Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Toplef10Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 I22gcj10Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Toplef10Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 I22gcj10Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes

+38
sanderson
Goosegirl
FamilyGardening
tramman
deriter
Triciasgarden
johnsonjlj
Nonna.PapaVino
minervalong
givvmistamps
CCgirl75
Furbalsmom
kbb964
HereIGrowAgain
CindiLou
kittykat
Too Tall Tomatoes
dianamarie03
yolos
Chopper
morganfam7
shannon1
daryl.weaver
boffer
lisaphoto
AvaDGardner
mageice3
sfg4uKim
Lindacol
walshevak
Luci Dawson
CharlesB
RoOsTeR
gwennifer
Tuxdad
quiltbea
plantoid
B maier
42 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Empty Re: Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes

Post  gwennifer 6/18/2013, 1:22 am

Thanks everyone! The colors have certainly grown on me (if you can't beat 'em - join 'em!) and I'm thinking I need a peach colored one next!

So my husband implemented my design concept for me (what a guy!). I wanted them built from 1x3's but he came home with 2x4's. Then he also added the extra bracing on the bottom which I thought was ugly (and as I suspected would happen, my youngest climbs up on them constantly). Now that the beds are filled and the MM is fully saturated, I'm thankful hubby went with the beefier construction. I can no longer lift up one side by myself, as I did earlier to level the turquoise bed.

So as-is, the beds certainly are wheelchair accessible. If I end up laying some fence boards across those bottom rails so I can put some seedling flats down, they wouldn't be. The heights are 38", 33" and 28". The pink color is by Glidden and it's called Watermelon something - unfortunately the rest of the color name did not print on the label. The next word starts with 'Sm'... Sorry about that.

Hidey-hole! Ha! I only just learned that term when my mom got a dog a couple of years ago and I keep hearing it again now. Too funny. Yeah, they could hang out under there so long as I haven't just watered!

Kay, your cinderblock beds grow things just as well, as you well know! And far less maintenance - I'm already dreading what these are going to look like by next year.

So my husband thinks that letting things vine down the side, the weight of the plant when it's bearing will cause the vine to pull itself out of that friable MM. Any opinions on that? Guess we'll see. Same with how well those giant tomato cages will work.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/18/2013, 7:44 am

Lookin good! cheers

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/18/2013, 5:44 pm

gwennifer wrote:Well I finally have my cement tub tabletop SFG garden.  I let my girls pick their favorite colors to paint them.  Oh my!  Too much fun.Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Tablet10
I did the different heights just for fun, but it's turning out kind of handy too - putting taller growing things in the lowest table for instance, and in the tallest one I planted cucumbers and mini pumpkins that I will let vine over the edge.  

It wasn't my intention for these to be on the patio when I cooked up the idea, but now that they are there I like it!  Patio was too small to use for anything else anyway and I've enjoyed just stepping out my back door to pop in some seeds or to spy for sprouts.

Are you sure it was for your three girls Gwinnifer ? It looks more like table tops for the three bears to me Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/18/2013, 5:58 pm

plantoid wrote:Are you sure it was for your three girls Gwinnifer ? It looks more like table tops for the three bears to me Laughing
darn funny Good one Dave!  That's actually extra funny to me because I often refer to myself as Goldilocks since I moved from Alaska (too cold) to Arizona (too hot) to Washington (just right).
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/18/2013, 9:25 pm

Gwennifer - could you post a pic of the underside of one of the stands?  I just need to see the bracing for under the plastic tray so I can steal see the design!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/19/2013, 1:54 am

Very nice! sunny family-projects. Everything you do is just kewl! Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/19/2013, 1:43 pm

sanderson, the color of this pink table is Watermelon Smoothie by Glidden.  I sent you a PM if you'd like for me to send you the color swatch from Home Depot.Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Tomato12

Here is the best I could do to get a shot of the underside.  Wish I'd thought to take a picture before the bins went in.  I can actually see from the picture that the bins are bending between each 2x4 with the weight of the MM.  We thought going across the ribs of the bin would be the best, but perhaps not.  Saturated MM is extremely heavy!
  Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Unders10

At the very least I'd recommend four supports instead of three.  Not because the table as-is can't handle the weight, but because I don't believe the bins are as sturdy as they are made out to be.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/19/2013, 5:56 pm

Thanks for the pic. That is exactly what I needed to see! The bins I am going to use are not terribly sturdy either, so I will definitely do 4 ribs.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/7/2013, 4:01 am

boffer wrote:My wife has been wondering when I'd get around to putting a SFG on wheels.  The tubs made it happen.

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Dscn1510

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Dscn1610

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Dscn1511

One tub has a soil heater cable in it;  both tubs are planted with the same seeds.  It should make a good side-by-side comparison.

The cart is a little overkill, but it's odds and ends that I had around.
Whoa, this is uncomfortable.  I think I just developed a man-crush.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/7/2013, 9:14 am

Yeah, those are pretty nice, eh? Wink 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/7/2013, 11:52 am

Marc Iverson wrote:Whoa, this is uncomfortable.  I think I just developed a man-crush.
Razz 

If that's the case, then I bet you'd be head-over-heels in love if you saw my motorized compost sifter!  yahoo
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/7/2013, 12:02 pm

boffer wrote:
Marc Iverson wrote:Whoa, this is uncomfortable.  I think I just developed a man-crush.
Razz 

If that's the case, then I bet you'd be head-over-heels in love if you saw my motorized compost sifter!  yahoo
Or your Mel's mix mixer! Wink 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  aerodyne 8/8/2013, 6:36 pm

Hi all;

This is a great thread.  Boffer's rig is awesome! Show me the mixer!

I have posted a possible container elswhere on the forum. Can't post a link yet, but it is the HDX 27 gal tough tote by Homz, only $10 at HD.  I am inquiring about a smaller 15 gal box, and the type of plastic used, hopefully, not PVC.  Looks/feels like HDPE.

From what I can tell it is cheaper, deeper, more sturdy (Rated at 700 lbs compression), than the cement tubs or other containers on this thread, but can be used in similar ways as it has a lip around the edges.  It also comes with a lid that can be used as a drip tray, or cut into areation grid  for the bottom, a la "Earthbox".  Doing this will leave a remaining lip to secure a sheet over the box for sprouting or winter veggies.  Assembed as shown below, it can be dragged around a patio with no damage.  It has a grid built into the box bottom and cover that seems ideal for drainage.  Both box and cover have six holes, spaced at 1 foot, that will accept 1 x 2 stakes to make a trellis support, without needing to push the stakes in the ground. 

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Mini_s12
aerodyne
aerodyne

Male Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/9/2013, 3:24 pm

Very Happy  I Like the mobile tub trolley Boffer .. all you need is a tow eye or  tow ball at either end and you can run up & down the road  on your ride on lawnmower  towing around them to get the best sun position an all sides  ( don't for get brakes and lighting )  Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/9/2013, 3:27 pm

aerodyne wrote:Hi all;

This is a great thread.  Boffer's rig is awesome! Show me the mixer!

I have posted a possible container elswhere on the forum. Can't post a link yet, but it is the HDX 27 gal tough tote by Homz, only $10 at HD.  I am inquiring about a smaller 15 gal box, and the type of plastic used, hopefully, not PVC.  Looks/feels like HDPE.

From what I can tell it is cheaper, deeper, more sturdy (Rated at 700 lbs compression), than the cement tubs or other containers on this thread, but can be used in similar ways as it has a lip around the edges.  It also comes with a lid that can be used as a drip tray, or cut into areation grid  for the bottom, a la "Earthbox".  Doing this will leave a remaining lip to secure a sheet over the box for sprouting or winter veggies.  Assembed as shown below, it can be dragged around a patio with no damage.  It has a grid built into the box bottom and cover that seems ideal for drainage.  Both box and cover have six holes, spaced at 1 foot, that will accept 1 x 2 stakes to make a trellis support, without needing to push the stakes in the ground. 

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Mini_s12
 See if you can find someone who has those boxes &has  had had them out in the sun all summer.

If they are they type of plastic box I had,  they will dry out quick , age harden and break during the next seasons use.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/9/2013, 4:10 pm

Plantoid - good point on the friability of the plastic tub.  700 lb. should be fairly thick material??  I will be going to HD this weekend and will check them out.

I know the more rubbery, cement skreet pans last a long time in the sun.  Opps, does that mean that the skreet pans have more plasticizers in them?  Can't win for losing.  I still like the skreet pans for mixing ingredients, potting up plants, etc.  I have two as one of them always ends up as a catch-all.

Short story:  The health department tests each domestic well before putting it on line.  One mountain well contained phthalate.  What the heck is a mountain well doing with plastic in it?  They pulled the sanitary seal and pump and found a waded up curtain shower in the casing that had fallen down into the water!  After the curtain was removed, pump re-installed, and the well flushed, the water was phthalate free.  Theory was that someone stuffed the curtain in the top of the casing to keep stuff out while waiting for the pump to be installed.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Empty cheap boxes

Post  aerodyne 8/9/2013, 8:42 pm

There was a post on some blog that said these boxes lasted several years in direct AZ sun.  I plan to keep the sides covered in with the border od the existing SFG and with mulch.

Like I said, for $10, worth a try.

aerodyne
aerodyne
aerodyne

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/9/2013, 11:03 pm

Partially buried, they could function as huge cutworm collars, and help direct watering to the base of the plants easily.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Cheap plastic 2x3 boxes - Page 5 Empty Box - cutworm collar

Post  aerodyne 8/9/2013, 11:49 pm

I forgot about that - the forth reason a gave up my 400 sq ft raised bed!

bad soil
tree roots
Gophers
And cut worms!

I have "Planted" conatiners before and noted reduced cutworms - perhaps I should make the holes 1/4" or smaller?
aerodyne
aerodyne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5