Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do you "pre-season budget" your gardening expenses? Toplef10Do you "pre-season budget" your gardening expenses? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do you "pre-season budget" your gardening expenses? I22gcj10Do you "pre-season budget" your gardening expenses? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by yolos Today at 9:56 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by countrynaturals Today at 6:20 pm

» Mason bees
by OhioGardener Today at 4:43 pm

» July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!!
by OhioGardener Today at 3:43 pm

» Passion fruit
by countrynaturals Today at 9:56 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 9:44 am

» Pros and Cons of Weed Barrier
by MarkBroomfield Today at 8:38 am

» Update on Marie's mom
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:19 am

» Brix tests for nutrition density
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Corn Growing
by Roseinarosecity Yesterday at 5:22 pm

» Fifth Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» SFG Journey: cantaloupes
by has55 Yesterday at 8:08 am

» 2018/2019 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:04 am

» July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 7/19/2019, 10:48 pm

» Tomato Tuesday - 2018 & 2019
by yolos 7/19/2019, 9:16 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals 7/19/2019, 7:16 pm

» My SFG journey- using hanging clips on cucumber and tomatoes
by has55 7/19/2019, 2:36 pm

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by has55 7/19/2019, 2:24 pm

» SFG FOUNDATION NEWSLETTER - JULY 2019
by sfg4uKim 7/19/2019, 8:01 am

» The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning
by has55 7/18/2019, 10:21 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by PVPind 7/18/2019, 9:31 am

» Canning tomatoes - Problems
by plantoid 7/18/2019, 8:10 am

» my SFG journey-herbs
by OhioGardener 7/17/2019, 7:05 pm

» To keep animals out of the garden
by has55 7/17/2019, 6:13 pm

» Your favorite blackberries or raspberries?
by countrynaturals 7/17/2019, 10:46 am

» Need drip irrigation advice
by No_Such_Reality 7/17/2019, 12:03 am

» Green Caterpillars
by OhioGardener 7/16/2019, 5:34 pm

» Help! Onion Maggots!
by plantoid 7/16/2019, 4:41 pm

» Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
by OhioGardener 7/16/2019, 2:45 pm

» Photo Op?
by countrynaturals 7/16/2019, 2:12 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do you "pre-season budget" your gardening expenses?

Go down

Do you "pre-season budget" your gardening expenses? Empty Do you "pre-season budget" your gardening expenses?

Post  Judy McConnell on 3/17/2019, 9:53 am

I'm one of those people who says "this season" I will spend X-$ on whatever I want/need.  Always, I go over this budget limit because I want to try that plant or NEED this item to help my efforts. I have already spent my "allotted funds" and it is ONLY the middle of March and nothing has gone into the garden yet. Purchased a seed starting setup and a gardening seat.

YOU?
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 436

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Do you "pre-season budget" your gardening expenses? Empty Re: Do you "pre-season budget" your gardening expenses?

Post  OhioGardener on 3/17/2019, 10:50 am

I don't "pre-season" budget, but I do have a budget for gardening. But, it is a little different in that I have "garden checking account" which is used to buy supplies for the garden. Sometimes I am able to sell various things that I either grew, made, or items that I don't need anymore, and the money from the sales goes into that account. I also periodically do odd jobs for people - one neighbor paid me to shred tree trimmings from his trees & shrubs, and I got to keep the shredded wood to mulch around my beds - and that money goes in to the garden account as well.

The problem I have with budgeting is that some expenses are rather large, for things like new LED grow lights, or this year's purchase of a cubic yard of Biochar, and are usually unplanned. But, those expenses are amortized over many years since they don't have to be bought again. Other expenses, such as seeds, are a minor expense and don't affect the budget very much, but if I need to restock things like rock dust it will take a bite out of the budget.  Since I make a lot of compost, and I now make compost tea as well, I don't have to buy any organic fertilizers which saves a lot of money.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Do you "pre-season budget" your gardening expenses? Empty Re: Do you "pre-season budget" your gardening expenses?

Post  countrynaturals on 3/17/2019, 2:54 pm

I never budget because I hate to buy anything new from a store. Seeds are an exception, but veggie seeds would go under "groceries" and flower/herb seeds would go under "home improvement" so they don't count anyway. Rolling Eyes

I did just spend $350 on planter boxes, but that again is a home improvement expense, since we had to do something to replace an old rotten deck. My planter boxes are way cheaper than rebuilding the deck, so that one goes in the win column for me.

I will have to spring $20 for a bag of vermiculite -- that's gonna hurt.

My grids will all be FREE from harvesting bamboo.

My compost is all FREE -- thank you chickens, rabbit, wood chips, goat, departed horses, and kitchen scraps.

Everything else I use comes from donations to the sanctuary or garage/estate sales.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 4395

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/17/2019, 4:39 pm

I have never given this a thought...hmmm.  Sobering, actually.  This year I spent money to have a friend build a cold frame.  Normally, the seeds are super cheap.  And I do fertilize my South Annex containers....but I don’t actually quantify it!  

I get so much more out of my garden than I put into it, generally, over the life of it.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 6886

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/20/2019, 2:28 am

Now that the beds are made and filled, and I have a good supply of seeds and home made compost, I figured less that $100 per year: bale of straw for mulch and browns, bale of alfalfa as greens, bag of alfalfa pellets as greens, and a few packets of replacement seeds like Dragon Tongue, Blue Lake, and peas. Then items for new ideas such as 1/2" EMC, more trellis netting, cotton string.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18023

View user profile https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 3/20/2019, 9:42 am

No   -  This is my hobby and it replaces going on vacation which would be 10 times more expensive.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3736

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 3/20/2019, 11:19 am

Speaking of gardening, Yolos, do you have that good Georgia red clay there in Brooks?  In my young life, many years ago, I lived in Lagrange (about 50 miles SW of you), and we had such heavy red clay that farming & gardening was a real challenge. When it was dry, it was hard as a rock, and when it was wet it was slippery and stuck to everything. All of our cars and trucks were red on the side from the dust and mud.  But, that was before they built the West Point Dam, and what used to be our farm is now at the bottom of the lake.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 3/20/2019, 11:10 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:Speaking of gardening, Yolos, do you have that good Georgia red clay there in Brooks?  In my young life, many years ago, I lived in Lagrange (about 50 miles SW of you), and we had such heavy red clay that farming & gardening was a real challenge. When it was dry, it was hard as a rock, and when it was wet it was slippery and stuck to everything. All of our cars and trucks were red on the side from the dust and mud.  But, that was before they built the West Point Dam, and what used to be our farm is now at the bottom of the lake.
Yep, Good ole hard as a rock red georgia clay.  That is the reason I started doing Square Foot Gardening.  We used to have an in-ground garden at our last house but it wan't too bad because our neighbor had a tractor and would plow up our small garden every year.  Then we moved to a new location and I tried using a tiller.  Darn near pulled my arms out of the sockets trying to dig into the clay with the tiller and also hit large rocks every few feet.  Did that for one year and then started building raised beds and never used the tiller again.

I used to audit a bank in Lagrange years ago.  Don't remember the name of the bank but it was quite a long drive every day from Fayetteville to the bank in Lagrange.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3736

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum