Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric Toplef10Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric I22gcj10Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric Toplef10Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric I22gcj10Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric

5 posters

Go down

Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric Empty Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric

Post  LikeToGarden 3/6/2013, 11:42 pm

I did some searches before posting and read the SFG member's postings on Table Top Raised Beds.

My question is what type/brands of landscape/weed fabric?

I bought some last year to start a project and decided to do it this spring. I went to the garage and picked up the landscape/weed fabric and it fell apart. So I want to get the correct type so as all the soil mix doesn't fall to the ground.

One other question. I plant on using a remineralizer along with Mel's Mix and was wonder if anyone has plans to capture the drainage form the mix to re-apply to the soil mix - or is this not correct to do?
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric Empty Re: Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric

Post  Gunny 3/7/2013, 12:03 am

Howdy,
I used plywood bottoms on my table beds then took a contractor's bag and covered the bottom and up the sides about four inches, punched a hole in the center and placed a bucket under to catch any runoff to recycle through the table bed. No use wasting the nutrients that flow through with the runoff. Hope this will help a little.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric Empty Re: Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric

Post  LikeToGarden 3/7/2013, 1:18 am

Thanks for the re-cycle tip.

I've been thinking of going the plywood bottom route instead of the landscape fabric - I got some information about a product (Pro) and it's $156 a roll (large roll 5' x 250') plus shipping. So the plywood bottom is looking good.
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/7/2013, 2:47 am

BTW Gunny are you using landscape fabric inside on the plywood bottom? And what thickness of plywood 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 1/4 inch etc
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/7/2013, 4:25 am

Like to Garden-
I don't have the landscape fabric wrapping anymore, or I'd tell you the brand name and description. I do recall it lasted for 10 years. Look for similar durability and I bet you'll be alright. Mine is just 2 yrs old and no problems so far. Haven't a clue about the remineralizer you mentioned, we don't use it in sq. ft. gardening.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/8/2013, 12:16 am

Thanks for your information on the landscape fabric llama momma.
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 3/8/2013, 9:50 am

LikeToGarden, you are asking about building a tabletop. You will need a support underneath to support the weight of moistened MM and your plants. Mel recommends (exterior) plywood with drain holes. Holes are placed in the center of each square and in each of the four corners. The landscape fabric is used inside to keep the MM from washing out. Landscape fabric can't be used as a bottom for the box, it is far too weak. Other possibilities for the bottom include galvanized hardware cloth (I used 1/2"), galvanized or stainless steel expanded metal lath, and plastic or cedar lattice. You can find all this stuff at Lowes or Home Depot.

As far as a remineralizer, I don't know what that would be used for. thinking The MM used in SFG is very absorbent and holds water well. You don't need to water the bed until water is running out in buckets. Just keep it evenly moist. And SFG is based on using compost as the only nutrient source. Chemical fertilizers are not used, so there is no mineral runoff to capture. Nutrient cations are bound to the organic matter in the mix and are resistant to being flushed out by watering. That's what is great about SFG. It is a well researched system that just works and makes gardening much simpler and enjoyable. Very Happy
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 155

http://davessfggarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 3/8/2013, 10:33 am

Hi LikeToGarden,

Here is a great post by Boffer with a lot of good info on building Table top SFGs
Building a table top sfgsome ideas
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/8/2013, 4:24 pm

Howdy,
When I built my beds I just added legs to them to bring them up to the level that I wanted. Real easy. All my table beds are made out of reclaimed and repurposed lumber. No cost to me except the deck screws. I made four half beds and one 3x6 that was mostly pre-made. Very simple to do, used 2x4's and attached them to the outside to reinforce the corner joints. Have fun.
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/8/2013, 10:00 pm

dvelten wrote:LikeToGarden, you are asking about building a tabletop. You will need a support underneath to support the weight of moistened MM and your plants. Mel recommends (exterior) plywood with drain holes. Holes are placed in the center of each square and in each of the four corners. The landscape fabric is used inside to keep the MM from washing out. Landscape fabric can't be used as a bottom for the box, it is far too weak. Other possibilities for the bottom include galvanized hardware cloth (I used 1/2"), galvanized or stainless steel expanded metal lath, and plastic or cedar lattice. You can find all this stuff at Lowes or Home Depot.

As far as a remineralizer, I don't know what that would be used for. thinking The MM used in SFG is very absorbent and holds water well. You don't need to water the bed until water is running out in buckets. Just keep it evenly moist. And SFG is based on using compost as the only nutrient source. Chemical fertilizers are not used, so there is no mineral runoff to capture. Nutrient cations are bound to the organic matter in the mix and are resistant to being flushed out by watering. That's what is great about SFG. It is a well researched system that just works and makes gardening much simpler and enjoyable. Very Happy

Actually dvelten I am trying to find a brand of landscape fabric that doesn't tear to sherds within a year - as I mentioned in my beginning post. Someone told me to get the DuPont Pro but they quick making it last year.
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/8/2013, 10:02 pm

Hoggar wrote:Hi LikeToGarden,

Here is a great post by Boffer with a lot of good info on building Table top SFGs
Building a table top sfgsome ideas

Actually that was the first thread I read Hoggar. Excellent thread. But did not say which type of landscape fabric to use
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/8/2013, 10:03 pm

Gunny wrote:Howdy,
When I built my beds I just added legs to them to bring them up to the level that I wanted. Real easy. All my table beds are made out of reclaimed and repurposed lumber. No cost to me except the deck screws. I made four half beds and one 3x6 that was mostly pre-made. Very simple to do, used 2x4's and attached them to the outside to reinforce the corner joints. Have fun.

Thanks Gunny for the tips.
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/8/2013, 11:13 pm

You're welcome BTW I didn't use any fabric in the beds. Just wanted something simple and easy as my growing season was fast approaching and I had a lot to do. If you are using commercial compost, be sure to sift it before you make up your MM, because there is a lot of foreign objects in it. Not all natural stuff. This is true even if it is certified organic. Hope this helps.
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/9/2013, 4:13 am

Would this type of home made shifter work
todayshomeowner [DOT] com/video/soil-sifter/
it seems the cheapest way to go.
Should I make two one at 1/4 and one at 1/2 and do two shifts?
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/9/2013, 8:13 am

I think if you are young enough to use that type of sifter it would be fine. I would go with the 1/4" cloth though, I first used the 1/2" because it was available, but found that it let to much through that wasn't good so I had to go and get 1/4" and built a frame for my wheelbarrow so that the sifter rides on the frame and moves back and forth. This I can do sitting down and it takes the strain off of my 6'4" frame. Most everything is built for the vertically challenged individual which makes my life very painful with everything so low to the ground. If I can sit down and do it I will. Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric 1st_be11 This is one of my table beds when I was putting them together and this is my site down sifter on the wheelbarrow,
Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric Shifte10
And this is my garden on the one week ago looking South
Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric 3-2_ga10
And looking North
Help - Table Top w Hardware Cloth w Landscape/Weed Fabric Garden11
I am thinking of building one more sifter using the 1/8" cloth for a really fine mix for seed starting, but that is down the road for awhile. I hope all of this will be a help to you. Happy gardening,
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/9/2013, 6:19 pm

Thanks Gunny for all your help. I went and got the materials to build some beds starting with a 2' x 4'x 6" Table Top bed.
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down