Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users Toplef10Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users I22gcj10Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users Toplef10Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users I22gcj10Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Fri May 17, 2024 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Thu May 16, 2024 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Thu May 16, 2024 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Thu May 16, 2024 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Sun May 12, 2024 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Tue May 07, 2024 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Sat May 04, 2024 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Thu May 02, 2024 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Wed May 01, 2024 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users

+2
mckr3441
daisyhill
6 posters

Go down

Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users Empty Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users

Post  daisyhill Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:55 am

This is feedback about the frontpage of the site itself rather than the forum - am I in the right place for that?

My workplace, like many large corporations and government agencies, is a bit behind the times as far as browsers go. We are stuck using IE6 and cannot upgrade our Flash players or any other optional extras. I tried to get onto the SFG site today and I could not read the front page. There is no non-Flash alternative, which is a huge problem for anybody running an old browser (or the new Apple iPad, I believe).

How many potential readers/gardeners are trying to get to this site and being locked out, I wonder? It's not hard to offer a HTML alternative to Flash sites, and frankly I can see no reason for the front page of this site being Flash-driven in any case. Hope that somebody can rectify this before too many more people give up and go elsewhere!
daisyhill
daisyhill

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users Empty Re: Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users

Post  mckr3441 Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:00 am

Thanks for your post, Daisy. Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users 109486
I will alert the "powers that be" to you input. In the meantime, I hope you will stay with the Forums and let us know how your garden is doing.

Welcome!
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users Empty Re: Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users

Post  daisyhill Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks Claire! Luckily for me, I have more modern browsers at home and can read the site in the evenings, or if I get a direct link to a forum posting. The front page is the problem. If I hadn't been here before I would have given up in disgust this morning, thinking that the whole site was broken.
daisyhill
daisyhill

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:03 pm

Daisy - I can't see probably 90% of the pictures here at work. I can at home; my problem is that by the time I get to my home computer, I don't remember whose posts I wanted to go back & view. Amazingly I don't have trouble with the website, but I can't view any of the videos. Ah well - at least the site isn't blocked here! Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users Icon_smile

n.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Alan is swamped right now. Here's what I can pass along until he has some time. He truly values constructive feedback, so don't hesitate to speak up.

Last week, Claire and I offered some suggestions to Alan along the same vein. I asked if a shadow, non-flash, web site was a possibility. At this point, the sfg web site is on a flash dedicated space. He is in the process of acquiring some traditional HTML space. Beyond that, I don't know how he plans to use it.

You bring up an interesting conundrum. The traffic stats of the web site look very promising. BUT, as you suggest, how many viewers are being shut out at the front door, or give up waiting for the download, or can't even get on the site to complain?! Those numbers are elusive at best, unknown at worst.

We all refer folks to Mel's book. Yet even though Alan has added some great reference information to the new site, no one is referring to it. I find that odd.

We had a good laugh at the difference in perspective that the 20+ year age gap between us creates. But I still think 'target audience' is still a factor worth considering.

Thanks again for your input,
Steve
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:49 pm

Hey Everyone. I appreciate all the feedback, that is how I can make our site better. I also appreciate your desire to have our site be seen by as many people as possible!.

I am sorry, but our current website(hundreds of pages, hundreds of icons, videos, etc)took me 3 months to assemble working at it full time! it's not very easy to offer another full website just for HTML. It's not just assembling it, but it meeting Mel's approval. Mel was never happy with the old website (one of the main reasons that we changed it) and that took a lot of work. Please remember that there is just me to do all this, and this is only one of many jobs I have here at the foundation. Also remember that I run several companies outside the foundation!

Thankfully, Flash is widely used all over the web and only specific corporate systems that block flash and apple computers have had problems with flash (actually, even apple computers can see flash if they just install it!) The only real worry has been the popular iphone (and now the ipad) However, adobe has just announced that with the new CS5, flash will now work on the iphone(and I am assuming the ipad as well) so even apple (whethere they like it or not) is getting on board with flash.

So although I am not opposed to another website for HTML people, that is a huge project and my time is very limited. Plus, having two sites, means I have to spend twice the time updating since I would need to update two sites, instead of one (I am not even finished building this one yet). I appreciate all your feedback, and It's something that I would not mind doing, and I can see myself coming up with something after the season is over, but it's not high on my priority list right now. Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users Icon_tongue

Last edited by SquareFoot on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  SirTravers Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:58 pm

It's about time Adobe got on the ball. If they get the CSS for apple's OSx then it will quickly ported over to Linux also! I love watching the upgrades fly across the net Site is inaccessible for non-Flash users Icon_biggrin
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:03 pm

Huh, I think my google english translator is broken. I don't have a clue what Travis just said!

The boss has spoken, and I can close this thread now.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down