Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Using Neem Oil Toplef10Using Neem Oil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Using Neem Oil I22gcj10Using Neem Oil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Using Neem Oil Toplef10Using Neem Oil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Using Neem Oil I22gcj10Using Neem Oil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Using Neem Oil

4 posters

Go down

Using Neem Oil Empty Using Neem Oil

Post  H_TX_2 4/9/2012, 11:17 am

I used neem oil for the first time this past weekend. I read the directions that said to mix 2 tablespoons with one gallon of water and spray on the plants. The directions also had enough warnings in them to frighten me a little bit. Warnings about contact with skin, eye irritation, wash clothes immediately and many other things. Are these warnings overly cautious just to be on the safe side? I'm not planning on taking a swig of the neem concentrate on a hot day after working in the garden and I'm not going to use it as a face wash. This stuff is safe right; if I get some on my hands while mixing it up it will be okay to wait until after I spray the garden and then wash my hands?

The directions didn't say to use any dish soap but I read a few things online that said to put one or two drops of soap into the mix.

My plan is to spray the neem mix at night and soak all the plants. The next morning it should be dry and then I do some dusting with B.T. I will use the neem about every 3 or 4 days for 3 weeks and follow it up with B.T. after it dries. Is this too much? Can you use neem too much?
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Using Neem Oil Empty Re: Using Neem Oil

Post  givvmistamps 4/9/2012, 11:40 am

I looked up the neem oil since I was trained in OSHA and chemical safety...this oil is quite heavy in organic acids, which basically means the stuff is possibly harmful in it's pure state, though the pH on the MSDS I pulled said the pH could range from 6.5-7.5. That means it could burn your skin, etc, but probably not; the acidic state of 6.5 isn't very strong. In it's concentrated state, that could cause a burn on your skin, burn holes in clothing, etc, but probably not. (The regulations regarding how a package must be marked regarding warnings are pretty strong.) After mixing, the acids will be diluted enough that it shouldn't be an issue but you definitely want to be careful with the concentrate. Best thing to do is wash it off skin and treat clothing with a baking soda paste if you splash it on your clothes. Waiting a few minutes to finish your task might be okay.

HTH
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/9/2012, 11:44 am

Oh, regarding the adding of dish soap, that's probably to add surfactants so that the oil will be more soluble, but I wouldn't recommend adding regular dish soap. There are too many chemicals, particularly the foaming agents, that are probably less safe for you and the plants than the neem oil itself. My guess is the manufacturer already added natural (organically based) surfactants, based upon what I've read, so this will be unnecessary unless you bought pure neem oil not specifically intended for plant application.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/9/2012, 11:49 am

I used it last year and I lived to tell about it... Smile

So...first off - my Neem Oil says every 7 days if you already have pests or disease and every 14 days for prevention. I think I did only do it every 7 days (unless you get some crazy rainstorm or something...). I think more than that is overkill with the Neem.

Don't apply when bees are around - but don't wait until night to apply where the leaves will be wet at night in the dark... I tried to apply when the bees were not out but with enough daylight left to dry the leaves before dark....

On the warnings - you are correct, they do say to avoid contact with skin and to wash hands before eating, smoking, etc. Here is what I do: I am careful not to spill it on my clothes. If my hands get wet from a leaky sprayer or I get it on my hands, I will wash them when I'm done applying the treatment. If they don't get too messy, then I'll just be sure to wash them before picking any veggies, eating, etc....

Another thing you can do, if you are gardening where it isn't convenient to wash your hands, is to get a cheap box of disposable gloves (like you would use for food service or medical or hardware applications) and just wear those when you have to treat, and dispose of them when done.

I do use a "natural" liquid dish soap but not WITH the Neem. I will put a couple drops in a spray bottle and try that first (often it's all I need to battle aphids, etc.). If I can't get em with the soap, then I'll graduate up to the Neem treatment. Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 4/9/2012, 11:55 am

I bought Neem Concentrate made by Green Light.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/9/2012, 12:03 pm

That's specifically intended for plant application, so adding surfactants shouldn't be needed. Is there an ingredient list? That would help to figure it out.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 4/9/2012, 12:05 pm

I thought that since neem prevents powdery mildew and other plant diseases it would be okay to let it sit overnight to dry.

Last year I had some frogs near my garden. This year I will be adding a frog house so does that mean I have to stop using neem once I get a resident frog in my garden?
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/9/2012, 12:12 pm

Frogs are amphibians, so they breathe through their skin; I would be very careful to look for a frog in the garden before spraying.

Leaving any sort of moisture on plants at night is not good; it will encourage growth of powdery mildew regardless of the neem oil.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/9/2012, 12:29 pm

What is a frog house? Why would they stay in it?
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/9/2012, 12:35 pm

If you want to be specific, it's typically toads that will live in gardens...unless there's a lake or pond nearby, which frogs need in order to keep their skins moisturized. Toads love to find a low, dark, moist place to make their summer homes in. In the space under a shed, under a low porch, etc. Sometimes you can encourage them to live near your garden by placing a "toad abode" in the garden. Some people use a 6"-8" pot, half-buried, and angled so the opening is low enough to hold moisture inside. Other people get a lot more creative, even making an entire toad garden complete with miniature plants hold shade the home, put in a gravel "path" to the opening, etc. Look up toad house images online, it's quite a hoot what people have done to encourage the toads! That said, I'm the type who might just get that crazy...frogs & toads are my favorite animals.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 4/9/2012, 12:47 pm

givvmistamps is right it is a toad not a frog. Why would a toad want to stay in it? I provide shelter, a water source and all they bugs they can eat. They eat the bugs in my garden and my family gets a friend that lives outside in the garden. The kids know to leave him alone because he's working or on duty.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down