Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Broccoli growing too fast? Toplef10Broccoli growing too fast? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Broccoli growing too fast? I22gcj10Broccoli growing too fast? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Broccoli growing too fast? Toplef10Broccoli growing too fast? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Broccoli growing too fast? I22gcj10Broccoli growing too fast? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Broccoli growing too fast?

+15
llama momma
Maureen
plantoid
littlesapphire
quiltbea
Hoggar
Goosegirl
Squat_Johnson
BackRiver_SFG
CindiLou
landarch
walshevak
FamilyGardening
gwennifer
Warbler
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Broccoli growing too fast? Empty Broccoli growing too fast?

Post  Warbler 5/18/2012, 12:40 am

I planted this from a purchased transplant - and it has really shot up. It doesn't look right to me. I planted four and this is the worst - there is another similar, and then two seem a little more normal - though being a newbie I really have no idea!! Laughing

Is it fixable? Can I cut it back? To where?
Broccoli growing too fast? Spindl10
Warbler
Warbler

Location : Pacific Northwest -rainy side of the mountains, about 700 ft elevation

Back to top Go down

Broccoli growing too fast? Empty Re: Broccoli growing too fast?

Post  gwennifer 5/18/2012, 2:09 am

Aww shucks Eldena, your broccoli has bolted. Sad If you're unfamiliar with that term, bolting is when a plant (usually herbs or vegetables) decides it's time to reproduce because it's life cycle is almost over. This will typically be triggered by the weather. The plant will then shift all of it's energy into producing flowers and seeds instead of foliage. It happens rapidly.

You can see your broccoli sent up a flower stalk. All those little green buds, if left on the plant, open up into little yellow flowers and then go to seed. You can cut off all the little bits and eat them if you want. I've read that a broccoli isn't "save-able" once it's bolted but I don't have personal experience with trying. Has it been as hot in Auburn as it has been here (upper eighties?). Broccoli is a cool weather crop that prefers soil temperatures of 65-75 degrees.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/18/2012, 3:02 am

rats!!....sorry to see your broc is bolting.....Sad

we are afraid are broc's are going to bolt too!!....its the weather.....its hot for us this time of year and its really throwing us for a loop!!

our bok choy that we direct planted into the SFG by seed went straight to bolting with flowering.....the ones that were transplants and put out into the garden earlier gave us a bunch to eat and they are now bolting too!.....its to hot for our cold weather loving plants.....What a Face

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/18/2012, 8:01 am

Yep, my bok choy is starting to bolt now. I'm going out today and cutting it all. I'll save one or two in the refridgerator for the next few days and freeze the rest. Bummer. Should have started harvesting earlier because I knew the hot weather would play havoc. My purple mustard is sending up flower stalks too. And of course the florets on broccoli is just the early form of the flowers and you have to get them quick before they loosen up and start to open.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 5/18/2012, 8:46 am

I am seeing several garden centers still selling veggies that are way too late to plant.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/18/2012, 8:52 am

They don't care if they find someone who doesn't know about when to plant..They just want their money. All they can write off is the actual cost of the plant to them so if someone wants to buy it for more, that is great to them.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Broccoli growing too fast? Empty Thanks all

Post  Warbler 5/18/2012, 10:35 am

Well fiddlesticks! I had a hunch that was the case. Yes it has been unusually warm here -we're half way between Portland and Seattle. I hope the other two I mentioned that look a little more normal can recover. We are back to cooler weather now...

Warbler
Warbler

Location : Pacific Northwest -rainy side of the mountains, about 700 ft elevation

Back to top Go down

Broccoli growing too fast? Empty already bolting

Post  BackRiver_SFG 5/18/2012, 10:36 am

Reading through the thread, I too am realizing that several of my spinach, and arugula plants are bolting. I barely ate from them. cherry

There are still others that are growing well and producing nice leaves. I will keep harvesting from those as long as I can and will re-use those soon to be available squares real soon!

Good luck out there and enjoy the season!
BackRiver_SFG
BackRiver_SFG

Male Posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 5/18/2012, 11:44 am

I too am having no luck with the Broccoli. It was like this last year, but not to this extent. My biggest head was one bite.

I found transplants in August last year. They did very well. I have had better luck in the fall, and hope to again.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/18/2012, 1:39 pm

I am not even trying broccoli until fall. Our springs are too short, and since we have already hit the 90's I am putting in more beans and taters for now and setting out broccoli in July/Aug.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/18/2012, 1:56 pm

I just checked my chart and noted that I planted my broccoli starts on Mar 14. Estimated frost date for here is Mar 30 to first week in April but this year was strange. They were put into one of the new beds that I'm sure was high in nitrogen because I got enormous plants and got worried that no heads were forming. The weather was getting brutal temps in the 80s for weeks. Around the end of April I added a 1/2 dose of a bloom Booster and within 2 weeks the heads were forming. But the heat still took its toll. Had to harvest all 6 within a week just last week. I have a few side shoot coming on and we got some needed rain and cooler weather for a few days so I have hopes for a dinner or two.

Next year I'm going to put them out in early March, even if the weather is cooler and I have to put some protection over them at first.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 5/18/2012, 3:06 pm

Cut the stock back to just above the leaves. then nip off all
of the buds by the leaves except one. Last year My broccoli
lasted through the summer and we got several good heads
off of it.

This is my broccoli from August of last summer.

Broccoli growing too fast? SFG-08-13-11-4
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/18/2012, 3:57 pm

Sudden heat in the spring can play havoc with cool-weather crops. That's why in my area, 5a, many farmers don't plant the brassicas until summer when they can start seeds directly in warm soil, then they grow up in the coolness of fall coming and there's also less insect worries.

Me, I like to try anyway. Even when we had the 90 plus days of last year, I managed to get a few of my cool crops to harvest size and it was worth it even if I lost most of them to bolting.

This year I was amazed that a couple of my Pak Choi (Bok Choy) seedlings almost immediately went to seed while still indoors under the lights while others were fine. Strange.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/18/2012, 4:07 pm

That is strange, Bea! I've never heard of that before... I've also never heard of starting brassica directly in the ground. I should figure out when I would need to do that in my area, just to see if it's worth giving up those squares a little longer.

Hoggar, very cool summer broccoli! I've never heard of broccoli lasting all summer. I should give that a shot with mine this year.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/18/2012, 4:24 pm

Last year we started seed directly in the ground in our community garden Sharecroppers rows for the Food Pantry for many fall crops like broccoli and cabbage, around the week of 6/10 and cauliflower around 6/20, turnip 7/16 and Kale, leaf lettuce and spinach around 7/30 and finally radishes around the end of Aug.

Broccoli growing too fast? 09-09-13

Above: Broccoli and squash rows on Sept 9th last year. So you see, in our 5a area we can grow them in the fall. When your radishes, early letuce and spring spinach are done, add a couple trowels of compost and plant seeds of broccoli and cabbage, then cauliflower a week later. How about your garlic? You could use those squares for cool crops, too.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/18/2012, 9:15 pm

The thing with broccoli is that variouis seedsmen & nurseries call broccoli by different names ..it gets confusing . Some of the plants that were thought to be broccoli are infact sprouting broccoli ...green sprouting or purple sprouting and it will never make a nice compact greenhead in a month of Sundays .
Calabrese then comes ito the equation.Laughing

I 've kept our plants producing since September last year , they have been given a couple of doses of a combined mix of "fish , blood & bone meal " , carefully applied down at the roots , scratched and watered in . ( Taking great care not to get any in the crook of the stalks and leaves as it will rot and injure the plants ).

Even if we are not going to eat any of our sprouting broccoli when they are pristine ready they get scissored off and put into the compost heap or stood in a jug of ice cold water and set in the refridgerator .. They'll keep well for three days if you change the water each day and rinse the stems off under a tap at each water change ..

We also eat a few of the bigger leaves as a sort of cabbage /green as these don't often end up on the compost heap for there is usually plenty of time to plan when to use them.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/18/2012, 9:49 pm

Plantoid, I'm so confused now. I've never heard of sprouting broccoli, nor calabrese. I just thought broccoli was broccoli cyclops

Well, actually I'm lying, because the variety of broccoli I'm growing is an heirloom called "green sprouting calabrese", but I just assumed that was a fancy name they gave it, lol.

Bea, I like your suggestions! I was actually wondering what I was going to put in my radish, lettuce, and garlic squares come June. I'll certainly consider direct sowing some fall brassica.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Broccoli growing too fast? Empty bolting broccoli

Post  Maureen 6/19/2012, 12:10 pm

Thank you for this information about bolting broccoli. As I am new to growing broccoli, once the plant has bolted is it best to take out the plant?
Maureen
Maureen

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/19/2012, 12:13 pm

I grew broccoli last spring and found it better suited for the fall garden in our area...there is a good chance it gets too hot before the heads fully form and they take up a lot of room.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/19/2012, 1:26 pm

Maureen, yes when it has bolted the plant is done. Pull that baby and plant something else.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/19/2012, 1:32 pm

Maureen, your first post and I missed it before,
glad you\'re here
to the forum!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/19/2012, 10:10 pm

Maureen wrote:Thank you for this information about bolting broccoli. As I am new to growing broccoli, once the plant has bolted is it best to take out the plant?

With broccoli you want them to bolt, bolting means going to flower which first requires flower buds which is what a broccoli head is. Sooooo~

You live on a high plateau.... what zone? how cool are the summers? If your summers are on the cooler end of the spectrum just trim back the flowering stem and give it a side dressing of compost. It will then go on to making side shoots with smaller heads. Eat the stems of those sprouts all the way down to where it gets tough! (think of them as similar to asparagus shoots).

I live in zone 4 in Montana. Broccolli produces all summer for me into the fall. I just picked my first head, it was small, I think from a Calabrese, and there are many sprouts already starting. Every summer the plants get ahead of me at some point and flowers open and I trim them back and more sprouts come. The sprouts will get smaller over time, like asparagus sprouts do. At some point I do a really drastic pruning and feeding and then ignore it. Then it will take some time and regroup and make some bigger heads for fall.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/20/2012, 5:57 am

It probably depends on where you live in regards to keeping broccoli going. In my zone 6a, if it bolts the plant is done unless you want to fool with getting a couple of side shoots which for me wasn't worth the effort.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Broccoli growing too fast? Empty Thank you.

Post  Maureen 6/21/2012, 8:32 pm

We are in north central Washington, Okanogan Valley, zone 2. Summers can be very hot, 100 degrees + in August.
Maureen
Maureen

Back to top Go down

Broccoli growing too fast? Empty broccoli flowers

Post  Maureen 6/23/2012, 11:57 am

Thank you for the advice about broccoli bolting. Another question is: when broccoli flowers is it edible?
Maureen
Maureen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next