Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts Toplef10Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts I22gcj10Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts Toplef10Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts I22gcj10Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts

2 posters

Go down

Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts Empty Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts

Post  plantasia 3/16/2013, 12:02 pm

Wink Hi! Just joined here, but I've been gardening the square foot way for about 5 years. Since moving to my "new" house almost three years ago I've worked with my husband (I'm the mind behind the madness...he's the muscle) to create a potager/kitchen garden in my side yard--clearly visible from the road, and close to the house. I'm doing my best to make it beautiful because it's my baby. When it's completed (last year we only got half of the potager built before I just needed to plant) it will have 8 4x4 boxes, 8 3x3 boxes, and two rectangular 4x8 boxes along the sides. I have three foot concrete paver paths between (ripped up from an old patio and reused) In the middle it will have a seating area with a pergola above (completed, and beautiful!) and a brick patio (promised to be done by Mother's Day--we'll see)--which is currently gravel. I purchased a pretty iron patio table with bench and chairs for $30 off of Craigslist last summer. We're planning on sandblasting off the rusty spots and repainting glossy black. I love to sit there and eat my breakfast with my kiddos after an early morning gardening session. (I tend to sneak outside really early before my kids wake so I can have my "zen" garden time, but then they find me--and "help" with the garden. Smile I'm a teacher so I love having the summer off to GARDEN. My dad has always been a gardener, but he's not super supportive of my square foot gardening efforts. He's a skeptic, still doing the "inch by inch, row by row" thing...but I'm intending to convert him once he gets an eyeful this summer. For the first time I've started seeds indoors (built myself a wire rack/grow light thing in the basement). I've made some mistakes (already starting cucumber seeds for one--they're huge...surely won't make it until mid-May planting, but I'll try). I'm heading out soon to try to make some hoop house contraptions over a few raised beds. That'll be a first too. I'm finding I just can't wait to get outdoors this year. How 'bout you?
plantasia
plantasia

Back to top Go down

Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts Empty Re: Hello from Southcoast, Massachusetts

Post  quiltbea 3/16/2013, 12:23 pm

plantasia, welcome to the forum. I like your vision.
That's one of the best things about SFG. You can have an attractive garden and you can enjoy it like another room off your home in the seasons. Lovely to just sit and enjoy.
I hope you will share pics with us when you're spring garden gets going.
I hear you about the cukes. I never start peas indoors but thought I'd try it this year. I have 10 lovely little gals waving their cheery heads and waiting to be put outside, but alas, my garden is still under over a foot of hard snow with our nites hitting low and mid teens right now and days sometimes not even above freezing. Its a bad year to start early in my neck of the woods. I hope I can keep them happy til they can go outside.
If I have to, I'll plant them in a large pot with a tomato cage to keep them happy, and me, too.
In any case, I just love getting my seeds started each spring. It gives me hope for the future.
Think Spring!
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down