Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Severe drought... - Page 3 Toplef10Severe drought... - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Severe drought... - Page 3 I22gcj10Severe drought... - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Severe drought... - Page 3 Toplef10Severe drought... - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Severe drought... - Page 3 I22gcj10Severe drought... - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Severe drought...

+26
dsfin
Goosegirl
Kate888
camprn
CindiLou
stripesmom
Kelejan
yolos
boffer
walshevak
southern gardener
plantoid
Momof5Js
floyd1440
GWN
Belle87ad
crs
herblover
Chopper
cheyannarach
RoOsTeR
CharlesB
Triciasgarden
Coelli
llama momma
Josh
30 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Severe drought... - Page 3 Empty Re: Severe drought...

Post  llama momma 7/2/2012, 10:15 pm

Got 40+mph wind/rain here on Sunday which came right on the heels of Fridays 82mph wind/rain storms that declared Ohio and other states into a state of emergency. It's going to take 5-7 days for many people to get their electric back.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  dsfin 7/2/2012, 10:26 pm

Sorry, I don't agree that watering overhead (the entire plant) is a good thing (sorry Josh & Boffer). Boffer, true you and I know that mother nature in the PNW provides for a lot of "overhead" watering, AND it seems to be OK. But that only applies to plants not covered (i.e. not protected TTs, etc.!!). Mostly because those plants not covered/protected naturally have adequate air flow to go along with the overhead method of watering.

Watering overhead promotes the spread of plant diseases in certain situations if/when they are already present. So why take the risk? There are already a multitude of potential risks involved with growing plants anyway. Why promote a potential risk?

Best to irrigate at the soil level (not overhead); it is the prescribed best practice. With this method you can water both early morning (best) and/or late in the day.

If watering overhead AND late in the day AND there is a lack of air movement to evaporate the excess water on the foliage there is an increased chance to promote disease times 3!! If doing the same in the morning, at least there is the likely chance all the excess overhead water on the foliage will have evaporated by evening.

In times of excess heat (drought conditions?), shading and/or misting is the way to go, along with the soil level irrigation. Misting will help reduce the air temp without dumping or drenching the plant foliage with an excessive amounts of water. Shading/misting will help the plant from transpiring so much too.

Avoid excess water on the foliage during mid-day to prevent sun scalding of the leaves.

I liked the comment about "young" plants (seedlings or those just transplanted) needing more frequent watering (especially when their root system is not well established yet). More established plants won't require as much frequent watering under the same short term conditions.

---Dave
dsfin

Male Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/2/2012, 10:33 pm

Fair enough. I can't tell you how many times I've stood out in the rain using a wand to water the MM (and not the plants) in a TT hoop house! Razz
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  dsfin 7/2/2012, 11:08 pm

Aaah, I die hard SFGer you truely are!!!

How are you 'maters doing this year? You got'em in the new greenhouse? Any ripe ones yet?

---Dave
dsfin

Male Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/2/2012, 11:46 pm

So the fires are in full force now in the Black Hills. There has been one raging for a few weeks up by Sheridan (approx 20 miles from home) there is one raging in Newcastle, WY (approx 40 miles from home) and there is oe raging in Edgemont (approx 30 miles from home). We were camping in Hot Springs for the last few days and last night my sister in law had to leave early for evacuation (in WY) and we watched the smoke from Edgemont fill the sky, found out today the smoke we were watching was caused by a slurry bomber crash with 2 deaths Sad . It's so sad that we can't get the moisture to helo prevent this from happening while others are getting flooded out. This morning when we went fishing ou couldn't even see across the lake No .
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/3/2012, 12:59 am

Goosegirl wrote:We really need it but all the rain keeps missing us as well. It is currently 8:58 pm and 88 degrees with 70% humidity. Our current heat index is still 101F. No rain in sight until Wednesday, supposed to be 96 and T-storms. If we get rain at that temp I will look like this afro

The upside is that I will be able to pick already-steamed veggies!

GG FrizzHead

PS - it is now 9:06 PM and 90 F. Heat index just went up to 104! Shocked Gonna be a miserable night in SD

Oh I hope you have air conditioning to cool you down. I sure do not do well in that amount of heat and humidity. I would just melt into a puddle. I hope you get some good rain and it cools things off for you!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/3/2012, 1:15 am

llama momma wrote:Got 40+mph wind/rain here on Sunday which came right on the heels of Fridays 82mph wind/rain storms that declared Ohio and other states into a state of emergency. It's going to take 5-7 days for many people to get their electric back.

That is just freaky 82 mph wind! Oh I hope you are not without electricity! I heard about the storm on the weather channel but did not know it would take so long for the electricity to get back on! I was wondering if anyone here on sfg was affected! I hope things can settle down for you!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/3/2012, 1:17 am

cheyannarach wrote:So the fires are in full force now in the Black Hills. There has been one raging for a few weeks up by Sheridan (approx 20 miles from home) there is one raging in Newcastle, WY (approx 40 miles from home) and there is oe raging in Edgemont (approx 30 miles from home). We were camping in Hot Springs for the last few days and last night my sister in law had to leave early for evacuation (in WY) and we watched the smoke from Edgemont fill the sky, found out today the smoke we were watching was caused by a slurry bomber crash with 2 deaths Sad . It's so sad that we can't get the moisture to helo prevent this from happening while others are getting flooded out. This morning when we went fishing ou couldn't even see across the lake No .

That is so sad about your sister having to evacuate. Did everything go ok for her? So sad about the crash and 2 deaths! That smoke really gets to you after awhile! Hope they get those fires under control very soon!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/3/2012, 5:17 am

Triciasgarden wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:We really need it but all the rain keeps missing us as well. It is currently 8:58 pm and 88 degrees with 70% humidity. Our current heat index is still 101F. No rain in sight until Wednesday, supposed to be 96 and T-storms. If we get rain at that temp I will look like this afro

The upside is that I will be able to pick already-steamed veggies!

GG FrizzHead

PS - it is now 9:06 PM and 90 F. Heat index just went up to 104! Shocked Gonna be a miserable night in SD

Oh I hope you have air conditioning to cool you down. I sure do not do well in that amount of heat and humidity. I would just melt into a puddle. I hope you get some good rain and it cools things off for you!

Thanks TG! As long as we have electricity we will be fine. However, if we lose power we will be mighty uncomfortable. However, we are not flooded or on fire, so things could be much worse. So sad about the crash and 2 deaths of ones trying to get those fires under control.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/3/2012, 7:46 am

cheyannarach wrote:So the fires are in full force now in the Black Hills. There has been one raging for a few weeks up by Sheridan (approx 20 miles from home) there is one raging in Newcastle, WY (approx 40 miles from home) and there is oe raging in Edgemont (approx 30 miles from home). We were camping in Hot Springs for the last few days and last night my sister in law had to leave early for evacuation (in WY) and we watched the smoke from Edgemont fill the sky, found out today the smoke we were watching was caused by a slurry bomber crash with 2 deaths Sad . It's so sad that we can't get the moisture to helo prevent this from happening while others are getting flooded out. This morning when we went fishing ou couldn't even see across the lake No .

It is to bad Sad Stay safe up there. It's still incredibly smoky here, but our fire here is finally 100% contained. They are saying mop up will probably continue though until we start seeing some snow and moisture this fall Evil or Very Mad
I think Montana is getting hammered now by fire too pale

Severe drought... - Page 3 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/3/2012, 11:01 am

Yeah, we had big headlines on the crash because the guys were from NC. All we can do is hope for rain and hope the technology helps.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/3/2012, 12:44 pm

It's very sad Kay. Now I heard there was 4 deaths and they are investigating into the cause. I think is was a microburst that knocked it down, we have been having a lot of that going on around here lately.No
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Severe drought... - Page 3 Empty Severe drought

Post  SQFTBIX 7/3/2012, 1:41 pm

We have only had a few nights of rain. I am thinking of using the water from the condensation line of my Central A/C. Anyone know if that is ok for veggies or should I just use it for the flowers?
SQFTBIX

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/3/2012, 1:50 pm

The only contaminants would be from the metal or plastic lines that collect it. It's safe in my opinion, but some folks worry about that sort of thing.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/3/2012, 1:55 pm

SQFTBIX wrote:We have only had a few nights of rain. I am thinking of using the water from the condensation line of my Central A/C. Anyone know if that is ok for veggies or should I just use it for the flowers?
I keep a bucket under mine to collect the water. I give it to whomever is thirsty, flowers, vegetables, shrubs or bees. But they prefer less than clean water... go figure. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Severe drought... - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/3/2012, 2:03 pm

I use the water from my dehumidifier. Take about 2 - 3 buckets a day. I take a cup with and give each square a drink in the early evening. Seems to soak right in and the next day I notice that at this point in the season, the plant shades the square enough that it doesn't evaporate at the rate it would with young plants.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  Belle87ad 7/3/2012, 2:39 pm

Ahhhhhhh! Last night I thought for SURE we were going to get a nice, wonderful, blissful downpour. I cheered on the thunder and lightening I got to witness on my way home from work. Watched with glee as the dark clouds rolled in. Jumped up and down in my driveway (sort of) when some fat, heavy drops of rain fell, and...and...that was it...the clouds moved on, the sun came out, the thunder taunted me in the distance.

Sad

Sigh. No

We need rain.
Belle87ad
Belle87ad

Female Posts : 74

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/3/2012, 8:21 pm

llama momma wrote:Got 40+mph wind/rain here on Sunday which came right on the heels of Fridays 82mph wind/rain storms that declared Ohio and other states into a state of emergency. It's going to take 5-7 days for many people to get their electric back.

That storm just went south of us by 20 miles and went I went to work Monday there was no power, roofs ripped off barns, trees and branches all over the road. It has been an odd summer weather wise to date
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/3/2012, 10:55 pm

floyd1440 wrote:

That storm just went south of us by 20 miles and went I went to work Monday there was no power, roofs ripped off barns, trees and branches all over the road. It has been an odd summer weather wise to date

The damages are so extensive it's taking 5-7 days to get electric back on while temperatures remain steadfast in the mid - high 90's. 100,000 still without power around here. We're freaky fortunate the house and barn are connected to a backup generator that kicks in 30 seconds after the electric went out. It keeps life pretty normal.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 7/4/2012, 9:06 am

Belle87ad wrote:Ahhhhhhh! Last night I thought for SURE we were going to get a nice, wonderful, blissful downpour. I cheered on the thunder and lightening I got to witness on my way home from work. Watched with glee as the dark clouds rolled in. Jumped up and down in my driveway (sort of) when some fat, heavy drops of rain fell, and...and...that was it...the clouds moved on, the sun came out, the thunder taunted me in the distance.

Sad

Sigh. No

We need rain.

Same thing here, it's stormed 3 times in the past week, I was about 7 miles from home and it rained so hard I had to pull over to the side of the road and wait till it slacked up so I could see to drive, when I got home, not a drop!

Then yesterday when the fat rain hit, we got maybe 30 seconds of it and that was it, never seen such fat rain before, while I was looking up one hit me in the face, was enough water to wash off my whole face with... Razz The rain drops were so far apart while they were falling down it was weird looking, never seen it rain like that before.
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/4/2012, 2:17 pm

We're freaky fortunate the house and barn are connected to a backup generator that kicks in 30 seconds after the electric went out. It keeps life pretty normal. [/quote]

Smart thinking of getting that generator!

A few days ago a cloud went over my house and gave us shade and I said Ahhh, then it was gone. Later I saw wonderful clouds by the mountains but they were not coming my way. 10% change of precipitation today, 30% tomorrow. Maybe we will get some rain!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Belle87ad 7/4/2012, 8:05 pm

Josh wrote:
Same thing here, it's stormed 3 times in the past week, I was about 7 miles from home and it rained so hard I had to pull over to the side of the road and wait till it slacked up so I could see to drive, when I got home, not a drop!

Then yesterday when the fat rain hit, we got maybe 30 seconds of it and that was it, never seen such fat rain before, while I was looking up one hit me in the face, was enough water to wash off my whole face with... Razz The rain drops were so far apart while they were falling down it was weird looking, never seen it rain like that before.

You must've gotten the same thing we had! Or, well, didn't have to be more accurate, hah. It was such a tease!!!
Belle87ad
Belle87ad

Female Posts : 74

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 7/16/2012, 6:19 pm

We haven't had rain since I built my new boxes (around the first of May). My community garden is on a well, but the city has announced new watering restrictions which include wells. So I can water only every other day, and preferably by bucket. I pulled out the watering stakes and have been using them. Positive side of a drought - the squash bugs haven't emerged - so I'm getting zuchinni for the first time in a couple of years. Onions and garlic dried down nicely. I'm keeping the broccoli alive and will prune in August. Carrots are sad looking. Got to baby the cukes to keep them going. Peppers and toms are doing ok, although the critters ate my sweet peppers, so all I have are the hot fruits.
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 7/20/2012, 9:30 am

Hey, Squaredeal did you finally get some rain? My future son-in-law is down in Carmel and says they got their first rain in a month and a half. I don't know how much, but it was pouring.
Kate888
Kate888

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 7/20/2012, 9:55 am

SQFTBIX wrote:We have only had a few nights of rain. I am thinking of using the water from the condensation line of my Central A/C. Anyone know if that is ok for veggies or should I just use it for the flowers?

Mine doesn't produce enough water to be significant for watering garden plants.

I have a pan under my a/c drain, with lumps of clay in it. During the hot, dry weather, the potter wasps, the mason bees, the organ pipe wasps, and the mud daubers can get mud for their nests. The bees help with pollination and these gentle wasps are great for pest control in the garden.

Honeybees will also come, and the clay lumps keep them from drowning as they drink.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next