Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash Toplef10New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash I22gcj10New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash Toplef10New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash I22gcj10New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash

+7
kittykat
camprn
floyd1440
tomperrin
acara
TejasTerry
mrwes40
11 posters

Go down

New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash Empty New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash

Post  mrwes40 5/12/2012, 6:44 pm

Finished making my trellises!

New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash Trelli10
mrwes40
mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash Empty Re: New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash

Post  TejasTerry 5/12/2012, 7:02 pm

mrwes40 wrote:Finished making my trellises!

Nice !
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160

Back to top Go down

New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash Empty Re: New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash

Post  acara 5/12/2012, 8:51 pm

I so love string trellis ... just wish I had the room.

Those are very nice setups you've got there
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash Empty SFG

Post  tomperrin 5/12/2012, 9:04 pm

mrwes40 wrote:

I see lotsa room for expansion here. I'm guessing there's room for another hundred squares. Smile

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 5/12/2012, 9:25 pm

I cannot tell you how nice your boxes look and envy you level space is!!!!

Now I am going with 7x7 trellises in my boxes and see how they work out but like you setup. Keep me posted as the season progresses

New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/12/2012, 9:31 pm

MrWes, Lookin'Fine! cheers

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 5/12/2012, 9:57 pm

It all looks so neat and tidy! And all that lawn and beautiful space! Can't wait to see stuff growing up those trellises!
New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash 3170584802
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 5/12/2012, 10:26 pm

Your trellises are really cool. Can't wait to see how they look as they start to fill up throughout the season. I set up one according to the book's direction today.

I LOVE your wood border with the mulch inside. This is a serious EUREKA! moment for me, since I've expanded from my original raised bed and am trying to figure out how to keep the grass between the boxes manageable but still keep everything fenced from deer.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 5/13/2012, 5:52 am

JustMe wrote:Your trellises are really cool. Can't wait to see how they look as they start to fill up throughout the season. I set up one according to the book's direction today.

I LOVE your wood border with the mulch inside. This is a serious EUREKA! moment for me, since I've expanded from my original raised bed and am trying to figure out how to keep the grass between the boxes manageable but still keep everything fenced from deer.

Thank all for the nice comments. True, I have plenty of room for more boxes! -- less to mow too, right? Smile

This was originally a 10' x 20' traditional row garden when we brought the house 1.5 years ago. This year I transformed it into the 6 SFG boxes you see now, and added the mulch. Needless to say, I don't have any weeds in between the boxes; one of the biggest turn offs to gardening, IMHO. The garden twine string trellises are staked to the ground with yellow 12" tent pegs at purchased at Wal-Mart's and tied at the top. I know the twine will rot at the ground line, but it should get me through a growing season. Oh, BTW, they are 5 footers. In the back I also made two 6 footers that have a green nylon garden trellis tied in. Those are for the cukes and squash.

Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/15/2012, 4:57 pm

Your garden looks great, Mr Wes! Love the trellises. Please keep posting pictures!

I just had to say something else. When I was reading your post, my computer geek husband walked by, pointed at your avatar, and said, "Hey, that's the logo for Linux Mint" and proceeded to steal my forum to show me the Linux Mint website, lol. I just thought you'd enjoy knowing someone recognized your avatar Very Happy
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 5/15/2012, 5:04 pm

littlesapphire wrote:Your garden looks great, Mr Wes! Love the trellises. Please keep posting pictures!

I just had to say something else. When I was reading your post, my computer geek husband walked by, pointed at your avatar, and said, "Hey, that's the logo for Linux Mint" and proceeded to steal my forum to show me the Linux Mint website, lol. I just thought you'd enjoy knowing someone recognized your avatar Very Happy

Thank you for the kind comments, and I will post pictures as things progress. I just put my tomatoes and peppers in the garden.

I've been a Linux 'geek' off and on for over 20 years. I have a headless Ubuntu server in the house, mainly for media purposes; music, pictures, video, etc. My personal laptops have always run some sort of flavor of Linux. Tip of the hat for your hubby noticing -- very cool!

Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Back to top Go down

Post  michellentn 5/15/2012, 5:12 pm

Nice job! looks wonderful! will definitely rearrange my garden to SFG plan and also I prefer my width to be 3' instead of 4' more like meter square gardening.

show us your progress as it grows and fills the area up. Very Happy

Michelle
michellentn
michellentn

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 5/15/2012, 5:22 pm

i'm curious as to how you anchored the string into the middle of the squares. would you willing give a description or to post a closer view?
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 5/15/2012, 5:35 pm

rowena___. wrote:i'm curious as to how you anchored the string into the middle of the squares. would you willing give a description or to post a closer view?

Rowena (from Mr. Holland's Opus I assume),

I purchased several packs of yellow, 12" tent stakes from Wal-Mart . I then made a small slipknot in one end of the garden twine and placed that over the top and hook of the stake. I then did a couple of half-hitches to secure it. I then drove the stake into the ground, and attached the other end to the top of the trellis -- tightly. If you look closely, I actually have one conduit trellis for two rows of squares. It was a last minute idea once I was out in the garden. Conduit is pretty cheap, normally less that $2.00 for each 10' piece, however, the conduit cutter/scoring device can run over $30; I told the wife "I didn't have one of those in my tool collection anyways".

Hope that helps. If you need pictures, I can probably post some this weekend. Pouring rain in CT right now.

Take care,
Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 5/15/2012, 6:27 pm

mrwes40 wrote:
rowena___. wrote:i'm curious as to how you anchored the string into the middle of the squares. would you willing give a description or to post a closer view?

nope, it is my given name, it is rather common in the philippines where my family is from.

I purchased several packs of yellow, 12" tent stakes from Wal-Mart . I then made a small slipknot in one end of the garden twine and placed that over the top and hook of the stake. I then did a couple of half-hitches to secure it. I then drove the stake into the ground, and attached the other end to the top of the trellis -- tightly. If you look closely, I actually have one conduit trellis for two rows of squares. It was a last minute idea once I was out in the garden.

thank you, bill, that is very clear to understand! i too had conduit trellises, but at the back of the beds, not the middle. i removed them this year so as to make use of them elsewhere. i am putting in a public gleaning garden tomorrow and i had not yet sorted out how i wanted to do the trellises. your method will work nicely, i'm filing it in my mental bank for next month when i put the trellises on.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 5/15/2012, 7:11 pm

rowena___. wrote:
mrwes40 wrote:

nope, it is my given name, it is rather common in the philippines where my family is from.

I purchased several packs of yellow, 12" tent stakes from Wal-Mart . I then made a small slipknot in one end of the garden twine and placed that over the top and hook of the stake. I then did a couple of half-hitches to secure it. I then drove the stake into the ground, and attached the other end to the top of the trellis -- tightly. If you look closely, I actually have one conduit trellis for two rows of squares. It was a last minute idea once I was out in the garden.

thank you, bill, that is very clear to understand! i too had conduit trellises, but at the back of the beds, not the middle. i removed them this year so as to make use of them elsewhere. i am putting in a public gleaning garden tomorrow and i had not yet sorted out how i wanted to do the trellises. your method will work nicely, i'm filing it in my mental bank for next month when i put the trellises on.

Bad planning on my part for the tomatoes, but the garden gets ample southern exposure so I don't think it'll be an issue. Philippines aye? Ate more than my share of pancit, lumpia, and siopao. Great cuisine Smile

Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Back to top Go down

New Trellises for Tomatoes, Cukes, and Squash Empty Update

Post  mrwes40 5/30/2012, 4:19 pm

As I thought, the garden twine I used has already begun to rot and break where it's tied to the stakes in the ground. I had a roll handing around so I figured I'd use it. Plan on replacing the twine with nylon garden twine.

Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down