Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Frustration Toplef10Frustration 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Frustration I22gcj10Frustration 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Frustration Toplef10Frustration 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Frustration I22gcj10Frustration 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Frustration

+19
CindiLou
Coelli
Goosegirl
marietta mike
rod champion
plantoid
Chopper
Lavender Debs
curio
walshevak
llama momma
shannon1
camprn
snibb
floyd1440
Furbalsmom
H_TX_2
UnderTheBlackWalnut
TejasTerry
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Frustration Empty Frustration

Post  TejasTerry 3/23/2012, 4:29 pm

I'm pretty frustrated. As I've mentioned before, this is my first garden. I'm in the Texas Hill Country where we traditionally have hot, dry weather.

I have several boxes with tomatoes, squash, peppers...etc. 5 days ago we got 3 inches of rain, and it came down really hard. In the last couple of days, I see curled up leaves on squash/tomato plants, etc, and from my research, I see it can be anything from too much , water, compost too rich or hot, mildew, fungus, bugs... . the list goes on and on.

I know SFG says you can't over water with MM....but my husband says after that much rain, we need to let everything "dry" out... Because I'm new at this, when I push a finger into the soil, it seems moist...not wet, but a little moist. But after digging up a little in an empty square, it seems dry. Could it really be that dry, 5 days after getting a 3 inch rain?

At this point, I don't know why my plants are starting to look like crap. I don't know if I'm over-watering, under-watering, or some fungus is taking over....

Oh and here's another thing.... Yesterday morning we woke up and several pepper plants had been chomped on, down to the soil. We've been using Bonide Pyrethrin Insect Spray, which is supposed to be organic, or so I'm told, because a week or so ago, I found spider mites on the plants.

How do I know what the problem is? I look at the leaves, try to identify the issue, and go online to research, and there are a million answer to why my leaves are curling up? What a Face
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160

Back to top Go down

Frustration Empty Re: Frustration

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 3/23/2012, 4:34 pm

Hi Terry!

I'm so sorry you've had such problems with your plants! Sad I'm a total newbie to any type of gardening (just started last year) and I've had good experience with the forum gardening experts by posting a picture of what the plants look like. If you can, could you post a picture of the plants so they can see?

You can find directions in this thread:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t129-how-to-post-a-picture-located-on-your-computer

thanks

UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 3/23/2012, 4:51 pm

Last year we got a heavy rain shortly after I planted my garden and my little transplants really took a beating. They eventually came back and grew just fine. Last weekend I planted everything for my summer garden and then Tuesday we were supposed to get heavy rains. Luckily I already had my trellis already set up so I used that and tied an old bed sheet over the top of my new plants. Look at it this way at least nest year you will not suffer from the same things that you suffered from this year. Get some BT (bacillus thuringiensis) to take care of the caterpillars. A single caterpillar can kill a small plant in only one night.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/23/2012, 5:04 pm

Tejas Terry wrote: know SFG says you can't over water with MM....but my husband says after that much rain, we need to let everything "dry" out... Because I'm new at this, when I push a finger into the soil, it seems moist...not wet, but a little moist. But after digging up a little in an empty square, it seems dry. Could it really be that dry, 5 days after getting a 3 inch rain?

If your square is dry, it needs water. Perhaps the MM did not get thoroughly moistened when you originally mixed it. If it was not really damp all the way through in the beginning, that 3 inch rain may have run off instead of soaking in. It is so hard to moisten MM all the way the first time. Once moist, it will absorb water well.

At this point, I don't know why my plants are starting to look like crap. I don't know if I'm over-watering, under-watering, or some fungus is taking over....

Oh and here's another thing.... Yesterday morning we woke up and several pepper plants had been chomped on, down to the soil. We've been using Bonide Pyrethrin Insect Spray, which is supposed to be organic, or so I'm told, because a week or so ago, I found spider mites on the plants.

I would not use any pest control product, organic or not, unless I had determined what the pest is and what it responds to best. Sometimes, a hard spray with plain water can remive certain pests and there is no need for pesticide at all.

How do I know what the problem is? I look at the leaves, try to identify the issue, and go online to research, and there are a million answer to why my leaves are curling up?

One of your best resources is the Master Gardeners from your State University Extension Service. They can verify if you have pests, and what type they are. Look them up on line, then call them. In our area, the Master Gardeners have a tent at the Farmer's Market, plus one is available twice a week at our community garden.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 3/23/2012, 5:20 pm

When I added the MM to the boxes, I'd add an inch or 2 of MM, water until it was soaked, then added another layer, watered, etc. I'm not sure what else I could do. I followed the book to the T. 5 composts, coarse V and fluffed peat moss. Here are some pics...the first 2 are of my measly little squash leaves curling up, and the others are of tomato plants. One thing I have noticed is that the one tomato plant that I bought at Lowe's is doing very well. My others I started from seedlings, up potted to MM, 2 inches under grow lights until they were about 6 inches, hardened off, etc. These plants are the ones having problems. But that Lowe's tomato plant is going strong, even has 3 blooms on it.

Frustration 2683898a

Frustration Ae14f6a9

Frustration D2259820

Frustration E0f1e49e
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/23/2012, 8:44 pm

Each part of the country is different and perhaps your best source for your problems are community gardens or some from of state farm or agway to answer your question.

Mel's book is a good guide but one must temper it with your conditions

Like your pictures and maybe someone can spot something to help you,Frustration 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb 3/23/2012, 11:08 pm

I certainly cant tell what that is but I can tell you one thing-you have something eating your stuff! I'm no expert on bugs and critters. If you look at that second picture something just took a huge bit out of the leaves. If it were me I would start by making sure Im not watering at night. Then, I would go out at night with a flashlight and see if you have snails or slugs. Your neighbors might think something's wrong with you but that's ok. They think that about me all the time! If you find snails and slugs, break out the salt shaker. A little shake will do it...I don't know if that's the dreaded squash bug-it seems a little early for that based on the size of the plant. But maybe someone else could chime in on that one...good luck though-I hope you catch 'em
snibb
snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 108

http://thewealthyearth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/23/2012, 11:18 pm

Are you watering at soil level or showering the plants? Have you had hail recently? I would guess these little guys will bounce back.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Frustration WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/24/2012, 4:39 am

I noticed the rabbit poo what other composts are you useing in your mix? Adding a layer of worm castings on top and watering it well in could only help. i do that some times for a pick me up with my perenial vegies as I can never mix in more compost right into the MM. I pick the leaves out of my boxes too as oak leaves well any leaves really can harbor insects and dieseases. You may want to remove them too.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/24/2012, 7:17 am

shannon1 wrote:I noticed the rabbit poo what other composts are you useing in your mix? Adding a layer of worm castings on top and watering it well in could only help. i do that some times for a pick me up with my perenial vegies as I can never mix in more compost right into the MM. I pick the leaves out of my boxes too as oak leaves well any leaves really can harbor insects and dieseases. You may want to remove them too.

Were do you purchase worm casings?

Frustration 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/24/2012, 7:39 am

Floyd

I have seen worm casts for sale in my local nursery. You can buy online too. So far I have seen it from 1.30 a pound to $5.00 a pound. I would try a worm farmer nearby as this article suggests. It also talks a little about pricing rip-offs.

http://buywormcastings.com/worm-farm-bin-how-to-buy-worm-castings/where-to-find-prices-red-wiggler-earthworm-composting-buy-investment-benefits.html
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 3/24/2012, 8:00 am

We did not have hail damage, but that 3 inch rain came down really hard. I knew it would be hard on the plants.

I have rabbit poo, llama poo, composted cow manure (Black Kow), composted chicken and turkey manure from Lady Bug, cotton burr compost, and mushroom compost, with some worm castings thrown in here and there for good measure. From what I understand, none of these are too hot.

I am hand watering and trying to keep the water off the leaves, but that doesn't always work when trying to water around 1 square to get to another.

Late last evening we mixed up some neem oil with a few drops of dish soap, and sprayed everything down. Tonight I will go out in the dark and "hunt me some snails"...

I sent my pics to a friend here who grew up on a farm, and seems to think I am over-watering and I am having a fungus problem too. If that is so, then the neem oil should help.

I've spent so much money on this garden, I really need to find out what I'm doing wrong. The whole watering thing has me stumped, because from what I've read, plants tend to look the same if you are over-watering or under-watering...so I have no clue. I just assumed since it was "Mels Mix" you couldn't over-water, and here in Texas, things dry out really fast. Mad
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/24/2012, 8:06 am

Terry, can you post a wider view of the garden, there may be some other clues that we could pick up on. As far as watering, one of these may be very helpful. At least I find them to be. It gets the water where you want it and they usually have a flow regulating valve on the stem.

watering wand
Frustration Watering-wand-003

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Frustration WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 3/24/2012, 8:18 am

That is exactly what I am using to hand water. I try to set it where it doesn't splash too much.

I will post a wider pic of the garden this evening. We are out all day today, so won't have time till later.

Thanks for your help everyone!
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/24/2012, 10:41 am

Maybe it's time to invest in a moisture meter. Got mine at one of the box stores because we were not sure the "pond" beds were wicking properly. It was funny to note the moisture level at the various depths.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 3/24/2012, 10:54 am

I don't think this is slug or snail damage. They normally leave quite a "rounded" damage area, and not the small ragged holes like you have (unless you have a group of baby slugs doing the damage) It does look like something is munching on the plants though.
What we use for slug control is a mixture of ammonia and water in a 50:50 ratio. We spray the slugs/snails and the ammonia acts like the salt, but without leaving salt residue in the soil. The ammonia residue breaks down to nitrogen in the soil. If you have shaded areas, like boards or rocks/bricks around the beds, lift them to check for slugs/snails and pill bugs (look like armadillos). All three will damage plants, particularly young leaves.
If you DO have a slug issue, the easiest thing to do is to install a continuous strip of copper tape around the edge of the box. Snails won't cross it, as it gives them a shock. If you do this, just make sure there are no leaves or other item that they can use as a bridge across the barrier.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/24/2012, 11:27 am

The copper tape is a myth, unless you electrify it.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 3/24/2012, 9:07 pm

A moisture meter is an excellent idea. I will look into that this week...
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/25/2012, 12:32 am

copper tape may be a myth but I discovered last year they won't cross the prickly side of hook and latch(zelcro).Twisted Evil
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/25/2012, 7:14 am

ooooooooooooh good one! Very Happy

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/25/2012, 8:01 am

shannon1 wrote:copper tape may be a myth but I discovered last year they won't cross the prickly side of hook and latch(zelcro).

This opens up a whole new realm of how to get a poly cover open and resealed. Thanks Shannon! I love dual purpose.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/25/2012, 8:05 am

Lavender Debs wrote:
shannon1 wrote:copper tape may be a myth but I discovered last year they won't cross the prickly side of hook and latch(zelcro).

This opens up a whole new realm of how to get a poly cover open and resealed. Thanks Shannon! I love dual purpose.
OMG! DEB good thinking so early in the morning! Frustration 679265

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb 3/25/2012, 10:53 am

camprn...great picture-you're totally correct about that-it doesn't work. I know, I was one who spent a lot of money lining all my boxes with the stuff a few years ago and it was a complete waste. I don't know how this myth got started but it's been around for a while...

Last edited by snibb on 3/25/2012, 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispell)
snibb
snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 108

http://thewealthyearth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/25/2012, 2:28 pm

shannon1 wrote:copper tape may be a myth but I discovered last year they won't cross the prickly side of hook and latch(zelcro).Twisted Evil

Are you sure? I am not doubting, just wondering of you have witnessed this. They do come with glue backs I know, although for outside I think some staples or nails may be in order.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/25/2012, 11:56 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:

That was just how I made the discovery. I used the hook and latch tape but sadly it did not stick well to the box or insect barrier but it did keep the snails out after I nailed it to the box.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next