Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
?'s about composts Toplef10?'s about composts 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

?'s about composts I22gcj10?'s about composts 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
?'s about composts Toplef10?'s about composts 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

?'s about composts I22gcj10?'s about composts 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

?'s about composts

+2
landarch
Serendipity3
6 posters

Go down

?'s about composts Empty ?'s about composts

Post  Serendipity3 5/2/2013, 1:24 pm

After a bump in the road weatherwise, I'm finally able to start my garden. We had a lot of flooding around here and besides being unable to get to most of my backyard, getting to the gardening centers was too difficult. I ended up getting out today to one very close and was elated to find that they had all the composts I could possibly want. Still have questions though. They had the following and I'm curious about two of them. Any feedback you could provide would be so apprectiated. You were all so very kind to provide me with so much information on my cotton burr question the last time I wrote. The composts I bought were -

Mushroom
Cotton Burr
Cow
Chicken
Dr. Earth Compost

The last two are the ones I have questions about. A man at the store warned me that he would not use equal parts of the chicken because he said it would burn the plants. It's much stronger than the others and he said something about the nitrogen. Should I use the chicken as 1/5 of my compost compostion or use less of that?

My second question is whether the Dr. Earth Compost is fine to use as 1/5. It contains organic materials, forest humus, fir bark, earthworm castings, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, soybean meal, fish meal, fish bone meal, micro active seaweed extract, aloe vera, yucca extract, oyster shells, and dolomite limes. It's fortified with probiotic soil mircrobes and endo and ecto mycorrhizae.

They only had fine vermiculite, but I did what was suggested on the forum and asked if they could order course and they had no problem doing that.

Let me know what you think.

The garden center I went to is Pesches and it's in the Northwest suburbs of Illinois if anyone in this area is having difficulty finding a variety.
Serendipity3
Serendipity3

Back to top Go down

?'s about composts Empty Re: ?'s about composts

Post  landarch 5/2/2013, 1:45 pm

Based on what they told you, it sounds like the chicken compost may not be truly a finished compost product yet (not done composting) and I would hold off on using it in your SFG. Instead I would go with what you have, or try to find one more source, and use the chicken material to start your own compost pile for your use in the future (maybe the fall garden).
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 5/2/2013, 2:01 pm

Your Dr. Earth compost seams an ideal one. Wish they had it here. I would shift it though to take out the big chunks of wood that is usually found in mixes with forest humus in them. I collected over eight cubic feet of wood chips out of the six bags I had bought. The chips make a good mulch so might as well use them because they're part and parcel with the compost that is available to me from the stores. When you open your bag of chicken compost, it should not stink to high heaven and it should be usable. If it does stink, then run it through the composting cycle again before using. Hope this helps with your question.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/2/2013, 7:01 pm

What is the brand name of your chicken compost? What does the bag say about using it. I use Black Hen brand (fertilizer) and the bag says "non burning". I have successfully used it as one of my 5 commercial composts. It is granulated and it smells to high heaven when first opened, but calms down when mixed into the MM. I consider it one of the workhorses of my mix. I understand Chickity doo doo is also a good brand to use.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Serendipity3 5/10/2013, 12:01 am

Thanks for your replies.

Kay, the brand is one you mentioned, Chickity Doo Doo. It says it's for vegetables and has a 5-5-2.5 on the front. It doesn't say "non burning", although I didn't read all smaller print...didn't get that close. Good to know that the smell will calm down.

Gunny, thanks for the advice on the wood chunks. The Dr. Earth did seem to be ideal.

Landarch, I wasn't sure if the guy at the store meant this brand in particular, or chicken compost in general. It was the only brand they carried.

What is considered to be too high a nitrogen amt. that would burn? I'm sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm not a very accomplished gardener and still not very knowledgeable on quite a bit.
Serendipity3
Serendipity3

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 5/10/2013, 10:39 am

Serendipity3 wrote:After a bump in the road weatherwise, I'm finally able to start my garden. We had a lot of flooding around here and besides being unable to get to most of my backyard, getting to the gardening centers was too difficult. I ended up getting out today to one very close and was elated to find that they had all the composts I could possibly want. Still have questions though. They had the following and I'm curious about two of them. Any feedback you could provide would be so apprectiated. You were all so very kind to provide me with so much information on my cotton burr question the last time I wrote. The composts I bought were -

Mushroom
Cotton Burr
Cow
Chicken
Dr. Earth Compost

The last two are the ones I have questions about. A man at the store warned me that he would not use equal parts of the chicken because he said it would burn the plants. It's much stronger than the others and he said something about the nitrogen. Should I use the chicken as 1/5 of my compost compostion or use less of that?

My second question is whether the Dr. Earth Compost is fine to use as 1/5. It contains organic materials, forest humus, fir bark, earthworm castings, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, soybean meal, fish meal, fish bone meal, micro active seaweed extract, aloe vera, yucca extract, oyster shells, and dolomite limes. It's fortified with probiotic soil mircrobes and endo and ecto mycorrhizae.

They only had fine vermiculite, but I did what was suggested on the forum and asked if they could order course and they had no problem doing that.

Let me know what you think.

The garden center I went to is Pesches and it's in the Northwest suburbs of Illinois if anyone in this area is having difficulty finding a variety.

Serendipity3,

I am really intrigued about your Dr. Earth compost. It sounds wonderful. I have checked three garden centers, and none of them carry it. I was just wondering: Where did you get your Dr. Earth Compost?
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Serendipity3 5/10/2013, 8:32 pm

Windmere, I bought it at a place called Pesche's. It's located on River Road in a city called Des Plaines, which is a northwest suburb of Chicago. They seemed to have quite a variety of Dr. Earth products.
Serendipity3
Serendipity3

Back to top Go down

?'s about composts Empty Thanks

Post  Windmere 5/10/2013, 10:16 pm

Hi Serendipity3,
Thanks for your response. I must say, you are very fortunate to have access to such a good compost. I actually had one of the nurseries try to convince me that they had something better. A quick look at the ingredients made it clear that what they wanted to sell me wasn't nearly as good.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 5/10/2013, 11:10 pm

The Dr. Earth compost sounds similar to one of the things I used as one of my composts. The Dr. Earth has a few more components in it. I used the Happy Frog brand. So far my plants are growing beautifully.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Serendipity3 5/10/2013, 11:14 pm

Hi Windmere,

You're very welcome. I was very fortunate to find so much around here. It surprised me since I'm not in a rural area. Now, if only the weather would start cooperating. Between dealing with flooding and cold temps., I'm starting to wonder if it'll ever get warm enough to plant my warm weather plants.

I had a guy try to talk me out of using dry peat moss with a liquid peat conditioner. I didn't even know there was liquid until he asked whether I wanted dry or liquid peat. He told me the liquid was better with vegetables, but after already loading up on the composts and coarse vermiculite, I wasn't going to start messing up the components of the mix. I've never used it before, and want to see firsthand.
Serendipity3
Serendipity3

Back to top Go down

Post  Serendipity3 5/10/2013, 11:19 pm

Jazzycat,

I've never heard of that brand, but I'm not really familiar with a lot of brands. It's good to hear your plants area growing beautifully. Unfortunately, I've very far behind at planting this year. Between the flooding, temps, and some family medical emergencies, I gave up on any spring planting and am aiming for summer planting. Hopefully next year I'll get an earlier start.
Serendipity3
Serendipity3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down