Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
will BT kill the good earth worms ? Toplef10will BT kill the good earth worms ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

will BT kill the good earth worms ? I22gcj10will BT kill the good earth worms ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
will BT kill the good earth worms ? Toplef10will BT kill the good earth worms ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

will BT kill the good earth worms ? I22gcj10will BT kill the good earth worms ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

will BT kill the good earth worms ?

5 posters

Go down

will BT kill the good earth worms ? Empty will BT kill the good earth worms ?

Post  Guest 10/4/2012, 11:19 am

My late lettuce crop is being devastated by green worms and black things that look like droppings. I read that loopers are green caterpillars that make green droppings but the droppings on my lettuce are black, abt 1/16th to 1/8" in size. I can't find any pictures of the droppings on the web at the moment.

I have read about BT, white or wheat flour sprinkled on the leaves, and row cover.
WILL THESE METHODS KILL EARTHWORMS? Don't want that.

Also, what kind of row cover and how to apply?

Our conditions right now have been, for the past month, wet, rainy, Autumn climate in upstate NY.

I have read about other non-toxic (to humans) treatments, such as flour sprinkled on the leaves, and row cover.

thanks for any help you can provide.
katt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

will BT kill the good earth worms ? Empty Re: will BT kill the good earth worms ?

Post  Unmutual 10/4/2012, 12:15 pm

From what I understand, Bt won't kill beneficial insects. It mostly targets caterpillars and some beetles. If you have a butterfly garden(or like butterflies), then I wouldn't use it since butterflies have to be caterpillars first. There are quite a few beneficial beetles, especially in the compost pile(beetles assist in breaking down organic material). Bt breaks down within a week(or so), so keep that in mind when composting plants that have been treated.

[RANT]Insecticeds, herbicides, fungicides, etc. are designed to kill living things. It is far easier(and healthier) to make an insectary in your garden, which provides habitat for beneficial insects throughout their entire life cycle(it probably won't look pretty). When you move from a biocide regimen to more natural methods of pest control, it can take as long as 3 years to regain this balance. Either way, you're going to have some crop damage, and even with the most destructive of pests, your entire crop may not be wiped out(one or two plants may look funky, but they'll still produce..of course with leaf crops, any damage is less food).

Other methods of controlling pest insects are planting at the right time of the year(so you harvest before pest insects are an issue, which I have to do with tomatoes and stink bugs), planting trap crops(again, stink bugs are my biggest issue, so I make sure to have plenty of sunflowers between the stink bugs and my sweet 100's...yes, they pretty much travel the same path year after year...it's amazing), and interplanting(having the same crop NOT planted next to each other does confuse insects, and it's highly suggested in the ANSFG book) along with planting a different crop after you harvest a square(also in the ANSFG book). They all work, but it does require a fair amount of research on your part(your cooperative extension office should be able to help). There are books on these subjects, but the USDA/Cooperative Extension offices have plenty of free information, along with other internet sources.[/RANT]
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

will BT kill the good earth worms ? Empty worms/lettuce/droppings

Post  Guest 10/4/2012, 12:49 pm

ok that's very helpful, thanks. Sounds like the BT won't harm the earthworms.

Can you, or someone, comment on the use of flour harming beneficials like earthworms? i want to get out there today and do something right away.

Also, the cost of row covers defeats the purpose of growing my own--25 bucks can buy me a lot of lettuce.

Will either BT or flour harm the seeds themselves?

I just planted another few rows and hope the weather holds for the 6 wks needed for lettuce.

Katt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

will BT kill the good earth worms ? Empty Re: will BT kill the good earth worms ?

Post  Kelejan 10/4/2012, 1:05 pm

glad you\'re here katt.
I'm happy someone has answered your question as I did not know the answer myself.
Glad you are interested in the earthworms. Have you thought anything about compost worms? I am finding it a fascinating subject.
happy hi
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/4/2012, 1:15 pm

kattkandu wrote:

Also, the cost of row covers defeats the purpose of growing my own--25 bucks can buy me a lot of lettuce.

Katt

At our transfer station (politically correct for 'the dump'Wink we have a little house called the Treasure Chest, where folks bring things that they don't need anymore, that others can take for free. I've heard that there are sheer curtains there a lot. They would make great row covers. If you don't have a Treasure Chest in your area, maybe a church thrift shop or Craigslist may have some sheers or netting.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

will BT kill the good earth worms ? Empty worms - lettuce

Post  Guest 10/4/2012, 1:36 pm

great idea, sheer curtains, thank you. they are, however, made of synthetics. May not be an issue if they are washed a few times and don't break down in the garden or leach out in the rain.

can anyone comment on the use of sprinkling flour on the plants as i posted earlier? it hurts caterpillars' intestines... one might guess it would also hurt earthworms?

katt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 10/4/2012, 1:47 pm

I have zero information on using flour to control pests, usually it's people trying to keep pest insects out of flour. Until I (personally) found more information on that, I'd probably not use it since it does seem to attract other insects.

Spraying Bt on seeds will do nothing for the emerging plant. You have to spray Bt on infected leaves(both sides) in order for the pest insect to eat the Bt(yes, even with Bt, you will have some chewing going on). I guess if you were worried about something like cutworms mowing down seedlings, but even then you should spray the Bt on the seedling(and the seedling will more than likely still be destroyed anyway), not on the seed itself.

Probably the best thing you can do for immediate relief is to hand pick caterpillars as you see them and either feed them to chickens(if you have some), drown them in water, or smash them if you're so inclined(and angry). You may have to go out at night also to find all the caterpillars.

Floating row covers can also help, and they can last many seasons if you treat them well.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 10/4/2012, 2:10 pm

thanks, "Unmutual." I meant, does the BT kill or hurt or poison the seed or cause deformed seed or make the plant's future seeds impotent?
thanks, k
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 10/4/2012, 3:49 pm

i also just found tiny black worms on my brocolli rabe. they are abt 1/16" long or smaller and very thin.

i would love to pick the poor little things off if i had all day but i do have a job and really can't spend that kind of time. i might have to go w the Bt as much as i hate to/it's against my principles to kill things...i do so every time i get in the car and zillions of bugs hit my windshield.

i am assuming the Bt will kill both the loopers/caterpillars and the tiny black worms? too bad it doesn't kill the stink bugs, i have a lot of them this year too.

it's too late to plant sunflowers as a diversion crop.
is it too late to plant soy or millet? can i use that as a cover crop and leave it in for the winter?

thanks, katt

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/4/2012, 5:39 pm

A little More on BT, and here is the entire article: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/ipmp/publications/fact_sheets/bt.htm

Does BT Harm Earthworms, Honeybees or Other Beneficial Species?

Each BT strain infects a relatively narrow range of species. Studies have shown that predatory insects, such as lady beetles, are not at risk if they eat an insect that has been infected with BT. BT does not infect earthworms, nor does it kill honeybees or many other species of insects. BT is an excellent choice for control of many pest caterpillars because it does not harm predatory insects, birds, snakes and other animals that keep pest numbers low in the yard and garden.

llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 10/4/2012, 6:38 pm

great, thanks much. will check the article. I am very pleased with this site, you've all been so helpful and responsive!
It just stopped raining here, we'll have one day of clear weather before more rain this weekend. It's been raining for a month so it's been a challenge for a novice like me to get fall crops in. I wonder if the rain has something to do w the explosion of the loopers, hornworms, and other caterpillar-type creatures. But the rain has helped with other things, i don't have to water my compost, and i shut off my automatic watering system.
katt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/5/2012, 6:39 am

llama momma wrote:A little More on BT, and here is the entire article: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/ipmp/publications/fact_sheets/bt.htm

Does BT Harm Earthworms, Honeybees or Other Beneficial Species?

Each BT strain infects a relatively narrow range of species. Studies have shown that predatory insects, such as lady beetles, are not at risk if they eat an insect that has been infected with BT. BT does not infect earthworms, nor does it kill honeybees or many other species of insects. BT is an excellent choice for control of many pest caterpillars because it does not harm predatory insects, birds, snakes and other animals that keep pest numbers low in the yard and garden.

but beware, lady beetles and other beneficial may be killed if they are hit with bT when they are in their worm stage.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

will BT kill the good earth worms ? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down