Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Keeping bees - Page 11 Toplef10Keeping bees - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Keeping bees - Page 11 I22gcj10Keeping bees - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Keeping bees - Page 11 Toplef10Keeping bees - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Keeping bees - Page 11 I22gcj10Keeping bees - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Keeping bees

+43
countrynaturals
JohnKelly
Escaped Lunatic
Scorpio Rising
Elizabeth
Turan
mschaef
Marc Iverson
Cajunsmoke14
AtlantaMarie
kauairosina
recoush
rabbithutch
R&R 1011
brainchasm
Millenia
at2wooden
malefacter
boffer
martha
grownsunshine
Goosegirl
sanderson
LittleGardener
bnoles
CapeCoddess
yolos
Pink Pandora
HillbillyBob
Triciasgarden
Unmutual
NHGardener
Lavender Debs
landarch
walshevak
Kelejan
llama momma
plantoid
GWN
CindiLou
RoOsTeR
camprn
Pollinator
47 posters

Page 11 of 38 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24 ... 38  Next

Go down

Keeping bees - Page 11 Empty Re: Keeping bees

Post  NHGardener 5/7/2013, 4:44 pm

Thank you, pollinator!

Okay, let's rule some out. There was zero brood, and no odor, so I don't think it was foulbrood. They didn't die in a cluster I don't think, because there was a thick layer of dead bees on the bottom board. I had started seeing a lot of dead bees on top of the snow the entire winter and had a feeling something was not quite right, there were too many dying.

There were a lot of white specks in the cells and around BUT I had also kept hardened sugar (just sugar and water hardened together) in there since February, so I'm wondering if they may have been sugar granules, but they might well have been varroa droppings. One other thing about varroa is that I used drone combs last summer, and I don't think my timing was quite right on removing them, and I know if you don't catch the brood before it hatches it can multiply varroa in your hives.

No pollen in the hives. There was comb honey, but another possibility is that it was in a location that the cluster could not get to easily. We had a long, cold winter (with a lot of snow). Of course, I did put pollen patties in there starting February - could those have been a culprit... shouldn't be, but can't say 100%.

I'm leaning towards either a substance, varroa (altho I didn't see any mites, and didn't notice wing issues), or starvation from poorly placed honey comb. But mostly leaning towards the main culprit, varroa.

The aggravating thing is that both hives were affected, not just one. The stronger hive was affected the most.

In my weaker hive I see working layers - 2 eggs per cell. I'm writing that one off too.

One other consideration is that the packages we buy are raised in the south, and I hear that the queens raised in the south are not well adapted to live up here in the cold north, and that there is a lot of failure with the queens. Altho I wouldn't think a queen failure would kill them off over winter.

If I had thought more clearly I would have gathered the dead bees and sent them off to be tested, and next time I will do that.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/7/2013, 6:06 pm

NHGardener wrote:

There were a lot of white specks in the cells and around BUT I had also kept hardened sugar (just sugar and water hardened together) in there since February, so I'm wondering if they may have been sugar granules, but they might well have been varroa droppings. One other thing about varroa is that I used drone combs last summer, and I don't think my timing was quite right on removing them, and I know if you don't catch the brood before it hatches it can multiply varroa in your hives.

The white specks from varroa should be distinguishable from sugar, as they would be smeared and stuck to the sides and tops of the brood cells.

NHGardener wrote: No pollen in the hives. There was comb honey, but another possibility is that it was in a location that the cluster could not get to easily. We had a long, cold winter (with a lot of snow). Of course, I did put pollen patties in there starting February - could those have been a culprit... shouldn't be, but can't say 100%.

I doubt the patties would hurt any; they should help.

NHGardener wrote:I'm leaning towards either a substance, varroa (altho I didn't see any mites, and didn't notice wing issues), or starvation from poorly placed honey comb. But mostly leaning towards the main culprit, varroa.

The aggravating thing is that both hives were affected, not just one. The stronger hive was affected the most.

In my weaker hive I see working layers - 2 eggs per cell. I'm writing that one off too.

If they eggs are in the bottom of the cell, it's a failing queen. If they are on the sides about halfway down, it's a laying worker (usually more than 2 eggs -sometimes 10-15). A young queen will sometimes lay two eggs in some cells until she gets into her groove.

NHGardener wrote:One other consideration is that the packages we buy are raised in the south, and I hear that the queens raised in the south are not well adapted to live up here in the cold north, and that there is a lot of failure with the queens. Altho I wouldn't think a queen failure would kill them off over winter.

Sounds like you've been talking to a salesman. That's hype. The queen breeders in the South know better. They raise queens from proven northern stock, not southern.

But sometimes failure is from factors than no one can control. Ideally a queen should mate with about 15 drones. But if she flies on a cold windy, or rainy day, she may not meet this quota, and she'll run out of sperm before a well mated queen would. Otherwise good breeders make sure they queens have good nutrition and mating yards that are saturated with high quality drones.

Queens can also be killed or injured by the beekeeper pulling out frames. If she gets pinched or rolled, and it's too late for the colony to rear and mate an emergency queen, it's a lost colony.

The fact that you had no brood at all, would indicate queen failure as a factor. The droppings of varroa could add that as another factor.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/7/2013, 6:39 pm

Ok, the hive "Confusion" IS dead. They were in the hive, under the hive, and in the screened board. I dropped the queen cage the next day as I was taking it out. After she had been released. She was alive and well when I put her in. Could she have gone on maiden flight and not come back? Could the cold have killed her? This was a very confusing hive!
There was very little comb..maybe a hand sized circle on ONE frame side. Dead bees head first in side. There was burr comb UNDER the frames. Dead bees head first.
You say that is a sign of starving. I used a top feed like told in my class. Of course no one knew our 2" predicted snow would be 12"! Did they NOT cluster right to start with because of no queen?
This was some of the bees. Just as many dead underneath,
Maybe a dozen flying around....
Keeping bees - Page 11 Dead_b10
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/7/2013, 6:48 pm

On the other hand "Chaos" is thriving! No, I did not see the queen on this my first inspection. But I have eggs, small larvae, and large larvae! Different colors of pollen, nectar (or syrup?). AND LOTS OF BUZZING BEES!
One side of one comb had all kinds of babies! Some on another also. 5 frames had comb being built with one side of one full.
Keeping bees - Page 11 Comb_o10

I think next time I will NOT do inspection with hubby around! He rushes me! The ladies were calm and I was enjoying myself!

Alex (6yrs) loved the burr comb!
Keeping bees - Page 11 Alex-b10

One of the combs with dead bees
Keeping bees - Page 11 Bees-b10

I left the top feeder on the live hive, lots of bees drinking from it. Will need to make more syrup tomorrow.

CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/7/2013, 6:57 pm

rofl rofl rofl pretending I know what I am doing!

Keeping bees - Page 11 Lets_s10
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/7/2013, 7:01 pm

CindiLou wrote: rofl rofl rofl pretending I know what I am doing!

Keeping bees - Page 11 Lets_s10
you are learning

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Keeping bees - Page 11 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/7/2013, 9:11 pm

CindiLou wrote: rofl rofl rofl pretending I know what I am doing!

ROFL!

CindiLou, you are learning fast in the University of the Seat of the Pants. That storm was a hard blow for one just starting. Apparently they just got separated from their food supply, and were too cold to move to it. The bees in the comb head first is classic starvation symptoms.

That's one reason I like the sugar rim feeders. Hungry bees are usually at the tops of the frames, but not necessarily under the feeder hole. The sugar feeders provide feed all across the entire top. But if the cluster was small and they couldn't liquify the sugar, they might have perished anyway. It's sad. But it's apparently one of those things that just couldn't be helped.

You, or someone, (please forgive my senioritis) mentioned about the queen making a mating flight? No one I know would ship package bees with unmated queens. In fact a good breeder should have the queen laying and showing a decent laying pattern before ever caging and shipping it off.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/7/2013, 10:39 pm

I am going to keep in mind the sugar feeder thing. My poor ladies. I starved them to death Sad Karma is gonna get me, I just know it... Sad

I asked if she did a maiden flight. Guess I learn a lot every day lol..Makes sense she would have already before being shipped.

But my ladies were very patient today! And in a good mood.

Now to decide what to do about the second hive. Will cost about $80 for a nuc.

I don't think I want to wait and take a frame of brood from this hive since it is new.
I want to make up my mind in the next couple of weeks. While blooming is still going strong and not so hot for them.

I don't want to go into winter with one hive. But I need to give a second one plenty of time to build up.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/8/2013, 12:27 am

CindiLou wrote:I am going to keep in mind the sugar feeder thing. My poor ladies. I starved them to death Sad Karma is gonna get me, I just know it... Sad

I asked if she did a maiden flight. Guess I learn a lot every day lol..Makes sense she would have already before being shipped.

But my ladies were very patient today! And in a good mood.

Now to decide what to do about the second hive. Will cost about $80 for a nuc.

I don't think I want to wait and take a frame of brood from this hive since it is new.
I want to make up my mind in the next couple of weeks. While blooming is still going strong and not so hot for them.

I don't want to go into winter with one hive. But I need to give a second one plenty of time to build up.

I wouldn't knock yourself. You were doing the best you knew, under freaky conditions.

You might try the old fashioned way on getting your second hive. Get on your county extension list, your local firemen, police, etc. to let them know you are available to take swarms.

Or you can set up your hive for a time as a bait box. With a bit of comb already drawn, it will be more attractive. To entice a swarm to chose your box, put it up high (at least six feet) in the air. Check it daily during swarm season.

Back where there were lots of wild bees, I put up bait boxes along the river swamps here, where there were many colonies in hollow trees. I would nail two 2x4s between two trees about six feet up. Then I'd screw/tack three hives on those, with the middle one facing the opposite direction as the end hives. The last year before the varroa mites came in, I caught almost a hundred colonies.

As soon as you get a swarm in the box, move it to your prepared location.

Now there are few swarms nowadays, compared to what they used to be. Around here, varroa mites and clearcut logging have done in most of the feral bees. But there still are a few. And there are beekeepers who do not practice swarm prevention - which isn't very smart - it's about like a cattleman letting all his calves run off to be lost in the woods.

Any experienced beekeeper can tell you, they'd rather have the swarm than the colony that cast the swarm. Swarms are primed to GO. If you wan't foundation drawn perfectly, a swarm will do it better.

Just a thought.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/8/2013, 9:17 am

Pollenator do they practice artificial insemination of queen bees over your side of the pond for inclusion in packages of bees?
Then run them as small neucs to prove the fertility .
or
Do they just bung an inseminated queen in a queen holder and slip her in with a pack of shaken bees and ship them out?

It was something I wanted to try, ready for setting up selling bee packages as a side line when I retired but I couldnt afford a decent microscope and the other equipment at the time .

plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/8/2013, 9:56 am

Pollinator - thank you again for all the information! I am really hopeful to think maybe I don't actually have laying workers in my hive just because there are 2 eggs per cell. Maybe she's actually a new queen? Or for some reason just not into the swing of things yet. I'm going to give that hive a little more time before I write it off.

Also, I'm intrigued to try a bait hive! I can rest a medium or two with drawn out comb/honey frames on top of the 8' chicken run and see what happens. I know wax moths, etc. can be an issue with honey in there, so I wouldn't leave it for long, but right now I believe is swarm time so it would be really interesting.

Would I have to put a bottom board under the super? Stack 2? Cover?

Cindi, glad to follow your story too.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/8/2013, 6:02 pm

New today from bee Culture.
http://blog.beeculture.com/?p=151

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Keeping bees - Page 11 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/8/2013, 6:11 pm

Thanks that was interesting Camp , no mention of pre mated tested queens , pesticides or GM crops either . Things must vary all over the USA just like the UK .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/8/2013, 7:13 pm

Wow camprn, thanks for that, sounds like my story.

i don't know exactly what to say about the situation. Of course we feed new packages. But if, say, the queen's been damaged, then I guess the 2 choices are re-queen the package fairly quickly, or just let them requeen themselves. I'm kind of inclined to let them requeen themselves. Last year I remember thinking - oh no, queen cells, I better scrape those, and afterwards I second thought that.

Do you requeen with local queens?

I'm interested in what they're going to say about varroa. As one club member said here, they don't die from varroa, they die because the varroa chews a hole into them that lets viruses pass in.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/8/2013, 8:20 pm

I had three self raised queens last year (for a variety of reasons) and I am happy with the results. The Italian spare queen I bought for a split failed. The self raised queens all came through late summer laying well and putting up honey. They managed the winter in great shape.

I don't touch supersedure type queen cups, but I do pay attention to any signs of swarming and swarm type cells.

Last edited by camprn on 5/8/2013, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos per usual)

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/8/2013, 9:18 pm

plantoid wrote:Pollenator do they practice artificial insemination of queen bees over your side of the pond for inclusion in packages of bees?
Then run them as small neucs to prove the fertility .
or
Do they just bung an inseminated queen in a queen holder and slip her in with a pack of shaken bees and ship them out?

It was something I wanted to try, ready for setting up selling bee packages as a side line when I retired but I couldnt afford a decent microscope and the other equipment at the time .

The queens for production use are all naturally mated in small nucs. Then they are given time enough to produce some brood, so they can be evaluated. They are then taken out of the mating nuc, and placed in a package, or sold separately. Another cell is placed into the mating nuc for another run.

Artificially inseminated queens are much too expensive for production use (And they wouldn't be very good anyway, as they don't hold up well for the long term. It's hard to get enough sperm into them to match natural mating with 12-15 drones.)

AI queens sell at auctions at the national bee meetings, and some bring thousands of dollars. They are used by queen breeders, in producing the queen cells that become new queens. Usually a second AI queen is used to develop the drone rearing colonies that are used to flood the mating yards with high quality drones.

Queen breeders do not want to narrow the gene pool, so they normally breed from two different lines. The second line has a valued characteristic, such as varroa resistance, or hygienic behavior.

Plantoid, you don't need to raise AI queens to do packages. You just need to get super strong bees early in the season so you can shake the extra bees out of them.

If your bees are in nice shape, you can get at least a package from each two hives. When you are done, your swarm control of your own bees has been taken care of; you can super them up and let them make honey. Or you can shake a second series of packages from them, if there is still a market.

In order to do this, you might want to team up with a queen breeder in a partnership, because it's hard to do both packages and queens at the same time, unless you have a big enough commercial operation to run two divisions with several employees in each. Even with just doing packages and buying queens, you'll still need at least temporary help as it will take 3-5 people to make up the packages. There is a strong market for packages, so it's a good way to get some early cash flow from your business.

You can do artificial insemination with a $50 used school dissecting microscope, if you wish. Everything else could be homemade. I've never had the need for it, other than to just play around (and I have, just for the experience). You'd have to be really, really good, and have access to the greatest stock, to get AI queens that bring the big bucks.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/8/2013, 10:45 pm

camprn - How did you know you had 3 self-raised queens? Were the originals marked?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/9/2013, 4:40 am

Thanks Pollenator that was very very informative and useful.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/9/2013, 6:15 am

NHGardener wrote:camprn - How did you know you had 3 self-raised queens? Were the originals marked?
Nope I didn't have mrked queens. Over the course of the season I knew when they weren't queenright (no eggs or brood). And then there were all the queen cells... Wink

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/9/2013, 9:10 am

I'm looking at queen cells in a whole new light now - as something to want instead of something to get rid of. Esp. since I heard it's not uncommon to see 2 or more queens in a hive.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/11/2013, 5:48 pm

BEEEEEZZZZZZZZ...
in the kitchen because it's raining like crazy outside.

Keeping bees - Page 11 00310

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/11/2013, 7:02 pm

Wow, camprn! Are those Italians? Carn's?

I don't pick up until next weekend.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/11/2013, 7:12 pm

Italians and 2 spare queens on top.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/11/2013, 8:37 pm

Awesome!

I just had to give mine more syrup...They were almost out and it is going to get down below 40 again tonight! darn..I am NOT having a good year to start beekeeping!

CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/11/2013, 10:21 pm

Forecast says down to 33° ..jeez..when is winter going to leave IOWA!!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 38 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24 ... 38  Next