Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc Toplef10WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc I22gcj10WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc Toplef10WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc I22gcj10WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc

+9
jkdistad
Retired Member 1
pattipan
herbarium
1chichi
Shoda
timwardell
Toastie
SFGIdeas
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc Empty WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc

Post  SFGIdeas 5/13/2010, 12:28 pm

Good day to all of the Square Foot Gardeners out there and users of the forum. This post is for us to obtain an idea of what you, our users, would like to see on our website www.squarefootgardening.com.

We are looking for ideas and suggestions on how you would like to view and navigate our site. You ideas can include layout, links, photos, captions, pricing sheets, information, search options, or anything else that you may like to see change or possibly make it easier for you to use and get the information you are looking for.

We do realize that there are multiple suggestions throughout the forum but hopefully this will streamline everyones thoughts and allow others to build upon them.

As the user of our site, your ideas are valued and we fully thank you for them. We hope that all of your gardens are either flourishing or are well on their way to producing a wonderful crop for you or your family. Happy Gardening from all of us here at Square Foot Gardening.
SFGIdeas

Back to top Go down

WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc Empty Re: WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc

Post  Toastie 5/13/2010, 1:11 pm

How about an iphone app or at least a version of the website I can access on my iphone

Also how about a wikipedia so we can look at tips from other users about certain seeds and such

Toastie

Back to top Go down

WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc Empty Re: WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc

Post  timwardell 5/14/2010, 12:04 am

I think the content is largely already present (though I do support the idea of a SFG wiki that boffer and others are pursuing in another thread). The problem with the content is that it's currently in flash so there is no direct way to link to it (nor any way for search engines to crawl it). It would be so much easier to email a link to someone with the exact content that answers their question as opposed to saying, click A, then select B, once that opens choose C, etc. I know this has been discussed before so I won't belabor the point that a non-flash site would be a big help. ... As for the layout, I think clean and simple is always best - a nice looking banner, navigation bar either across the header or in a left side bar, middle section for the main content, and possibly a right side bar for special announcements and such.

Again, I'll state that I think the content is 90% there - it just needs to be available in a non-flash format.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 5/14/2010, 12:13 am

My suggestion would be to make page layout be more friendly to laptops. My laptop is 1200 x 800 ( or something close to that) and I love to read the forums while the TV is on. Trouble is, the page header (Green bar & SFG graphic), menu bar and such take over half of the vertical space. This means in order to use the forum on my laptop, every page has to be scrolled down so that the content displays. 400px is a lot for static stuff. Would be nice if this could be smaller.

Thanks for asking.
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  1chichi 5/14/2010, 9:24 am

I agree w/ Shonda. The page header takes up too much space.
It pops up when I open up a post. So, I'm constantly scrolling down to get past it.
Can it be eliminated? WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc 109486
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 5/14/2010, 9:38 am

I would also appreciate a non flash site.
Mostly I think the site is great.
I do miss the profile info from the old site where we could fill out info about our gardens and post our garden photos right to our profile.
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 150

http://gardeninspire.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/14/2010, 10:13 am

We're talking about the SFG's web site, not the forum right?

My first suggestion would be to get rid of the Flash. It makes the website take much too long to load and it is not very user friendly or accessible. It needs to be made more accessible IMHO. Maybe an example would help me explain. Here's a well laid out site with lots and lots of content.

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/index.shtml

Note how much info they were able contain on their home page -- with links and images to important content. The navigation is on the left and expands to sub-menus as needed. It loads very FAST too. Is the print too small? -- no problem! -- just hold down your CTRL key and scroll with your mouse wheel (or touchpad scroll). The entire page and text becomes larger. This is accessibility. And like Tim W. mentioned, you can link to any of the content pages. For those of you with kids and grandkids or who are teachers...check out the Just for Kids links. I don't know if it's iPhone friendly, but it shows what I was trying to explain.

I believe you've included most of the content new SFG'ers are looking for, it just needs to be made easier to access.

Thanks for asking!
Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/14/2010, 12:04 pm

I agree with others about having a non-flash site. The current one takes too long to load and if I could provide a link to a particular page, I'd be spreading the SFG message far and wide.

I'd also like to see more specific plant and herb content. The current page with the plants and herbs on a grid is a good beginning, but how about adding SFG planting spacing, etc. to the descriptions? I know that is in the book, but if I'm on the forum answering questions, it would be lovely to provide a link rather than go find the book and type in the answer.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGIdeas 5/14/2010, 12:10 pm

Toastie wrote:How about an iphone app or at least a version of the website I can access on my iphone

Also how about a wikipedia so we can look at tips from other users about certain seeds and such

We are currently in the process of building an iPhone. Keep your eyes open for it in the application store in about a week or two!!
SFGIdeas

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGIdeas 5/14/2010, 12:15 pm

Thank you all for you ideas and suggestions and please keep them coming. Please continue to keep in mind that this is strickly for our main page at www.squarefootgardening.com and not the forum.

Keep them coming all!!! Happy Gardening!!!
SFGIdeas

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGIdeas 5/14/2010, 12:20 pm

Shoda wrote:My suggestion would be to make page layout be more friendly to laptops. My laptop is 1200 x 800 ( or something close to that) and I love to read the forums while the TV is on. Trouble is, the page header (Green bar & SFG graphic), menu bar and such take over half of the vertical space. This means in order to use the forum on my laptop, every page has to be scrolled down so that the content displays. 400px is a lot for static stuff. Would be nice if this could be smaller.

Thanks for asking.

That's interesting that you have to scroll on your laptop. Our page is set up at 1000 x 650 so there should be no reason why you would have to scroll on the main website for anything other than merchandise. We will look into it but you may want to check your computer settings as well. Thank you again.
SFGIdeas

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGIdeas 5/14/2010, 12:32 pm

pattipan wrote:We're talking about the SFG's web site, not the forum right?

My first suggestion would be to get rid of the Flash. It makes the website take much too long to load and it is not very user friendly or accessible. It needs to be made more accessible IMHO. Maybe an example would help me explain. Here's a well laid out site with lots and lots of content.

Note how much info they were able contain on their home page -- with links and images to important content. The navigation is on the left and expands to sub-menus as needed. It loads very FAST too. Is the print too small? -- no problem! -- just hold down your CTRL key and scroll with your mouse wheel (or touchpad scroll). The entire page and text becomes larger. This is accessibility. And like Tim W. mentioned, you can link to any of the content pages. For those of you with kids and grandkids or who are teachers...check out the Just for Kids links. I don't know if it's iPhone friendly, but it shows what I was trying to explain.

I believe you've included most of the content new SFG'ers are looking for, it just needs to be made easier to access.

Thanks for asking!
Patti

Yes, we are talking about the SFG Website and not the forum.
SFGIdeas

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 5/14/2010, 1:37 pm

SFGIdeas wrote:
Toastie wrote:How about an iphone app or at least a version of the website I can access on my iphone

We are currently in the process of building an iPhone. Keep your eyes open for it in the application store in about a week or two!!

This excites me! will it be a free app, or paid?
jkdistad
jkdistad

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 5/14/2010, 1:51 pm

What they all said above plus... I find the teaching/learning section difficult to navigate to find a teacher. To deeply imbedded.

The Store is fun but maybe should be more direct.

The site is very creative however are most viewers interested in the cleverness or getting to the info?

Claire WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc Icon_flower

P.S. Need to be able to search content of posts on forum. Not sure this is part of what you're looking for right now, though.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGIdeas 5/14/2010, 2:13 pm

mckr3441 wrote:What they all said above plus... I find the teaching/learning section difficult to navigate to find a teacher. To deeply imbedded.

The Store is fun but maybe should be more direct.

The site is very creative however are most viewers interested in the cleverness or getting to the info?

P.S. Need to be able to search content of posts on forum. Not sure this is part of what you're looking for right now, though.

Claire, If you could change the teaching/learning section, what would you change to make it easier to navigate?
SFGIdeas

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/14/2010, 2:20 pm

SFGIdeas wrote:
Shoda wrote:My suggestion would be to make page layout be more friendly to laptops. My laptop is 1200 x 800 ( or something close to that) and I love to read the forums while the TV is on. Trouble is, the page header (Green bar & SFG graphic), menu bar and such take over half of the vertical space. This means in order to use the forum on my laptop, every page has to be scrolled down so that the content displays. 400px is a lot for static stuff. Would be nice if this could be smaller.

Thanks for asking.

That's interesting that you have to scroll on your laptop. Our page is set up at 1000 x 650 so there should be no reason why you would have to scroll on the main website for anything other than merchandise. We will look into it but you may want to check your computer settings as well. Thank you again.

I think the original poster is speaking about the forum, not the main site. Even on my laptop I can see all but the very last line of text on the main site. But, the header on the forum takes up most of my screen space on the desktop as well as laptop. I like the banner you use -- pretty -- but perhaps for the forum use something much shorter?
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGIdeas 5/14/2010, 2:22 pm

jkdistad wrote:
SFGIdeas wrote:

This excites me! will it be a free app, or paid?

We will be offering both.
SFGIdeas

Back to top Go down

WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc Empty Non-flash site please

Post  raymondaitken 5/14/2010, 2:25 pm

The biggest problem with the site is the use of flash. It is very slow to load, and you cannot search the text, nor link to it. The best approach for users is "KISS" (keep it simple stupid), I am more interested in accessing and sharing information - technical gimmickry is getting in the way.
raymondaitken
raymondaitken

Male Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/14/2010, 2:37 pm

pattipan wrote:...Here's a well laid out site with lots and lots of content.
Note how much info they were able contain on their home page -- with links and images to important content. The navigation is on the left and expands to sub-menus as needed. It loads very FAST too. Is the print too small? -- no problem! -- just hold down your CTRL key and scroll with your mouse wheel (or touchpad scroll). The entire page and text becomes larger. This is accessibility.
Patti
I agree with Patti that her example is a great example of clean, professional, easy to navigate, non-flash site with TONS of content. If the SFGF could emulate something like that in a new site it would be GREAT! Very Happy ...and there was much rejoicing, yea!
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 5/14/2010, 2:45 pm

SFGideas...

re teaching/learning section. I will study that section more thoroughly and give feedback but am on the road for a few days so may not get to it till next week. Hope that's ok.

mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGIdeas 5/14/2010, 3:11 pm

mckr3441 wrote:SFGideas...

re teaching/learning section. I will study that section more thoroughly and give feedback but am on the road for a few days so may not get to it till next week. Hope that's ok.

That is absolutely fine. Enjoy your "road trip".
SFGIdeas

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/14/2010, 3:14 pm

I think the focus of an informational web site should be content and ease of navigation. Flash should be embedded here and there as a cherry on top!

I addressed the scrolling issue here:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/outside-the-box-f40/scrolling-in-the-forum-t2140.htm#14888
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGIdeas 5/14/2010, 3:31 pm

boffer wrote:I think the focus of an informational web site should be content and ease of navigation. Flash should be embedded here and there as a cherry on top!

I addressed the scrolling issue here:

[url=https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/outside-the-box-f40/scrolling-in-the-forum-t2140.htm#14888
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/outside-the-box-f40/scrolling-in-the-forum-t2140.htm#14888[/quote[/url]]

Boffer, Thank you so much for creating the topic for the scrolling issue. It seems to me the scrolling issue is only one that is seen on the forum and not on our actual webpage. The only scrolling that should need to be done on our website (not forum) would be navagating through our merchandise and information.
SFGIdeas

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/18/2010, 10:28 pm

One more thought... I think a SFG badge would be nice. Something we can put on our web sites and blogs that links back to the SFG.com site.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 5/19/2010, 10:03 am

SFG Badge! What a great idea Tim!
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 150

http://gardeninspire.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next