Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG Toplef10Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG I22gcj10Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG Toplef10Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG I22gcj10Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG

+3
miinva
Retired Member 1
gardenwriter
7 posters

Go down

Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG Empty Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG

Post  gardenwriter 5/19/2010, 4:36 pm

I over-wintered a sage plant in the garage and instead of dying--as expected--it is now blooming. Quite nice!

What do we know about putting sage in a SFG? And are the flowers to be encouraged or nipped?

My new stone walled SFG is gorgeous (pictures have been posted), but OMG do I have a lot of planting to do. I'd like to include some annual flowers besides the ones mentioned in the book, cutting flowers in particular. Any recommendations?

Gardenwriter
gardenwriter

Female Posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG Empty Re: Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG

Post  Retired Member 1 5/20/2010, 5:10 pm

I love sage! Not sure how well it would work in SFG since it's a perennial unless you have a bed dedicated to just perennials. Perhaps put it in a large pot in the garden?

I grow crackerjack marigolds and california giant zinnias in my SFG for cutting. Those are about the only annual flowers that do well all summer in our heat. I would think any annual that doesn't spread too much would work well. Just choose some that do well in your climate.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG Empty Thanks

Post  gardenwriter 5/20/2010, 5:53 pm

I appreciate the feedback. Do the giant zinnias need any staking? I'd love to put some of those in.

Sage is not a perennial here in Wisconsin. I'll let you know how it works!

Thanks again for responding!
gardenwriter

Back to top Go down

Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG Empty Re: Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG

Post  miinva 5/20/2010, 5:56 pm

I have a bed that's dedicated to sunflowers or all sizes and varieties (although a couple of cucumbers snuck into the end of the bed!) Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/20/2010, 6:32 pm

I've never had to stake the California giant zinnias and they grow 3' or more tall. If you live in a particularly windy area you might have to occasionally, but not on a regular basis. Here's a pic of them growing with marigolds in an ornamental bed. They are about 30" tall and if I keep them deadheaded they will produce all summer. I forgot in my previous post about cosmos -- they are also great in that they get 4-5' tall but are very "airy" so don't shade other plants.

Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG Zinnia10
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/20/2010, 6:53 pm

Around here, sage is perennial (mine is anyway) and my one plant is enormous. I have never nipped the flowers, they are so pretty and the bees love them. My plant does not pack up after blooming.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 5/20/2010, 7:07 pm

Thanks for the information on sage flowers. I was wondering about it. Our sage plant is quite large also. Does anyone have a recipe that uses a cup of fresh sage? I feel like I should be using it more then I am!
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/20/2010, 7:11 pm

Shoda wrote:Thanks for the information on sage flowers. I was wondering about it. Our sage plant is quite large also. Does anyone have a recipe that uses a cup of fresh sage? I feel like I should be using it more then I am!

My favorite is to do frizzled sage in browned butter. I could take a bath in that stuff! *swoon*

Just snapped a picture, here is my sage bush....complete with unmowed lawn and all! Wink

Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG Photo-744763

Last edited by Megan on 5/20/2010, 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add photo)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 5/20/2010, 7:45 pm

Frizzled sage, huh? Never heard of it. A web search says it is just washed, dried leaves cooked in oil or butter until crisp, right? What do you eat it with?
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/20/2010, 7:54 pm

Shoda wrote:Frizzled sage, huh? Never heard of it. A web search says it is just washed, dried leaves cooked in oil or butter until crisp, right? What do you eat it with?

Frizzled sage is just one name for it. Burnt or browned butter sage sauce is what it's usually called, I think.

Use unsalted butter, it is wasted in oil as the browned bits from the milkfat are what really make it. It is very good on pastas, winter squashes, veggies, etc. I finely slice the leaves (julienne) before I frizzle it, but you can do them whole, too... those would be nice presentation/eats with roast pork or turkey. Or just mop it up with a good bread ;-)

Come to think of it... it would probably be an awesome base for a white pizza. Twisted Evil
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  gardenwriter 5/20/2010, 10:25 pm

Love the flower pictures and the frizzled sage recipe! Thank you all.
gardenwriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 5/21/2010, 12:19 am

Yum... I am so going to try it this weekend. Sounds wonderful!
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/21/2010, 3:13 pm

I wouldn't put sage in my box; at least where I live (zone 5b) it will get huge! In my apt herb garden when I left you could hide a small child in it. It gets really woody after several years.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 5/21/2010, 3:40 pm

I have some tires full of MM in my front yard (classy, I know *giggle*... that's country livin'!), so maybe I'll try to grow some sage there. Last year my pineapple sage got HUGE! But it didn't survive the winter Sad
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/21/2010, 6:53 pm

It sure does, herblover. That photo I posted is AFTER I harvested a double-armful of boughs last year.

Miinva, I haven't tried to grow pineapple sage since I moved back east. It grew very well in Southern California, though. May be just my imagination, but I think it is a very different plant. :?:
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG Empty Flowers in SFG

Post  mckr3441 5/28/2010, 11:31 am

I'm a flower gardener trying to learn how to grow veggies. Last year I did a 2x6 SFG with flowers and it did great!

I had cleome, Gerbera Daisys, Cosmos, digitalis, silver mound artemesia, seed dahlias, portulaca (moss rose) and impatience. In small pots w/Mel's Mix I had nicotianna.

I'm not doing so well with the veggies! I may stick to flowers Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG Icon_lol .
Sage and Cutting Flowers in the SFG Img_1810
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  gardenwriter 5/29/2010, 7:05 am

Thanks for the feedback!

The garden is mostly planted with vegetables now, but I have planted salvia, dahlia, calla lily plants, and seeds for cosmos and nasturtiums. I'll post pictures when things are a little more showy.

Gardenwriter
gardenwriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/29/2010, 7:46 am

Yay nasturtiums! I grew one direct-seeded in MM, and bought another... and I'm telling ya, mine looks healthier!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down