Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard Toplef10finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard I22gcj10finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard Toplef10finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard I22gcj10finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard

4 posters

Go down

finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard Empty finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard

Post  bvarbel 3/1/2013, 3:44 pm

I can find 2 cu ft of vermiculite for about $20 at Home depot...so it sucks I need to buy 2 bags of it.

I can find Peat Moss for 3 cu ft for $13 at Home Depot...that should be enough.

I can find a few types of compost at home depot but the variety is slim pickings and its expensive.

The way I calculated it is I'm looking at $75-$100 on soil components and some of that will be extra.

I wish I could just find all components mixed and ready to go. The home depots and lowes around here don't carry mels mix, and my own compost pile isn't quite finished yet--though it has a huge variety of components.

I was hoping to buy the soil and build the frame for under $100. I'm wasting a lot of time frustrated that the bags don't come in 2.667 cubic feet quantities. Locating inexpensive compost is hard too.

Right now I'm aiming for 3 cu ft of each...my frame will be 8" so all the excess can still go in there. This feels like a wild goose hunt, and I'm not that good at it. Even the nurseries around here don't carry all the components so that I can do a 1 stop shop.

bvarbel
bvarbel

Male Posts : 48

Back to top Go down

finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard Empty Re: finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard

Post  wncsohn 3/1/2013, 4:11 pm

I feel your pain! Finding various composts can be a total pain in the buttocks.

For composts, try craigslist.

I know I've been able to locate horse manure to use for composting (composted pretty quick too, since I was making a "hot" pile) You might also be able to locate chicken, rabbit or goat manure as well.

Rabbit & goat manures can be used directly in the beds without composting, as long as there are no hay/seeds mixed in.

The most expensive ingredient is the Vermiculite. And take heart, once you've got them started, upkeep is much much easier.

I'd also like to suggest starting a worm bin if you can! Worm castings are the most awesome thing to add to a garden bed.
wncsohn
wncsohn

Female Posts : 98

Back to top Go down

finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard Empty Re: finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard

Post  camprn 3/1/2013, 4:11 pm

When I was starting my SFG and was having trouble with money and finding vermiculite I opted for buying a few bales of BM6. BM1 & BM8 are also available. The reason I chose that product was because it was a compressed bale of sphagnum peat and perlite. Perlite is a perfectly acceptable alternative to the vermiculite.

Where it really counts is the varieties of compost. Don't skimp on those. If you cut corners with the compost mix, your results in the garden will be less than desired.

finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard Bm6%20web

http://www.jrjohnson.com/home.php?cat=348

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

finding all the stuff I need on a budget is very hard WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/1/2013, 4:24 pm

The High Desert is a big area. What area are you in? Craigslist has several ads now for free compost/aged manure in the the Phelan & Oak Hills area. My offer still stands if you want to come down the hill to Bloomington for homemade compost based on goat manure and alfalfa hay(with various other goodies added). Of course I realize the fuel cost might not make this cost effective.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  bvarbel 3/1/2013, 4:42 pm

Lindacol wrote:The High Desert is a big area. What area are you in? Craigslist has several ads now for free compost/aged manure in the the Phelan & Oak Hills area. My offer still stands if you want to come down the hill to Bloomington for homemade compost based on goat manure and alfalfa hay(with various other goodies added). Of course I realize the fuel cost might not make this cost effective.

Hi, I drive down the hill to Rancho cucamonga all the time, so that's no biggie. Is your compost good enough that I only need yours? I would love to stop by and take you up on your offer. I just don't like the wild goose chase.

Also is your compost usable from day one or do I need to further compost it. Thank you again so much for your several offers.

I live in North Victorville by the way. About 45 minutes from Bloomington, but I can hit the 15 or 215 to the 10 or 210 pretty easily.
bvarbel
bvarbel

Male Posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/1/2013, 11:09 pm

bvarbel wrote:
Lindacol wrote:The High Desert is a big area. What area are you in? Craigslist has several ads now for free compost/aged manure in the the Phelan & Oak Hills area. My offer still stands if you want to come down the hill to Bloomington for homemade compost based on goat manure and alfalfa hay(with various other goodies added). Of course I realize the fuel cost might not make this cost effective.

Hi, I drive down the hill to Rancho cucamonga all the time, so that's no biggie. Is your compost good enough that I only need yours? I would love to stop by and take you up on your offer. I just don't like the wild goose chase.

Also is your compost usable from day one or do I need to further compost it. Thank you again so much for your several offers.

I live in North Victorville by the way. About 45 minutes from Bloomington, but I can hit the 15 or 215 to the 10 or 210 pretty easily.

I use it straight but if going strictly by the book you might want t add in something that is more plant based such as Ecoscraps (available at HD in Mira Loma the 15 at Limonite) as mine is heavy on the manure part. I have a bin that is finished & ready to use. You may want to sift it but I don't. Then I have another working pile that probably needs a couple of turnings and some time. Then I have one that I am piling new stuff in. Then I also have lots of fresh goat manure available. I have plenty and my beds are all topped off for now so I am willing to share.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down