Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! Toplef10Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! I22gcj10Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! Toplef10Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! I22gcj10Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN!

+4
walshevak
BackyardBirdGardner
FarmerValerie
dizzygardener
8 posters

Go down

Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! Empty Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN!

Post  dizzygardener 4/4/2011, 11:59 am

High winds, severe thunderstorms, over and inch of rain, and hail are all forecast for my area.

If you are in or near western NC you'd better batten down the hatches tonight! Shocked
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! Empty Re: Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN!

Post  FarmerValerie 4/4/2011, 12:00 pm

Dizzy, it just blew through here, you are so right, batten down those hatches, it was rough.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! Empty Re: Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN!

Post  dizzygardener 4/4/2011, 12:05 pm

Has it really? I was half hoping the weather man would be wrong. Guess I better pull out the plastic tarp and put the lids on the 18 gallon tubes with my potatoes in them.

Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! 3040868389 Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! 3040868389 Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! 3040868389
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/4/2011, 12:06 pm

I'd be watching anwhere in the UpperSouth, MidSouth, Midwest, MidAtlantic, or even LowerSouth and Coastal areas.....anything east of the Mississippi River. I saw the WeatherChannel giving TorCons in the 6 and 7 range last night. Not that anything is imminent, but there could be a lot of damage in the "wrong" areas. The red area on TV was fairly widespread this time.

Thanks for the warning. I'm sure some people will get this before they get it from their local TV stations. Tis that time of year, though. Most get missed, a few get unlucky.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/4/2011, 12:13 pm

It slammed us about 9AM and there were tornado warrnings and some pretty hefty damage in some areas, in fact we went to news instead of inturruptions.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/4/2011, 12:21 pm

BBG,

You are right, everyone should be alert and take appropriate steps.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/5/2011, 7:22 am

Woo Hoo, rain hitting the side of the house woke me up. High winds have been blowing all day yesterday and last night - gusts up to 60mph. Rain hit about 6:30 and must have had one of those gusts behind it.

Almost lost my outdoor couch cover and got soaked rescueing it. But the gardens are looking good. Nothing growing high yet. NE. NC.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/5/2011, 8:09 am

Not sure of how low the low was yet, I haven't checked yet, before I went to sleep the predicted low here was 37. I looked out my window and no frost.

Kay I'm glad you and yours and your garden are all okay.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/5/2011, 10:44 am

OK, That was an absolute disaster!

We had winds over 100mph, hail, and got 2 inches of rain over night. There are trees down all over my property, and our power has been out since 10pm last night. I'm posting this from a coffee shop in town.

BUT, my SFG came through just fine! I covered it in row cover and in a plastic tarp. Even with those winds the hoops stayed on as did the tarp. The only issue I had was that the tarp sagged a bit and smashed one of my red russian kales, but it looks like it's ok.

Oy Vay! Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! 43549
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/5/2011, 10:47 am

Dizzy-I'm so glad you are okay. That was one for the records huh? I hope your power is returned soon, and I'm glad your SFG is fine, but most of all that you came through it okay.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/5/2011, 10:53 am

Thanks Val.

Yeah, it was bad... real bad. My neighbor had the closest call. A tree fell within 20 feet of her front door. It blocked our road up here, but we got someone to cut the tree away. My hubbie had to walk down the mountain and hitch a ride to work this morning! Shocked
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/5/2011, 11:06 am

Oh my goodness! Glad you are all okay.

We woke up to a couple of inches of fresh snow this morning but that isn't so bad. It will most likely be gone in a couple of days.

take care all of you.

Gwynn Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! 695909
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/5/2011, 1:02 pm

As long as the house, people, and garden are fine, I consider this the "most get missed" part. Glad y'all dodged the bullet!

When the time comes, it sounds like you will have plenty of composting materials for awhile. Wink
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 4/5/2011, 1:13 pm

Dizzy, where about in WNC in the mountains are you? I'm in WNC also - in Black Mountain. We heard the storm come through somewhere around 11 or 11:30 last night. It was mighty powerful. Everything's okay here though. Glad you're okay, although I know you have a lot of cleanup work ahead of you. Not fun!
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/5/2011, 2:13 pm

Compost? Most of that downed tree stuff around here becomes heat in the winter at our house. Most everyone around here owns a chainsaw, and when the weather gets bad they get ready to hit the roads as soon as it let's up to go clear roads, check on the elderly, and haul off trees-all at no charge. If the elderly have a tree down and use wood to heat, they get the tree, if they just want it hauled off, the guy with the chain saw gets it. Some do try to charge, but they are usually weeded out by the locals when no one is looking (missing chainsaw, truck won't work, etc). One year though, we lucked out, a friend had a tree fall and some of the branches did minor damage to their house, and they had insurrance. My husband is in the repair business, he did the repairs, and got the tree, and a check from their insurance company (all legal).

As much as I would love to have a chipper to make mulch for walkways, and to add to the compost pile, that would have to wait until I have 2-3 years of fire wood first.

Okay, back to the OP.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/5/2011, 11:30 pm

24 hours later, my power is back on! I'm relieved! For a while the power company thought I'd be without power until Friday! affraid
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/6/2011, 12:53 am

Severe weather headed toward WNC... AGAIN! 993580 Glad your power is back. 24 hours is 24 hours too long.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 4/6/2011, 12:54 am

Oh my goodness....so glad you have power again.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down