Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Community Garden Moving in fall Soil Toplef10Community Garden Moving in fall Soil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Community Garden Moving in fall Soil I22gcj10Community Garden Moving in fall Soil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Community Garden Moving in fall Soil Toplef10Community Garden Moving in fall Soil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Community Garden Moving in fall Soil I22gcj10Community Garden Moving in fall Soil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Community Garden Moving in fall Soil

+3
donnainzone5
audrey.jeanne.roberts
mschaef
7 posters

Go down

Community Garden Moving in fall Soil Empty Community Garden Moving in fall Soil

Post  mschaef 4/29/2013, 7:18 pm

Not sure how is the best way to "fix" the community garden soil for planting my garden this year. I have a plot in the community which just open a site down the street from my house. They are going to till up the ground and that is it. I'm not how to adjust the soil before starting to grow crops: should I just add compost? or should I add peat moss? or vermiculite? or non of it? I'm going to mark my square with dole rods and string and since I'm the only one doing the square foot gardening method in the community garden I really want it to work. I just can't afford to build the boxes and fill them just to have to leave them in the fall. Thanks for the advice!
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Community Garden Moving in fall Soil Empty Re: Community Garden Moving in fall Soil

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/29/2013, 7:24 pm

If you have room to store the soil in something like trash cans for the next year, I might use landscape cloth stapled to the bottom of a frame with a standard Mel's Mix inside of it placed on top of the ground. When the season is over, you could take your soil and lumber with you.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Community Garden Moving in fall Soil Empty Re: Community Garden Moving in fall Soil

Post  mschaef 4/29/2013, 7:52 pm

I'm moving across the country in the fall and the movers wont move soil so don't want to spend the money on the mel mix just to have to leave it.
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/29/2013, 8:10 pm

How many SFG beds do you have?

Do you have a truck or U-Haul?

You may be able to utilize a previous suggestion and take your beds with you.

donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/29/2013, 8:49 pm

mschaef wrote:I'm moving across the country in the fall and the movers wont move soil so don't want to spend the money on the mel mix just to have to leave it.
Gotcha! Maybe a more experienced gardener will chime in and give you suggestions - I'm afraid I'm a rookie and haven't gardened directly in the ground except for flower gardens. For that I've just mixed heavy amounts of compost dug into the garden and it's been adequate - but so much depends on what the soil is like to start.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/30/2013, 8:58 am

Compost and composted manure are your best friends in amending the soil. Look for free or inexpensive stuff on craigslist or freecycle.

Making raised beds could be as simple as placing boards on the lengths of your bed and pounding in retaining stakes. In the fall these stakes can be pulled up and the boards removed.

If you want to set up a new garden in your new place next year, at least you have a head start in that you know the basics of SFG and how to make Mel's mix.

Good luck with your garden and post some photos when you can.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Community Garden Moving in fall Soil WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 4/30/2013, 4:01 pm

My husband is being very amendment about not moving the boxes or soil so I'm planning on just using dole rods and string to make my squares in the community garden plot. The house we are moving to has 5-6 4x4 already there so I just need to to deal with the untreated community garden soil this summer. Thanks for the thoughts and advice its greatly appreciated!!! Very Happy
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  WI FarmChick 4/30/2013, 7:34 pm

Hi mschaef,

Can you just add a bunch of compost right on top of the "garden" area and then just plant in that and don't mix it in. not sure how deep but thinking 6" or so. can you find a whole lot of compost?

WI FarmChick
WI FarmChick

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 5/11/2013, 4:20 pm

The garden does not officially open until next Saturday but since my boys insisted on going over there yesterday and today just to watch them section off the areas for everyone they said we could start today. Very Happy My boys and I were excited to go and start getting square sectioned off in our area and get to work. But boy did I not realize how little they did for us. All they did was till up the area: grass, flowers, weeds, and rock included. I think it is going to take us a week just to get it ready to plant. Shesh. Shocked I will try to get some picture up so you guys can see. I just need to find the camera...wonder were the boys put it...hhmm.
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 5/20/2013, 2:56 pm

My son helping to get the rocks out of our garden plot.
Community Garden Moving in fall Soil Dscn1110

I made my square using dole rods and string. I made 4 "boxes" and just added compost to those sections. Here are pictures of the square marked and planted.
Community Garden Moving in fall Soil Dscn1111
Community Garden Moving in fall Soil Dscn1112
The plants that are planted are: 2 tomatoes, 3 jack be little pumpkins, 1 basil, 2 parsley, 1 thyme, 1 oregano, 6 peppers and 6 different types flowers and lots of marigolds. I have seeds/ starts of 3 sqs. carrots, 2 sq garlic, 3 sq onions, 4 sq. bush green beans, 1 of each of the following: chard, lettuce, radish, parsnips, rainbow chard and kale.

Now my question:
I planted everything on Saturday. The last two nights we have loads of rain as well as all day yesterday. Should I reseed my carrots and other seed? I'm wondering if the rain would have washed them away. Any thoughts?
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 5/27/2013, 12:53 pm

I am one happy camper I have converted at least 3 people to give the square foot gardening method a try in the community garden and let me tell you theirs looks so much nicer than mine. Granted I dont have much extra money to spend on wood and mulch and stuff.
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/27/2013, 7:43 pm

I think sometimes you have to do what you can do and you really don't have any other options! At least you will have some fun growing, harvesting and eating this year and when you get settled next year, you can grow your sfg for real!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 5/27/2013, 10:48 pm

Thanks trica I know that I will one day have my own home and yard to have sfg in but now I will just be content with the community garden. Also the military has changed their mind they will not be moving us in the fall like we had been told. Rolling Eyes
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/28/2013, 3:00 pm

Quote from mschaef. . .
I made my square using dole rods and string. I made 4 "boxes" and just added compost to those sections.
Unquote.

That was a really sensible thing you did there. Very Happy

And kudos to you for converting three others; great support for each other.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/28/2013, 11:32 pm

mschaef wrote:Thanks trica I know that I will one day have my own home and yard to have sfg in but now I will just be content with the community garden. Also the military has changed their mind they will not be moving us in the fall like we had been told. Rolling Eyes

That is annoying that they can move you so easily! I hope you garden does well!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down