Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Toplef10Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 I22gcj10Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Toplef10Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 I22gcj10Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting?

+8
llama momma
FreyaFL
binfordmj
jeffhbell
Ericka2385
thebarley7
hritter13
ksbmom
12 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Empty Re: Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting?

Post  Ericka2385 9/25/2012, 5:02 pm

Today was the first day I tried the vacuum in the garden. The dog did look at me a little oddly though. Luckily I have a fenced in yard, so the neighbors cannot see my ridiculousness. I do spend a considerable amount of time talking to my plants, and I'm sure they over hear those conversations.

I'm more worried about the odd looks I'll get while explaining to my man why my hand vac needs to be moved from my craft room to den next the sliding door. Needing to walk through the entire house to get my 'bug sucker' is just unacceptable... He has accepted that I am gardener (and that I'm a little quirky Wink ). He has stopped asking if I need anything at the nursery and just assumes I do, and parks on that side of the store. I don't think we've walked through the main entrance at Lowes or HD in months. Hopefully he'll understand.
Ericka2385
Ericka2385

Back to top Go down

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Empty Re: Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting?

Post  ksbmom 9/25/2012, 8:26 pm

Yeah, I get rolling eyes from my kids when they hear me talking to the plants, too. Rolling Eyes Where in Central FL are you, Erika? I am in the Lutz area (North Tampa) and it is FINALLY getting a little cooler and drier the last couple of days, so it's been so much nicer to be out in the garden. May have to start pricing hand vacs....
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Ericka2385 9/25/2012, 9:25 pm

ksbmom, I'm in the north part of Riverview. Not too far away.

The weather have just been lovely the last few days. I've been getting tired of waiting for that magical time between the afternoon heat spell and 'mosquito hour' to get my outside chores done.

Ericka2385
Ericka2385

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/25/2012, 10:30 pm

Ericka2385 wrote:Today was the first day I tried the vacuum in the garden.

Um...True story -- I know some llama owner folks that have a large shop vac thing and they vacuum up their llama poo. The poo is small, nearly dry, and bean-shaped. They pulverize it and it goes right back on the hay field.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Empty Southwest Fla gardening

Post  binfordmj 9/26/2012, 5:14 am

Hi Freya FL~ You have given me hope for my garden! I'm not in Cape Coral, but rather close. North Ft. Myers is where I grow.

How are your bags doing? I've got red and white potatoes in home made bags -used landscape fabric sown into tall bags and rolled the sides down. They are now sprouting. My squash is having a very hard time; the constant rain and now those pesky caterpillers have destroyed half of them. Had to resort to garden dust or lose the whole bed. I hate that stuff.

And thanks for the advise with sweet potatoes. Have not had any escapees yet, but will keep an eye out.
binfordmj
binfordmj

Female Posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post  FreyaFL 9/26/2012, 7:23 am

binfordmj, I'm up in N.Ft.M fairly often! happy hi I've only 4 soil bags planted so far. The tomatoes are looking very healthy in the one. And nearly all my bush beans have sprouted in another (I'm very excited about them!) The other two have my summer squashes and they've not sprouted yet. (I only planted them 4 or 5 days ago, but if they don't sprout soon, I may replant with something better suited for this weather and retry squash in a couple weeks.) Where did you buy your seed potatoes? Someone told me Tractor Supply or Futral's sells them, but I've not been to either to check. (IFAS has a list of what types grow best in FL that I'm going to follow if possible.) I think I'm going to use reuseable grocery bags for grow bags (though I like your homemade idea...do you have any pictures?) I read about doing that and I've a lot of them. May look funny... cyclops but, that doesn't bother me.

I'm very intrigued by the alternatives to pesticides advice you all are offering. I also keep bees, so I won't use anything that'll harm them (they have priority over the veggies.) Vacuums, baking soda spray, both are good! (My two self-watering containers, one with peppers, the other with tomatoes, suffered a massive white fly attack. I'll bet vacuuming would have been helpful! Instead, I dipped my hand in the pool and wiped/squished them off of every leaf for nearly a week. Blech. But effective. However, if the plants had been much bigger...)

Are any of you still doing seed starts to transplant out later? And, if so, what kinds? Also, do any of you plant any unusual veggies/fruit? With the nearly tropical weather we're getting nowadays, I'm wondering if switching from normal to unusual might be more successful.
FreyaFL
FreyaFL

Back to top Go down

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Empty pantyhose and handi vacs....

Post  thebarley7 9/26/2012, 8:22 am

Morning FreyaFL,

And, if you want to do a suspicious meetup in a parking lot, I'm willing to pass along half a dozen or so cuttings to you, too. Twisted Evil

Oh I would love that, thanks. Back-alley transactions, contraband potatoes, never knew gardening could be so adventurous Cool

I'll PM you and the Starbucks is on me Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 3170584802

Have to go vacuum. Saw one stink bug yesterday. Not taking any chances.

Thanks,

Donna
thebarley7
thebarley7

Female Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Empty SWFL fall gardening

Post  binfordmj 9/26/2012, 9:41 am

I got my potatoes from the veggie stand on the corner of old 41 & Pondella - figured they were not sprayed with anything to keep them from sprouting. Saved some tomato seeds from them also as theirs always taste so good and I haven't had good luck with the varieties I've been trying. Think they must be good for our climate. I could not find seed potatoes any where and I didn't want to wait for snail mail. My sweet potatoes came from HD in May. Kept calling till they had some.

As for the bags looking funny............I worry sometimes what my neighbors think, but if they can't take a joke, oh well. My raised bed was used as a cat box the first night I had plants in it, so I built a wall out of randomly colored wire squares used to make shelfs. Looks kind of "day care-ish" but it keeps the cats out and lets the sun in so.........It does look somewhat silly, but a backyard farmer's gotta do what it takes!

I know it's not good to use the garden dust, but frustration made me knee-jerk react to those darn piller! I tried insecticidal soap (which normally works on any pests I have including the white fly thing), then dish soap, and was losing entire plants at a rapid rate.

Will try to post pics of my makeshift gardens when more green is showing. Right now, everything is small except the sweet potatoes.

Is there any kind of garden group in this area? I love this forum! The folks at work are getting sick of hearing about my veggies! LOL
binfordmj
binfordmj

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/26/2012, 3:41 pm

Razz lol! funny post rofl

I just love this forum and the things we do as gardeners.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Ericka2385 9/26/2012, 4:56 pm

@ bindfordmj - How are the soil bags working out for you, is this the first year you've done them?? I've been trying to figure out which potato growing method I want to use and really like the idea of the bags. I had concerns with the heat though, and the bags sitting above ground. I lost my pie pumpkins and watermelons, because I tried to grow them in pots and the sun just baked them. The bag growing method seemed like a similar idea, and I'm worried about getting similar results. I was thinking about sewing my own, and making a dual layer bag. MM's and the potatoes in the middle, with a couple inch layer of sand between the MM's and the heat to act as an insulator.

I would also like to know about what pesticides are being used. I've only had a big issue with Southern Army Worms. I think I picked about 50 over the course of a week, and I used BT. So far (knock on wood) I haven't seen many bugs. This could be for a few different reasons... Either the bugs haven't been out yet in this area, I'm lucky, or the massive population of lizards in my back yard are eating them. What has everyone else been seeing by way of bugs....??

Ericka2385
Ericka2385

Back to top Go down

Post  thebarley7 9/26/2012, 5:11 pm

Was at tractor supply in Ft. Myers today. No taters, not a big selection of seeds.

Now I have a bee problem. The must have a hive in the wall of my house upstairs. Been there before, I think they are back again. Bees everywhere.

What has everyone else been seeing by way of bugs....??

The stink bugs are back. Started vacuuming today. Aside from the ants looking for dry ground I think the rest of the bugs are giving me a break. Everything has started to bear though, so I am watching carefully. I live off Burnt Store Road in N. Cape.

Last edited by thebarley7 on 9/26/2012, 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit wording)
thebarley7
thebarley7

Female Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  FreyaFL 9/27/2012, 7:33 am

binfordmj, Yes! Info on the potato bags would be appreciated. I'm still pondering and thinking and planning, too.

Erika, I've not had problems with the heat baking anything...yet. Were your plants in pots or the ground? My major problem has been suddenly, for no reason, forgetting to water for a day or two, then everything dies or stresses and then does poorly. That's why I like the self-watering containers. I've even added 2, 2liter empty bottles to each of my 2 cubic feet soil bags for reservoirs. (Just water the surface lightly then fill the containers.) So far, so good. I'm wondering how to add these to a potato bag garden, though.

thebarley, BUMMER on Tractor Supply and the seed potatoes! Did you ask about them? (I'm wondering if I should call.) Sorry about the bee problem, too. Seems that once bees move into a place, even if they are removed, there is a really good chance another swarm will move into the same spot later on. (Though, if you're seeing bees everywhere, it may be that a swarm is just in your yard and haven't actually moved into your house yet.) A new law was passed so that you have to call an exterminator to get them removed. In the past, you could have called a beekeeper to come capture them. (That's how I got my first hive.) The former FL State bee association president is now working for Monsanto. He got this passed quickly. No

As for bugs, white flies. They've infested one of my sweet potato beds. They moved onto my peppers and tomatoes. (I've gotten those under control.) Other than that, nothing. Yet. ((knock on wood)) But everything is only just beginning to grow.

Btw, I'm in SE CC. Very Happy
FreyaFL
FreyaFL

Back to top Go down

Post  Ericka2385 9/27/2012, 3:45 pm

FreyaFL, they were in pots. I had two pumpkins and two watermelon. At the time it seemed like a good idea, I can't even remember why I didn't want them in the regular beds. Maybe it was because of the amount of space they take. The timing was probably off too. Oh well, live and learn.... But I was really excited about them.

Is it too late in our area to plant watermelon?? There about about 30 peppers plants outside, I was thinking about pulling a couple against the fence and trellising a melon up there. I cannot for the life of me know what I'll do what all those peppers anyways. When does everyone plant them in our awesome-generally-winterless state?
Ericka2385
Ericka2385

Back to top Go down

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Empty SWFL Fall gardening

Post  binfordmj 9/27/2012, 4:02 pm

This is the first year I have grown white potatoes and waited for fall to avoid the overwhelming heat of summer. Since the sweet potatoes did so well this summer in the fabric liner, I figured it would work for the white potatoes. I did not let my potatoes sprout before I planted them so it has taken a few weeks but they are sprouting now. I have the bags sitting on bricks to assist with drainage and hopefully avoid ants. The whole thing is sitting on a rock bed outside the pool enclosure. I had planned on using mulch to fill the bags as they grew taller but can anyone tell me if the standard wood mulch is a bad idea? Or should I just use more dirt? I don’t want to hose this up now that they are actually growing.

I did try a type of hydroponic setup I saw on line somewhere with a green bean plant but the sun heated up the water in the reservoir to the point it killed the plant. I won’t be trying that again.

My remaining squash has new growth after the garden dust so I think it did the trick with those darn piller.

I am tickled to see so many of us in this area! I learn so much from everyone here!

I did learn that not only do sweet potatoes like our over-heated summers, but black eye peas like the same weather. Now I'm planning to plant them both next year right after my early spring crops are done to see if I can find something else to grow in the "down time" of high heat. (So Excited!!!)
binfordmj
binfordmj

Back to top Go down

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Empty Watermelon

Post  binfordmj 9/27/2012, 4:13 pm

Erika,
I just planted a few sugar baby watermelons in a wood box frame (about the size of a long drawer)lined with landscape fabric along with a few cantalope seeds from fresh fruit further down the rock bed from the potatoes. I don't know if this is the right or wrong time to plant them but I figured I'd give it a shot. They are supose to take less time to mature than the larger ones so I was hoping they would be done before the cold we might get after the first of the year. Let me know how yours do.
binfordmj
binfordmj

Back to top Go down

Post  Ericka2385 9/27/2012, 4:28 pm

I love Florida. We have a 'break' from gardening in the summer instead of a winter. Counting days off of the frost seems almost seems like math. I'm trying to have hobby, not a second job. Geeze...

Since there are so many of us Floridians here... Let me pose a question. Since I figured out I was going to have a garden in the back yard, I'm been trying to figure out how to have a root cellar. My grandma had one, it was awesome, I loved it, and it's in Idaho. After much research, I've kinda given up.

So, the question is... How do you store potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, turnip, parsnip, or winter squash. You know... those things that would store well except for our awesome humidity.

I've thought about getting the under the bed rolling storage bins, filling them with sand or straw, and putting the veg in there. They'd be in A/C rooms, hidden from the light, and the sand would wick away moisture. The idea would be to mimic the in the ground storage folks with 'winters' can do.

I think I have some 'mini-melons' in my seed tub. I think they want to be planted. Yea... go binfordmj. Even if it is the 'wrong time' maybe we'll get lucky with a late (or no) frost.
Ericka2385
Ericka2385

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 9/27/2012, 5:51 pm

I'd say go ahead and plant the watermelon. If it doesn't work, you've only lost some seeds. I've gotten very brave about throwing seeds in the beds now. I'm holding my breath because I have a couple summer squashes and a few winter ones growing really well.....and I'm trying to be very diligent about spraying with BT and baking soda to combat mildew and worms! I wasn't so diligent about harvesting the okra, though, and there are bunches of volunteers coming up! I don't even like okra, but my hubby wanted to plant them (we never even ate any although the plants produced tons - couldn't seem to harvest them at the right size to eat them and I don't know how to cook them so they're not slimy!)

FreyaFL - I now have a sweet potato in a jar on the windowsill in the bathroom. Can't wait to plant! Very Happy
ksbmom
ksbmom

Back to top Go down

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Empty SWFL fall garden

Post  binfordmj 9/27/2012, 6:35 pm

OK. Please excuse my ingorance, but what is BT? If you all are using it, then I know I should be too.

I have been wondering about storage too! If my potato bags do what "they say" then I will have at least 50 lbs of potatoes and our family of three cannot possibly eat them in time. Maybe a hanging basket in a closet? Right now I have my sweet potatoes resting in a basket in the back porch- sounded like the ideal place to cure them according to "the internet" and they are fine; so far.
binfordmj
binfordmj

Back to top Go down

Post  FreyaFL 9/27/2012, 6:36 pm

Do any of you use "SproutRobot" (.com)? It's a site that gives planting dates (both direct sowing and indoor seed starting) for wherever you live (does it by zipcode.) I'm hoping it really knows what it says because, if it does, it's wonderful. I checked it for watermelon planting dates.

Erika...30 peppers? That is a lot of pepper plants! Are they different varieties? And, I've wondered about a root cellar as well. No idea if your idea would work, but it sounds interesting. I get so frustrated with trying to keep onions and potatoes here.

binfordmj, I'm also interested in knowing about the potatoes and wood mulch (which is what I would use.) If you find out, let us know?

As for other HOT summer crops, besides sweet potatoes, I have had great luck with yardlong beans and katuk. I love yardlong beans and we eat these almost daily when they're producing. Katuk is tasty and good in salads. (And, if you have chickens, this is GREAT for them.) I've also had luck with okinawa spinach. However, we found we only really care for it when it's cooked in a tomato sauce, then it's great. Otherwise...meh. (It's very decorative, though.) I haven't tried black-eyed peas. I'll try that next summer.

ksbmom, too funny on the okra! My friends grow it, too, and say it does really well. I've just no idea how to cook it.
FreyaFL
FreyaFL

Back to top Go down

Post  Ericka2385 9/27/2012, 7:22 pm

I'll be trying out the'under the bed in the sand' storage if the onions/garlic/carrots turn out. I didn't get potatoes started in time, but I'll try them in the spring. If it doesn't work, the next growing season is only a few months away, sense we can grow those things twice a year.

There are actually 32 pepper plants. It wasn't meant to happen. My beds are all 6x3, and I ended up with two full beds. The first half were planted, and they are all that was meant to be planted. They are a mix of bell, poblano, banana, anaheim, and jalapeno, which I was happy with. The somehow I came from from the store a couple days later with a seed packet of mixed hot peppers. I started the seeds, meant to plant about 8 of the starts, and ended up planting an entire second bed. The extra hot ones will be roasted and frozen, or dried and made into chili powder. We do go through a lot of peppers cooking, even though I never really think about it.

I've never heard of 'SproutRobot'. I reference the EDIS site for Central FL for guidance, but end up planting whenever I want to spend some time outside. Well, why the suspense?? What did it say for watermelons??
Ericka2385
Ericka2385

Back to top Go down

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Empty Watermelons

Post  binfordmj 9/27/2012, 8:21 pm

For zip code 33903 it said to plant watermelons on December 31st. Well, I will just leave mine in the ground and see what happens.
binfordmj
binfordmj

Back to top Go down

Post  Ericka2385 9/27/2012, 8:27 pm

Mine says the same thing, December for the melons. Oh well...

Oh, and BT... it's a spray for worms. It's naturally derived I believe. It doesn't kill on contact, but once it's in the worms system is slows them down and kills them a day or two later.
Ericka2385
Ericka2385

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 9/27/2012, 8:45 pm

BT is "bacillum thurengenesis" - a natural pesticide that you spray on the leaves (you have to soak them well, tops and underside). The worms eat it and it keeps them from being able to digest, then they die. It works really well and since we're trying to garden as organically as possible, I like it. Otherwise, I pay my three kids a nickel a worm!

bindformj - the EDIS chart I have says to plant watermelons through August, but maybe I'm in a different zone? North Tampa area. I planted mine early September.
ksbmom
ksbmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Ericka2385 9/27/2012, 8:49 pm

I was just cross checking the Sprout Robot website to the EDIS guide. Some things jive, some don't. It's neat how the site gives dates to expect sprouting, transplant, and harvest.
Ericka2385
Ericka2385

Back to top Go down

Central Florida SFGers - when do you start fall planting? - Page 2 Empty South

Post  binfordmj 9/27/2012, 8:59 pm

Thank you ladies for the info on BT, I will need to try that.

ksbmom ~ I think I will use your chart as my watermelon is already in the ground. LOL

Erika ~ what did you do with the anaheim & poblano's? I had them growing from spring, but felt it was to much of a pain to roast and remove the outer skin everytime I wanted to use them so I pulled them up. Still have my bells & jalapenos. Two of my bells are on from spring 2011.
binfordmj
binfordmj

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next