Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato Toplef10Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato I22gcj10Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato Toplef10Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato I22gcj10Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato

+4
Scorpio Rising
AvaDGardner
camprn
brynn.mahnke
8 posters

Go down

Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato Empty Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato

Post  brynn.mahnke 7/22/2012, 3:41 pm

Last year I purchased a Yellow Pear tomato plant from our farmer's market. I really loved the variety! This year I was excited to see that in the place where I had planted last year a "volunteer" plant sprouted, and I assumed it was yellow pear as well. The plant is now about 5 feet tall with lots of blossoms. However, the blossoms are dropping off after they close. I have not gotten a single fruit. It has been producing blossoms for probably about a month now, maybe longer.

Anybody know why this could be happening? It has been HOT here, up to 100 almost every day for the past month or so. I water regularly. Other tomato plants near the area are doing just fine, and have fruit setting on with apparently no issues. None of those are yellow pears though, I was hanging my hat on this volunteer. I'm not sure if it the weather and it will correct, or if it was maybe some kind of hybrid and so it will never be fixed and I'm just wasting garden space! I'm debating if I should pull up the yellow pear and plant something else or give it some more time. What do you guys think?
brynn.mahnke
brynn.mahnke

Back to top Go down

Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato Empty Re: Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato

Post  camprn 7/22/2012, 3:55 pm

Hi Brynn, glad you\'re here to the SFG Forum! So it is probably the heat giving you troubles. Tomatoes don't like to set fruit in temperatures above 90F. Hang in there! The plant will continue to try to make fruit if you can keep it alive in that terrible heat. Once the bloom sets it should grow some fruit.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 2:15 am

What do you to help the tomato survive in the heat?

Shade cloth?

I have a volunteer yellow pear (I think, at least there were pears all over my garden when I got it), and a 'orange bomb' (cherry). Both are tall, and have flowers, but neither seem to set fruit or keep in on long enough to ripen. I've had some bombs, but they haven't been ripe. I think they may get disturbed when I pick my beans which are next to them.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Blossom drop - Yellow Pear Tomato Empty Help!

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/28/2015, 2:46 pm

OK, just back in from looking at my boxes....all 4 of my Brandywine tomatoes are like done flowering. They have some large green fruit that has been set for some time, but no blossoms. They looked like they were actually "clipped" but I think they just kinda closed up and dropped off. The cherry (mislabeled) is still goin' strong.

Blossom drop? It went from cool and rainy to now no rain in 10 days and today it is 90 here. I had to water day before yesterday because things looked stressy.

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/28/2015, 4:09 pm

Plants take siestas in the hot weather. sawing logs

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/28/2015, 6:45 pm

I typically get almost no tomatoes until August due to the brutal June and July heat around here. It's disappointing, but not a problem like disease or bugs and such ... just means I have to wait. And it means that even though I have a nice long summer here, my effective growing season for tomatoes is actually quite short.

At least the plants have all that time to keep building up their root systems and greenery, so when it comes time to fruit, I get loads and loads of it.

I think the only thing close to a solution is planting more spring crops and leaving them in longer if they're still producing, as June and July are pretty much dead months for tomatoes anyway.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/29/2015, 7:26 am

OK, so I will just chill. Thanks!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 7/29/2015, 5:23 pm

I just wanted to echo some of the thoughts about extreme heat and tomato flowers.  I have also had super hot temps here.  Most, if not all, my tomato flowers fall off when there are long stretches of heat.  Like Marc, I seem to get most tomatoes late in the season.  Getting there is tricky, though, when fungus becomes an issue mid-season.

I planted yellow pear tomatoes last year and I'm sorry I didn't this year.  I miss the extra umph it gives when presented in salads, pizza, etc.  They are so pretty!  Also, I found that they are pretty disease resistant.  Hope things turn out well for yours.   Smile

Last edited by Windmere on 7/29/2015, 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added yellow tomato comment)
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/29/2015, 5:32 pm

Windmere, I just jumped onto this existing thread, I have Brandywine in this year. But I too love the little pears! So pretty and makes everything look so very! Maybe that will be my go to cherry next year!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 7/29/2015, 5:41 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Windmere, I just jumped onto this existing thread, I have Brandywine in this year.  But I too love the little pears!  So pretty and makes everything look so very!  Maybe that will be my go to cherry next year!
Oops, I see that now.  Sometimes it's hard for me keep up, ha ha.  Ah well, I see where you came in.  Like you said, be patient, your tomatoes will get going when it cools down.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/29/2015, 6:16 pm

Interestingly my lone cherry doesn't seem as affected as the big ones. It is blooming away.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 7/29/2015, 7:09 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Interestingly my lone cherry doesn't seem as affected as the big ones.  It is blooming away.
Hmm... you know what?  My Sungold never really stopped putting out flowers and setting fruit.  I'm wondering if that's just because it's so prolific in the first place.  So many flowers that it doesn't make a difference if it's hot simply because of the sheer numbers at all times.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 7/29/2015, 9:05 pm

camprn wrote:Hi Brynn,  glad you\'re here  to the SFG Forum! So it is probably the heat giving you troubles. Tomatoes don't like to set fruit in temperatures above 90F. Hang in there! The plant will continue to try to make fruit if you can keep it alive in that terrible heat. Once the bloom sets it should grow some fruit.

I disagree, because I've seen it happen. Tomatoes WILL set blossoms, even in 100 degree heat, especially the cherry varieties, including yellow pear. The difference with the hot weather is that it narrows the window where pollinatino can occur to just a short time in the morning. If the blossom does not get a visit by a bumble bee in that short time before the pollen is killed by heat, then you will get blossom drop.

However, you can make like a bee yourself. Invest $5 in a Middle C tuning fork - one of the best investments you can make. Rap the fork to get it vibrating, and touch the flower stem, in the morning as soon as the dew is dry. If the flower is ripe for pollination, you will have pollen shoot out of the flower. Then your blossom drop will end.

Some people claim tomatoes are self pollinated - that is not true. They need help.

Some say they are wind pollinated - that is only partly true. Wind can shake loose some pollen and provide enough to fertilize some of the seeds. That can make a tomato, but usually an inferior tomato in size and quality. Remember that good pollination involves getting ALL the incipiend seeds pollinated. This takes a lot of pollen.

The best pollinators are the ones that "buzz" the flowers, setting up a resonant vibration that releases hundreds of pollen grains. That way you know you have enough pollen for a superior tomato. The bumble bee does this by attaching to the flower, and vibrating her wings in the key of middle C. You can be the pollinator with a tuning fork, to mimic the bee.

I hope this helps clear up a lot of misunderstandings about tomato pollination.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/30/2015, 3:40 am

Unless I miss my guess, it sounds like you're saying they set fruit in the morning before it gets to 100 degrees anyway, which I think is or is effectively about the same as others have said.

The problem over here is how short that window of acceptable temperatures can be. It was over 107 today, and as summer goes by it starts to hit the high 90's quite early in the morning, so for effectively most of the day, it's too hot. That's sometimes followed by nights that are too cold. So I have to wait till August for more than a smattering of tomatoes, if that, and those mostly cherries. Meantime, I see virtually nothing but dried out flowers on the plants, when the flowers are still stuck to the plants at all and not on the ground. Shake and pluck and tap as I might, let the wind blow as it might.

I think I'll try that tuning fork thing at some point, though. Couldn't hurt. Tried my electric toothbrushes -- they just bruised the stems and made them ooze liquid.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/30/2015, 4:20 am

Marc, You realize that August is only 2 days away. Shocked I think the different shades I erected did help the tomatoes, though.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/30/2015, 9:15 am

Windmere wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Interestingly my lone cherry doesn't seem as affected as the big ones.  It is blooming away.
Hmm... you know what?  My Sungold never really stopped putting out flowers and setting fruit.  I'm wondering if that's just because it's so prolific in the first place.  So many flowers that it doesn't make a difference if it's hot simply because of the sheer numbers at all times.

Either that or maybe they are just inherently more heat tolerant, not sure. And I am sure that mislabeled cherry is a hybrid, but Brandywine is heirloom.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/30/2015, 12:27 pm

sanderson wrote:Marc, You realize that August is only 2 days away. Shocked I think the different shades I erected did help the tomatoes, though.

I sure hope it hurries up. It's going to be 105 today, and still 98 at 7 p.m.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down