Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? Toplef10Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? I22gcj10Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? Toplef10Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? I22gcj10Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6?

+4
chjbr63
januaryX
martha
Dromeno
8 posters

Go down

Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? Empty Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6?

Post  Dromeno 3/31/2012, 12:32 pm

Hi forum,

I am new here (as well as a complete garden newbie) and about to make my first SFG. I have just read the book. I understand that the compost is the most important part of the mix but I would like to know more about some details. Like... how did the conclusion about the 5 types of compost come about? Which 5 and why not 4 or 6 for example. What needs to be in the compost?

The reason I ask is that I live in an apartment. I have a balcony but no garden. I have no source of leafy matter, and when I look at the plant based leftover I produce each week (fruit skins, food leftovers, coffee grounds, teabags, old houseplants etc) it looks a bit to wet/slimy/stinky to use in any mel's mix.

Still I would love to have nother option than buying compost.

A combination of wood pellets, boling water (to break up the pellets) and coffee grounds looks much more promising. Are coffee grounds a good compost substitute?
Dromeno
Dromeno

Back to top Go down

Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? Empty Re: Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6?

Post  martha 3/31/2012, 12:56 pm

Coffee grounds are good as part of compost, not as the complete thing. And I definitely wouldn't use wood pellets - I don't think they would have any nutrients for the plants. I am going to let someone like Camprn answer the question, because although I understand the reason, I own a restaurant, and Saturday afternoons aren't the best time for me to try to be coherent!

But, welcome, and a good answer will be along in no time!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? Empty Re: Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6?

Post  januaryX 3/31/2012, 1:22 pm

About your first question, this clarified things for me

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7023-mel-s-mix-pyramid
januaryX
januaryX

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 3/31/2012, 1:42 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The idea behind 5 or more composts is to make sure your plants are getting all the nutrients they need. One type may have more of some and less of another so you'll have a more balanced mix with different types.

The best place for you to start is on the home page. Move you mouse to the left side and a pop up has all the basic info on the "How and Why" Mel's Mix works. Just start reading from the top of that list and work your way down.

As far as starting now you would need to buy as many kinds of compost that you can find. 5 is the minimum but more is better. Being that it is on your balcony you wouldn't have to buy big bags. Then start a small garbage can compost bin or a worm bin for future needs.

Good Luck and Happy gardening
chjbr63
chjbr63

Male Posts : 106

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 3/31/2012, 3:57 pm

I started gardening in pots on a balcony too - and had no yard at all. I had to haul EVERYTHING upstairs.

And if your balcony is like mine, there would be no way to mix 5 composts, vermiculite, and peat moss, even if you only had a quart of each compost - the only place I'd have had to do such a thing would be in my LIVING ROOM, which would not have been an option.

There are some places selling premixed stuff, with 5 composts and the vermiculite and peat, premixed, so you might see if you can get some of that.

If you can't... well, I didn't know ANYTHING when I started, but knowing what I know now, I'd get a small bag of vermiculite, a small bag of peat moss, a small bag of composted manure, and azomite. Add a handful of the first three into each pot as you fill them and then a few tablespoons of azomite. Mix within the pot, then plant.

It may not be quite as good as Mel's mix, but it'll be darned close.

I knew MUCH LESS than that and still managed to grow tomatoes, peppers, mesclun mix and many herbs and such on my tiny balcony just in the cheapest potting soil I found.
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/31/2012, 6:51 pm

Hi Dromeno

Welcome to the site.

If you can get two plant pots & a bucket on your balcony you can make a soiless growth medium one hand full at a time out of small purchased bags of ingredients.

Five hands of peat , five hands of vermiculite and five lots of a handful each of a different compost type mix it in the bucket when dry and then add water to get it evenly damp through out before you start growing in it .

As has been said the idea of setting up and using a MINIMUM of five different types of purchased stuff is to get as many valuable nutients as you can rather than depend on a single source that may be defficient of some trace element that your plants will need for good growth . It is all to do with getting enough Nitrogen Potassium & Potash ( NPK ) and esential trace elements needed for sound plant growth

As you progress in your research you'll discover that most shop purchased composts ae a bit heavy on cheap part composted woody waste . Whereas home produced stuff if correctly made will be far better , contain many more varied plant fibres & usually have a lot more trace elements .

Look up the many worm threads on site to get an idea of how to start a wormery using shredded paper and Find clues as to where & how you can capture your own composting worms if you don't want to buy any .

If you don't have Mel Bartholomew's 2006 edition book " All New Square Foot Gardening ", may I suggest you get one , for it will contain much of what you will need to know to get going with square foot gardening.

The wood you mentioned is not composted and will therfore rob the growth medium of all nitrogen as it breaks down and turns into compost ...using it so it would be self defeating.

In Mel's book there are lists of all sorts of things that can be used for composting .

I've just had a thought , can you get the ready made up tomato / vegetable grow bags /planter bags in Holland ..if so I'd use some of that for the peat content then add your sourced manure & vermiculite , for most of the grow bags have enough nutrients to grow tomatoes or salad crops for six weeks.

At least that way would allow you to start growing stuff quickly and then give you time to develop things.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 3/31/2012, 7:21 pm

Yeah, I couldn't have fit 7 small bags on the balcony I started with, let alone a bucket on top of it. The living room would've been the only place to do that. Not to mention the 7 trips it'd have taken on the bus to get that stuff home since I didn't have a car.

I'm glad there was no such thing as the new book back then as it'd have been sad to have people tell me I couldn't garden at all if I couldn't haul 7 bags home on the bus and didn't have room for 7 bags on my balcony. That would've been impossible for me.

I have real Mel's mix in my raised bed NOW cause I live in the country, own a car, and have a yard to mix it up in.

But the fact is that SFG worked with the old book too, and gardening in general worked even before SFG... I started with just the instructions on seed packets.
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 4/1/2012, 12:15 am

Welcome, Dromeno!

You have half the wonderful material for your compost in your wet/slimey/sticky plant based leftover because that material is called your 'greens.' Now, your 'browns,' the other half of your compost, are going to be newspaper, cardboard, maybe some pine needles or other dry leaves you might collect in your walks outside. Don't be afraid to pick it up; some of us stop our cars to collect dry leaves. A mixture of browns and greens, time, and a little stirring up will turn into the most wonderful homemade compost! If you can find some space for two 5 gallon containers you can compost instead of buying the 5 different compost. Make your own, then you can set up some container planters for your veggie plants in your balcony.

I found this to guide you: "Build a Compost Box in your Apartment"
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/apartment-compost-guide.htm
Good luck and please tells us how you are progressing.
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  Dromeno 4/1/2012, 5:03 am

Wow - what a helpful forum. Thanks for the warm welcome!I have not even
read all the answers, but let me explain a bit more about the
woodpellet / coffee ground mixture idea. The idea is that the coffee
grounds provide the nitrogen. A formula of

• one volume part of wood
    pellets
  • one volume part of dried (oven baked) coffee grounds powder and
  • three volume parts boiling water'
Provide in a very fluffy / moist 'soil'. It is also a mixture which works as basis substrate for the cultivation of elm oyster mushrooms. In the book Mycelium Running (author Paul Stamets) is a chapter about the companion cultivation of elm oysters and vegetables. The elm oyster mycelium uses the pellets to make compost. According to Mycelium Running brussels sprouts and broccoli produced bigger yields with elm oyster mycelium mixed in the substrate. I wonder how it is with other vegetables. Mushrooms also love vermiculite (especially as casing layer of soil mix)

So I was thinking... if the mycelium converts the wood pellets into compost and yummy mushrooms, can I plant vegetables in the substrate as well? And boost the mixture with the leftovers (grounds) of my coffee drinking... and perhaps later reuse the vegetable leftovers as substrate ingredient again. Etc. It would make a nice permaculture like circle. And woodplellets + vermiculite + coffee grounds are all very easy storable / not smelly etc. Composting with mushroom mycelium has a sweet odor.

Composting is a form of fungi cultivation but then without the mushrooms.
Dromeno
Dromeno

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/1/2012, 5:07 am

I still believe worm composting will be the way to go for you to make compost inside but it takes time, so more for future use when you need to add a scoop of compost after harvesting. For now try to find some free compost on freecycle, craigs list and at the ag. center. You can also see if there are any SFG's in the area that would be willing to split some with you. I mix mine in small batches on a tarp in the carpark irt does not take long and if you had to use a side walk even it would be done in no time. You may even be able to wrangle in some helpers:twisted: . It realy is worth the expence and work to do it up right at the very start, no kidding.Why 5 types of compost and not 4 or 6? 654548 and good growing!!!!!!!
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down