Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 Toplef10Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 I22gcj10Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 Toplef10Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 I22gcj10Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Starbucks for coffee grounds!

+12
countrynaturals
llama momma
Dan in Ct
yolos
ralitaco
has55
OhioGardener
No_Such_Reality
southern gardener
Lindacol
boffer
sanderson
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 Empty Re: Starbucks for coffee grounds!

Post  jimmy cee 4/12/2021, 10:24 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Vermicomposting at its best, Jimmy!  They did all the work, and you got all of the benefits. Very Happy

Tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment about 3 blocks away from Starbucks, so I'll have more grounds to bring home afterwards. I called Starbucks this morning, and she said they'd save them for me and will have my name on them so they won't go elsewhere.
Even though my local starbucks had many users of their grounds, they were always happy to see me. I often emptied their waiting shelves of 50 to 60 lbs of coffee...Diners would be another place to get them.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/17/2021, 4:49 pm

Love the Black Gold that Starbucks saves for us gardeners. Today's run came home with three large bags of grounds, and after removing the filters and random pieces of plastic there was about 4 cu ft of grounds to spread on the gardens. And, there were a lot of filters to put in the worm bin.

Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 Coffee16

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4518

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/22/2021, 8:48 pm

The daily pick up of Starbucks coffee grounds has gotten fairly large. The manager tells me that fewer people are picking up the grounds now, and she is glad that I am willing to take them.  I still have a few gardens to apply the grounds to, and then I may have to start a pile of just grounds to allow the worms to compost them as Jimmy Cee did one time.

This was today's pick up of coffee grounds, just over 150# total.
Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 Coffee17

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/22/2021, 10:30 pm

YES by all means. Start a pile on its own and leave it to the weather. You will never regret it..so many areas to use them in....
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/22/2021, 10:41 pm

I got two large bags from Starbucks today.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

jimmy cee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 4/23/2021, 7:10 am

Hi!

I am new to gardening and just started my first compost bin made out of used pallets. I'm so excited!

Other than adding the grounds to your compost bin, how else would you use coffee grounds in your garden? 

Also, how to you store them so they can weather?

Thanks.....I have soooooo much to learn!
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/23/2021, 8:31 am

jimmy cee wrote:YES by all means. Start a pile on its own and leave it to the weather. You will never regret it..so many areas to use them in....

thanks

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/23/2021, 8:42 am

JAM23 wrote:Other than adding the grounds to your compost bin, how else would you use coffee grounds in your garden? 

In addition to adding them to the compost bin, I spread them lightly on the soil of the garden beds. Don't bury them, just spread on the surface. They not only provide a lot of nutrients for the plants, including nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and copper, they are also a favorite food of the earthworms. Periodically refresh the coffee grounds on the surface to replace the ones that have been absorbed.

If you don't need them at the time for gardens just pile them up on the ground, and let them weather naturally. If they are piled on the ground, the earthworms will move up into them and break them down into plant available nutrients.

JAM23 wrote:Thanks.....I have soooooo much to learn!

Worry not, we all started there! For me it was 60-some years ago, and for others it was last week.  Remember that in gardening there are no failures, just experiments that didn't work.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 4/23/2021, 8:36 pm

Thank you for all that info! I can't wait to contact my local Starbucks!
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/23/2021, 10:23 pm

JAM23 wrote:Hi!

I am new to gardening and just started my first compost bin made out of used pallets. I'm so excited!

Other than adding the grounds to your compost bin, how else would you use coffee grounds in your garden? 

Thanks.....I have soooooo much to learn!
Do not concern yourself about coffee grounds....Make a small enclosure and add add add. they will take care of themselves. when you need some, just take what you need. In time you will notice worms of all types roaming around in them.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 Empty Coffee Filter Experiment

Post  OhioGardener 4/24/2021, 1:34 pm

I have mentioned before how I either throw the Starbucks coffee filters in the composter, bury them in the garden, or put them in the worm bin, but I've never checked to see how well they compost. So, I did a small experiment to find out.
Two weeks ago I picked up a large batch of grounds from Starbucks, and after separating the grounds from the filters, I had a 5 gallon bucket about half full of coffee soaked filters. I dug a hole in one of the raised beds to bury them, and covered them with about 6" of soil.
The next day I picked up another batch of grounds, and again separated the filters from the grounds. There was another half bucket full of filters. I dumped them into the compost tumbler along with the kitchen scraps. As usual, every other day I rotated the tumbler 5 times.
Today I dug up the soil in the raised bed to check on the filters, and was surprised to find there were barely any with enough paper left to recognize them. There was a mass of earthworms, though, and they appeared to be enjoying the feast.   Then I checked the compost tumbler where I had put the filters. About 1/3rd of the filters were still recognizable, and the rest had mostly decomposed. It will probably take the composter another week or two to complete the composting of the filters.
This was an interesting experiment to me. I thought the ones in the composter would decompose faster, but found the ones that were buried and available to the worms decomposed much faster.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/24/2021, 10:00 pm

Such enjoyment comes from experimenting. I learned a lot by just doing that...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Memphis Phil likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/25/2021, 5:54 pm

OhioGardener wrote:I have mentioned before how I either throw the Starbucks coffee filters in the composter, bury them in the garden, or put them in the worm bin, but I've never checked to see how well they compost. So, I did a small experiment to find out.
Two weeks ago I picked up a large batch of grounds from Starbucks, and after separating the grounds from the filters, I had a 5 gallon bucket about half full of coffee soaked filters. I dug a hole in one of the raised beds to bury them, and covered them with about 6" of soil.
The next day I picked up another batch of grounds, and again separated the filters from the grounds. There was another half bucket full of filters. I dumped them into the compost tumbler along with the kitchen scraps. As usual, every other day I rotated the tumbler 5 times.
Today I dug up the soil in the raised bed to check on the filters, and was surprised to find there were barely any with enough paper left to recognize them. There was a mass of earthworms, though, and they appeared to be enjoying the feast.   Then I checked the compost tumbler where I had put the filters. About 1/3rd of the filters were still recognizable, and the rest had mostly decomposed. It will probably take the composter another week or two to complete the composting of the filters.
This was an interesting experiment to me. I thought the ones in the composter would decompose faster, but found the ones that were buried and available to the worms decomposed much faster.
When you use the coffee filters either in a worm bin, tumbler, or buried in the ground, do you tear them up into smaller pieces or put them in whole.  I just emptied 3 LARGE bags of Starbucks coffee in one of my beds.  (I am using this bed this year for in-place composting for various reasons).  I have a large number of filters and the thought of shredding them by hand is keeping me from doing anything with them.  They are just sitting in my wheel barrow waiting for me to decide what to do with them.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/25/2021, 6:22 pm

yolos wrote:When you use the coffee filters either in a worm bin, tumbler, or buried in the ground, do you tear them up into smaller pieces or put them in whole. 

I don't bother tearing them up, and just put them in whole with the wet coffee grounds still stuck to them.  The only ones I tear open are, 1) the big bags of grounds used to make cold coffee; and 2) the larger bags of tea that are used to brew the iced tea, those are torn open to dump the tea out of them into the rest of the grounds.  The earthworms and microbes don't take long to devour the paper.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/25/2021, 8:28 pm

I've noticed that my coffee filters tend to take a long time to complete the composting process, so I've been tearing them into small pieces.  I separate the spent grounds and add to my *new* green barrel.  Browns are going into a separate container from now on, per Wayne's advice.  Perhaps that will enable me to have sufficient volume to do hot composting.  Unfortunately, the neighbor who offered me grass clippings hasn't dead-headed her dandelions, so I may not be able to accept that donation.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/29/2021, 5:59 pm

This morning I called a local Starbucks to ask if they would keep the coffee grounds for me to pick up this afternoon after a doctor's appointment near there. She said they would love to save them for me, and then said they still have the grounds from yesterday that nobody picked up if I would like to have them as well. I told her I'd take all of them if that would okay. So, stopped in there to pick up the grounds, and was surprised when the young guy came out with the bags. I ended up with 7 large bags of grounds, and I'd estimate each bag weighed between 40# and 50#. When I add these to the pile of grounds I started last week, it will about triple the size of the pile. Gonna be a bunch of busy worms in there! Very Happy

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/29/2021, 10:06 pm

OhioGardener wrote:This morning I called a local Starbucks to ask if they would keep the coffee grounds for me to pick up this afternoon after a doctor's appointment near there. She said they would love to save them for me, and then said they still have the grounds from yesterday that nobody picked up if I would like to have them as well. I told her I'd take all of them if that would okay. So, stopped in there to pick up the grounds, and was surprised when the young guy came out with the bags. I ended up with 7 large bags of grounds, and I'd estimate each bag weighed between 40# and 50#. When I add these to the pile of grounds I started last week, it will about triple the size of the pile. Gonna be a bunch of busy worms in there! Very Happy
Don't let them forget you. They change people constantly. some are not happy for the extra work....so I have found.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/30/2021, 8:42 am

jimmy cee wrote:Don't let them forget you. They change people constantly. some are not happy for the extra work....so I have found.

So true.  We have 5 Starbucks in our area, and 4 of them know me by my voice as soon as I call in. The fifth one isn't worth visiting - they don't want to be bothered with them, and all of their trash goes in with the grounds. The funny thing yesterday was after she told me about having the grounds I said, "Thanks so much!", and she replied, "No, thank you!"

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/15/2021, 10:37 am

A neighbor called a week or so ago to say that her daughter wants to get some raised beds, and asked if she could by to see ours. I told her I'd be happy to talk with her.  Well, she came by yesterday as I was out working in the gardens spreading out some coffee grounds. She told me I shouldn't be doing that because it would kill all of my plants. I was somewhat surprised at that, and asked where she heard that. She said she had put coffee grounds on her flowers one time, and it killed all of them. After some discussion, I told her wasn't sure what killed her plants, but I am sure it wasn't coffee grounds unless she had put them down so heavy that they smothered the plants.  To make a long story short, she said she will never use coffee grounds again, and I assured her I will keep using them. We did have a good discussion on the raised beds, setting them up, and caring for them, though.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/9/2021, 9:09 pm

I use a lot of coffee grounds in my gardens, and am frequently asked how I separate all of the "junk" out of the grounds. So, I made a short video on how I use an old dairy crate for that purpose. The video is a little broken in places because the camera kept overheating in our 93ºF weather, but I think it still gives a good overview of the process.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/9/2021, 10:39 pm

I like that method.  I have a couple of crates and will try it when I run out of coffee grounds and need more.
yolos
yolos

OhioGardener likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/6/2021, 10:10 pm

Labor Day Weekend is a busy time at Starbucks, and asking them to hold the used coffee grounds can result in a lot of grounds.  I collected a total of 14 bags of grounds, weighing between 40# and 50# each. Using the milk crate method to separate the grounds from the filters and miscellaneous trash made quick work of getting the grounds ready to spread on the beds as well as adding to the compost.

The bags of coffee grounds are unloaded from the Jeep and ready to sort out the filtersStarbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 Coffee18

The first load of grounds are ready to go to the gardens. That 6 cu ft wheelbarrow is nearly fullStarbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 1st_lo10

The second load of grounds are ready for the gardensStarbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 2nd_lo10

The third, and last load of grounds is ready for the compostStarbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 3rd_lo10

After separating all of the grounds, there were two 5-gallon buckets full of filters to add to the compostStarbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 Buckes10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/6/2021, 11:35 pm

Using the milk crate is a clever idea!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/21/2021, 8:48 am

The milk crate allows the coffee to fall through five spaces, one bottom and four sides.
Makes quick work of sifting.   I appreciate the colour matching with the crate and the wheelbarrow. Smile
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/21/2021, 8:55 am

Kelejan wrote: I appreciate the colour matching with the crate and the wheelbarrow. Smile
Starbucks for coffee grounds! - Page 3 3170584802

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next