Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Frustration - Page 2 Toplef10Frustration - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Frustration - Page 2 I22gcj10Frustration - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Frustration - Page 2 Toplef10Frustration - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Frustration - Page 2 I22gcj10Frustration - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Frustration

+19
CindiLou
Coelli
Goosegirl
marietta mike
rod champion
plantoid
Chopper
Lavender Debs
curio
walshevak
llama momma
shannon1
camprn
snibb
floyd1440
Furbalsmom
H_TX_2
UnderTheBlackWalnut
TejasTerry
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Frustration - Page 2 Empty Re: Frustration

Post  TejasTerry 3/26/2012, 9:09 am

Here are a few more pics of my problems. I am going to buy a moisture meter today...but still don't know what's going on..I am working today on getting the fallen tree leaves out of the boxes since this could be causing fungus as per someone's suggestion on here. Also someone wanted to see general garden pics, so those are at the end...thx

Frustration - Page 2 98ffb51c

Frustration - Page 2 902681ca

Frustration - Page 2 D8b61888

Frustration - Page 2 457df42d

Frustration - Page 2 51be20dc

Frustration - Page 2 164f5e70

Frustration - Page 2 D807738e
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 3/26/2012, 5:56 pm

Well I visited a feed and seed store in town today, and they had a guy there who is in charge of the gardening section. Everyone in the area recommended I talk to this guy. After looking at my pics, he seems to think it is an iron or potassium deficiency. So we are going to start with some fertilizer.

I know SFG is supposed to not need any type of fertilizing...but I'm getting pretty desperate. Maybe I've done something along the way that caused this, although I went by the book when it came to the MM.
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 3/29/2012, 10:39 am

So several days ago I followed a guys advice at a local feed store, used some Green Light 20-20-20 fertilizer, and after just a few days, the plants are doing 100% better. Leaves greening up, plants all the sudden growing like crazy, etc.

So obviously something went wrong with my MM? I'm not sure what happened, as I used both local stuff (llama poo and rabbit poo)...as well as store bought stuff (worm castings, Black Kow, composted chicken, cotton burr compost, turkey compost)...The llama and rabbit were not broken down, round droppings added to the MM.

I've done some research on here and saw where some of you recommend Tomato and Vegetable Allive products from GardensAlive.com I've ordered that, and will continue to treat the soil and plants.

I guess sometimes no matter what you do, nature tells you something different.
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/29/2012, 3:59 pm

Sometimes s*** happens. Or doesn't happen. Smile Most problems seem to be with inadequate compost for whatever reason. So you can only do what you can do. Looks like the problem is solved. If you are doing home compost you should be ok in the future.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/29/2012, 4:13 pm

You seem to have replaced the stuff you washed out by too much watering .. Your hubby is right ...let the beds dry out a bit .

It's a pity that in Mel's book the words of " You can't over water MM " are used for they are frequently taken out of context by a lot of people who fail to realize that he is talking of using a cup full of water to each plant when the plant needs it ....

Not as some would have ..... " give it a bath every day & night till you prematurely wash the nutrients out of the mix in next to no time & keep the roots absolutly sopping wet .

This last bit will also remove some of the vital air ( consisting of various elements in it not just oxygen ) that the bacteria need to work to break down the compost to make the humus that the plants feed on .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  rod champion 3/29/2012, 7:37 pm

plantoid wrote:You seem to have replaced the stuff you washed out by too much watering .. Your hubby is right ...let the beds dry out a bit .

It's a pity that in Mel's book the words of " You can't over water MM " are used for they are frequently taken out of context by a lot of people who fail to realize that he is talking of using a cup full of water to each plant when the plant needs it ....

Not as some would have ..... " give it a bath every day & night till you prematurely wash the nutrients out of the mix in next to no time & keep the roots absolutly sopping wet .

This last bit will also remove some of the vital air ( consisting of various elements in it not just oxygen ) that the bacteria need to work to break down the compost to make the humus that the plants feed on .

Yea I know Plantoid.. i am guilty of that one.. washing the nutients away.

being home alot these days makes me do too uch to the garden.. like over watering..
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Frustration - Page 2 Empty a question

Post  curio 3/29/2012, 7:40 pm

Interesting about watering too much washing nutrients away... what about a situation where there are days and days and DAYS of rain? How do you handle that so you don't have the same issue?
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/29/2012, 7:47 pm

Like a Star @ heaven Topdress with more compost is my solution. What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Frustration - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/29/2012, 8:33 pm

Also being my first year at SFGing I have the same concerns. I would like to have obtained the compost blend recomended, but had to use what I could find.

I also may have to supliment my SFG with fertilizer if things don't grow well. My opinion is composting is the most important part of SFGing....
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  rod champion 3/30/2012, 11:40 am

One thing I have noticed.. I have 20 Broccoli plants.. Most are strong and healthy.. But the several that are not , have some holds in ther leaves. makes me believe the health of the plant protects them..

The Garden of Eden man says bugs drown if they eat the leaves of his plants..the strong healthy ones have so much water in them, the bugs can't handle it.

Very interesting.
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  marietta mike 7/1/2012, 7:01 am

Frustration - Page 2 240315 This is my first year as well and i seem to have the opposite problem. The tomato plants one day are nice and full the nest they are yellow and droopy. The wife tells me not enough water. I tell her the instructions on the seed pack or in one of teh books i have says deep water once a week. Well i figured out that this is some general rule.

Here in GA i deep water every other day, and some of my bigger tomatos are atill splitting from not enough water! We got a couple days of rain here as well. All i did at the time was put down a thick layer of mulch to keep the ground from getting beat up and washed away. The plants will survive. I was thinking of covering them with a tarp to keep them safe but did not.

It does say that you can not water to much with MM. I think it is becaus the water washes right through like a sponge. When the ground is full it passes through so even though you watered alot yesterday you still need to water again today.

Just my thought on over watering. Embarassed

Good luck

Mike cheers
marietta mike
marietta mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/1/2012, 9:36 am

marietta mike wrote:
Here in GA i deep water every other day, and some of my bigger tomatos are atill splitting from not enough water!

Good luck

Mike cheers

Uh, I was under the impression that cracking/splitting results from the skin's inability to stretch properly with growth - some varieties are more prone to it than others - and is aggrevated by too much water (heavy rain or irrigation).

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 7/1/2012, 12:38 pm

This is my first year SFG and I used a few different types of compost but most were purchased from big box stores and in hindsight, were not good at all (in fact the leftover N'Rich, which is mostly bark now I realize, has been relegated to mulching only). It wasn't until I started using organic fertilizers that my garden stopped looking sickly and stunted and started to thrive. I went through a bag of Kellogg organic fertilizer first and then switched to Happy Frog Tomato & Vegetable when I found it locally. I've also used the Jobe's organic fertilizer spikes for vegetables in some of my containers.

Not ashamed at all to have deviated from The Book. Very Happy I am trying to make my own compost and source more locally but until then, the fertilizers have been doing a great job and I feel confident about the ingredients. I'm also happy that my plants are thriving!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 7/1/2012, 4:43 pm

Tomatoes split not so much from too little or to much water as inconsistent watering.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/1/2012, 10:27 pm

Good response CindyLou. I knew that but forgot and thought that it was too much water. You are right, it is inconsistent watering!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/2/2012, 7:08 am

Well, my one variety that has problems with cracking should do MUCH better this year then, because I am much more consistent with watering and general care of my garden. And that variety is one of the few volunteers I kept this year. I only know that because it is my only tomato that has already set a few eensy weensy fruits (1/2" and so adorable!).

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/2/2012, 12:37 pm

I too am frustrated. Looking at my garden this am, yellow, spindly peppers, same size as they were a month or so ago when I planted them, yet outside of my boxes are DARK GREEN peppers growing in gravel with no watering, mel's mix etc. Tiny Zucchini plants with 8 leaves, tiny, yet with flowers. watermelons yellow, small, not even to the trellis yet, planted 2-3 months ago, in the square next to it, spaghetti squash that is doing "OK", but the leaves are yellow and not very robust looking. I have some tomatoes that are doing great, but in the next square, just so so. I have a "volunteer" garden in my front yard, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, TONS of marigolds that is bursting at the seams, not in SFG. I water when I remember. I'll try and post a picture of it, its' really pretty. I am hoping to get my replacement SFG soil soon, and try it out. My sweet husband will have to re-empty the beds to put in the new stuff if/when we get it. Sorry for the rant, but I wanna get my garden going!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/2/2012, 12:58 pm

southern gardener wrote:I too am frustrated. Looking at my garden this am, yellow, spindly peppers, same size as they were a month or so ago when I planted them, yet outside of my boxes are DARK GREEN peppers growing in gravel with no watering, mel's mix etc. Tiny Zucchini plants with 8 leaves, tiny, yet with flowers. watermelons yellow, small, not even to the trellis yet, planted 2-3 months ago, in the square next to it, spaghetti squash that is doing "OK", but the leaves are yellow and not very robust looking. I have some tomatoes that are doing great, but in the next square, just so so. I have a "volunteer" garden in my front yard, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, TONS of marigolds that is bursting at the seams, not in SFG. I water when I remember. I'll try and post a picture of it, its' really pretty. I am hoping to get my replacement SFG soil soon, and try it out. My sweet husband will have to re-empty the beds to put in the new stuff if/when we get it. Sorry for the rant, but I wanna get my garden going!!

I will be borrowing advice that I remember others giving. There is a chance your MM did not get mixed up enough so in one square there is plenty of good compost (that plant is doing great) and the next square there is not as much compost and the plant is not doing well. I think also getting on a regular watering schedule (depending on rain or not) would be a good idea. I think also when you get more good compost you top dress your plants now. When the season is over, you can replace the soil you want to, or depending on what you used as compost, etc., you may be able to just add what you didn't the first time and make sure your sweet hubby mixes it all together really well. This is the place to rant, how else will you (and the rest of us) get answers. Others more knowledgeable than me will come along and also give advice.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/2/2012, 1:08 pm

Thank for for the support Tricia, we spent a LOT of money on the pre-made Mel's mix after doing it "ourselves" and it not working out. The mix looks well mixed, but obviously there are issues with the nutrition. our frustration is doing it "right" with the "real thing" and getting these results after all that work and $$$$$$$$$$$$. We are supposed to be getting replacement soil from the makers of the Mel's Mix, but are still "patiently" waiting. Rolling Eyes
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/2/2012, 1:28 pm

Sorry for spelling your name wrong CindiLou!

Southern Gardener, that is so frustrating, all your time and money! It will get there, keep bugging them (you probably already are). From what I have read there have been others with the problem of companies saying they have Mel's mix and it is so inferior to the quality it should be. I am sure there are some good companies out there but when you get the bad ones, what a waste!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/2/2012, 1:35 pm

oh boy, having a heck of a time posting a picture!! HOPEFULLY here is a pic of our front "volunteer garden".
http://mail.aol.com/36542-111/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=29948600&folder=NewMail&partId=1

southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 7/2/2012, 3:00 pm

Goosegirl wrote:Well, my one variety that has problems with cracking should do MUCH better this year then, because I am much more consistent with watering and general care of my garden. And that variety is one of the few volunteers I kept this year. I only know that because it is my only tomato that has already set a few eensy weensy fruits (1/2" and so adorable!).

GG

Some varieties are more prone to splitting. Heirlooms are prone to it. I just go with the flow lol..if it is split, pick it...if it isnt quite ripe put it in the window.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 7/2/2012, 5:32 pm

CindiLou wrote:...
Some varieties are more prone to splitting. Heirlooms are prone to it. I just go with the flow lol..if it is split, pick it...if it isnt quite ripe put it in the window.
+1
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/2/2012, 8:51 pm

Yep, my Heirlooms are splitting more than the hybrids.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/2/2012, 9:47 pm

My splitter is an heirloom cross. The original heirloom did not have cracking issues, but the volunteers I got from its cross-pollinated progeny looked perfect in every way except every single one of them split from top to tip (avatar shows it just before ripening and splitting). And only that variety - all the other cross-pollinated mutts I grew that year were just fine. Somebody has a weak gene.....

This year since my seedling starts survived I will have the original heirloom again instead of having to rely on volunteers for my entire crop!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next