Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
November in So CA Toplef10November in So CA 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

November in So CA I22gcj10November in So CA 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
November in So CA Toplef10November in So CA 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

November in So CA I22gcj10November in So CA 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

November in So CA

+2
plantoid
Lindacol
6 posters

Go down

November in So CA Empty November in So CA

Post  Lindacol 11/1/2012, 6:29 pm

How are everyones gardens doing? Mine has been somewhat neglected in the last couple of months. I haven't started winter crops yet - started some lettuce seeds but lost them to damping off. 3 of my 4 beds are still producing very well.
Bed 1 has I think 3 tomato plants overflowing with cherry type toms and the rest of the 4 x 8 bed has been overtaken with my volunteer sweet potatoes. Will be digging them up in the next week.
Bed 2 is my problem child. I did harvest corn off it in early sept, then pulled everything, added worm castings & compost then covered the bed in plastic to try to solarize it to kill off the bacarada(sp?) bugs. It was over 100 for much of the time it was covered. Now I am thinking about trying to replant it.
Bed 3 has dragons tongue beans, a gypsy pepper, chard, celery and a bell pepper. My daughter & I love the beans. They look weird as they turn nearly white when cooked but taste great. I have been feeding the chard & celery to the goats as I never got the celery blanched (planted it too dense). Still getting gypsy peppers - that one plant was slow to start but has since produced over 30 nice size peppers.
Bed 4 (pictures below) had a volunteer sweet potato, a yellow summer squash and a butternut squash in about 5 squares at one end. From those 5 squares I just dug 5 lbs of sweet potatoes and have harvested over 10 each of the 2 types of squash. The rest of the box has bell peppers, carrots and the onion shown.

Anyone have an idea what type of onion this is? When do I harvest it? How about replanting it? I bought the bunch of onions at HD this spring and all except this grew the normal sweet onions that were harvested as their tops fell in about June. This is a white (as opposed to the rest being yellow sweet) and it started out as one plant that seems to have split, then each of those split, etc.
November in So CA Onions10
November in So CA Onions11
Harvest from 10-30-12 - 5 lbs of sweet potatoes(2 large & 2 small) and a butternut squash.
November in So CA Harves12
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

November in So CA Empty Re: November in So CA

Post  plantoid 11/2/2012, 7:28 pm

One usually harvests ones onions when the bulb has formed and the tops fall over on their own accord , they need lots of sun to get to this stage .
To me it looks like the carrot tops will prevent them ripening .. the same happened to me this year . My version of MM made the carrots grow big time .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/2/2012, 7:47 pm

Those look like dinner onions..... isn't it near dinner time?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

November in So CA WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 11/2/2012, 8:14 pm

Camprn & Plantoid - The onions you see there is the result of planting ONE small plant from HD. The plant seems to have split several times It is very different from the onions I harvested from the rest of the bunch back in June.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 11/2/2012, 11:14 pm

I'm wondering if you somehow got a fluke potato or multiplier onion in the batch of "regular" onions from HD? Check out this article and see if your onions resemble theirs at all. If by chance you did get a multiplier, don't eat them, save them for replanting next year & so long as they turn out to be good "keepers" and last you the winter, you'll never have to start from seed or sets again because each of those bulbs will do like garlic does: clone itself! I have some multipliers that I'm planning on planting next Spring, so I'm curious to see what you got!

P.S. I just noticed that you're in California, so your planting seasons are different than mine--just save them until the next time you're "supposed" to plant onions & take it from there. I'm very excited for you!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 11/2/2012, 11:36 pm

It does look like some sort of multiplier onion. Sort of looks like my Egyptian onions. In their first yr they do not make the little bulbs on the top of the stem. Probably was grown in the same field with the other onion, or the mother of yours has made seeds and been deposited in among the sweets.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 11/3/2012, 12:11 am

mollyhespra wrote:I'm wondering if you somehow got a fluke potato or multiplier onion in the batch of "regular" onions from HD? Check out this article and see if your onions resemble theirs at all. If by chance you did get a multiplier, don't eat them, save them for replanting next year & so long as they turn out to be good "keepers" and last you the winter, you'll never have to start from seed or sets again because each of those bulbs will do like garlic does: clone itself! I have some multipliers that I'm planning on planting next Spring, so I'm curious to see what you got!

P.S. I just noticed that you're in California, so your planting seasons are different than mine--just save them until the next time you're "supposed" to plant onions & take it from there. I'm very excited for you!

Thanks for the info. It doesn't look the same. Plus it was planted in about March and still hasn't died back. Guess I will have to dig part of it up to see what the bulbs look and taste like.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 11/3/2012, 10:08 am

Bummer! I was so excited to think that you'd gotten a multiplier...ah, well...post pictures after you've dug them up if you would; it's still an interesting situation.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 11/12/2012, 4:34 pm

[quote="Lindacol"]

Anyone have an idea what type of onion this is? When do I harvest it? How about replanting it? I bought the bunch of onions at HD this spring and all except this grew the normal sweet onions that were harvested as their tops fell in about June. This is a white (as opposed to the rest being yellow sweet) and it started out as one plant that seems to have split, then each of those split, etc.
November in So CA Onions10
November in So CA Onions11

I finally pulled a couple of the onions.
November in So CA Oddoni10
November in So CA Oddoni11

They have a strong oniony taste but are not sweet/good enough for eating fresh. Guess they can be used for cooking. I am debating whether to leave some growing in the bed.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 11/12/2012, 4:48 pm

Here is todays harvest.
21 lbs of sweet potatoes! The cold morning yesterday started truning the leaves black so we dug all we could find.

November in So CA Swpota10
This picture shows the cracks/tracks in some of them, I think the result of accidently leaving the drip watering on for 6-8 hrs a couple of times - when I usually water for 15-20 mins twice a day (unless it rains which has been seldom)
November in So CA Swpota11
The last of the dragons tongue beans and some little toms. The tomatoes are still going great. The cold hasn't bothered them yet(no cover and they are on a trellis in the same bed as the sweet potatoes that got hit with frost). I was even surprised to find a big hornworm today. Guess I need to get out the BT again.
November in So CA Harves13
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 11/12/2012, 5:49 pm

OK, I'll have another go at your mystery allium: how about some kind of giant scallion/bunching onion? I don't see a bulb per-se so if you want to do an experiment, leave one in and see if it keeps multiplying/bunching--also, I don't think scallions die back like "regular" onions, so that might explain why they're still green and growing.

Nice looking cherry toms, BTW! drooling
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 11/26/2012, 1:34 pm

I've neglected my raised bed since late September. I concluded the white fly fight was lost and let things go fallow. My sweet potatoes had mild scab and all were small, although I had prolific roots and greens. I'm guessing too rich of soil.

My tomato plant that I left to die has gone wild. Only two tomatoes on it both are split but I still have flowers. Plus, my bell peppers have bounced back.

The cukes finally gave up the ghost in the fight with white fly.

I've replanted a few containers. Onions, yellow and red in two. Garlic in a third and a few shallots in what was the sweet potato pot.

Working on a build up bin for potatoes which should go in a couple weeks.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down