Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 Toplef10plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 I22gcj10plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 Toplef10plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 I22gcj10plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes

+38
sanderson
Goosegirl
FamilyGardening
tramman
deriter
Triciasgarden
johnsonjlj
Nonna.PapaVino
minervalong
givvmistamps
CCgirl75
Furbalsmom
kbb964
HereIGrowAgain
CindiLou
kittykat
Too Tall Tomatoes
dianamarie03
yolos
Chopper
morganfam7
shannon1
daryl.weaver
boffer
lisaphoto
AvaDGardner
mageice3
sfg4uKim
Lindacol
walshevak
Luci Dawson
CharlesB
RoOsTeR
gwennifer
Tuxdad
quiltbea
plantoid
B maier
42 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 Empty Re: Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes

Post  johnsonjlj 1/4/2013, 3:27 pm

My husband and I used 6 of these to make my mother two 8' raised garden beds last weekend. They are made of 2x4 pressure treated lumber with 2 supports going across the bottom of each of the tubs, with the tops of the tubs 30" off the ground. My mother is ecstatic!! I can't get the photo to show up here, but here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnsonjlj/8346761104/in/photostream/
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 Empty Re: Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes

Post  yolos 1/4/2013, 3:38 pm

Wow, those beds look well built and sturdy. This year i intend to make something like that, but with just one plastic box and put it on wheels to move it inside the garage when it gets too cold. Thanks for posting that picture.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 1/4/2013, 4:15 pm

johnsonjlj that looks fantastic! I'm glad to see you supported the bottoms, as another member reported that hanging them just by their rims did not end up being enough to support the weight and the sides began to bow in and a corner cracked.

Thanks so much for sharing the picture!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 1/4/2013, 9:11 pm

Beautiful garden Johnsonjlj. I think if I had those raised beds I would never use my other sfg beds! Great job on the framework for those plastic boxes.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/4/2013, 10:31 pm

So has anyone looked at the bottom of these tubs to see the stamp showing what type of plastic it is. These look really good and I very much like the idea of working at waist level instead of bending over or sitting/kneeling on the ground. I can see two rows of these with the cattle panels bowed over the top and then I have my green house with easy work.
deriter
deriter

Male Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/8/2013, 12:46 pm

Those of you that have purchased these boxes, have you looked at the stamp on them to see what the code is on them?
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/8/2013, 5:15 pm

mine is full of MM and garlic. Can't check

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 1/8/2013, 6:20 pm

deriter, I did the research for you. All the information you needed was on-line in the product descriptions:

• The Home Depot cement mixing tubs are stated to be made from PVC. This is a toxic plastic and should not come in contact with food items.

• The Lowe's cement mixing tubs are made from HDPE. This is a safe plastic that is not known to transmit any chemicals into food or drinks and will not leach any toxic chemicals into soil or water.

Hope that helps.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/8/2013, 6:26 pm

Thank you very much gwennifer! This is good info and you deserve a reward or some sort of recognition on a job well done. So Lowes it is!
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Post  tramman 1/8/2013, 8:27 pm

Mine says 5/PP
tramman
tramman

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/8/2013, 9:44 pm

I bought mine at Home Depot. They are not stamped with anything and the label does not say what plastic they are made from. I searched on-line and as gwennifer said, they are made of PVC. I have two of them that I have not used so I can return these for a refund.

I also searched lowes and theirs say High Density Polyethylene. I assume that means HDPE.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 Empty RE: CHEAP PLASTIC 2X3 BOXES

Post  deriter 1/8/2013, 10:22 pm

Check givvmistamps link on page 5:

HDPE (High Density Polyethylene): SAFER
Common Uses: Milk Jugs, Plastic Bags, Yogurt Cups
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/9/2013, 1:46 am

gwennifer wrote:Hey everyone,

Remember the cool garden cart boffer made using these cement mixer tubs?
plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 Dscn1511

Well I recently heard from him and sad to say, the tubs have not proven able to handle the weight when being supported by their rims only. Here's a quote, shared with his permission:
After a month of use, one tub developed a crack in the corner, so I put support under the bottom of it. All summer, I've been watching the sides, of both the 2x3 and the smaller size, begin to slowly bow inward, so that just the corners were carrying the weight.
His findings go along with the reviews I saw for these tubs online at both Home Depot and Lowes (basically people saying they cracked and weren't built like they used to be). He still believes the tubs to be a worthwhile purchase, but you simply need to plan on supporting the bottoms if using them in a raised fashion.

Lets hear from others who purchased these tubs. How are yours doing?

we are thinking about building a couple table tops for the kids using these tubs.....thanks for the info on needing more support Very Happy

and please tell BOFFER we said Hello Very Happy

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/11/2013, 8:18 am

I am still thinking of building one of these. A couple of thoughts or questions I have. What do you figure one of these boxes filled would weigh? And what are your thoughts of needing these anchored so that a storm or strong wind wouldn't knock it over? Hate to lose the mm!
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/11/2013, 12:56 pm

My neighbor and I together can move a fully loaded tub and my handyman moved it by himself after harvest, but with a strain. Mine withstood a hurricane resting on top of 2 rubbermaid bins filled with compost.

Sweet Potatos Sep2012
[url=https://servimg.com/view/15939699/731]plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 Dscn1110[/url

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/11/2013, 1:04 pm

For what it's worth - I went to Lowes today to purchase one of the safe HDPE cement tubs. Unfortunately the ones at my Lowes store are made by the same manufacturer of the ones sold at Home Depot. (Centrex Plastics LLC centrexplastics.com) I went to their website and they do not mention the type of plastic used in the manufacture. There is nothing stamped on the bottom so I assume it is not HDPE. I am assuming the tubs sold in the store are not the same as displayed on Lowes website because the website mentions the HDPE. On Home Depots website, they say these are made from PVC. I have e-mailed the manufacturer to find out what type of plastic is used because the label on the tubs does not mention this.

I followed the link on page 5 of this thread so I realize some plastic leaches various chemicals. But do the plants absorb these chemicals and transfer them to our food. I could maybe understand not planting root vegetables in one, but what about other types of vegetables.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/11/2013, 1:30 pm

When I asked if anchoring was needed, I was thinking of having them in or on a table type of frame about 30" high. My thinking was that being off the ground like the one displayed like what johnsonjlj built of page 6 might be at the winds mercy.

That is somewhat disappointing that Lowes maybe has the pvc type also. Please advise what you find out from the manufacturer yolos please. I would think the above ground plants would be alright, but the root crops would be the ones to be concerned with. But we may need to listen to others for their input as I don't know if a plant absorbs the chemicals or not or whether it is just in the soil.
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/12/2013, 4:00 pm

I found some online. Maybe you have to order ..ship to store maybe?

HomeDepot

Lowes

Menards

Menards has a smaller one that is smoothsided
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/17/2013, 5:17 pm

Well I finally have my cement tub tabletop SFG garden.  I let my girls pick their favorite colors to paint them.  Oh my!  Too much fun.plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 Tablet10
I did the different heights just for fun, but it's turning out kind of handy too - putting taller growing things in the lowest table for instance, and in the tallest one I planted cucumbers and mini pumpkins that I will let vine over the edge.  

It wasn't my intention for these to be on the patio when I cooked up the idea, but now that they are there I like it!  Patio was too small to use for anything else anyway and I've enjoyed just stepping out my back door to pop in some seeds or to spy for sprouts.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/17/2013, 5:59 pm

Gwennifer - LOVE the colors!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/17/2013, 7:00 pm

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 Dscn1316

Sure beats my cinderblocks.  plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 3170584802

kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/17/2013, 8:33 pm

The colors are growing on me; even the pink!  plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 3170584802

It looks to me like it would be pretty simple to add boxes on the bottom, and double your space!  Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/17/2013, 8:40 pm

Gwennifer,  Absolutely love them.  good job!  

I painted some old redwood barbeque tables and benches that color of purple and a lighter version of the turquoise.  I was thinking about a spot of pink here and there and I like your shade of pink.  What brand and  color?

It looks like you used 1 x 4's.  What are the heights?  I know someone out there will want to make one.  Or two.  Looks like they can be accessed by physically challenged??  Can be adapted to all kinds of situations.

Oh, hi Boffer, I was thinking seedling trays on the bottom, even wrapping in 4 mil plastic for early seedlings.  Christmas lights for warmth on frosty nights.

Gwennifer,  Have you started something here??

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/17/2013, 8:45 pm

sanderson wrote:...I was thinking seedling trays on the bottom, even wrapping in 4 mil plastic for early seedlings.  Christmas lights for warmth on frosty nights...

I like that idea too. You could have fresh lettuce well into winter.

Or put table drapes on them, and each kiddo could have a hidey hole!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/17/2013, 8:56 pm

Goosegirl wrote:Gwennifer - LOVE the colors!

GG
+1

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 4 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next