Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Worm Composter Toplef10Worm Composter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Worm Composter I22gcj10Worm Composter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Worm Composter Toplef10Worm Composter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Worm Composter I22gcj10Worm Composter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Worm Composter

+8
littlejo
bnoles
jazzycat
CapeCoddess
Coelli
llama momma
Boz
Okoboji Gardner
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Worm Composter Empty Worm Composter

Post  Okoboji Gardner 3/24/2013, 9:56 pm

I found a worm composter on line at Lehman's. Does anyone know about worm composters or just composters in general?
Okoboji Gardner
Okoboji Gardner

Back to top Go down

Worm Composter Empty Re: Worm Composter

Post  Boz 3/24/2013, 10:15 pm

They appear to be selling the Worm Factory 360. I have used the old model and the new 360. They both work pretty well. The amount of worms they can house and the volume of food they can process in a week are probably over rated.
I am not a worm factory expert just a user.
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/25/2013, 5:28 am

I currently have 3 rubbermaid type bins each about 6 dollars for the 18 gal /size. Initial purchase of one bin was 7 dollars plus one pound of worms with shipping was another 28 dollars. You can probably find a local source of worms to avoid some long distance shipping lossses. It's more cost effective to start out small while building a personal learning curve. I've learned a lot over the past year!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 3/25/2013, 4:20 pm

Like llama mama, I made my own from a Rubbermaid Roughneck Tote (two, actually - one drains into the other). The initial setup was very inexpensive and I soon expanded to a second bin which I gave to a friend, and I am about to start my second, second bin. I'm not sure you really need a fancy worm farm when you're just starting out. Smile
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/1/2013, 3:57 pm

I tried to grow potatoes in some finished compost in a 5 gal bucket indoors over the past couple of months. Watered every once in a while when it seemed dry but nothing ever happened. I gave up and I started throwing in household waste...using the bucket like a scrap holder til I could get outside to the compost pile. When I could finally dump it out yesterday I was shocked to see that it was mostly worms! Shocked They were about 2 inches thick! It was amazing. I had my own worm bin and never even knew it.

I didn't think my finished compost had worms in it. Maybe they hatched from eggs?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/1/2013, 4:16 pm

CC
Absolutely you must've had cocoons. When compost comes down to a nice temperature they use it for their buffet but they return lots of goodies, mate with each other and give you more worms. What kind of wonderful guest gives back probably more than they took?
BB\'s happy face BB\'s happy face
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 5/1/2013, 5:57 pm

I'm planning on getting (or making) a worm bin sometime in the next few months. It's expensive to keep buying it, but I think it's an important additive. sooooooooo...

How exactly do you make them? Are there instructions somewhere on here? (if so, I will search)
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/1/2013, 6:10 pm

There is a rather large thread I started early last year called 1000 worms on the way. But I would strongly suggest you get the little book called, Worms eat my Garbage, by Mary Appelhof. I think its a classic introduction, the book has been around quite sometime. There is a very extensive web site called redwormcomposting.com. It's got a Huge volume of material. Great but maybe TMI for just starting out.
I use several 18 gallon plastic containers. If you find local worms on findworms.com then you avoid the killing smelly heat issue that can be a concern with shipping in warm weather. There should be other sites to search too if that one no longer works. If you must get them shipped, order on a Monday so you receive worms the same week. If you forget, most shippers will tell you up front they only ship on mondays or tuesdays anyway. Lastly, it is ideal to start aging your moistened bedding with food a good week or two before the worm kids arrive. The bacterial process will get things up and ready for them as soon as they arrive.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 5/1/2013, 6:16 pm

Today I ordered 1000 live meal worms that I will be raising for my chickens. These look so easy to breed and care for. If all goes well with these, then I'm sure that it will only be a matter of time before LM's worm karma drags me deeper into the worm world. What a Face
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 5/1/2013, 6:20 pm

Thanks llama momma! I will find the thread and check out the site. AND order the book! LOL I've seen it before on Amazon. It may actually be saved in one of my lists, but I don't remember.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/1/2013, 6:24 pm

C'mon Bob, I know you want redworms Smile
Use Darth Vader voice....It...is...your... destiny...heavy breathing...
I'm interested in your meal worm adventure. Would like to grow them fresh for the bluebirds out back but haven't gotten around to it.

jazzy -- go for it, and your worm castings will be super fresh, and be sure to tell Bob all about it Razz
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 5/1/2013, 9:02 pm

Jazzycat, worms are not hard to raise, and they give lots of castings for the garden. Probably, your worm castings that you've been buying have some worm cocoons in them. You could take your castings, put in a bin, with some shredded paper, and a bit of peelings from veggies, and in a few weeks some cocoons will hatch, maybe.
If not, send me a pm and I think it might be time for a road trip. I'll bring you some worms when you are ready, don't buy any! I'm only about 60 miles, I think.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2013, 9:23 pm

... Or you could go to the convenience store or gas station and buy some fishing worms. Those are usually red wigglers. What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Worm Composter WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 5/1/2013, 9:26 pm

littlejo wrote:Jazzycat, worms are not hard to raise, and they give lots of castings for the garden. Probably, your worm castings that you've been buying have some worm cocoons in them. You could take your castings, put in a bin, with some shredded paper, and a bit of peelings from veggies, and in a few weeks some cocoons will hatch, maybe.
If not, send me a pm and I think it might be time for a road trip. I'll bring you some worms when you are ready, don't buy any! I'm only about 60 miles, I think.
Jo

Cool! Thanks Jo!

I have noticed, there are a few little sprouts in there sometimes. Very Happy Not many, but one here and there. I think that's funny. Very Happy

I'm going tomorrow (hopefully) to get another bag or two. I'll try doing what you said with some of them. Of course, I actually need a bin...

And camprn, thanks! Another good idea. What a Face
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/2/2013, 7:38 am

camprn wrote:... Or you could go to the convenience store or gas station and buy some fishing worms. Those are usually red wigglers. What a Face

That's what we did camprn. Every time the boys and I went fishing last year, we bought worms. Any leftovers went into the beds. Last week, when the boys and I mixed in fresh compost, our beds are thriving with crawlers! They obviously have ways of protecting themselves through winter Wink

On the homepage, left hand side, there is a bumpy like tab that if you hover over it, has link to worm topics. Other top notch topics too.

Worm Composter Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/2/2013, 8:12 am

Jazzy
Another idea -- from a composting book, a shoebox (child size shoe box works fine too) with a few holes in the sides. Place it in the ground. Put wet scraps in it to attract free backyard native worms. Things like kitchen waste, peelings for example, oatmeal, old cereal, etc. A good handful or so. In a few days to a week the contents will start rotting nicely and the native worms will move right in to break everything down. This is how I collected backyard worms to fill an experimental worm tube. Even when I removed the worm tube that particular sfg box had the most worms remaining months later. They must have bred and left cocoons. I've got several shoe boxes ready to corral worms to fill all of my sfg boxes with worm tubes.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Worm Composter Empty What an amazing idea!

Post  Windmere 5/2/2013, 8:41 am

llama momma wrote:Jazzy
Another idea -- from a composting book, a shoebox (child size shoe box works fine too) with a few holes in the sides. Place it in the ground. Put wet scraps in it to attract free backyard native worms. Things like kitchen waste, peelings for example, oatmeal, old cereal, etc. A good handful or so. In a few days to a week the contents will start rotting nicely and the native worms will move right in to break everything down. This is how I collected backyard worms to fill an experimental worm tube. Even when I removed the worm tube that particular sfg box had the most worms remaining months later. They must have bred and left cocoons. I've got several shoe boxes ready to corral worms to fill all of my sfg boxes with worm tubes.

I love this idea llama mama! What an inexpensive way to obtain worms. You rock!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 5/2/2013, 8:44 am

bnoles wrote:Today I ordered 1000 live meal worms that I will be raising for my chickens. These look so easy to breed and care for. If all goes well with these, then I'm sure that it will only be a matter of time before LM's worm karma drags me deeper into the worm world. What a Face

funny post rofl
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Worm Composter Empty Neem oil and worms?

Post  Windmere 5/2/2013, 8:50 am

Hello all... I've read all the posts on this thread and I find it all fascinating. I wanted to know from you worm experts: If I use neem oil spray on my plants, and the neem oil drains into my soil... will it kill the worms? My daughter and I have held off on depositing the earthworms we find into the soil of her potted raspberry bush. We are afraid the worms will be doomed by the neem oil run off.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/2/2013, 11:47 am

Glad you liked the shoe box worm corral idea. I enjoyed getting free worms! About Neem, I don't know if it harms worms, if your boxes are on the ground and the worms don't like it my guess is they'll take off till the environment improves for them. If no one here knows for sure then I'd call your extension service for advice. Maybe the fine print on the neem bottle will mention something. I think worms are in the what, helminth(?) family so if it says a anti-helminthic that would be pretty bad for worms. Oops just saw the plant in question is in a pot, I bet worms would squeeze out the drainage holes if they needed to escape What a Face
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 5/2/2013, 2:20 pm

llama momma wrote:Jazzy

I love this idea! Heading to the out building now to look for some shoe boxes, will plastic ones work? I knew you would finally find a way to drag me into this... I just knew it! Twisted Evil Shocked
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/2/2013, 6:54 pm

Sure the plastic should be fine, all my redworms live in plastic containers in the basement. Enjoy your wormies! And by the way... FINALLY GOTCHA Congrats, Worm-Daddy!! jocolor
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 5/2/2013, 7:03 pm

llama momma wrote:And by the way... FINALLY GOTCHA Congrats, Worm-Daddy!! jocolor

Hey! I thought I was the "Chicken Daddy" rofl rofl rofl

Thanks for the reply, I found some plastic ones in the shed and will put them to work with my grandson over the weekend.
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 5/2/2013, 8:47 pm

hahaha! I just love the way this thread has evolved. What a Face

Thanks for all the tips. I can't wait to get started on this project, but it will have to wait a few weeks. Although... hmmm, I wonder if the worms are attracted to bokashi, because I buried a bucket full (my first) about 2 weeks ago where I want to plant the blueberry bushes. I believe it should be ready by now, but it's raining, so I haven't planted them yet.

Bokashi ferments the food (with EM) to make it super easy/fast for composting. I wonder if there are worms there now...
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/2/2013, 9:44 pm

llama momma wrote:Another idea -- from a composting book, a shoebox (child size shoe box works fine too) with a few holes in the sides.

LM do you only put the holes in the sides. What about the bottom?? Are you trying to get the worms to come up into the box or just below the box.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next