Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Toplef10PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 I22gcj10PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Toplef10PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 I22gcj10PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013

+10
Goosegirl
LittleGardener
Nonna.PapaVino
gwennifer
GWN
quiltbea
Lavender Debs
FamilyGardening
RoOsTeR
boffer
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Empty PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013

Post  boffer 5/20/2013, 11:39 pm

IT'S TOMATO TUESDAY TIME AGAIN!

It's time to show up, show off, inspire, and help out your neighbors in the PNW. We know that most anybody can grow a tomato plant, but getting a steady supply of red, juicy, sweet tomatoes in the PNW can be a challenge. Show us your pictures, and tell us your tricks! PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 starts noooooow! rock on
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Empty Re: PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013

Post  boffer 5/20/2013, 11:53 pm

My only suggestion for getting more red tomatoes in the PNW is finding more heat for them. My favorite solution so far is a simple plastic covered greenhouse/hoophouse (whatever you want to call it). Even on a cool cloudy day it will be warmer inside than outside.

Various types; all indeterminates. I started planting starts in the greenhouse on March 9, then adding a few more each week.
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscn2910

It's hard to see, but the majority of plants have blossoms. Brandywines are in the foreground.
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscn2911

This past winter's experiment: an inside grow space that is warm and well lit.
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Image110

I'm keeping this one plant inside just to see how it does.
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscn2913
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/21/2013, 7:27 am

Impressive!

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/21/2013, 4:23 pm

I believe we have 19 tom's planted this year Shocked a few of the same from last year and some new ones.....wanted to try more cherry types and more det to see if we can get a few more tom's out of the growing season.....would like to find a few good ones, so not to have to plant so many in the future....we started them all indoors from seed...

SFG box 1:

Marglobe, Heirloom-Det-70 days-grew last year, not the healthiest of plants but produced a handful of very flavorful med size red tom's....so decided to give this tom another try this year

Oregon Spring- Indeterminate-60 days-new to grow this year-developed for the PNW

Super bush-Cherry-75 days-new this year-container tomato

Bush beef-Det-62 days-new to grow this year

In our 4 teir SFG box out front

2-Super BushDet-75 days-new to grow this year-container tomato

In pots :

2-WA cherry-new to grow this year-developed for the PNW

2-Maskotka-cherry tomato-new to grow this year- good for hanging baskets or pots

In hanging baskets:

2-Red Robin-cherry tomato-new to grow this year

In ground:

Sweetie Cherry-grew this last year-LOVED the flavor and bounty

Thia Pink Egg-Heirloom- Indeterminate-new to grow this year-heard about this tom as a gardeners favorite thru a you tube garden channel

Boone Dock-Heirloom- Indeterminate-new to grow this year-sent as a gift from Tomatofest

Gold Nugget cherry-new this year

2-Itilian Paste-Heirloom- Indeterminate-grew last year-produced well-slight issue with BER on the inside of some fruit-decided to give it another try this year and work on the BER problem and grow them single stem this year

Jubilee-Heirloom- Indeterminate-grew last year-nice large orange fruit with wonderful flavor

will take some pic's as soon as the rain stops for a bit tongue

Happy Gardening
Rose who loves seeing and reading about Tomato Tuesday sunny

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/21/2013, 4:31 pm

Boffer your tom's are looking great!!...excited to see how the one you are keeping indoors does and taste Very Happy

are you heating your green house? and are you going to keep them in the green house all summer?....if so how do you cool the green house down?.....we want to try the same thing and grow some tom's in our small green house but we found last year it was to hot for the tom we kept in there and she didnt produce at all...it can get over a 100 in there this spring Shocked our green house is small at 5x6 and maybe the reason its not working to keep tom's in over the summer.....

we could work out some kind of hoop house for next year.....if that could work better.....

happy gardening
rose...who has idea's floating around in her head...rock on
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/21/2013, 7:18 pm

No heat in the greenhouse, but I've been half-heartedly experimenting with water filled 55 gal drums. When I need heat assistance from them the most, we don't get enough sun.

I have soil heater cables in two boxes where I planted the toms in early March. I also made some twin-wall polycarbonate covers for them for the 'greenhouse inside a greenhouse' trick. Those helped.

I try to emulate what the pros do to keep a greenhouse cool. Shade cloth over the top, sides rolled part way up, one exhaust fan in the wall, another fan blowing the space across the tops of the plants, and on the hottest days, hosing down the floor to take advantage of the cooling effect of evaporation. Humidity and condensation build up fast so it's important to keep that inside fan going. During that hot streak we had last summer, I was able to keep the temps in the low nineties. I think the toms slowed down a little during the hottest days last year, but I still harvested more red toms last year than I have in my entire life two times over!

Oregon Spring is the only tom you listed that I have grown. I'll be interested to hear your opinion of it.

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/21/2013, 11:59 pm

May 21
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 4th_we10
Gold Nugget

I am trying to stay ahead of everything but I feel like it is all getting ahead of me. There are only 10 days of school left and I don't want to let myself begrudge those awesome kidd-o's these last few days. At least it is raining for a spell.

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 4th_we11
BeaverLodge Plum

Some of the tomatoes are doing great in the greenhouse, some of them look like they are struggling. It is weird. The beaverlodge are doing great. I gave away lots of these last year, but peeps thought something was wrong with them, they stay fairly small. They fit nicely into a window box type pot. I thought they were unimpressive fresh but when I dropped them into a zipper bag, then pulled them out in January, they made sauce that tasted like it was made from fresh picked tomatoes in August.

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 4th_we12
The determinants, Legend, Siltz, Gold Nugget and Silvery Fir Tree.

Can you believe it? After nearly a week of 80 degree days, now I hear that we could have hail for the next two days. The nice thing about buckets is that I can move everything. It is a little crowded in the green house so some of these got snuggled up against the house, some of them are pressed against the chicken run, anywhere I can find an overhang to protect them for a couple of days.

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 4th_we13
Tomato Tent (poly cover) Zipper

So far, the stick on zipper is working GREAT! I need to be careful with it because it feels like it will not hold together if I man-handle it, but it is doing what I wanted. Yea!

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 4th_we14
I know, I know, this is one too many.

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 4th_we15
Snug inside the tomato tent, in the center squares, onions (red I think) and carrots plus a few radish. There are way too many tomato plants (8 per side).

They include (plums) Stripped Roma, Oroma, Black Plum, and Sheboygan. (Round of many colors and sizes) Persimmon, Lakota, Black Prince, Grandma's Pic, Stupice and ________ (can't remember). I wish there was a Brandywine or a Gold Medal. The globes have sisters in the greenhouse. They don't seem to be doing as well, but it could be that they are less crowded in their own pots. Wait! I remember, the last one is Ceylon. Cherry size but ruffled like Brandywine.

Good growing PNW!
Debs..... as the sun sets on Tuesday.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/22/2013, 5:35 pm

Pictures from last night Very Happy

SFG box #1 Marglobe, Oregon spring and Bush beef

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscf0322

Sweetie cherry

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscf0326

Boone Dock and Thia Pink Egg

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscf0325

Super bush

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscf0324

2- on the ends Maskota cherry & 2 in the middle Red Robbins all 4 have baby fruit on them

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscf0323

Super Itilian Paste

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscf0327

WA cherry

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscf0328

Gold Nugget

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscf0329

Jubilee

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Dscf0330

happy gardening
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/22/2013, 8:27 pm

Rose and Deb, I must live in a refrigerator compared to you two! I've only been able to get decent outdoor tomatoes in 2009 and the second half of last year. You two have them all over the place outside. Do you get good harvests outdoors during summers that are less than 'unusually hot for the PNW'?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/22/2013, 8:42 pm

LOL Boffer I think we are taking a big chance with the tomato plants being planted this early out side.... What a Face

2009 was the first time we planted anything....2 cucumber plants, 2 tomato plants and some walla walla onion starts. We planted them in ground in between our rose bushes in the front yard just for fun and was so happy and surprised on how well they grew and the harvest was fantastic that we built our first 2 4x4 boxes in 2010 to start gardening for real tongue

we have been experimenting, expanding and pushing the limits from then on rofl

on the ride home tonight from our sons PT session, I told my husband that i was worried about the tom's being out in the rain but figure with 20 plants we should be able to get a few ripe tomatoes this year PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 1280598131 at least we have hope rofl

happy gardening
rose....to be honest.....we were tired of up potting the plants Embarassed
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/22/2013, 8:49 pm

I'm not PNW, living in Maine, but love to see your tomatoes since you get yours out earlier. It gives one hope for our own future.

FamilyGard.....Are you sure your Oregon Spring is indeterminate? I had a few 3 years ago that were determinates. And by the way, in October they were once again coming into blossom and fruit but my season was too short for them to have a second flush of crops before frost hit us. Where yours start sooner, you may be able to get that 2nd harvest, so don't pull them out when they are done harvesting.
By the way, Oregon Springs can be put in the ground a month before one's last frost. They can take the cold.
PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 Oregon11
Oregon Spring tomatoes taken on Oct 2nd. See the new green fruits and I had lots of blossoms....and then the frost arrived.
Those states with longer growing seasons could get a 2nd harvest from their determinates.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/22/2013, 9:19 pm

Quiltbea funny you should mention about the Oregon spring being a Det instead of a indeterminate.....I was confused yesterday writting about the tomatoes we planted this year....I wrote in my tomato notes that the Oregon springs were a Det....but looking them up on Tomatofest web site where we purchased them they say its a Indeterminate :scratch: I must have read on another web site but not the site we ordered from that they were a Det....because thats what i thought they were and recorded them that way....but changed it in my post on the forum.....

http://store.tomatofest.com/Oregon_Spring_p/tf-0364.htm

Our Price: $2.95
Days: 60
Size: Indeterminate
Color: Red
Season: Early-Season

so Im not sure what they are....but happy to here from you that they hold up against the cold temps......and may give us a second crop cheers ......now I need to go out and look to see how many we planted....im thinking we only have one because the germination was not the greatest.....

happy gardening
rose who now wonders what Boffer thought of his Oregon spring he planted in the past.... tongue

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/22/2013, 9:31 pm

I personally didn't find the Oregon Spring to be very flavorful for a homegrown tomato, but better than the cardboard-flavored store boughts. And it was the earliest of the season so nice to eat fresh as opposed to store toms.
Almost forgot....another plus as can be see in my photo. No blight problems at all.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/22/2013, 9:33 pm

Don't you mostly grow Brandywines Boffer? Last year was a nice, late summer for tomatoes but I did not get Brandywines. I got a few nice persimmon tomatoes (late season) and buckets of Cour di Bou (late season) but none of the coveted Brandywines.

I put bags and bags of Beaverlodge into the freezer, just dropped them into bags (red-ripe) and into the freezer. I think I already said that they were unimpressive fresh picked, It was only my desire to not waste produce that caused me to put them in the freezer, but they were wonderful in January.

The hybrid, Grandma's Pic were very pretty on the vine but boring to eat. Clusters of large red tomatoes, fun to photograph, but I stuck them all in soup with Apple Jack (American Cognac). Black Plum Paste taste ok, ripen up nice but really are for cooking, the mouth feel isn't great for raw tomato pastas or salad. I still get freaked out with brown fruit. But "Have seed, will plant."

For fresh eating in Everett, Siltz (4 to 6 ounces) dependably ripen up in early August. Gold Nugget (Rose I hope you didn't get those because you see the name on my posts.... they are good but I thought I ordered Sun Gold, got these) is like candy in late July.

All of these are acceptable unless it is a Brandywine you are craving!

I consider ripe tomatoes a gift of the angels. I grow late season to harvest green and let them ripen in bowls, not for fresh eating but for soup and sauce. Early season tomatoes that get harvested green just rot in a bowl. I have five different plum tomatoes in my garden for two reasons. 1. I never seem to run out of black plum seeds and they stay viable. 2. I want more in my freezer.... and one more reason, to add to the bowls of green tomatoes for fall sauce.

Everett is almost a chilly as Yelm. (It warms up here when the politicians move south to Olympia…which seems close to Yelm)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/22/2013, 9:37 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:...rose who now wonders what Boffer thought of his Oregon spring he planted in the past.... tongue

Mine was an indeterminate, and I haven't planted any since for the same reason I don't plant Early Girl anymore: they're not much better than store bought.

Last year I tried Siberian tomatoes; they have similar cold weather tolerance and fruiting ability as Oregon Spring. It was poorest performing, producing, and tasting of the three.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/22/2013, 9:42 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:
Everett is almost a chilly as Yelm. (It warms up here when the politicians move south to Olympia…which seems close to Yelm)

Which would make Rose's yard a freezer! She's closer to Oly than I.

Nearly half of my toms are red Brandywine. I was eating them for lunch and dinner for nearly a month last year, and still had to freeze some cause I couldn't keep up. (They were in the greenhouse.)
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/22/2013, 9:47 pm

boffer wrote: ....snip....Nearly half of my toms are red Brandywine. I was eating them for lunch and dinner for nearly a month last year, and still had to freeze some cause I couldn't keep up. (They were in the greenhouse.)
Which is why I got a greenhouse.... then forgot to get a packet of Brandywine :drunken:

PNW Tomato Tuesday 2013 4th_we16
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/22/2013, 9:53 pm

Quiltbea good to know about the blight Smile your toms look so pretty in you picture Very Happy and thank you for sharing about the Oregon spring sunny

Deb the gold nugget is seed we had from last year that we couldnt get to grow....so decided to try it again this year .....we seem to have a lot of seeds too..... so far only the Sweetie cherry we love ....

we want to get to the point of a couple nice tomato plants that will grow well here in the PNW ..... allow us to eat fresh and to also can or freeze for the winter..... :drunken:....its fun to try differnt ones....but also its a lot of work starting them from seed....I got tired this year What a Face

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/22/2013, 10:01 pm

boffer wrote:
Lavender Debs wrote:

Which would make Rose's yard a freezer! She's closer to Oly than I.

Nearly half of my toms are red Brandywine. I was eating them for lunch and dinner for nearly a month last year, and still had to freeze some cause I couldn't keep up. (They were in the greenhouse.)

surround by politicians :lolsignwave: and living in the lots o artic........eek!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/22/2013, 10:12 pm

I keep about 10 of my tomato plants in the greenhouse, to ensure at least some tomatoes for the year. This year I have 7 different heirlooms, and I have several tomatoes that are 2-3 cm. It seems early to me because my recollection of last year is that we did not have red tomatoes until well into July. The ones planted in the garden are NOT happy though
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/22/2013, 10:22 pm

Wait a minute GWN, are you saying you have marble size reds affraid or are they still green. I'm gonna give the queen crown (Rose has it today) to you if those babies are red!!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/22/2013, 10:42 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:...Which is why I got a greenhouse.... then forgot to get a packet of Brandywine :drunken:

OH NOOOOOOOOO! Say it ain't so!

I've got a couple in pots I'll trade ya...
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/22/2013, 11:31 pm

Sorry that took so long, I had to go see what I have for trade.

These are all in 1 gallon pots and are between 18" and 2 feet tall (none are of the same quality as Brandywine)
  • 1 Ceylon
  • 1 Grandma's Pic
  • 2 Stupice
  • 1 Gold Nugget

Not much, the good stuff is all in the ground.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/22/2013, 11:53 pm

Wait a minute GWN, are you saying you have marble size reds or are they still green. I'm gonna give the queen crown (Rose has it today) to you if those babies are red!!
NOPE..... give it to ROSE. they are green.... It IS going to take awhile to get a red.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/23/2013, 9:07 am

I have brandywine, Dagma's perfection (from Nonna), Black Krim, Juane Flamme, Savignac ( a Canadian heirloom), Alicante (an heirloom I saved from last year) and chocolate cherry tomato. I tried starting a few others, but Sad they did not survive and I did not notice soon enough that they had perished to start more.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next