Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  Toplef102nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  I22gcj102nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  Toplef102nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  I22gcj102nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING

+21
llama momma
boffer
sanderson
arla
brainchasm
gurgi1970
Dadoo
floyd1440
n9lah
Hoggar
Windmere
Tris
LikeToGarden
bnoles
Nicola
CapeCoddess
Kelejan
CindiLou
camprn
Triciasgarden
plantoid
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  Empty 2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING

Post  plantoid 2/23/2013, 12:06 pm

Well folks ,
After what seemed a life time of waiting the latest book from Mel arrived hot off the press just before lunch time today 23 Feb 2013 . I must say this second edition is good .

It brought home to me that whilst I'm well taken up with the all new square foot gardening I'm being held back in my head & actions by almost 50 years of digging mother earth , busting my gut and some rather wasteful practices.

Note to myself ....
Re read the the second edition book many times , inclucate it into your heart & put it into practice ....... this old dog can learn new tricks .

I really do like the gist of " If it has ever grown it can be composted " and the short list of things not to bother with .

Mel's new slant on composting is / or should be much easier for many more people to understand ..if it does not say it in the book ... don't go down that road is how I see & understand it.

For us old seasoned broken backed gardeners it is a leap of faith from the dark ages in to the age of enlightenment and what an enlightment it turns out to be indeed .

Thanks Mel.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  Empty Re: 2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING

Post  Triciasgarden 2/23/2013, 2:19 pm

I agree with what you said about being stuck with digging mother earth! It is much easier to teach someone the sfg method who has not already learned the old way! I too will have to keep re-reading until most of this is second nature to me.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  Empty Re: 2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING

Post  camprn 2/23/2013, 2:25 pm

I need to get me a copy! STAT......

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/23/2013, 10:42 pm

I want time to sit and read mine Sad I have been on the run with grands, bee classes, researching/getting bee materials, studying about bees. Sad I need 48 hours days! And still have to get my brocc, gourd, etc seeds started this next week lol..Make that 72 Hr days!!

CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/24/2013, 1:23 am

CindiLou wrote:I want time to sit and read mine Sad I have been on the run with grands, bee classes, researching/getting bee materials, studying about bees. Sad I need 48 hours days! And still have to get my brocc, gourd, etc seeds started this next week lol..Make that 72 Hr days!!

Thank goodness you know how to handle your strawberries. Laughing
(See your post in "2012 pictures of birth of new strawberry bed etc.")
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/24/2013, 2:04 am

rofl At this point, anything that can grow without help is a bonus! Hoping by summer we get into a routine that will be able to work for us all! These grands are sure gonna learn how to work this summer! They are gonna HAVE to help Grandma!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/24/2013, 11:34 am

Thanks, Plantoid! I just emailed my library asking them to order it for me from off Cape, since no one close by has it, and I put in a request that my library order it for their stock. I'm thinking I could maybe use it to make notes in my 1st edition to update it.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola 2/24/2013, 4:18 pm

Has anyone here seen it yet? What is new & different? I kinda feel like camprn and CapeCoddess wrote; I'd at least like to see it but
I just looked on the official SFG site, (http://www.squarefootgardening.com/books/) and the 2nd edition (2013) isn't available there. Shocked
Why is that? :scratch: If all purchases fund the Foundation, then why would I have to go to amazon, b&n, bigwords, or maybe a chain or local bookstore to buy it? Doesn't seem to make sense (or am I missing something?)
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/24/2013, 4:23 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Thanks, Plantoid! I just emailed my library asking them to order it for me from off Cape, since no one close by has it, and I put in a request that my library order it for their stock. I'm thinking I could maybe use it to make notes in my 1st edition to update it.

CC

CCC you'd better add a lot more blank pages and buy a couple of big pens Laughing There is quite a difference between the books ..plenty of pictures for people wanting to make their own beds out of wood . A nice section on common veg again with good pictures .

The charts are revised and should be far easier for pople to understand ,especially if they are a bit dyslexic /word blind like me.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 2/24/2013, 6:40 pm

unfortunately I am having to wait on the Kindle version due to bad eyesight. Sad
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/7/2013, 2:20 am

Ok I have
Square Foot Gardening - says 2005
All New Square Foot Gardening - says 2006
All New Square Foot Gardening Cookbook

so the ones I don't have are:
All New Square Foot Gardening 2nd ed
And there are two of the Answer books (correct)
Sense the title says All New Square Foot Gardening Cookbook are there any other vers before this one (how many vers of this one)

So I have three and that leaves three I don't have - except maybe the cookbook is that correct?
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Tris 3/7/2013, 8:53 am

bnoles wrote:unfortunately I am having to wait on the Kindle version due to bad eyesight. Sad
There is a kindle version.

I'm a bit annoyed, I just bought my book feb 26 from Amazon, after the new one came out, but it says All New in the title and I didn't realize until just now it's the 2006 version.
Tris
Tris

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/7/2013, 10:17 am

Tris wrote:
bnoles wrote:unfortunately I am having to wait on the Kindle version due to bad eyesight. Sad
There is a kindle version.

I'm a bit annoyed, I just bought my book feb 26 from Amazon, after the new one came out, but it says All New in the title and I didn't realize until just now it's the 2006 version.

I sympathise Tris,
Seeing your join date is a few days later i'd be a bit miffed if it were me as well.
Can you sell your book on Amazon etc. as pre owned and get the later one if you feel like it ?
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  Empty I would be upset too - Teaching a new dog new tricks

Post  Windmere 3/7/2013, 11:33 am

Tris, I would also be very upset if I had purchased the older version of the SFG manual just before the new one came out. That stinks! Sad

As Plantoid suggested, if I were you, I would explore the possibility of selling the older version. Since you just got it, it should be in "like new" condition.

Regarding teaching a new dog new tricks: I have a better feeling of confidence regarding the whole SFG method. I have never raised a vegetable garden. Since I am learning how to do it the "correct" way without the handicap of learning the incorrect way at first, my SFG project gives me a sense of peace. Those are my feelings anyway.

sunny
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 3/7/2013, 11:50 am

Tris,

I would keep the book you bought and order the new one as well.
My reason is posted in this other thread.
SFG NEW Book Question
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Tris 3/7/2013, 2:05 pm

Windmere wrote:Tris, I would also be very upset if I had purchased the older version of the SFG manual just before the new one came out. That stinks! Sad

sunny
Silly me I bought it after the new addition was already out, they have the same title I didn't realize I was buying the old one. Amazon took pity on me and is going to let me swap the book. It's the kindle version, so no resell allowed. Alls well that ends well though Smile
Tris
Tris

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  Empty Awsome!!!

Post  Windmere 3/7/2013, 2:52 pm

I'm so happy for you! Amazon is an amazing merchant. They bend over backwards to make their customer's happy.

Wink
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 3/7/2013, 3:36 pm

Amazon Rocks!

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  Tris 3/7/2013, 4:16 pm

They really are great Smile
Tris
Tris

Back to top Go down

Post  Tris 3/7/2013, 4:54 pm

Ok I'm confused, is the intro to the second edition exactly the same as the first? I downloaded the sample while I still have the original and its identical?
Tris
Tris

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 3/7/2013, 5:11 pm

The intros are the same. But the 2nd Edition has a lot more information. Mr. Bartholomew took the book and expanded it.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  Tris 3/7/2013, 5:17 pm

CindiLou wrote:The intros are the same. But the 2nd Edition has a lot more information. Mr. Bartholomew took the book and expanded it.
Thanks Cindi Smile
Tris
Tris

Back to top Go down

Post  n9lah 3/17/2013, 8:35 pm

I saw mention of the book (2nd edition) being available for Kindle. I have an older Kindle, no color or anything like the Kindle Fire. Does everything convert/look OK on a Kindle? I mean all the charts and tables and stuff or would it not show up very well?

n9lah
n9lah

Back to top Go down

2nd edition ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING  Empty Kindle Version and Print Version (my preference)

Post  Windmere 3/17/2013, 9:17 pm

Hi n9lah,

Amazon does have a Kindle version. It costs $9.50. I do believe that any Kindle will display the Kindle version.

The paperback version is $16.01. When I bought the paperback version on 2/23/13, it was $14.28.

I do not know exactly how the Kindle version stacks up against the paperback; it might be a preference issue.

I own a Kindle Fire, but I opted to get the print version because I wanted to be able to take the book with me to various nurseries (I was able to easily show sales people exactly what I wanted). I also wanted to be able to easily and rapidly turn pages to various photos, etc. Taking my book out to my garden was another issue (I did not want to take my device out into the elements). Finally, I had a concerns about charts, tables, photos, etc. being difficult to see (like you mentioned).

If you do not have a Kindle Fire, you obviously won't have color illustrations. I think that would be a deal breaker for me.

study

Last edited by Windmere on 3/17/2013, 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 3/17/2013, 11:32 pm

I have a Nook. It is an older one. Only black and white pics. Sad I ordered the paper copy because I love the color and it makes reading some charts difficult if they are only in shades of grey.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next