Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 Toplef102nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 I22gcj102nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 Toplef102nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 I22gcj102nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING

+21
llama momma
boffer
sanderson
arla
brainchasm
gurgi1970
Dadoo
floyd1440
n9lah
Hoggar
Windmere
Tris
LikeToGarden
bnoles
Nicola
CapeCoddess
Kelejan
CindiLou
camprn
Triciasgarden
plantoid
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 Empty Re: 2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING

Post  Tris 3/18/2013, 12:07 am

n9lah wrote:I saw mention of the book (2nd edition) being available for Kindle. I have an older Kindle, no color or anything like the Kindle Fire. Does everything convert/look OK on a Kindle? I mean all the charts and tables and stuff or would it not show up very well?

Not on a kindle, but you'll also be able to read it on your computer in color if its an issue. You might buy it and run through it to check for issues, if it doesn't work just return it and let them know the formatting is off. I do have the kindle book I read on an app on my iPad and it seems good, I can't compare it to a real book though.
Tris
Tris

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 Empty Re: 2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING

Post  camprn 3/18/2013, 6:49 am

I love my Kindle, but personally like the paper version of this book so I may make notes in the margins whilst standing in the garden.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/18/2013, 7:10 am

CindiLou wrote:I have a Nook. It is an older one. Only black and white pics. Sad I ordered the paper copy because I love the color and it makes reading some charts difficult if they are only in shades of grey.

I have the new nook and it is the HD version and got the second edition of Mel's book. Like it so far and pics look great!!!

Keep you updated as I read it......
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Dadoo 3/18/2013, 5:29 pm

One of the benefits of the Amazon Kindle is the hardware and software are separate entities. I own the softcover book and Kindle version of ANSFG book.
The Kindle software can be downloaded onto PCs and Apple computers and phones as well as Android Smartphones.
The software will display any and all of your eBooks on any and all devices. Charts and pictures are displayed in color just as in the print version.
So... When I am out in the garden and want to reference something i can read the eBook on my smartphone. At home or the libraries, I can read the eBook version on the computer. I can then increase the size of the print to read easier.
The flexibility of the Kindle system works well for me.
Dadoo
Dadoo

Male Posts : 35

http://www.slugahypnosis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/18/2013, 5:40 pm

Dadoo wrote:One of the benefits of the Amazon Kindle is the hardware and software are separate entities. I own the softcover book and Kindle version of ANSFG book.
The Kindle software can be downloaded onto PCs and Apple computers and phones as well as Android Smartphones.
The software will display any and all of your eBooks on any and all devices. Charts and pictures are displayed in color just as in the print version.
So... When I am out in the garden and want to reference something i can read the eBook on my smartphone. At home or the libraries, I can read the eBook version on the computer. I can then increase the size of the print to read easier.
The flexibility of the Kindle system works well for me.

Good to know..Also checked out B&N site and can read my ANSFG book on my computer too. Hard to keep up with all this technology......
affraid
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 Empty SFG Book - 2nd Edition - What do you think?

Post  gurgi1970 4/14/2013, 11:33 pm

Not sure if anyone has posted this and if they did I didn't see it.

BUT has anyone gotten the 2nd edition of the ANSGB? I got mine about 2 weeks ago and I really like it. Still has all the old stuff of the ANSGB, but some additional information that Mel decided to include (planting charts, additional information about each vegetable plant, etc.)

I like it and have skimmed over it. I need to sit down and really do a thorough reading of it.
gurgi1970
gurgi1970

Male Posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 4/15/2013, 2:28 am

2nd Ed. is my gardening bible, and I rarely deviate from it.

It's working, and working well, so I call it a five-star!

Now if only reading it to my veggies could make them grow faster........

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 Empty So, the second edition of ANSFG

Post  arla 5/19/2013, 11:38 pm

For those who have the first edition, is it worth buying? I'm tempted just because I can get it as a kindle version, but want to know if it's changed much from the first edition?
arla

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/20/2013, 12:42 am

As a Newbie, I only have the All New SFG. The first thing is that there is no dirt/soil used and only 6" depth of MM is used for most crops.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  arla 5/20/2013, 1:06 am

That's the same in the ANSFG, 'm wondering about the difference between ANSFG and ANSFG edition 2
arla

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/20/2013, 1:26 am

sanderson, the original ANSFG was published in 2006. The second edition of ANSFG was released this year.

arla, sorry I can't help, I haven't read the second edition.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/20/2013, 1:37 am

Opps, my ANSFG is the 2006 printing.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/20/2013, 6:20 am

There's a previous thread about the 2013 ANSFG 2nd edition book and reviews, I will find it and merge it with this thread.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/20/2013, 4:03 pm

For those wondering ...
The international book number code ( ISBN code) for
the " All New Square Foot Gardening Second Edition ( available from spring 2013 ) is in my strap line .

To my mind the physical book allows much quicker navigating than the kindle etc and you can quickly use the index to find things .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/21/2013, 8:04 am

I seem to recall CindiLou (?) mentioning comparisons between the 2 editions, one being more pictures and more explanations. Maybe she'll see this thread and chime in If we can get her away from those bees of hers Smile Rooster we need a bee emoticon!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/21/2013, 6:34 pm

arla wrote:That's the same in the ANSFG, 'm wondering about the difference between ANSFG and ANSFG edition 2

I own the ANSFG 1st ed and then checked the 2nd ed out of the library to compare. The 2nd one has different veggie photos but as far as I could see it's the same write ups on each veg. New one has a larger section on gardening with children which doesn't pertain to me, and it has a page on pests that the first one doesn't have. I took what I needed from the pests page and put it in the book I own. The charts in the back look kinda different but have the same info, and since I'm so used to 1st ed charts I didn't bother to take the time to figure the new ones out.

Plus, my copy has tons of priceless hand written notes and hi lites in it that the new ed doesn't have, so for me the 1st ed is a keeper!

CC

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 Empty Second book

Post  Marie14513 5/21/2013, 8:14 pm

I just bought this book today. Read the first one and just planted my first square foot garden! I wish I knew how to post pictures! It looks to have most of the same information put seen knew pics and that is what made me buy the book! carrot
Marie14513
Marie14513

Female Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 Empty Mel's books

Post  Frenchbean 6/30/2013, 9:09 am

Hi everyone on this lovely sunny day Smile 

Am I right in thinking Mel has a new book out?. Ive only just bought my ANSFG book thinking  Is it worth me going out and spending money on the new book, does it really have a lot more info init. It looks very similar? thinking 

Also is it worth me buying the answer book? Isn't the questions answered in the ANSFG book anyway? thanks 
Frenchbean

Female Posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/30/2013, 9:19 am

Frenchbean, here is a link to the foundation:
http://www.squarefootgardening.org/

You can access the storefront from there. We also have quite a few previous topics on this subject. Please use the search feature in the upper left corner of the index page.

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/30/2013, 5:50 pm

Frenchbean wrote:Hi everyone on this lovely sunny day Smile 

Am I right in thinking Mel has a new book out?. Ive only just bought my ANSFG book thinking  Is it worth me going out and spending money on the new book, does it really have a lot more info init. It looks very similar? thinking 

Also is it worth me buying the answer book? Isn't the questions answered in the ANSFG book anyway? thanks 

French Bean put the ISBN codes on the thread so we can see exactly which books your taking about as apparently bit seems  there is a bit of confusion with several folk as to which books to get .

Also check out my strap lines for the latest edition ISBN code  that supersedes the earlier books

IMPO the recent answers book complements the latest book is several areas that are not initially covered.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 Empty 2nd edition All New square Foot Gardening

Post  Frenchbean 7/1/2013, 1:44 pm

Plantoid: The book I have ANSFG ISBN 978-1-59186-202-4
I think its 2005 edition. My question is; is the new one really worth getting as it looks to be the same information
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  - Page 2 Empty 2nd edition All New square Foot Gardening

Post  Frenchbean 7/1/2013, 1:47 pm

ANSFG Answer book from Amazon. Is it worth paying £17.00 for this are the answers to in the book any way
thinking thinking 
Paperback: 192 pages
Publisher: Cool Springs Press (15 Dec 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1591865417
ISBN-13: 978-1591865414
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/1/2013, 1:57 pm

I have bought all 3 in book form, but I gave the second edition to my son to keep at his house.  The differences were not enough for me to keep for my own use.

The answer book has a lot of tips  not found in either of the other books and some repetition.  It is a "nice to have" but not a necessity.  I would have been as well served to get it in the Kindle version which is cheaper.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/1/2013, 5:16 pm

Frenchbean wrote:Plantoid: The book I have ANSFG ISBN 978-1-59186-202-4
I think its 2005 edition. My question is; is the new one really worth getting as it looks to be the same information

That book superceeded the original one
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/1/2013, 5:24 pm

Frenchbean wrote:ANSFG Answer book from Amazon. Is it worth paying £17.00 for this are the answers to in the book any way
thinking thinking 
Paperback: 192 pages
Publisher: Cool Springs Press (15 Dec 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1591865417 this is the hard back Answer Book
ISBN-13: 978-1591865414
This is the Answer Book in paperback and should be found for less than £ 11 on Amazon . ( Mine was something like £8 inc p&p )

As before in our PM's I reckon it is worth it just for the pest control knowledge and what to use to sort the pests out. It will be a good guide for you in the early years of ANSGF'ing till you get some experience under your belt .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2