Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 Toplef10What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 I22gcj10What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 Toplef10What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 I22gcj10What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What flowers go best in a SFG?

+6
givvmistamps
AvaDGardner
Turan
CharlesB
H_TX_2
cheyannarach
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 Empty Re: What flowers go best in a SFG?

Post  AvaDGardner 4/13/2012, 1:39 am

AvaDGardner wrote:Want some seeds? Someone just gave me a bag of them! PM me your addy (this offer is open to anyone).

We use them to attract pollinators to the comm garden. They are a cheap and easy plant and give you lots of seeds! We put their seeds all around the outer areas.

Disclaimer: I do not know how large these things will be. The seed giver said they were 'Mexican' sunflowers. Whatever that means!

I can tell you the shells are huge.

We don't put them in our plots. Just around the property.
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 Empty Re: What flowers go best in a SFG?

Post  cheyannarach 4/13/2012, 1:53 am

givvmistamps wrote:Shorter sunflowers might work. I'd offer you seeds, but the sunflowers my son picked grow 10 to 12 FEET TALL!!! That might not work, even in a bed that'll be lower than the next terrace up.

What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 311672 And how cool that you terraced your boxes up a hill! What flowers go best in a SFG? - Page 2 311672

I just had them pictured in my head a few years ago and got my hubby to build them (if I attempt to build anything the carpenter in him takes over, lol) Then he just builds them for me. I didn't know about SFG then but it must have been fate. The rest of the boxes are the perfect size, I'll take a picture tomorrow and show you. Did you see the picture of my new one?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/13/2012, 2:09 am

I had to go back and look, but I do remember seeing the box your husband made, now. That's really cool, a larger version of what's sold in the SFG online store. You can plant the flowers up top, then put veggies around the parts you can reach easily. I look forward to seeing it planted!

My husband can use tools, but he's not overly handy. I used to be really good with tools, even made my living assembling things for a while, but now I'm not able to do heavy work like that. (Otherwise I would've built my boxes as soon as we bought this house two years ago!) I've known about SFG since taking an organic gardening class in college 13 years ago, but never had a place where I could grow more than a very small container garden. So I stuck with flowers and herbs most of the time. I'm thrilled to finally get my SFG going after all this time, even if it is smaller than I'd like it to be this first year.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 4/13/2012, 2:40 am

Well I am happy you get to start your square foot garden, do you live in a city? I live 5 miles out of town and have 2 neighbors. I have 2 acres of space to grow on and lots of places full of sunshine! But I live n SD...
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/13/2012, 2:53 am

We're in a suburban neighborhood on a 1/4 acre lot which our house seems to take up nearly half of...but our "city" is really more of a large town. Downtown is maybe 2-3 miles away (2 as the crow flies) and we can see the fireworks on the 4th of July from the street in front of our house. affraid They're distant, but we don't have to deal with crowds and walking a long ways from a parking lot! Very Happy Having lived in big cities, this place seems tiny to me, but I tired of big cities long ago.

What's nice is, we have an empty lot behind us, then the lot across the street from that is empty too, so we can see the lake and wetlands from our back porch/yard. (We just don't appreciate the skeeters.) And we get enough sun to grow things in this hot climate in spite of all the trees on that 'empty' lot to the south of us. Wink I'm learning that 6 hours is PLENTY of sun for most full-sun plants, because it's so intense.

It sounds like you've started finding ways to extend your growing season, which is great. Maybe you can upgrade to a true greenhouse eventually...or build a Florida room onto your house. Wink If built correctly, that could extend your growing season by a lot and be warm enough for you to enjoy the sun on a winter's day!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 4/13/2012, 10:28 am

Someday we will upgrade, maybe in a few years but this will definately be fun to play with for now!! What's a Florida room?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/15/2012, 5:33 am

Oh man, it's been tough keeping up with the boards with all the recent posts!

A Florida room is also known as a sunroom, conservatory, and several other names. Back in NC and VA I always heard them called Florida rooms. Look at this wiki link:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunroom My aunt has one in northern NY, and she uses it to protect her tender perennials in winter and that's where she starts her seeds. She also has a nice seating area in there, so on sunny winter days she can enjoy the sun and greenery when there's snow on the ground. Sometimes these rooms have glass all along an entire wall or two, and even an angled part going upward toward the roof. How it's designed is dependent upon just how much light you want, and how much you're willing to spend on heating it. I've seen them with wood stoves in them, and a pot of water is always kept on that to maintain some humidity in the air for the plants. (It's better for your skin too.)
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2