Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How tall should vertical support be? Toplef10How tall should vertical support be? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How tall should vertical support be? I22gcj10How tall should vertical support be? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How tall should vertical support be? Toplef10How tall should vertical support be? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How tall should vertical support be? I22gcj10How tall should vertical support be? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How tall should vertical support be?

+5
Lindacol
NightMist
GaRedClay
floyd1440
whompy
9 posters

Go down

How tall should vertical support be? Empty How tall should vertical support be?

Post  whompy 4/13/2013, 1:08 am

I'm making my first SFG, and want to try vertical gardening to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, sugar baby watermelons, and squash. I was planning on using a cattle panel from tractor supply for the support, but I noticed that it's only 50 inches high. Is that too short? Will my vertical support need to be at least 5 or 6 feet high? What do you all recommend? Thanks!
whompy
whompy

Back to top Go down

How tall should vertical support be? Empty Re: How tall should vertical support be?

Post  floyd1440 4/13/2013, 8:06 am

I built mine about 6 foot high and my toms went over the trellis so I would go with at least 7 or maybe 8 foot. What kind of melons are you going to grow on your trellis?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

How tall should vertical support be? Empty Re: How tall should vertical support be?

Post  GaRedClay 4/13/2013, 8:18 am

That would depend on what varieties you are planting, Yes, some tomatoes are indeterminate and others are determinate meaning some keep growing till frost other produce a crop and thats it. Some cukes and squash can grow up a tree, so check their vining characteristics.
Maybe some one here can recommend short vining varieties. I have lots of planting space so I don't plant the space savers types.
GaRedClay
GaRedClay

Back to top Go down

Post  NightMist 4/13/2013, 10:18 am

50 inches is definitely too short for most varieties of the plants you are planning.
It would be workable for most 'matos, they will happily go up one side and then sort of tumble down the other. That might be a little inconvenient for you, depending on where you place your beds and how close together.

Even bush varieties of squash and cukes are going to be too big for fifty inch panels. They will probably do the up and over thing, but they are less tidy about it and may grab onto each other, nearby plants, or themselves during the climb down. Hence the common pyramid or box design when building trellises for them, gives them something to hang onto so they do not strangle or impede each other.

I have been told repeatedly that Sugar Babies are not optimal for trellising. Why people feel a need to tell me that when what I usually grow are Cream of Saskatchewan or Sugar Lump is beyond me. Trellising melons does require attention, but they are just fine with going up instead of all over every which a way. You always need more width than you think too. IME they are not vigorous grabbers, so they will probably be fine with the up and over, provided that you invest in pantyhose and tie them for support. I generally use the hose for melon hammocks too. Sugar Babies are supposed to only grow to six feet, but I have never yet met a melon that paid attention to it's description.
NightMist
NightMist

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 4/13/2013, 11:37 am

One my bed in my avatar, which is 2 blocks high, I use the 52" cattle panels and it works fine for me. I have had toms, beans & cucumbers on the trellises and it works for me. They do require pruning and do cascade over. But I do not want to have to climb to work on them - getting too old for that.

By 2 of my tabletops I have a makeshift 6' high trellis. The plants vine up and down (to the ground) that one.

Think of how you are going to be able to prune and harvest the plants when deciding how tall you want your trellises.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 4/13/2013, 2:12 pm

I need to clarify - the 52" cattle panel sits on top of the blocks so the top of it is 6' off the ground. It is supported by T posts. I'm thinking I might raise it a few inches off the blocks on taller T posts. Nothing is climbing it right now so I could do it.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 4/13/2013, 7:19 pm

How about arching your cattle panel? There are some great pics on this forum and the web.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/14/2013, 11:32 am

My vertical supports are 5' tall. When things get taller than that I just gently bend them over & start weaving them back down.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

How tall should vertical support be? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/14/2013, 11:41 am

Lol, you guy's are smarter using shorter trellis's and just making things grow back down. Mine are 9-10 foot tall and I just keep letting things go till I've got to break out the ladder...somethings wrong with that picture! Razz thinking

How tall should vertical support be? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/14/2013, 11:44 am

RoOsTeR wrote:Lol, you guy's are smarter using shorter trellis's and just making things grow back down. Mine are 9-10 foot tall and I just keep letting things go till I've got to break out the ladder...somethings wrong with that picture! Razz thinking
LOL, yup, I have the same trouble. I am cutting down my 10' trellis to 7' this year.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

How tall should vertical support be? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down