Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking for ideas about starting a blog! Toplef10Looking for ideas about starting a blog! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking for ideas about starting a blog! I22gcj10Looking for ideas about starting a blog! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking for ideas about starting a blog! Toplef10Looking for ideas about starting a blog! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking for ideas about starting a blog! I22gcj10Looking for ideas about starting a blog! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Looking for ideas about starting a blog!

+7
acopley
Pepper
johnsonjlj
RoOsTeR
Triciasgarden
mollyhespra
cheyannarach
11 posters

Go down

Looking for ideas about starting a blog! Empty Looking for ideas about starting a blog!

Post  cheyannarach 10/30/2012, 10:55 am

Hi everybody! So I just want to say that I am sooo thankful I discovered square foot gardening and this forum! It has opened up my eyes to sooo many changes in my life. I thought I wouldn't know what to do with myself when gardening season ended but instead I have found all sorts of new hobbies because of it. I have all these fun things I do some new (SFG, freezer meals, furniture making) and some old (couponing, catering, cooking, gardening, being a wife and mother) that I thought it would be fun to start a blog and share my learning experiences with people who would like to read it. It would be more of a lifestyle blog rather than narrowed down to one certain topic. I have no idea what to do or where to start so I am looking for ideas on anything. What should I call it, where to start, etc... I know there are a few of you that have blogs so I thought this would be a good place to get some ideas and the creative juices flowing.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Looking for ideas about starting a blog! Empty Re: Looking for ideas about starting a blog!

Post  mollyhespra 11/1/2012, 1:31 pm

I have a gardening-unrelated blog that I'm having to rebuild after some hackers got into the old one and posted adverts for male-enhancing drugs & other interesting things (or I'd give you the link so you could check it out).

I'm not a "pro" or anything, just do it for fun. DH on the other hand, makes his living from online blogging and related sales.

What I've learned from him (& also from my own experiences
with blogging) is that to succeed you just have to START somewhere and then KEEP GOING with it.

If you have a catchy domain name that is available, snag it! You can buy a domain name at godaddy.com (or some other domain-seller) and have it hosted for a fee on a server somewhere (I use hostgator.com though there are many others). OR you can join a blogging community like livejournal, etc. for free.

Either way, just start writing. Don't get stuck on the "small stuff". Before you know it you'll have more posts than you realize. Always, though, keep a back-up of the entire article on your own personal computer (or flash drive) because hackers can and do get in and it will make your life a lot easier to re-post than to re-create. Trust me on that one. Wink

HTH & best of luck to ya!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Looking for ideas about starting a blog! Empty Re: Looking for ideas about starting a blog!

Post  Triciasgarden 11/1/2012, 5:16 pm

Cheyanne that is a great idea to create a blog and great advice Mollyhespra! Good luck to both of you!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/10/2012, 9:47 am

mollyhespra wrote:I have a gardening-unrelated blog that I'm having to rebuild after some hackers got into the old one and posted adverts for male-enhancing drugs & other interesting things (or I'd give you the link so you could check it out).

I'm not a "pro" or anything, just do it for fun. DH on the other hand, makes his living from online blogging and related sales.

What I've learned from him (& also from my own experiences
with blogging) is that to succeed you just have to START somewhere and then KEEP GOING with it.

If you have a catchy domain name that is available, snag it! You can buy a domain name at godaddy.com (or some other domain-seller) and have it hosted for a fee on a server somewhere (I use hostgator.com though there are many others). OR you can join a blogging community like livejournal, etc. for free.

Either way, just start writing. Don't get stuck on the "small stuff". Before you know it you'll have more posts than you realize. Always, though, keep a back-up of the entire article on your own personal computer (or flash drive) because hackers can and do get in and it will make your life a lot easier to re-post than to re-create. Trust me on that one. Wink

HTH & best of luck to ya!

Molly, great advice thank you, as soon as you are up and running again please post a link!! I would love to check it out!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/5/2013, 1:38 pm

Molly, did you get yours up an running again? I bit the bullet and got a domain. Now I am building the website at godaddy and it is harder than I thought it would be. The writing is fine it's the set up stuff slowing me down, I am kinda computer dumb. Anyway it's www.growahappylife.com, but nothing has been published yet. I will let you know when it does.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/5/2013, 1:44 pm

For those with blogs, you may pm or email me your site and I'll add it to our list:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t6168-list-of-forum-members-with-blogs?highlight=blog

Looking for ideas about starting a blog! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 2/6/2013, 6:37 pm

cheyannarach wrote:Molly, did you get yours up an running again? I bit the bullet and got a domain. Now I am building the website at godaddy and it is harder than I thought it would be. The writing is fine it's the set up stuff slowing me down, I am kinda computer dumb. Anyway it's www.growahappylife.com, but nothing has been published yet. I will let you know when it does.

I've got some stuff up on one page that's related to SFG but mostly my site isn't about gardening but about some of my other artistic pursuits. You can check out what I have in the other sections just as an idea of what you can do, but like I said it's not gardening related.

I'm digging (sorry, couldn't resist) your domain name! Let me (us) know when you've got something up!!!

RoOster, I'll PM you when I've got more pertinent stuff up to add it to your list.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 2/6/2013, 9:50 pm

I started my own private blog, intended more for my gardening records with photos than others' viewing, and used Google blogs. Just go to Google.com, click "More" at the top of the page and go to "Blogger". It isn't fancy, but it's free and allows you to post photos.
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/7/2013, 12:41 am

I will let you know Molly, mine isn't going to be strictly gardening but also what goes along with it. Preserving, Cooking. And in the winter months I would like to do some money saving, couponing, crafts. I sound like I have ADHD now. I will let you know when I get it up, just trying to figure out the technical stuff...

Thanks for sharing Judi, that's good to know!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 2/7/2013, 2:17 pm

I will echo johnsonjlj; I used google blogs it was simple and easy to make look 'pretty good'. The great part IT IS FREE.

http://newbesfgga.blogspot.com/

When I got hooked on here I stopped bloging there. Now I use here to document my failures/successes.
Mike
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 2/7/2013, 2:25 pm

WOW really love your beds mollyhespra. Really neet idea overlaping notches for end closure.
Looking for ideas about starting a blog! 3170584802 Looking for ideas about starting a blog! 3170584802 Looking for ideas about starting a blog! 3170584802

thankyou good idea
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  acopley 2/27/2013, 5:13 pm

cheyannarach wrote:Molly, did you get yours up an running again? I bit the bullet and got a domain. Now I am building the website at godaddy and it is harder than I thought it would be. The writing is fine it's the set up stuff slowing me down, I am kinda computer dumb. Anyway it's *** but nothing has been published yet. I will let you know when it does.

Hi, newbie here, but I'm actually a site designer by trade. I noticed that you hadn't gotten your blog up and going yet and you had mentioned it was harder than you anticipated. If you need any help, please feel free to shoot me a PM. Everyone here is imparting so much fantastic gardening knowledge, the least I can do is offer some blog/design knowledge in return. Smile
acopley
acopley

Female Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/27/2013, 5:17 pm

acopley wrote:
cheyannarach wrote:Molly, did you get yours up an running again? I bit the bullet and got a domain. Now I am building the website at godaddy and it is harder than I thought it would be. The writing is fine it's the set up stuff slowing me down, I am kinda computer dumb. Anyway it's *** but nothing has been published yet. I will let you know when it does.

Hi, newbie here, but I'm actually a site designer by trade. I noticed that you hadn't gotten your blog up and going yet and you had mentioned it was harder than you anticipated. If you need any help, please feel free to shoot me a PM. Everyone here is imparting so much fantastic gardening knowledge, the least I can do is offer some blog/design knowledge in return. Smile
That's AWESOME! glad you\'re here to the SFG Forum!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Looking for ideas about starting a blog! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  acopley 2/27/2013, 7:44 pm

camprn wrote:That's AWESOME! glad you\'re here to the SFG Forum!

Thanks. Smile And that offer extends to anyone on the forum that needs some help.
acopley
acopley

Female Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Muckmuck 2/27/2013, 8:08 pm

My two cents on blogging is as mentioned before the free sites are GREAT! I started with googles blogspot but after a few months moved to wordpress.com . Why did I move? My blog on blogspot didn't get much interest and I had been reading some blogs on wordpress and liked their search features so I moved. My blog, thefruitychicken.wordpress.com is about my orchard/garden/chicken ranch adventures (not that kinda chicken ranch). Both of those sites are free unless you fill up their storage limits which I think would only happen if you were a shutter bug that posted lots of high resolution photos. I would also second the idea about just starting, I try to post at least once a week and have found that it is a great stress reducer for those times when you can't get out in the garden.
Muckmuck
Muckmuck

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/27/2013, 11:33 pm

Wow Acopley that is so nice of you, I will get on at work tomorrow and shoot you PM with a few questions I have. Welcome to the forum!

MuckMuck thanks for the info, I have already paid for a website at godaddy so I think I am stuck with it. ish I would have looked around a but more but I tried to jump in and just start and am now stumped on the techical parts.. I am going to chick out your blog right now! I love the name!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 2/28/2013, 10:36 am

What I'd recommend (and this is coming from someone who's not a blogger because I don't regularly (enough) have anything interesting to say):

First, I'd recommend buying a domain name. (I see that the OP's already done that.)
Second, buy webspace (webhostingbuzz.com is cheap ($40-ish/yr) and reliable (enough)) that has a good web console that allows you to, at the click of a button, install many useful programs ...like wordpress. (This step may be unnecessary as you can just use wordpress.com, though it offers you a lot more flexibility and options ...and control.)
Third, find a template that you like or pay for someone to custom design/customize one for you.
Fourth, in the words of Brain from Pinky and the Brain, ..."try to take over THE WORLD!" with your new-found blogging fame.
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/28/2013, 11:22 am

I am working on taking over the world!! But I have already spent my moolah at Go Daddy I bought the domain name and bought a year's worth of website hosting. I just get stuck on the technical parts like how to make links, how to start an archive, how to have a search feature, how to name pages, lol, it's probably not that difficult I have always just been challenged in the computer department. thinking
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 2/28/2013, 7:17 pm

Good photos
Good content

I'd also read this pretty good article below:

http://www.dailyblogtips.com/10-reasons-why-your-blog-sucks/
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down