Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN Toplef10New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN I22gcj10New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN Toplef10New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN I22gcj10New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN

3 posters

Go down

New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN Empty New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN

Post  auntiemommy 4/12/2010, 10:57 am

Hello all! I spent the weekend building my square foot garden. I have two 4x8 boxes and a 4 x 6 box, with a pea rock path. I got one of the grids built, and planted 4 broccoli plants last night. Gathering all the different composts for the mix was challenging, but I managed to find 5 different types of compost.
I have started a small compost pile in the corner of my yard, no enclosure for it yet.
I plan to build 3 vertical supports using the plans in the book, but since we are a ways away from our last frost date, I have plenty of time to get them made.

I have gardened for over 10 years in a traditional row garden, with attempts made to fix my local soil made every year.
I have a daycare and the kids and I do all the planting each year. It will be awesome not to wait for my husband to have time to roto till the garden each spring.
auntiemommy
auntiemommy

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN Empty Re: New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN

Post  choksaw 4/12/2010, 11:13 am

Hello and welcome auntiemommy sounds like you got alot going on at your house with the garden and the children but its always great to get them started off early, yeah the compost was a bit of pain for me too. most people have had the hardest time finding the vermiculite hence the vermiculite source forum. lots of information and crafty/thrifty people here and many discussion going on so jump right in and join us, be sure to stop by your regional forum to meet people in your area and hardiness zone. composting is deffinatly the way to go youll always have a renewable source of natural fertilizer, there are some with limited space attempting a vermiculture (worm compost) set up. feel free to ask any and all questions and post up some pics (kids working in the garden are always fun to see) look forward to hearing and learning from your experiences.
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN Empty Thanks

Post  auntiemommy 4/12/2010, 11:34 am

Thanks for the welcome!
I got lucky finding the vermiculite. But now I really want the Garden time stuff for my next boxes, how awesome to have it premixed! Mixing it was a huge pain, we did it in two batches and I will need to make another one.
auntiemommy
auntiemommy

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN Empty Re: New Square Foot Gardner in Southeast MN

Post  choksaw 4/12/2010, 11:42 am

3 diffrent attempts on my end to mix it but i had to do it solo (91 yr old grandpa couldnt help) i wound up adding the ingredients to the empty box and then just mixing away with my arms (thats was an interesting shower) took some elbow grease and sweat but i got both boxs filled and ready in about an hour
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  new2this 4/13/2010, 7:46 am

Hi there AM......I am from your area too!
I am new to SFG this yr - first yr I've ever tried to garden for that matter.
I have only 8 strawberry plants in....waiting to tie my trellis up and get to some peas. Not sure what I'm waiting for though....it's gonna be a gorgeous week here (a little rain is all).

I am near Rochester.

Good luck with your garden.....actually, that'll be easy - i should say good luck with your daycare kids - I dunno how you do it; good for you.
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down