Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? Toplef10N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? I22gcj10N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? Toplef10N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? I22gcj10N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November?

+3
trolleydriver
Goosegirl
Scorpio Rising
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? Empty N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November?

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/1/2015, 10:32 am

November 1st, wow, time marches on!  Here, we have a fairly unseasonably warm little stretch ahead, so my few annuals that I covered for the freeze a couple weeks ago get a temporary reprieve!  

All that remains in my SFG is the Swiss chard.  In part, due to my poor planning, and not really knowing how to time my Fall crop.  Better luck next year.  Note to self, start MUCH earlier than I thought!  lol

What is everyone else doing?

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 11/1/2015, 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? Empty Re: N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November?

Post  Goosegirl 11/1/2015, 2:10 pm

Summer garden is done, but because of the few weekends still in decent temps, I am still in hopes of planting garlic.  However, due to a nasty cold and earache, I have been benched for this weekend.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? Empty Re: N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November?

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/1/2015, 2:20 pm

Yuck! Feel better, GG! I finally got the daffodils in and garlic today. Wrecked my back, ibuprofen on board! Take care!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/1/2015, 4:58 pm

GG ... I can sympathize. This weekend I came down with a really bad sore throat. The infection has also gone up into my ears. Get well/
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/2/2015, 2:58 am

Both of you, I hope you feel better soon.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/2/2015, 8:32 am

Sounds like some of the stuff I'm hearing is going around...  Hope y'all all feel better soon!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? Empty november

Post  landarch 11/2/2015, 5:42 pm

I need to get garlic planted.  Everyday without frost is a blessing (avg first frost in this area is around 10/15)...so still picking green beans, green peppers, and tomatoes.  I need to pick a few heads of broccoli and Napa cabbage this evening.  Fall spinach and Tatsoi are coming on strong.

I need to get more compost started...prime leaf collecting is right around the corner.

Celebrating a Royals World Series victory...parade downtown tomorrow.

Also...many seed packets are marked down big time at local garden centers.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/2/2015, 6:01 pm

Nice, landarch! You have a lot more than I do goin' on in the garden yet! I am excited because I have never grown garlic, but I cook with it a lot! Put the biggest cloves in a container I got on clearance, and stuck the rest in a box that usually has petunias in it.

I would love to find some marked down seeds.....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/8/2015, 3:37 pm

Beautiful day here, sunny, calm winds. Just walked Z. Nothing to do in the garden but to check to see if the garlic is up: not yet. And something (squirrels) was digging around in there! I planted it a week ago.

What is everybody else doing today? N&C Midwest--What are we doing in November? 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 11/9/2015, 6:30 pm

Been sick for a week and a half - nasty cold which turned into double ear infections with bronchitis and laryngitis.  Today was my first day back to work in a week.  I work for the gov, so I have Wednesday off to now catch up on closing down the yard for winter.  I need to plant my garlic, put away all the garden ornaments, pull up the rest of the tomato plants and sunflowers, drain and haul in the hoses, cover the patio table and chairs, and hopefully replace the rest of the deck stair treads before they are in the decrepit condition of the stairs I replaced last month.  Whew!  I need a margarita already!!!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/9/2015, 6:42 pm

Oh my, Goosegirl, you were sick! Glad you are better and have a day of rest (not really!) coming up. I have the garden mostly put to bed, but still have the patio stuff, and hoses to get unhooked, etc.

Take it easy, you don't want to end up sick again...from too much too soon! It looks like we might have a decent stretch as far as temps and not a whole lot of rain anyways.

I have never grown garlic, how long does it take to get above ground after sticking the bulbs in? They had a good week of warm temps last week. We had a hard freeze here Saturday night and harder last night.....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/9/2015, 7:46 pm

GG ... sounds like you and I had similar bugs. Mine started with a really bad sore throat for several days. Then it went into my ears. Now I'm fighting bronchitis. The last time this happened the bronchitis stayed with me for many months. Glad you are feeling better.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 11/9/2015, 8:07 pm

Trolley - thankfully I have an albuterol inhaler to use as needed because I am prone to bronchitis any time my respiratory tract is irritated.  Ever since the doc prescribed that, I start it as soon as the cold hits.  It cuts my hacking from the old standard of 2-3 months down to 2-3 weeks. 

Scorpio - My garlic has always popped up within 2 weeks or less.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 11/9/2015, 8:30 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice, landarch!  You have a lot more than I do goin' on in the garden yet!  I am excited because I have never grown garlic, but I cook with it a lot!  Put the biggest cloves in a container I got on clearance, and stuck the rest in a box that usually has petunias in it.  

What kinds of seeds are you looking for?  The Hardware Hanks about 10 miles from me always marks down their leftover seed packets to $0.10 each after the season.  Give me a list and I will check it out on Wednesday when I have to go to our veterinarian which is right across the street from it!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 11/9/2015, 8:38 pm

trolleydriver wrote:GG ... sounds like you and I had similar bugs. Mine started with a really bad sore throat for several days. Then it went into my ears. Now I'm fighting bronchitis. The last time this happened the bronchitis stayed with me for many months. Glad you are feeling better.
I actually did try going to work last Tuesday, after taking off the Friday and Monday before that.  One of the dentists nicknamed me Gollum, and would come up behind me squeaking "My precious, my precious!"  I went to the Doctor the next morning (by which time I could not talk at all and could not hear out of my right ear) and he gave me a Get Out Of Work Free pass until the next Monday (today), along with antibiotics and steroids for the ears.  Right up until yesterday afternoon I was not sure how I was going to make it back to work - which is not like me because I am usually not a wimp when it comes to pain or sickness.  Surprised myself last night by feeling almost human!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/9/2015, 9:05 pm

GG ... Yup I've got two inhalers ... one is Alvesoc Ciclesonide and the other is Novo-Salbutamol (Salbutamol Sulphate).  I think your Albuterol and my Salbutamol are the same thing.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/9/2015, 9:12 pm

Get better soon, Goosegirl and Trolleydriver.
BIG hug
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 11/9/2015, 10:33 pm

trolleydriver wrote:GG ... Yup I've got two inhalers ... one is Alvesoc Ciclesonide and the other is Novo-Salbutamol (Salbutamol Sulphate).  I think your Albuterol and my Salbutamol are the same thing.
Miracle drugs!!!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/10/2015, 2:56 am

I have to agree. I hate to be on meds but they sure got me through the last cold without bronchitis. Also, when the summer air pollution gets high, when working with MM or compost pile, or any other irritating situation.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/10/2015, 8:22 am

Goosegirl wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice, landarch!  You have a lot more than I do goin' on in the garden yet!  I am excited because I have never grown garlic, but I cook with it a lot!  Put the biggest cloves in a container I got on clearance, and stuck the rest in a box that usually has petunias in it.  

What kinds of seeds are you looking for?  The Hardware Hanks about 10 miles from me always marks down their leftover seed packets to $0.10 each after the season.  Give me a list and I will check it out on Wednesday when I have to go to our veterinarian which is right across the street from it!

Sunflowers! Lots of them!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/10/2015, 9:32 am

GG & TD - I had bronchitis a few years ago.  Miserable stuff! 

But my hubby's cousin (a vet) told me to add 400 IU of Vit E & 1000 Vit C twice per day to what I was doing.  It REALLY helped!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/10/2015, 10:43 am

Thanks AM for that information.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/10/2015, 11:48 am

The "good" news in having bronchitis was that it helped me to quit smoking....  Thankfully I haven't had it again...

Hope y'all are better quickly!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/10/2015, 1:17 pm

Vitamins! Very good advice, AM. Both anti-oxidants, working on different areas of the problem!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 11/10/2015, 6:22 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:

Sunflowers!  Lots of them!  
Any particular size or color, or some of everything?   flower
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum