Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Toplef10PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 I22gcj10PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Toplef10PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 I22gcj10PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012

+10
southern gardener
GWN
kinggarbear
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
FamilyGardening
Lavender Debs
boffer
happycamper
gwennifer
14 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Empty Re: PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012

Post  FamilyGardening 7/25/2012, 11:04 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Rose, love hearing about your tomato adventures. What kind of paste tomatoes are you raising? Have you had good experience with it in the past? Last year, we had some good luck with a variety called Federle, with some of the fruits being 7" long. It's a kind with few seeds, so makes a great canned spaghetti sauce variety. Nonna

hi nonna Very Happy

our paste tomato plants are *Super Italian Paste* Heirloom...this is the first year growing them....so far they are doing very well Very Happy ...ooh your Federle sounds good.....we are wanting a good meaty paste with low seeds to use for sauce Very Happy ...yet we will be happy to have a ripe tomato to slice and put on a sandwich Razz we planted several differnt types of heirlooms just to see how they will hold up here in the PNW....some are doing better then others What a Face

three Super Italian Paste...with a double fruit at the bottom turning red cyclops

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0130

two Super Italian Paste

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0131

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/25/2012, 11:26 pm

.....some tom's are doing better then others....yet....the ones that are looking pretty sick and sad...still try to please us with providing some fruit Shocked

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0132

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0133

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0134

this guy was really sick as a seedling and we almost thru him out What a Face (there are two plants there together in one pot).....(they grew to close together as a seedling) so they became one and .....with some loving care and keeping him close to the house he is looking the best and giving us some fruit....havent tasted any yet....but looking forward to it Wink

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0139

our sucker rooting doing very well in our SFG

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0136

our son may be able to eat these tomorrow tongue he is so excited these are called sweetie's and they are in [i]his[/i] self watering container with MM cheers

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0138

eating one or two a day now of these little fruits.....from saved seeds from last years volunteer ...my son said they are yummy!....the one that i tried tasted as though it wasnt ripe enough just yet....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0137

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/25/2012, 11:34 pm

GWN wow your tomato plants look great!!....look how tall the one in the bucket is Shocked

hugs
rose who is not tall enough to reach the batteries and not brave enough to climb up on top of hubbys work bench to get them Razz LOL GWN!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/26/2012, 10:18 am

Hmmm HOW TALL..... much taller than me, and I am 5 feet 2.. I think one of them is up to 8 feet because it is starting to grow across the top of the greenhouse (I am envisioning tomatoes hanging down over my head Smile )
I was ruthless this year, I had ended up in several cases with 2 plants growing together either in the same square, or the same bucket. In each case they were not doing as well as the ones that were one to a square or one to a bucket so I chopped them down... Sad
Janet who is a ruthless tomato plant logger
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/26/2012, 3:18 pm

GWN wrote:... who is a ruthless tomato plant logger

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 889526

There's a common joke on sitcoms where the mom, fed up with her kids, let's loose the line "I gave you life, and I can take it away". Obviously, not true with kids (which is why it's supposed to be funny), but it is true with the seedlings we grow! They are just plants. Glad to hear they are peforming better for you now you've logged the extra's out of the way.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/26/2012, 3:44 pm

peforming better for you now you've logged the extra's out of the way.
Its kind of more funny because i am little miss tree hugger.... PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 1280598131
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/26/2012, 10:17 pm

Judicious pruning is not destroying. Laughing

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/26/2012, 10:36 pm

True, walshevak, true, especially in North Carolina. However, here in the Pacific Northwest where weather is cool, often almost cold under all-too-often morning overcast conditions, combined with a relatively short season, I've found that allowing a few "suckers" to grow up and set flowers/fruit gives me a better yield of tomatoes for canning come end of September. Anyone else experience this, or am I dreaming? Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/26/2012, 10:52 pm

Even in NC I allowed a couple of suckers grow. Mostly because I just couldn't cut off those flowers at the time. Have no idea if they are doing well. Remember I said JUDICIOUS. That can mean more or less depending on the plant or in your case, the climate.
ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/26/2012, 10:58 pm

Yep, Kay, I agree. Sometimes benign neglect is good. Nonna, who paid attention to the weather prediction tonight and drew up the plastic sheet over the most tender plants. Blaaach, doesn't MomNature realize it's almost August, for love's sake?
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/26/2012, 11:05 pm

Yep, Kay, I agree. Sometimes benign neglect is good. Nonna, who paid attention to the weather prediction tonight and drew up the plastic sheet over the most tender plants. Blaaach, doesn't MomNature realize it's almost August, for love's sake?

This is my "first year of being ruthless", almost sounds like a movie title doesnt it? It is just because the tomatoes are in confined quarters..... so to speak....I thought I would devote this year to keeping them to one vine. I have been amazed at how darn sneaky them tomatoes are. I go out there with a vigilant eye searching for any suckers..... EVERY DAY...
Then all of a sudden there is this huge BRANCH that I Embarassed Have to chop off.
It is an experiment, and who knows I might just let it all hang out next year. affraid
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/26/2012, 11:14 pm

So, have you ever taken one of those huge suckers, rooted it, and had it give you a couple of tomatoes? Only had it succeed once, but made me wonder if it would be a viable idea for the greenhouse. Whadda 'ya think? Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/27/2012, 12:52 am

we rooted a sucker and its in our SFG and doing well....lots of flowers....hoping we will get some fruit too....we cant remember though which plant it came from :scratch: .....we just wanted to see if we could do it study ......now we have three more sitting in a glass of water in the house geek ......we were just talking about this last night wondering if we could root some more suckers to move into the green house when our summer is over..... :drunken:

what i was thinking is thinking ....these suckers are the same age as the mother plant we clip them from albino .....yet...they are not as tall 🐘 ....so my thinking is they would fit in our small green house sunny ....and maybe we might get a few more matters from them...... drooling

who knows what will happen blush ......but it sure is fun trying Razz

oh....almost forgot....our son had those two cherry tom's of his tonight.....his face lit up when he was chewing them up....he loved them!.....he is very excited to see he has lots more fruit coming too.....i dont know what happen.....we left for the day (he had an MRI)....... when we came home our plants had fruit on them that wasnt there the day before.....really strange......

hugs
rose...... who is worried about the weather.......it got really cold outside tonight What a Face brrrrr
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/27/2012, 1:00 am

Rose, Loved your post. Yup, those plants sit there looking all innocent, until you turn your back, then suddenly...there's fruit! How 'dey do dat? Being in the same less-than-sunny area as you, I pulled plastic up over the more-delicate melons, and the tomatoes I'm babying in hopes of enough fruit for canning at the end of August. After all, this IS Western Oregon, not Hermiston, right? Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/27/2012, 1:12 am

I have several of those LARGE SUCKERS in a large jar attempting to root them for fall growing.
They are still alive in the water, just waiting for roots.
Two of my prunings have been planted in an old concrete culvert, and are doing pretty well (not sure if the year is long enough for them to produce, but you never know what the fall will bring.....)
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/27/2012, 1:41 am

oh fun.....it will be fun to see what happens in the fall Very Happy

everytime i think about trying something new......i remember the words boffer said once or maybe a few times....i just remember i was new to the forum.....but i will always remember him saying.....*its only a few seeds*.....*what will you lose if it doesnt work out*?

....well....I can apply that saying to a lot of things in life....this time....in my head im telling my self....its just a few suckers....what is there to lose..... Razz

....our life has enough stress in it .....we are going to have fun in our family gardening!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/27/2012, 2:09 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:So, have you ever taken one of those huge suckers, rooted it, and had it give you a couple of tomatoes? Only had it succeed once, but made me wonder if it would be a viable idea for the greenhouse. Whadda 'ya think? Nonna

I have pulled a bunch of suckers off, filled an old 4" pot with compost and some dirt, and they have taken off! I've given the plants to friends who are telling me the plants are huge! I planted a TINY seedling I found growing in my gravel around my SFG. that TINY seedling is now about 10 feet x 10 feet loaded with baby tomatoes, blossoms and suckers! The neighbors are all laughing about how HUGE this plant is! It's crazy, and has taken over the whole planter! I say go for it!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/27/2012, 10:44 am

.its just a few suckers..
well actually PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 950477
it is about 12 suckers that have all rooted in a jar )HUGE jar, and no sign of an overcast day on the horizon.

I previously had all of my strawberry runners rooting in the jar, they all rooted, but they all died in the garden WAY too hot.

maybe I will use shade cloth.....for the maters
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/27/2012, 10:45 am

I have pulled a bunch of suckers off, filled an old 4" pot with compost and some dirt, and they have taken off! I've given the plants to friends who are telling me the plants are huge! I planted a TINY seedling I found growing in my gravel around my SFG. that TINY seedling is now about 10 feet x 10 feet loaded with baby tomatoes, blossoms and suckers! The neighbors are all laughing about how HUGE this plant is! It's crazy, and has taken over the whole planter! I say go for it!!
So is it a brandywine?....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/31/2012, 8:00 pm

we have red and blushing tom's cheers

dont know what this one is...i know its an heirloom but i for got to mark the last two that were planted.....but....it was really, really sweet, meaty and oh sooo good...we had to fight our 6 year old not to put the whole thing in his mouth when we were harvesting it.... Razz ..it wasnt true red just yet....so it sat for two days with many tiny finger marks and maybe a lick or two but in the end we split it three ways albino

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0151

it came off of this very sick plant ....but it keeps giving and giving.....we hope to pick these red guys soon as well!

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0153

our big brandywine....is turning red!...the only fruit on this over 6ft plant Shocked ...and the plant looks sick too.....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0154

our 5 super Italian paste are loaded with fruit cyclops we have harvest 2 so far and they are on the counter resting to turn darker

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0155

our six year old son's sweetie in his self watering container with MM....his plant has lots of fruit and a ton of flowers...he has not shared three of them so far tongue ...he keeps reminding me that this plant is HIS!

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0156

our sucker that rooted.....has fruit now too!.....in box #1 SFG

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0157

one of our other brandywines....plant is looking better then the other two we have.....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0158

heirloom rainbow

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0159

one of last years volunteer saved seeds plant

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0160

another sick plant....been trying to trim off the bad leaves in hopes we can keep it going to at least harvest the fruits.....

PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Dscf0161

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/31/2012, 11:32 pm

Well well ROSE, who is in to tomatoes big time..... congrats.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/1/2012, 1:36 am

GWN wrote:
So is it a brandywine?....
It's not a brandwine, it appears to be a cherry tomato. I'm really hoping it's a yellow cherry from last year. Those were the BEST tomatoes I've ever had tongue ! There are literally hundreds of them but they're all green....keeping me in suspense!! affraid
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 8/1/2012, 2:40 am

I finally have a picture of tomatoes growing in my SFG. Both tomatoes are growing on branches that sprouted where I'd had to trim off sick leaves. I let them grow since I had nothing but blossom drop all through June. I did cut a couple other branches off today though. The first sets of blossoms on them hadn't set fruit and now that I have a couple growing and it's so late in the season, I want the plant to focus on those two.
PNW: Tomato Tuesday 2012 - Page 3 Brandy13
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/1/2012, 3:12 am

GWN wrote:Well well ROSE, who is in to tomatoes big time..... congrats.

i really hope the weather allows them to ripen......last year we had a lot of green tomato fruit.....

i dont care for fried green tomato.... Shocked

we tried to ripen them inside and it didnt really turn out so well.....we were able to get a few....the rest rotted.... Sad

this time were going to try and hang them on the vines upside down inside the house or maybe in the green house and see if that works to get green ones to ripen..... What a Face

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/1/2012, 3:17 am

gwen.....sorry to hear about your bloosoms falling off Sad

the two in the pic look really good.....what kind are they...their really pretty Very Happy

a lot of our fruits are kinda ulgy forming...not sure if thats an heirloom thing or just the type we planted.....all i know is our brandywine is really ugly but we cant wait to see how it taste Very Happy

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next