Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! Toplef10Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! I22gcj10Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! Toplef10Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! I22gcj10Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem!

+9
RoOsTeR
BackRiver_SFG
boffer
jamesindetroit
littlesapphire
camprn
walshevak
Chopper
kbb964
13 posters

Go down

Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! Empty Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem!

Post  kbb964 4/27/2012, 6:30 pm

Going out of town tomorrow and 2 of the nights there is a freeze warning. do I leave hoop house closed to keep babies warm at night and then they will bake during the sunny days? or leave them open at the ends so they dont overheat but they will freeze at night.
OMG what do I do? I am so panicking
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! Empty Re: Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem!

Post  Chopper 4/27/2012, 7:17 pm

Can you leave it open and run an electric light in there to warm it at night (the old fashioned kind that give off heat)?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! Empty Re: Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem!

Post  walshevak 4/27/2012, 7:35 pm

Unless it is a hard freeze just having the hoop over the top will keep any frost off the plants. I'm convinced the tulle I have over my hoops has prevented frost from settling on my plants a couple of times. Leave the ends open half way to vent during the day and hope.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/27/2012, 7:45 pm

This weather we have been having is a good lesson for me to mind my last frost date despite my desire to get an early start. I would probably put the plastic on the hoop, close one end and place several water jugs inside the hoop. Those will absorb some heat during the day and release it at night. Good luck with the plants and have a good trip.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 4/27/2012, 8:44 pm

Looks like we're getting freezes the next three nights as well Sad I'm so tired of this cold snap! I just looked up your weather for the next couple of days, and it looks like you're not going to be too warm. Upper 50s, and dark and rainy tomorrow. So I would just leave the plastic on and I bet it'll be just fine.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesindetroit 4/27/2012, 9:01 pm

kbb...I'm in the same zone as you. I've got all my cool weather crops out in the hoop houses. I keep them closed at night. I open them in the mornings if its gonna be really warm. I even forgot my green pepper plants in there last night...and as you know..peppers dont tolerate cold at all.

So...you'll be fine. Just close the hoop house up..
jamesindetroit
jamesindetroit

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 126

http://www.deliverdetroit.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/27/2012, 9:59 pm

If they are all cool crops, I would worry more about cooking them during a sun break, than I would about freeze damage. I vote for providing a little ventilation.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! Empty Freeze prep

Post  BackRiver_SFG 4/28/2012, 8:19 am

Freeze warnings here in south shore Mass too. Another to go tonight! To prepare for last night, I placed a tarp over my critter cage and held it down with some logs. On the cold frame I just tied down the lids so the wind wouldn't open it up. The cover up job I'm most proud of is behind the 2nd site. I have a 2x2 extender for growing bigger carrots and potatoes. I laid my Carhart vest over the top, placed a towel on top of that and then weighed it down with a lawn chair and log. Wink

My wife teased me as I came back inside asking if my crops were all tucked in for the night. sawing logs Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! File-34

the spider plant was brought inside for the night...

I like the idea of using an incandescent light for an overnight heat source! Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! 27650
BackRiver_SFG
BackRiver_SFG

Male Posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/28/2012, 8:28 am

Boffer, that is what I will do !
kbb964
kbb964

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/28/2012, 8:29 am

I think we escaped our freeze potentials for the weekend Very Happy
The wind on the other hand has been just terrible! It's wreaking havoc on my gardens Mad

Freeze warnings again this weekend and I have a problem! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/28/2012, 10:56 am

best laid plans of mice and gardeners.
I was just saying yesterday that we were clear sailing now, not much chance of frost, looked out this am and frost on all the buildings and.... my plants.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/29/2012, 2:01 am

Oh GWN! Did they survive? Were they plants that could take the frost? I hope...
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/29/2012, 2:08 am

Everything seems to be fine, it seems so warm otherwise during the day, everything seems to just tolerate the brief period under freezing.
I have planted the tomatoes in the hoop house and the lows tonite are supposed to be 6.
So once again free sailing Smile Do potatoes that have sprouted tolerate frost?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/30/2012, 6:45 pm

Just got home about an hr ago and everything survived my absence!

Beds needed a little water but seedlings looked happy enough and a few lettuce had popped up !

Keeping the plastic hoop house on still as it is raining like billyo and dont want seeds to be washed away. Better weather is forecast for wednesday, mid 80'S ! yikes

I am still a little concerned about bed 2 which has no signs of life still....... maybe in a few more days.
kbb964
kbb964

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/30/2012, 6:46 pm

I have my fingers crossed for you Gwn !
kbb964
kbb964

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/30/2012, 9:39 pm

We just got thru 3 nites of freezing temps with last night dropping to 27. Brrrr. I covered all my beds with old towels and closed up the cold frame and A-frame. But I forgot covering 3 of my basil near the asparagus bed. Duh! Lost those to frost. Everything else came thru just fine.

I'm glad to hear your crops survived the cold. We're in for some nice weather now so I'm crossing my fingers that things are improving in temps for good, but you never know when those blankets and towels will be needed again.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/30/2012, 11:47 pm

Sorry to hear you lost the basil, Bea! Those things are definitely tender.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down