Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia? Toplef10Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia? I22gcj10Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia? Toplef10Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia? I22gcj10Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia?

5 posters

Go down

Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia? Empty Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia?

Post  durham64 12/29/2012, 1:42 pm

I apologize if this posting intersects with another one I did, but for some reason, I don't see it out there. Anyway.....

I think I will start with the 4' x 4' planting bed from SFG. Not too large, nor too small to begin. It is only me in the household, so I can't get too carried away.

I want to plant a bush type cantaloupe, several sweet pepper varieties, a bush type cucumber and several flowers with will play well with the veggies. I know, some of you will be saying What? No tomatoes?, but I don't eat them (how totally un-southern of me!).

Any suggestions for varieties and planting layouts in the 4' x 4' that would work well in this area would be wholly welcomed and greatly appreciated!

thanks

Holley
durham64
durham64

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia? Empty Re: Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia?

Post  Lindacol 12/29/2012, 3:29 pm

I recommend Gypsy pepper. It is a hybrid but far out produced my bell peppers and still has peppers ripening on the plant. One plant I bought at HD has probably given me at least 25 peppers from july til now.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia? Empty Re: Planting suggestions for Extreme NW Georgia?

Post  walshevak 12/29/2012, 3:59 pm

I've had good luck with the space saver cuke as a bush type. I don't know of a bush type cantaloupe. Cantaloupe is a vine so plan on some sort of trellis for it to climb or plant on the outer edge of the box so it can vine all over the yard. I also staggered my 3 cantaloupe plantings by 2 weeks so they didn't all come in at once. I then had to leave my garden, but my neighbors said the 'loupes were tasty.

You don't mention any greenery. Are you planning some lettuce/spinach/greens for the spring? Do you like snap or snow peas. If so, you can plant the peas on a trellis as early as late Feb early Mar and then reuse the space/trellis in the summer for your cantaloupe. Peas have pretty flowers and lettuce/spinach don't do well in really hot weather. Chard is a good green for a summer garden and the red stemmed variety gives the garden an ornamental look. Peppers also need to wait for warm weather to put outside.

Post a layout of what you think you want and somebody in your zone will have some ideas.

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 12/29/2012, 8:48 pm

Let me suggest dwarf French marigolds among your veggies - these will feed your pollinators and enable the population to grow, as well as repel some pests. I've found them to work very well at repelling squash bugs and cucumber beetles. They help with caterpillars. They are not effective against squash borers and pickleworms.

I discovered this several years ago, and have effectively banished squash bugs and cucumber beetles from the veggies, although they are in neighbor's gardens and CBs are even on my sunflowers (a few) in the front yard.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 12/29/2012, 10:47 pm

I think it is a requirement to grow tomatoes in a SFG, even if you don't like them... Then just whip up some tomato sauce and then I will send you my address, voila, tomato problem solved Wink .
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  durham64 12/30/2012, 1:31 pm

Pollinator, Thanks for the advice with the dwarf French marigolds. May I ask where you get yours or where I could get seed? I have seen quite a few marigolds in the various seed catalogs, but I don't remember specifically the dwarf French variety. I love the idea of having something to help with the bugs, naturally! Great idea. Very Happy

cheyannarach, that is too funny! If I grow any, that is what I would have to do. Most people think I'm nuts for not eating tomatoes. It seems to be a texture thing for me because I love tomato sauce, ketchup, etc. Just something about a raw tomato, yuck! I may reconsider and delve into the world of making homemade tomato sauce which I would gladly share with you! Again, problem solved.

Thanks to everyone who has been so helpful.
durham64
durham64

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 12/30/2012, 2:44 pm

durham64 wrote:Pollinator, Thanks for the advice with the dwarf French marigolds. May I ask where you get yours or where I could get seed?

I have lots of dwarf French Marigold seed, and I'll send you some, if you send me an SASE. Click on my icon and send me a private message to set it up.

Once you grow them, you'll always have seed. In fact, here in the South, they will also seed themselves.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down