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/27/2013, 6:58 pm

Great tip. cheers Thanks.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/28/2013, 1:08 am

A few years ago I had about 50 lbs of unripened toms that I had to strip off the plants before the killing frost. I put some apples throughout the pile of tomatoes to hasten the ripening and covered the whole pile with a blanket. Worked great! Every few days I would take out the ripened ones from right around the apples and cover them up again. Hubby was not thrilled with having the entire dining room table mounded with tomatoes, but he sure didn't mind eating all the sauce!

GG.... I do this every year, our first frost is october 1st, and I take all the tomatoes down to the basement and let them ripen at their own speed and they last until december.... at least a few do. I find that without a "RIPENATOR" like apples, they will ripen each at their own speed.
I do try to check frequently for rotting ones to get them out..
Not sure what I am going to do when my apple trees start to produce apples though. blush
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/28/2013, 3:03 am

cheers GWN those are some pretty tomatoes!!!!! cheers

we picked our second tomato yesterday and gave it a taste.... as you know who was trying to get it thru the little fence we have around it Shocked....it was a gold nugget....nice size for a cherry...yellow in color and tasted ok...just ok...better then store bought but not something yummy to hide and eat....Embarassed

picked our third ripe tomato today and going to split it with hubby Smile will let you know the name and how it taste after we give it a sample....im thinking its going to be yummy as you know who was sniffing it today......PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 1280598131..

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/28/2013, 11:04 am

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Img_1110

UPdate for today I did not keep track of which bushes I picked from, but I am pretty sure that the large almost red ones are alicante. (an heirloom I saved the seeds from last summer) The yellow one, I think is, Dagmas perfection which I got from Nonna. The dark green one in the bottom is black Krim (I think)..
And thats all I know.
Gee Rose, I am guessing your dog, but my dog likes everything but tomatoes... the occasional time I am traveling and buy him a subway sandwich, he picks all the tomatoes out, however a girl I work with does not have a garden, but grows a cherry tomato plant on her deck, JUST for the entertainment of watching her dog pick off the tomatoes...how fun.

I only got ONE cherry tomato to grow this year (well 2 and I gave one away) It was a chocolate cherrry tomatoes which I got from a seed exchange and it is in the hoophouse and I missed watering and it looks almost dead... Sad  I am doing cpr thought

What is your "you know who" called
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/28/2013, 11:43 am

Speaking of dogs eating tomatoes....

My cat Sterling--the one pictured in my current avatar--has been caught twice eating store-bought tomatoes. I'd better watch out once my tomato plants start producing!

donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/28/2013, 11:55 am

this is you know who.....ACE

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0110

I thought I had posted about her stealing the first ripe tomato in this thread but it was in our June PNW thread....LOL....

she also eats strawberries and sugar snap peas off of the vine Razz 

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/28/2013, 11:58 am

LOL Donna ...who would ever think a cat would like tomatoes Razz 

GWN.....your tomatoes are looking good....bet you cant wait to eat them!...hope the CPR works on your cherry tomato....tomatoes seem to be forgiving Very Happy 

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/28/2013, 12:16 pm

my dog eats the peas as well, but he tends to grab the pea and walk away with it tearing down the whole plant. STILL love him though.
Donna....maybe she just likes store bought, which are a TOTALLY different animal....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/28/2013, 12:29 pm

Sterling is a [i]he.[i]. One can only hope. However, that was an organic store-bought beefsteak the last time. So far, his only interest in the veggie garden is to traipse across the vacant squares.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/9/2013, 1:41 pm

July 9

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Tomato10
Gold Nugget: First ripe for 2013, June 15

This has been a crazy year in Everett. Gold Nugget is usually the first of my tomatoes to come ripe, but this year the first taste came five weeks early. I usually count on ripe Gold Nuggets the 3rd week of July. Along with Stupice, I have been putting tomatoes into everything I can think of (mostly because of school, I do not have any broccoli and my beans are still a week to 10 days out).
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Tomato11
Stupice

After listening (reading?) everyone loving this tomato, I decided to buy a packet. Stupice gave us our first red, vine-ripe tomato on June 30th....JUNE 30th. So far they are all about the size of golf balls (the first in a cluster is usually bigger but not as big as a tennis ball). I thought they might be mealy but so far they have been smooth as silk. I'm planning to do a score-card on Stupice as soon as I can get one into the house without biting into it before I get to the back door.

Candidates for 3rd ripe...
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Tomato12
Black Plum Paste

It is not unusual for a single Black Plum to ripen early in the season, then make me wait for her sisters to color up. That habit puts her in the running for 3rd ripe this year.
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Tomato13
Siltz

In the same family as Stupice, except that Siltz is determinant and the fruit is closer to the size of a tennis ball. Siltz is one of those tomatoes that I have loved since moving to Everett. Late season tomatoes beat Siltz out for better taste, but I love getting ripe tomatoes the first week of August in Everett. So far this year has been exceptional.
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Tomato14
Beverlodge Plum

This poor plant. It was stuck in the green house and ignored once the cucumbers got ripe and the full season tomatoes started going crazy in that artificial atmosphere. I moved a gorgeous pot of tomatoes to the deck just in time for the Everett weather to chill down with days of unending rain. The once beautiful pot of tomatoes is now really looking sad. I know from past experience with beaverlodge that the faithful little plant will still produce abundant tomatoes. Ray built a pretty new SFG in the front yard where a single beverlodge was planted. That one plant is bigger then all four of these potted specimens. With all this stress, beverlodge is still in the race for 3rd ripe. BTW, this is the tomato that did not impress me when eaten fresh. I tossed nearly all that I harvested into zipper bags and dropped them into the freezer. In January they made sauce that tasted like summer. Who know?

Coming along but probably not serious contenders for 3rd....
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Tomato15
Silvery Fir Tree

I saw this flash of red while watering. Like Beaverlodge, this tomato is stressed from the weather AND has a much larger, healthier sister in the pretty front garden.
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Tomato16
Ceylon

This pretty little thang is just starting to get color, she probably has a long way to go before she is deep red.

And just because it is so pretty even in green...
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Tomato17
Stripped Roma
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/9/2013, 7:49 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:this is you know who.....ACE

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0110

I thought I had posted about her stealing the first ripe tomato in this thread but it was in our June PNW thread....LOL....

she also eats strawberries and sugar snap peas off of the vine Razz 

happy gardening
rose

She clearly has a discerning palate! lol! 

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/9/2013, 8:29 pm

Lavender Debs, I love how you are growing so many different kinds of tomatoes! Nothing beats variety ... at least to the curious mind and palate. Plus tomatoes of many different sizes and colors and shapes all on a plate together look so wonderful. You are going to have a riot on a plate soon!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/10/2013, 1:59 am

Debs.....cheers lots of ripe maters already!! ....I look forward to your score cards Very Happy and would love to see pictures of your new front growing area....we did the same thing this year and soooo happy that we did!....love the extra space for growing food and its the perfect area...it has sun almost all day Very Happy 

GG.....*You know who* has her own volunteer tomato plant growing in her kennel out of their compost pile Razz the dogs have a compost pile made up of spent tomato plants and grass clippings from mowing their area....I think we shall let them eat the fruits from this tom Very Happy 

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0017

I think the only tom (besides doggies tomato) that hasn't started to fruit yet is our Jubilee...plant is nice and healthy

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0018

Super Italian paste

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0019

Been enjoying a few ripe Maskota cherry

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0020

Thai Pink egg...it has a few little cute fruits on it

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0021

Oregon spring out in the SFG

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0022

Red Robin cherry....its had this fruit for awhile now...still no ripe ones yet...hoping for a good taste because we would love to grow these again next year and give away as gifts...

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0023

Super Bush sitting between 2 squash plants in our new front yard 4 tier SFG box...these plants are so green, thick and healthy...im really hoping they have good tasting tomato's because we would love to grow more next year

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0024

WA cherry.....taste is ok....the plant is kind of iffy

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0025

hugs
rose who is loving the warm weather! Very Happy
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/10/2013, 2:38 am

Wow! you have 8 Smile kinds of tomatoes, do you?, & all doing so good. cheers well,
4 kinds here, & they're doing pretty Smile good too. Two plants are over 3 feet now, crawling up the twine set-up I made 10days ago. And today I noticed one mater turning from orange to red, getting ready Smile 
Now if only I could figger out why the 4 plants only getting Morning-sun have oodles of blossoms & fruit, while the current 2 getting also the afternoon sunny sun, have hardly thinking any thus far. Does that make sense?
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/10/2013, 3:04 am

FamilyGardening wrote:
hugs
rose who is loving the warm weather! Very Happy
Hi Rose,
Six of these hanging containers we have now. Aside tomatoes, could each of these house 2 ? of each: cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, & watermelon plants?
also
have 16 of these scalloped stone sections 1 foot long: PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 - Page 3 Dscf0021- How many inches deep is this tomato planted? Thank you.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/10/2013, 6:31 am

I've got ... hmm ... early girl, big beef, brandywine, talent, sweet 100 (I think), sungold, yellow pear, juliette, and blond kopfchen tomatoes growing, along with a single Better Bush. We had a late spring and summer here, so many have barely put fruit out, and many others have lots of fruit, but it's all green. Hornworms decimated all my early girl tomatoes but left the leaves alone, so at least I can get some regrowth. But they will be late girls. Morning, noon, and night, I haven't been able to spot a single hornworm.

This is the third time I've grown sungolds, and I've never been disappointed. They were prolific and easy to grow for me in Southern California and they same goes for 1500 feet elevation in Southern Oregon.

I'm most excited about Blond Kopfchen, though. I learned about them very late and planted them late, the first crop failing to germinate at all in peat pellets, the second crop germinating only 2 of 8. Boy are my hopes riding on those two! It's a cherry tomato that seedsavers and articles I've read claim is a prodigious producer right up until the first frost. If I only get a few, though, I'm still counting it as a victory since I started my seeds so late ... and then even later. I'd love a cherry tomato that could produce great amounts over a long growing season in what is essentially a short growing-season area. Plus I have yet to have much success with yellow tomatoes.

I do wish I had found some black cherry this year. They were my tastiest last year.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/15/2013, 11:25 am

FamilyGardening wrote: Red Robin cherry....its had this fruit for awhile now...still no ripe ones yet...hoping for a good taste because we would love to grow these again next year and give away as gifts...

What an adorable little plant. I love this idea so I'm looking forward to reading your report card on these tomatoes!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next