Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Toplef10PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 I22gcj10PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Toplef10PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 I22gcj10PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Today at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012

+10
southern gardener
GWN
kinggarbear
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
FamilyGardening
Lavender Debs
boffer
happycamper
gwennifer
14 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Empty Re: PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012

Post  FamilyGardening 8/7/2012, 3:34 pm

another week has gone by Sad im sad because i dont want summer to be over just yet....seems like its only been 2 weeks Razz maybe because we have only had a *real* summer for two weeks....its clouded over today What a Face

here she is....our big brandywine ripe on the vine! :drunken:

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0044

she weighed in at 1 lb 4oz and is a bit on the ugly side....my hubby said only a mother could love....ha ha....it was because i was all giddy about picking her and saying *isnt she wonderful*

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0045

her back side What a Face

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0046

our five Super Italian Paste are going strong....we have had two ripe so far

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0047

they form these pretty clusters all over the plant

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0048

still have a lot of sick plants trying to produce What a Face

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0049

planted a few more rooted suckers yesterday....hoping to put these guys in the green house to see if we can get a few more tom's in the fall....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0050

a couple of Jubilee's....been waiting for these two...they are blushing now...cant wait to taste them....im hoping they taste like the very first tomato we ate this year that was soooo sweet....i loved the flavor of that tomato..but..im not sure what type it is because we forgot to lable the plant when we transplanted it....so im hoping it was a Jubilee!...they are heirlooms and i will for sure save seeds and try again next year.....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0110

our harvest so far for this year (besides the cherry tom's that dont make it in Razz we have to get ouside before our 6 year old son does or we dont get any! rofl )

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0051

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 8/7/2012, 5:59 pm

August 7, 2012
Rose I love the flip side of your brandywine....if you turn the picture (with the scar) so that the right side is the bottom, you can see the squinting eyes and big nose of an old man who needs to put his teeth in. (maybe it's just me)

Finally, Tomato Tuesday video DONE ON TOMATO TUESDAY!!!!

Go Here ----> for Tomato Tasting "Ranger" F!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 8/7/2012, 9:44 pm

Look at my two brandywines - only just big enough to show up on camera last Tuesday, and this Tuesday they are already changing color. Silly little things. PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Tomato10

So disappointing. There's a third one up on top - wonder what it will do. Well, at least the plant looks healthy. If you can find those two tomatoes down there, for reference those squares on the trellis are 7 inches.PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Tomato11
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 8/7/2012, 9:58 pm

Awwww Gwennifer, it IS a nice healthy looking plant and PNW Brandywines are prima-donnas. Rose and Steve have got the touch! You are getting fruit! (I do not have any on mine). Chin up girl! You done good!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 8/8/2012, 1:31 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:Rose I love the flip side of your brandywine....if you turn the picture (with the scar) so that the right side is the bottom, you can see the squinting eyes and big nose of an old man who needs to put his teeth in. (maybe it's just me)
It is a great photo! I couldn't resist. I see the old man one way, I see an angry bird the other way:PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Tomato12

Lavender Debs wrote:Chin up girl! You done good!
Thanks for the love. I love you I'm wondering, after watching that other Brandywine thread for a while, if buying cheap no-name brandywine seed is part of the problem. I learned from that thread that there are actually different varieties and strains within varieties, none of which are listed on my seed pack. But then I watched your vid and sounds like you're experiencing undersized fruits as well, from plants you have previous experience with?

My Romas are also much smaller than I expected. Most of them look like strawberries and my poor 1 y.o. got a shock when he thought just that and popped one in his mouth! However, I diagnosed them as being low in phosphorous after reading this:
Phosphorous - Phosphorous deficiency is commonly confused with nitrogen deficiency. Remember, nitrogen affects color in different shades of green. Phosphorous may cause a purplish tinge in the veins, stems, and underside of leaves. Also, stiff stems and stunted growth are also indicative of phosphorous deficiency. If your fruit seems overly acidic in taste, you may be experiencing problems with phosphorous levels.
Mine are definitely stunted, which I thought was because they were unhappy in their pots. Definitely stiff, purplish leaves, which I chalked up to the cold, wet June at first. Definitely too acidic in taste, which is why I thought I don't like tomatoes! Anyway, since phosporous is needed for flowering and fruiting, and I'm apparently low, that could help explain the tiny fruits.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 8/14/2012, 4:26 pm

Today I am seeing a muscular Olympic arm in Roses Brandywine.
August 14
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 August31
Sunshine and heat and these things change color......who knew?
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 August32
These tiny plants are Beaverlodge Plum
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 August33
And the ever faithful Black Plum which are looking very red this year.

We have been eating Siltz and Gold Nugget, delightful!
Debs ......whose head aches with unreleased tears after watching the Kathi G memorial .....whose sister in law got the news that the cancer they though was back is not.....on the day Kathi died. Such is life! I think the blackberry lavender jam is helping!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/16/2012, 7:09 pm

our family took it hard about kathi G as well Sad

(((hugs))) Debs glad to see red on your tom's!!

im looking forward getting home sometime tomorrow ..been out of town for a couple of days.....our son is getting some eeg testing done....he is doing fine.....missing his dogs though....he cried this morning wondering if the dogs knew where he was and that he will be home soon to take care of them.....( he is the one that feeds them every day and as being only six years old didnt relize that when daddy left last night to go back to our town to work that he went to our house to feed the dogs) Very Happy

we are hoping to find a tomato or two ripe when we get home!.....there was a lot of green paste tomato hanging on the vines when we left.......

we will be having a taste test too.....we are going to taste a yellow jubilee, a red bradley, a red rainbow, orange/red marglobe, sweetie red cherry, and our orange/yellow cherry volunteer.....we are still waiting for our yellow pear to turn color and another brandywine on our other plant....

i have pictures on our home computer i want to share when we get back home.....the paste tomato plants were so thick and lush that some of the branch's broke off What a Face we had to give them a major cut What a Face hoping not to get home to find in-shock plants Shocked we will for sure grow this plant again next year cyclops

we also got rid of a few plants.....they were looking to sick and i dont think we would have enough time in this season to even wait to see if any of the flowers would produce fruit......our brandywine was one of them.....she gave us a huge fruit and lots of seeds......she did her job Very Happy

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 8/22/2012, 12:42 am

Rose I hope you made it home safely and the testing on your son provided you with some useful results.

You and Debs will have to clue me in on Kathi G? Google isn't helping me...

Well folks, if my Brandywine tomatoes were people, I'd owe them an apology. They were not ripening after all and have grown much bigger over the last couple of weeks. The plant has officially reached the top of the trellis and has five tomatoes growing on it. Here it is:PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Brandy10
And here's the two lower tomatoes:PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Brandy11
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/22/2012, 11:28 am

Sad news about Kathie G, I gather she is a local person.
Been through the whole cancer thing and am always nervous about every little thing that it might have returned.

Figure this is as good a place as any to show off my tomatoes
First of all my zapotecs the cute (no longer little) heirlooms from Southern mexico have been the slowest of all to ripen and even as such, I have once again ripened my tomatoes long before anyone else around here, I totally swear by the ripening banana .PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dsc_0218
These ones are the heirloom Alicante which are supposed to be medium sized english tomatoes, but have turned out almost as big as the brandy wines. They are delicious
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dsc_0219
And of course my brandy wines, a few have weighed in at 2 lbs thus far. We had a HUGE storm warning the other day, and that there may be severe hail and so I went out and picked all the the semi ripe tomatoes I carried them in in large bowl and weighed myself with each trip and it ended up being 80 lbs. For anyone who has read the barbara kingsolver book "animal vegetable miracle" I am thinking I might be into barbara territory, she said that they harvested .2 of a ton, which I figure must be 400 lbs.
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dsc_0220
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dsc_0312

From Janet who is off with my basket of tomatoes to bring smiles to all my non gardening friends
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/29/2012, 1:12 pm

ah our days are cooling off Sad

we have lots of green fruit .....and are going to try and make a temp hoop over the top of them to see if we can get them to ripen

never in our wildest dreams did we think this heirloom Super Itilian Paste would produce so many fruits Shocked we had to cut limbs off because they were bending and breaking......we also just cut off the tops so they wont be working so hard to make fruit.....next year...we are going to do only single stem with these guys.....( remind me next year will ya!!)

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0111

up close at these pretty clusters of fruit

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0112

we are hoping to move these heirloom jubilees into our little green house....we cut the tops off of them too

jubilee #1

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0113

jubilee #2

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0114

the heirloom rainbow we hope will ripen, the last one we got from this plant was yellow

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0115

our son's sweetie in his self water container with MM is HUGE and loaded with fruit....i mean loaded.....we really wish we could move this one into our green house.....hey....maybe we can put some kind of temp hoop over this one as well....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0120

close up of his clusters

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0117

three sucker roots that we are going to move into the green house to see if we can get something off of them.....they seem to be doing pretty well.....keeping my eye on the one in the middle...his leaves are starting to curl and the under part is a bit purple.....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0118

our first sucker that we planted into our box #1 SFG has lots of fruit....we have been able to eat a few of them....hoping the others will ripen....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0119

the rest of our tom's are still hanging in there even though they look awful What a Face some of the fruit they give is good and others are given to the worm farm....

i believe this is a heirloom marglobe....i really like the flavor of this one.....its also a hard worker even when its under stress of being sick What a Face

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0122

hoping we get to taste all of our tom's so that we can give a taste test review at the end of our summer season.....i think the yellow pear is the only one we are waiting for to ripen for a taste....

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/29/2012, 1:20 pm

gwennifer thank you for thinking of us getting home safe....it was a long two day stay and we found out he is not having Seizures which we are thankful for.....he is now going for other testing....praying this test come back normal as well....if not....its not good news....

did your Brandywines turn color yet?

GWN....your tom's look great!....are you still getting a lot?.....how ripe does the banana need to be?....and you just lay it under the plant while still in the peel?

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/29/2012, 1:23 pm

Hi Rose
Your tomatoes look great, and I think you still have lots of time for ripening and even a bit of growing.
I have cut back all of the leaves right up half of the plants now and am trying to focus the energy on ripening and growing a little larger.
I think about the end of september last year I took all the green tomatoes off my plants and layed them out on cardboard in the basement and they gradually ripened such that we ate our last tomato at christmas.
I had to keep going and getting rid of any that were rotting, but it really extended the season for those outside the hoop house
There is still LOTS left to this year..... at least I think rock on
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/29/2012, 1:26 pm

ROSE
I just put the banana under and in the midst of the tomatoes when it has a few black spots on it.
Wishing you the best for you son and his testing.

Janet
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/30/2012, 12:04 pm

GWN ....please clarify .... Do you use green bananas in the greenhouse to bring red to large unripe tomatoes???

I ask because I have a lot of slightly tinted orange unripe toms in the green house
Or

Do you put both together in a dark warm room so the ethylene gas off the green bananas will ripen the toms and the gas of the toms will ripen the bananas. ( Old commercial friuit & veg wholesalers trick )
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/5/2012, 2:15 pm

we are having a warm spell this week! cheers so with that and bananas under the plants we are starting to get more ripe ones sunny

Super Italian paste....the taste is good...not super sweet but i think they will make great sauce....the plants are healthy, thick and lush .....we will grow them again next year.....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0077

the plants are covered in groups of fruit

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0132

volunteer seeds from last year.....we are getting lots of fuit now....but i still dont care much for the taste....hubby and son like them though....not sure we will grow these guys again next year

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0078

Yellow pears.....the plant is really sick and im not sure if that matters for the taste or not....but these guys are not the greatest in flavor and they took a long time to ripen.....they are just now turning color

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0079

Yellow rainbow....the fruit is very pretty and the flavor is ok

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0080

my son's Sweeties.....LOVE this one....big thick lush plant with tons of very cute fruit....fruit lays like grapes ...love the taste....going to plant several of these guys next year and going to also try them in a topsy turvy.....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0081

our daughters Marglobe took awhile to get its fruit.....the plants are not very lush...but the flavor is very good!

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0083

Jubilee....half the plants did well....the other half were sick....but...the flavor is awesome and the fruit it so pretty...an orange color with lots of meat inside....we will grow this again next year!....two plants in one pot below.....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0084

Brandywine.....found a few more growing behind the plant LOL....the plants were not very healthy....they only put out one or two fruits and the taste was ok....not sure we will grow them again....they were the first to put on fruit.....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0085

Bradley.....slow to put on fruit....sick plant....very good sweet taste!.....we might try again next year to see if we can get a healthier plant growing.....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0086

my rank in order from best to worst....considering how well they grew in our PNW weather and how they taste.....

will grow again Very Happy

#1 ......sweeties-OP

#2........Super Italian paste-heirloom

#3........Jubilee-heirloom

#4........Marglobe-heirloom

might grow again

#5............Bradley-heirloom

#6............yellow rainbow-heirloom

#7............red rainbow-heirloom

wont grow again

#8...........Yellow pear-heirloom

#9............saved seeds from last years voluneer

thought we planted 10 differnt types thinking

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/5/2012, 3:20 pm

Rose - you missed the Brandywine in your list of what you will grow next year. That maybe number 10.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/5/2012, 3:57 pm

awww yes the Brandywine.......thank you yolos!

even though it was fun to grow this one.....i think only getting one to two fruits is just not a good fit for our PNW weather.....we want to grow productive, healthy and good tasting fruit during our short warm season.....the Brandywine just doesnt cut it....

if i could go back and change my ranking it would be.....

will grow again cheers

#1 ......sweeties-OP
(healthy, lots of fruit, great flavor!)

#2........Super Italian paste-heirloom
(healthy, lots of fruit, good flavor)

#3........Jubilee-heirloom
(50/50 on health, great flavor, good amount of fruit)

#4........Marglobe-heirloom
(sick plant, good amount of fruit, great flavor)

might grow again study

#5............Bradley-heirloom
(sick plant, a few fruits, great flavor)

#6............yellow rainbow-heirloom
(sick plant, few fruits, good flavor)

#7............red rainbow-heirloom
(sick plant, few fruits, good flavor)

wont grow again What a Face

#8........Brandywine-heirloom
(sick plants, not much fruit, ok flavor)

#9...........Yellow pear-heirloom
(sick plant, ok amount of fruit, poor flavor)

#10............saved seeds from last years volunteer
( ok/poor health, lots of fruit, a few tasted good as long as they were really ripe, but on the most part yucky flavor)

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 9/5/2012, 11:18 pm

It is turning out to be a good tomato year. I had tried a few new types and I am happy with the Sungold and Green Grape (Baker Creek) varieties. We have had plenty of tomatoes for daily eating and I am canning them as I go. Today I did a few more of the 1 1/2 pints of cherry tomatoes. When I can tomatoes they are usually for specific family favorite recipes so I always have several jars of mixed colors as well as like colors. At the end of the growing season they all get mixed and become tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce.
A picture of today's efforts..
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Tomato11

happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/6/2012, 1:37 am

happycamper Very Happy those jars look so pretty!!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 9/18/2012, 11:47 pm

September 18 (with moments to spare)
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Sept_110
This is the first ripe ox heart and good golly was it good! It isn't even the biggest.
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Sept_111
More coming. I made a cognac tomato soup from the last of the early season tomatoes. It was good cold with cubed avocado but not as good as late season soup...BUT there was one ox heart ready so I picked it for the soup.... Had a taste before it all went into the pot....YUM!!!!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/19/2012, 12:52 am

how beautiful your ox heart is Debs! cheers

so glad to see the weather up north in Sept is treating you well and your tom's are ripening sunny

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 9/20/2012, 7:18 pm

You can tell it is Sept in the PNW by the quantity of ripe tomatoes on the plants. I picked last night.
Bag one,
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Tomato12
Bag two,
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Tomato13
And it begins....
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Tomato14
happycamper
happycamper

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/23/2012, 2:56 am

looking good cheers happycamper! are you going to can them? Very Happy ....i have been wanting to ask you if you peeled the skin off of the canned cherry tomato you have for your avitar pic?...they look so pretty I love you

tom's are getting ripe here too in our family gardens Very Happy

super Italian pastes.....we had to cut back a lot of foilage....we have been with holding water as well....along with a ripe banana.....we are getting lots of ripe fruit....i think we are going to have enough to can some sauce cheers

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0108

our son's sweetie continues to give us a ton of sweet fruit!!

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0109

jubilee still going strong....we cut off the growing tips....been getting very pretty orange tom's

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0135

sucker plant doing well

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0136

these two came from suckers as well....starting to produce fruit...going to move these guys into the green house when the weather turns colder.....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0137

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Dscf0138

hugs
rose.......
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 9/23/2012, 6:08 pm

FamilyGardening, Yes I canned nearly all of them. Most of the Sungold's were dehydrated and vacuum sealed in quart jars. Most of the red tomatoes made 3 cases of 1 1/2 pint jars of Italian tomato sauce. The yellow's and the rest of the red tomatoes made a mixed case of golden (yellow) soup and regular tomato soup (along with soup for lunch).
To answer your question about canning the cherry tomatoes, I do not remove the skins. Some people do remove them because the skins will peel off and curl up when they are reheated in recipes but my family doesn't care and for this I am glad.
Your plants look great, keep up the good work.
happycamper
happycamper

Back to top Go down

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 4 Empty tomato canning side note

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/23/2012, 6:45 pm

My dad, while Mom was out of state caring for a relative, was faced with lots of tomatoes ripening up; but he had no idea how to deal with them. So he wiped them off, packed them in freezer bags and tossed them into the freezer to await She Who Cans. Turned out to be an inadvertent genius move: Mom could remove a sack of tomatoes from the freezer, let them BEGIN to defrost; grab hold of a tomato and squeeze it; out would pop the center ready to be canned, made into soup, or added to a stew. Of course, you have to have extra freezer space, but it's a great solution to an immediate problem. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next