Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix at Lowes Toplef10Mel's Mix at Lowes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix at Lowes I22gcj10Mel's Mix at Lowes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix at Lowes Toplef10Mel's Mix at Lowes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix at Lowes I22gcj10Mel's Mix at Lowes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mel's Mix at Lowes

+31
AZDYJ2K
littlejo
Uprooted
walshevak
capatl
jazzymaddy
Reelbizzy
Furbalsmom
oxmyx1
Chopper
railroad
Lostmommyof4
DirtHappy
ChristyMC
AZWoodWorker
Maya Papaya
donnainzone5
auntiemommy
vinny09
californiaallie
Teresa
bjwinterton
boffer
ladyevidence
LaFee
Wyldflower
rds1955
martha
junequilt
camprn
mckr3441
35 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mel's Mix at Lowes Empty Mel's Mix at Lowes

Post  mckr3441 4/8/2010, 4:58 pm

There is a topic here titled "Suitable location for teaching." Buried in that thread is the best news I have heard yet!

Lowes will be carrying Mel's Mix. The bad news is that not every Lowes will have it. Go online to www.lowes.com and search for "squarefootgardeningsoil". Then put in your ZIP code and they will tell you if it is available near you.

My local Lowes does not carry it. I talked to Customer Service at Lowes headquarters. Someone from the local Lowes called me back. I peaded. He explained that the buyers often make deals with suppliers -- he gave me Miracle Grow as an example -- that a district will carry only their stuff. I pleaded some more. I explained the growing search for this product.

He is going to talk to the buyer and search surrounding states to see if any other district has it.

Let's get a campaign going... Here's Lowes Customer Service Number: 1-800-445-6937

Here's the item number: #308781

Let's let them know where the market is.

Addendum: just got another call back from Marty at Lowes. BooHoo. The closest store that carries it is in TEXAS!!!! Good news for Texans. Pass the word.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix at Lowes Empty Re: Mel's Mix at Lowes

Post  camprn 4/8/2010, 5:54 pm

Good news! Keep campaigning vigorously, hopefully it will eventually pay off!
How many cu.ft. per bag/bale is Mel's Mix? Also, any idea of the retail price @ a place like Lowe's?
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix at Lowes Empty Mel'x Mix at Lowes

Post  junequilt 4/8/2010, 6:50 pm

I just called customer service and found out -- of course -- that Mel's Mix is not available anywhere in SC. The rep thought he might be able to set up a special order, though. I'm supposed to be contacted by the local store manager sometime over the next 24 hours and will post about what happens.

Obviously, if they want to charge an outlandish amount for shipping, I'm not going to be interested -- but I'd love to see Mel's Mix in there competing for attention with all that Miracle Gro! Mel's Mix at Lowes Icon_cool
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/8/2010, 6:51 pm

nope, not near me... Mel's Mix at Lowes Icon_sad
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix at Lowes Empty Mel's Mix at Lowes...Nope, not near me either

Post  rds1955 4/8/2010, 7:26 pm

It's listed as Item # 308781, Model GT11670...Not near any of the Lowes stores near me either...I couldn't find it doing a search using the term you used mckr3441.. So I did a search just using the term "Squarefoot"..

Mel's Mix at Lowes Clip_311
rds1955
rds1955

Male Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/8/2010, 7:33 pm

Not near me, yet, either. If anyone DOES find it available, please post the price...

I'm calling my Lowe's and asking them to get it in. I'll special order, if shipping cost isn't an issue.

Oh... and for those who have a problem with math... you would need four of these two-cubic foot packages to fill one 4'x4'x6" box...
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 4/9/2010, 2:12 am

In another life, I worked for a major supplier to Lowe's.

You SHOULD be able to get it through their special order department. It may take a long time, though, as they work transfers from stores who stock it to stores who don't stock it...which means it's hauled backward through the system, which is as traumatic as it sounds.

If the store manager doesn't give you an answer, talk to the special order desk. Give them the item number and description (the screen grab would be excellent if printed off and given to them!) -- then see what they say.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyevidence 4/9/2010, 2:53 am

$12.97for 2 cu ft Smile
However, mine is "temporarily out of stock". That means it "usually" has it, but not right now. I checked my 5 closest stores. I bet it had some, but all you SFG'ers took it so fast that they need to restock now...
(Yep, I'm new to this, btw!!)
ladyevidence

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/9/2010, 3:03 am

Greetings Ladyevidence, wherever you are this late at night on the west coast of the US, welcome to the forum. glad you\'re here

I encourage you to contribute to this thread while you're here; I'm sure there will be some curious folks!!!!

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/outside-the-box-f40/what-s-in-a-name-t973.htm
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix at Lowes Empty Mel's Mix

Post  bjwinterton 4/9/2010, 8:39 am

I have checked my Lowe's here in Panama City FL, and of course, they don't carry it. I will make several calls to corporate to request they stock it.
bjwinterton

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/9/2010, 10:48 am

Mel's Mix at Lowes 657780 Way to go, everyone! Lets keep this thread alive and get the garden gold into our local stores. I could sure use about 12 bags of it right this very minute!

Keep calling your local stores. See LeFee's post above about talking to the special order department.

Also call customer service at hdqtrs. Here's Lowes Customer Service Number: 1-800-445-6937

Here's the item number: #308781.

I'm going to take a screen print as LeFee suggested to Lowes and all the local stores and Home Depot/WalMart and will check special orders at Lowes, too.

I always read about the power of the internet. This is the first time I've ever been involved with using it to get something really big accomplished. Well, aside from my SFG itself Mel's Mix at Lowes Icon_smile .

Thanks LeFee for your input. You know we're going to do that! And thanks rds1955 for the screen print.

Rock On!
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Teresa 4/9/2010, 10:58 am

When I looked at Lowe's online it said that Garden Time (Mel's mix) was temporarily unavailable at my nearest store, and I saw the same thing on several other stores in my area. I called the garden center at Lowe's and was told that meant it was on order but would be here within 2 weeks, although he seemed unsure about that. I am very late getting my garden in here in SoCal so I can't wait 2 weeks. I called Customer Support to see if they could tell me if there is a store even remotely near me that carries it. She couldn't say but said she'd have a senior manager from my nearest Lowe's call me with information. I got a call yesterday afternoon and she said they are expecting 300
bags today! Yeah! Perhaps that's true for all the other SoCal stores that said the mix was temporarily unavailable. Mel's Mix at Lowes Icon_sunny
Teresa

Female Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 4/9/2010, 11:07 am

Patience, too, folks -- remember that Lowe's has 1,700 stores in the US, Canada, and Mexico, and the logistics of supplying even just one pallet to each store is *enormous*.

It takes a long time for a new vendor to get through the system...and just to put it into perspective, if you count one pallet per store (and most stores will want to stock at least 3 pallets) -- that's still 1,700 pallets of Mel's Mix...and that works out to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 63 fully-loaded semi trucks.

That's a lot for any manufacturer to produce, and a lot for anybody to distribute. It's pretty common for a new product rollout to go on a region by region basis, because it's easier for Lowe's, the trucking companies, and the manufacturers to handle it.

So be patient...it can't physically happen overnight.

If your local store doesn't have it right now, it doesn't mean that they don't want to carry it...it just might not be ready for their region yet.
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/9/2010, 11:16 am

Good point LeFee! I'm just so excited that I may not have to mix up all that stuff anymore that I am a runaway train looking for Mel's Mix and asking for help!!!

I'll put on my be-patient hat -- Dear Lord, I need patience, and I need it NOW! Mel's Mix at Lowes Icon_smile
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/9/2010, 11:21 am

Thanks for the insight, LaFee, you 3 piece suit wearing, brief case carrying, sensible shoe wearing, non-schmoozing ex-sales rep, you!! way to go
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 4/9/2010, 11:46 am

Naaah. It was 3" stilettos Mel's Mix at Lowes Icon_eek Mel's Mix at Lowes Affraid
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyevidence 4/9/2010, 11:52 am

Wow... my store just got 300 units of this in today!! Mel's Mix at Lowes Icon_cheers It will be "on the floor" in a day or so! Yep $12.97!

Well, I sure picked a good time to start...
ladyevidence

Back to top Go down

Post  Teresa 4/9/2010, 2:15 pm

Just called my Lowe's and they hadn't received the shipment. He called the distributor and found out the shipment is to arrive Monday afternoon. I hate to wait even 3 more days, but I think it will be better than making the mix myself so I'll just have everything ready to go.
Teresa

Female Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  californiaallie 4/9/2010, 3:49 pm

Ladyevidence....I am in Ramona, CA and am wondering which Lowes got the soil in?? I would love to go pick some up!

Thanks!
californiaallie

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyevidence 4/9/2010, 4:02 pm

It will be officially "in stock" and on the floor within the next couple of days at the Vista and the Oceanside stores. The woman said "all the stores near you, actually", so if there is somewhere in north county San Diego is closest to you, I'd call and ask!
ladyevidence

Back to top Go down

Post  vinny09 4/9/2010, 11:52 pm

Crap, I forgot that there was an existing thread for Mel's Mix at Lowes and started a new one in the Vermiculite forum (which I just realized is the wrong forum). Anyway, Mel's Mix is available at the Vacaville, CA store as of today. There were a ton of them!
vinny09

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix at Lowes Empty None in MN

Post  auntiemommy 4/12/2010, 11:31 am

I called the two different Lowe's districts for SE MN and the Twin Cities, neither are stocking it. Sad
auntiemommy
auntiemommy

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix at Lowes Empty Vermiculite at Lowe's

Post  donnainzone5 4/13/2010, 10:54 am

It's available at the Hawthorne, Calif. store at Crenshaw and 120th St. There were three pallets, all stored on a high top shelf. I persuaded a manager to leave an entire pallet of bags on the floor and suggested that they be placed near the raised bed display and that they consider offering the all-new version of the Square Foot Gardening book, displayed, of course, in the same area.

I picked up a bag the other day and noticed that the packaging is different. Is there a reason for this? Is it a different formulation? The vermiculite appeared to be smaller than the coarse grade I purchased from U-Line.

I plan to teach some classes at this location....
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix at Lowes Empty RE: Mix @ Lowe's

Post  Maya Papaya 4/13/2010, 12:19 pm

Woohoo! Found it at my local Lowes' @ $12.97/2 cu. ft. in Union City, CA. Was just about to go out and get my own mix. Haven't done the math for which way will be cheaper, but just off the bat it sure seems to be so much easier to get it pre-mixed! I need to fill two 4'x8' beds so it will cost me $207.52 for the 32 cu. ft. Time is money...my daddy always said.

Thanks to the original poster for this!

Maya
Maya Papaya
Maya Papaya

Female Posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix at Lowes Empty RE: Mix @ Lowe's

Post  Maya Papaya 4/13/2010, 12:39 pm

Maya Papaya wrote:Woohoo! Found it at my local Lowes' @ $12.97/2 cu. ft. in Union City, CA. Was just about to go out and get my own mix. Haven't done the math for which way will be cheaper, but just off the bat it sure seems to be so much easier to get it pre-mixed! I need to fill two 4'x8' beds so it will cost me $207.52 for the 32 cu. ft. Time is money...my daddy always said.

Thanks to the original poster for this!

Maya

Ok, I just did the math and it is $30 cheaper for me to actually buy it pre-mixed! I just have to drive 15 miles to get it. I will make the trek...no big deal. SWEEEETTTT!

Maya Papaya
Maya Papaya
Maya Papaya

Female Posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum