Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 Toplef10plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 I22gcj10plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 Toplef10plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 I22gcj10plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes

+38
sanderson
Goosegirl
FamilyGardening
tramman
deriter
Triciasgarden
johnsonjlj
Nonna.PapaVino
minervalong
givvmistamps
CCgirl75
Furbalsmom
kbb964
HereIGrowAgain
CindiLou
kittykat
Too Tall Tomatoes
dianamarie03
yolos
Chopper
morganfam7
shannon1
daryl.weaver
boffer
lisaphoto
AvaDGardner
mageice3
sfg4uKim
Lindacol
walshevak
Luci Dawson
CharlesB
RoOsTeR
gwennifer
Tuxdad
quiltbea
plantoid
B maier
42 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 Empty Re: Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/1/2012, 4:45 pm

That's what I call slick. What a Face
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 Empty Re: Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes

Post  kittykat 4/1/2012, 5:16 pm

That's amazing! I feel so woefully inadequate... LOL

Great job!

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 582897
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/1/2012, 6:00 pm

Hubby dearest! I have an addition to the honeydo list! plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 889526

I so want one.... plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 1280598131 even though I have enough beds for now!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 4/1/2012, 7:10 pm

Oh for goodness sake. It even has hoops already!

I want to hate you boffer, but only because I'm jealous. I sit here and think about all the stuff I'd like to do - you just go out and do it. (Although I have finally tried the hard boiled egg trick a few times and haven't had any luck yet).

Well I went and looked at the tubs the next time I was at Lowes. The large 2'x3' ones really are fairly straight on the sides. Sloped a bit, but barely. The smaller ones that were like six bucks were quite sloped on the two narrow ends. I wouldn't consider those at all for the kits. By the way, the 2'x3' measurement is the outside dimension of the tub. There's about a one inch lip all around, making the inside measurement closer to 22"x34".

Portable beds would be great for demonstration gardens.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HereIGrowAgain 4/10/2012, 2:25 pm

Wow! That gives all new meaning to the term "garden cart." I am so jealous. You can put that where ever the plants need to be. No "not getting enough sun" with that.
HereIGrowAgain
HereIGrowAgain

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/10/2012, 2:29 pm

Boffer you set the bar really high with that cart!
you rock
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/10/2012, 11:19 pm

ARGGGH

I can't believe you did it Shocked and with such great style too!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 4/11/2012, 10:16 am

I purchased two of the smaller ones and planted one raspberry per box, thinking as they aged, they would fill in the box. One raspberry shriveled up and died, and the other one looks pretty much the same as it did when I bought it. I am leaving the dead one in to see if it makes it, thinking the roots still may be good. Not sure if the trays were a good idea or not for those, they may not be deep enough.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/11/2012, 1:48 pm

Thanks all. I've been keeping the cart in my shop at night and rolling it out onto the carport during the day. Everything has sprouted much faster than I expected. cheers

Cindy, I'm surprised you haven't put a box on one of your husband's flat bed train cars!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  CCgirl75 4/11/2012, 2:32 pm

What an inspiration! You thought of everything! plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 27650
CCgirl75
CCgirl75

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 4/11/2012, 2:57 pm

Maybe this will give you some advantage over your godawful (occasionally) weather. Now you need a grow light setup. Get those tomatoes and corn started early with enough light hours to thrive!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/11/2012, 3:35 pm

funny post but oh so true! Actually I just got done up-potting some peppers.

Those of us in cloudy climates are familiar with a problem called SADS-seasonal affective disorder syndrome. After weeks/months of gray skies, we get depressed. Big time. My wife spent ridiculous money on a full-spectrum light assembly that supposedly simulates sunlight, and I'm supposed to sit in front of it 30 minutes a day. Well, that lasted about 3 days. The glare is so bad that I can't do anything but sit there. The light is just sitting there getting dusty, so I'm going to set it up over the peppers-maybe they'll enjoy it!

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/11/2012, 3:40 pm

boffer wrote: plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 641297 but oh so true! Actually I just got done up-potting some peppers.

Those of us in cloudy climates are familiar with a problem called SADS-seasonal affective disorder syndrome. After weeks/months of gray skies, we get depressed. Big time. My wife spent ridiculous money on a full-spectrum light assembly that supposedly simulates sunlight, and I'm supposed to sit in front of it 30 minutes a day. Well, that lasted about 3 days. The glare is so bad that I can't do anything but sit there. The light is just sitting there getting dusty, so I'm going to set it up over the peppers-maybe they'll enjoy it!

SADS is the biggest reason I left the NW (Seattle region) when I was 19! I couldn't take it any more, so I moved to the South and I've been here ever since...though I've moved around a bit: Raleigh, NC; Virginia Beach, then Richmond, VA, then Western NC, and now (because of husband's employment) I'm in North FL. The heat is difficult to take, but at least I have no SADS to deal with!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 Empty re: cheap plastic box

Post  minervalong 4/11/2012, 5:38 pm

After years of me acting like a very grumpy bear because I wasn't hibernating, the greenhouse is going up this year. The children call it the lizard house because the hope is by basking in the sun in the winter, my mood will be sunnier. One thing for sure, my tomato plants will be, I don't think they like the in and out and in and out that has been going on these last few days as our temps plummeted.
minervalong
minervalong

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/13/2012, 12:19 am

lisaphoto wrote:I purchased two of the smaller ones and planted one raspberry per box, thinking as they aged, they would fill in the box. One raspberry shriveled up and died, and the other one looks pretty much the same as it did when I bought it. I am leaving the dead one in to see if it makes it, thinking the roots still may be good. Not sure if the trays were a good idea or not for those, they may not be deep enough.

Lisa, have you considered cutting off the wilted/dead greens?

When I have something I replant something and it faints (not just shock), I remove the all the established leaves. This gives it a chance to establish the roots, then grow new greens. Supporting a bunch of greens can be too stressful on a transplant.

I've done it this month with radishes & beets that were picked too young, and a fennel I transplanted. So far, working like a charm, but all of them are root crops.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/13/2012, 1:34 am

Should we be concerned about chemicals leaching from the plastic and into the media/veggies?
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/13/2012, 3:02 am

Ava, that depends on what the plastic is made of. Some plastics are safer than others...and of course some should never be used for food/beverage/growing. Look on the bottom of the container you're considering to find the resin number (usually referred to as a recycling code even though most plastics can not be recycled in most areas). I found a guide to plastics HERE that will help you decide whether you want to risk using a plastic container as a soil/veggie container.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 4/13/2012, 9:44 am

Ava, there aren't any greens to cut off I don't think. It completely shriveled up. The main stem is still there. How do I know if the plant is dead? I may be able to return it (bought at big lots)
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/13/2012, 10:01 am

Lisa, it sounds like the plant will need some time to recover from shock. Since the leaves shriveled, have they fallen off? If not, go ahead and trim them off. If they're still attached the plant might try to keep them alive instead of saving all it's energy for new growth. Also, if the stem still seems okay...pliant, not shriveling or brittle...and if the root system still looks healthy (perhaps you could try to gently uncover a bit of it to take a peek) there's a decent chance it will come back. Some things just freak out about being moved around, sort of like the way a ficus will drop most of it's leaves when it gets relocated, even when you haven't repotted it. Finicky plants can do disturbing things, but they often manage to survive anyway...what I like to refer to as the tenacity of life. Very Happy
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/13/2012, 5:48 pm

lisaphoto wrote:Ava, there aren't any greens to cut off I don't think. It completely shriveled up. The main stem is still there. How do I know if the plant is dead? I may be able to return it (bought at big lots)

+1 to Michelle!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 Empty Update!

Post  gwennifer 1/2/2013, 12:42 pm

Hey everyone,

Remember the cool garden cart boffer made using these cement mixer tubs?
plastic tub bed on wheels - Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 3 Dscn1511

Well I recently heard from him and sad to say, the tubs have not proven able to handle the weight when being supported by their rims only. Here's a quote, shared with his permission:
After a month of use, one tub developed a crack in the corner, so I put support under the bottom of it. All summer, I've been watching the sides, of both the 2x3 and the smaller size, begin to slowly bow inward, so that just the corners were carrying the weight.
His findings go along with the reviews I saw for these tubs online at both Home Depot and Lowes (basically people saying they cracked and weren't built like they used to be). He still believes the tubs to be a worthwhile purchase, but you simply need to plan on supporting the bottoms if using them in a raised fashion.

Lets hear from others who purchased these tubs. How are yours doing?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/2/2013, 12:49 pm

Mine are doing fine so far. Grew sweet potatos this summer and have garlic in it right now. Raised it up on 4 cinderblocks. My son used his for lettuce in the shade of the house during the early fall and has kale in it right now. His is flat on the ground.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 1/2/2013, 12:55 pm

walshevak wrote: Raised it up on 4 cinderblocks.

Just to be clear, the bottom of your tub is sitting on the cinderblocks, right? So it's like being flat on the ground basically...
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 1/2/2013, 8:28 pm

We put three of the concrete mixing tubs on the floor of the greenhouse and attempted to grow: Sikkim cucumbers, Asian melons and okra. Only the cucumbers did well. It's possible the okra needed soil deeper than the 6-7 inches in the tubs for its taproot to develop correctly. Caveat: these are sitting on the floor. In two to three weeks, they'll be moved up onto the table tops in said greenhouse (still supported), soil will be amended and they'll be planted with cold weather crops: lettuce, mache, spinach, Batavian endive, and anything else I think I can get away with. Nonna

And tell Boffer Hi and we miss him.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/3/2013, 6:56 pm

gwennifer wrote:
walshevak wrote: Raised it up on 4 cinderblocks.

Just to be clear, the bottom of your tub is sitting on the cinderblocks, right? So it's like being flat on the ground basically...

One at each corner.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next