Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Some new photo's... Toplef10Some new photo's... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Some new photo's... I22gcj10Some new photo's... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Some new photo's... Toplef10Some new photo's... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Some new photo's... I22gcj10Some new photo's... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Some new photo's...

+17
Rob C
Triciasgarden
Kelejan
GWN
michellentn
RoOsTeR
SwampCatNana
RUTBUSTER
Nonna.PapaVino
littlesapphire
carybcom
camprn
givvmistamps
Pepper
brenda g
elysia
philct
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Some new photo's... Empty Some new photo's...

Post  philct 5/9/2012, 2:51 pm

So I'm gearing up to plant this week... My early spring planting was a disaster. My lettuce lived, but 8 of my 9 broccoli plants died and only 3 pea plants out of 36 and 3 carrots out of 64... and my onions, zero out of 36... Anyway here are some photos...

[img]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/Some new photo's... 00710[/img]Potatoes doing well!!!

[img]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/Some new photo's... 00417[/img]I took off the grid for now, It'll be back when I plant

[img]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/Some new photo's... 00512[/img] Close-up of potatoes.. Someone freaked me out with the wood barrel, anyone know if its truly safe to grow in or not?
philct
philct

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Some new photo's... Empty Re: Some new photo's...

Post  elysia 5/9/2012, 3:07 pm

Thanks for posting the pics! I appreciated the run down of your spring planting - I had a similar experience - zero onions (2 plantings) zero broccoli (planted at least 5 - they sprouted great and did o.k. but I eventually killed them) my peppers have done really really well but I tried to kill some of those off too by leaving them out in my unheated garage overnight...*doh*:drunken:

re: your barrels - depending upon how much this issue matters to you, I think as long as your barrels are not treated with something like creosote you'll be fine...I'm sure someone will pipe up with some solid/opinionated info regarding possible toxicity...
elysia
elysia

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  brenda g 5/9/2012, 4:00 pm

Great pics, philct! Very Happy

elysia wrote:
re: your barrels - depending upon how much this issue matters to you, I think as long as your barrels are not treated with something like creosote you'll be fine...I'm sure someone will pipe up with some solid/opinionated info regarding possible toxicity...

Yipes! I have two whiskey barrells I was going to use for my potatoes, but I'm guessing there's some creosote as there are burn marks. Is this really bad to grow in??
brenda g
brenda g

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Some new photo's... Empty Some new photo's...

Post  Pepper 5/9/2012, 4:27 pm

I can not be sure but WHY would they make a whiskey barrel from creosoted wood? After all they left the whiskey in there to age. Do ya really think they would compromise good whisky? The burn marks are where they burned the barel to 'season' it before filling. This step imparts color and flavor , memory serving. I have been concerned about my "tater tire"(https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11554-tater-tires ) experiment this year and the plants looking "sick" all of a sudden. I have been assured they are doing as normal for the time in the ground. FamilyGardening (fellow forum member) sent me this link to a last years experiment with potatoes ( thread is long as a year long thread will be). https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7438-potatoes . In here several planting methods were explored including barrels.

Good luck with your project Some new photo's... 3170584802
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/9/2012, 7:06 pm

Yes, the burn marks are most likely from the process referred to as "toasting" the barrels.

I'm not certain of the safety of growing things to eat in tires...I know that tires basically do not decompose, but that doesn't mean they won't release toxic chemicals into the soil. I DO know that the tires are likely to get very hot in the sun, so I'm not inclined to grow anything in them because I feel like anything I tried to grow would have cooked roots in no time flat down here in the Deep South.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  philct 5/9/2012, 7:21 pm

Pepper wrote:I can not be sure but WHY would they make a whiskey barrel from creosoted wood? After all they left the whiskey in there to age. Do ya really think they would compromise good whisky? The burn marks are where they burned the barel to 'season' it before filling. This step imparts color and flavor , memory serving. I have been concerned about my "tater tire"(https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11554-tater-tires ) experiment this year and the plants looking "sick" all of a sudden. I have been assured they are doing as normal for the time in the ground. FamilyGardening (fellow forum member) sent me this link to a last years experiment with potatoes ( thread is long as a year long thread will be). https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7438-potatoes . In here several planting methods were explored including barrels.

Good luck with your project Some new photo's... 3170584802

This was my thought on this... If whiskey was distilled in there, how unsafe can it be?? mmm whiskey...

Anyway I'm leaving mine in the bucket, and I have 2 blueberry plants in buckets too. Hopefully no one comes on and tells me I'm going to posion my family!!
philct
philct

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/9/2012, 7:34 pm

If it's a whisky barrel 'tis fine for growing. Don't forget to give an angel's share when you plant. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Some new photo's... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  brenda g 5/10/2012, 8:38 am

camprn wrote:If it's a whisky barrel 'tis fine for growing. Don't forget to give an angel's share when you plant. Wink

Some new photo's... 43549 That's what I was hoping to hear, too! Thanks a bunch!!
brenda g
brenda g

Back to top Go down

Post  carybcom 5/10/2012, 9:03 am

I'm actually using a whiskey barrel to grow jalapeno and cheyenne peppers. Several days after a good rain I noticed gnats were crawling through and hovering above the soil. I assumed they were fungus gnats.

Admittedly, in my attempt to impress my wife with the new planter I had failed to drill drain holes in the bottom of the barrel. Needless to say after a matter of minutes the barrel sported a new set of drain holes. To ensure proper drainage I also drilled holes just above the bottom most metal band. Finally I placed four bricks underneath to ensure proper drainage.

I'll be following your updates to see how the potatoes do. I may just buy another one for next year.
carybcom
carybcom

Male Posts : 31

http://www.caryb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/10/2012, 10:00 am

Keep us updated on how your potatoes are growing! I would love to hear if the whiskey barrels are ok to use. I thought about using some this year too, but ended up with plastic whiskey barrel planters instead, lol. Probably the wooden ones are better for my plants!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  philct 5/10/2012, 9:42 pm

I will continue to post throughout the season for sure. Good to hear the barrels are safe, I would love to get a few more next year...

Today I re-planted pea, onion set, and carrot seeds... Fingers crossed...

Also replanted all my strawberry plants as none came up...We'll see...

Bush and pole bean seeds in the ground, and tomato and pepper hardening up with 8 hours outside and inside overnight... Almost there!!!
philct
philct

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/11/2012, 9:35 am

Re the barrels: are they even whiskey barrels? Our granddaughter lives in Maryland and has been telling us of the thriving wine industry thereabouts, Connecticut even. No one sensible is going to add creosote to a $400-plus barrel (what new French oak barrels cost). Besides, the FDA would be all over them quicker than fruitflies on a ripe peach! BTW, one of the wineries here in Oregon is even making the most elegant, and expensive, tumbling composter from used wine barrels.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  brenda g 5/11/2012, 11:24 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Re the barrels: are they even whiskey barrels? Our granddaughter lives in Maryland and has been telling us of the thriving wine industry thereabouts, Connecticut even. No one sensible is going to add creosote to a $400-plus barrel (what new French oak barrels cost). Besides, the FDA would be all over them quicker than fruitflies on a ripe peach! BTW, one of the wineries here in Oregon is even making the most elegant, and expensive, tumbling composter from used wine barrels.

I think I was concerned because my barrels had burn marks inside and was not sure if this was creosote related... I guess this is typical? They are most certainly whiskey barrels, Jack Daniels to be exact and when we drilled drainage holes we practically got tipsy from the jack fumes! :drunken: From what I've read here, it sounds like my plants should be safe...right?
brenda g
brenda g

Back to top Go down

Post  philct 5/11/2012, 1:27 pm

brenda g wrote:
Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Re the barrels: are they even whiskey barrels? Our granddaughter lives in Maryland and has been telling us of the thriving wine industry thereabouts, Connecticut even. No one sensible is going to add creosote to a $400-plus barrel (what new French oak barrels cost). Besides, the FDA would be all over them quicker than fruitflies on a ripe peach! BTW, one of the wineries here in Oregon is even making the most elegant, and expensive, tumbling composter from used wine barrels.

I think I was concerned because my barrels had burn marks inside and was not sure if this was creosote related... I guess this is typical? They are most certainly whiskey barrels, Jack Daniels to be exact and when we drilled drainage holes we practically got tipsy from the jack fumes! :drunken: From what I've read here, it sounds like my plants should be safe...right?

Mine were charred as well... I'll tell you, I can't imagine Home Depot selling barrels in their outdoor greenhouse section, that is unsafe for vege's without them being labeled as such. I think we're all ok.
philct
philct

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/11/2012, 2:40 pm

Years ago, we visited the Jack Daniels distillery. Fascinating. Their high-end whiskey, Gentleman Jack, is poured through charcoal twice. The char inside the barrels is: charcoal. What do they give folks with some types of poisoning? Charcoal. I cannot for the life of me believe the char on a whiskey or wine barrel is a problem. Nice smell, though, what? Nonna, who has been known to sip a bit of Gentleman Jack.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  RUTBUSTER 5/11/2012, 2:56 pm

They will be safe, but they might be a little tipsy as well.
RUTBUSTER
RUTBUSTER

Male Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  philct 5/12/2012, 2:55 pm

[img]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/Some new photo's... 00711[/img]Strawberries with straw mulch... Any tips, did I put too much on? There are 10 actual plants, and the rest are dormant roots that are breaking.

[img]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/Some new photo's... 01011[/img]Just about every box planted...

[img]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/Some new photo's... 00811[/img]Lettuce almost done, we've been picking every day for 3 weeks and can't keep up with the growth...
philct
philct

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 5/12/2012, 4:15 pm

Phil - in that last photo, is that a soaker hose? How long do you leave it one, and how often?
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  philct 5/12/2012, 4:35 pm

SwampCatNana wrote:Phil - in that last photo, is that a soaker hose? How long do you leave it one, and how often?
Lee

It is, but I just took it out for now. The timer is broken and it was in the way of my planting. But, when I get a new timer, I'll do 30 minutes every other day to start and see how it works.
philct
philct

Back to top Go down

Post  philct 5/16/2012, 8:30 pm

[img]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/Some new photo's... 01013[/img]Tomato trellises are built and in place!!!

[img]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/Some new photo's... 00812[/img]I've also decided to let the grass grow in around my box... I think it looks neater in the end.
philct
philct

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/16/2012, 9:16 pm

Nice setup, PhilCT. Congratulations!
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/17/2012, 6:40 am

Hi Phil, it's looking really good! What a great start! I am envious of the flagstone path. I too have grass between my beds. Large enough to get the mower into and I use an edger around the boxes to keep it neat. Sometimes the weedwacker comes in handy too.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Some new photo's... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/17/2012, 7:44 am

Looks great philct Very Happy

Just an fyi, if you use the forum to upload and share your photo's, there is no need to wrap in img tags.

Example:
Here is a photo you posted with tags:

[img]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/Some new photo's... 01013[/img]

Leave the tags out and your post will be much cleaner and look like this:

Some new photo's... 01013

Very Happy

Some new photo's... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  michellentn 5/17/2012, 4:31 pm

nice photos Phil,

what lettuce was that you all have been picking on? I am growing romaine and bibb but they are still very small.
michellentn
michellentn

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  philct 5/21/2012, 9:47 pm

My lettuce mix is mesculin, buttercrunch, and romaine... It's coming to the end and I suspect it's going to bolt soon, but we're still getting 2-3 salads a day from 6 plants... Amazing...

Some new pictures, with hopefully leaving out the IMG tag..

Some new photo's... Untitl11From left to right, Peas and pole beans, Eggplant, cherry peppers, and tomatoes, Broccoli, banana peppers, marigolds and tomatoes, sweet bell peppers jalapeno peppers, and cucumbers, and lettuce.. The part you can't see is: bush beans, basil, celantro, and spinach, bush beans, carrots, and tomatoes, and marigolds, onions and tomatoes..

Some new photo's... Untitl12

Carrots are in. 32 in all and they all sprouted... I may plant another 2 boxes still as we LOVE carrots

Some new photo's... 3323_b10

I'm experimenting with trellis along the north 4 foot end and along the western border as the sun doesnt hit the box until overhead at around 1130-1200pm... no early morning sun... We'll see how it works out for everything getting enough light.
philct
philct

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next