Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Toplef10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... I22gcj10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Toplef10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... I22gcj10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Brand new to SFG! My first efforts...

+20
jimmy cee
camprn
jazzycat
R&R 1011
kbb964
carybcom
GWN
Jess0331
Goosegirl
gregrenee88
givvmistamps
CindiLou
walshevak
marc-in-pa
debclements
daryl.weaver
quiltbea
gwennifer
mschaef
kittykat
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Empty Brand new to SFG! My first efforts...

Post  kittykat 3/18/2012, 2:09 pm

Hi Everyone! I'm brand new to SFG. I'm on Coastal British Columbia and have quite a few perennial gardens, rambling in nature. I spied Square Foot Gardening in my online travels last year and set up the boxes in the fall with cardboard under them to kill the grass. I just filled them in the last few days, added the square-foot dividing strings and made a cage to go round to keep the beasties out (wild cats and a resident peacock)... I'm SO happy to have found the forum - there's nothing like daily hands-on advice from seasoned pros and newbies looking for answers!

Here is my garden so far:

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Garden10

I still have to put the nylon garden fence netting around the cage, but hopefully I can do that today.

After looking at everyone's beautiful gardens and gathering ideas, I'm want to add some trellis's, too. Love the idea of growing the squash and pumpkins on a trellis... LOL - I do believe I'm addicted.

Thank you all for being here!
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Empty Re: Brand new to SFG! My first efforts...

Post  mschaef 3/18/2012, 2:30 pm

What you have done looks great!!! I was wondering though if you were going to be putting the nylon netting on the top too? If you do be careful that your plants do not get too big and hit the top. Other than that it looks wonderful, goodluck!!
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Empty Re: Brand new to SFG! My first efforts...

Post  kittykat 3/18/2012, 2:46 pm

mschaef wrote:What you have done looks great!!! I was wondering though if you were going to be putting the nylon netting on the top too? If you do be careful that your plants do not get too big and hit the top. Other than that it looks wonderful, goodluck!!

Yeah - I'll have to keep an eye on that. I do want the netting on the top... Might have to take the covers right off once things are well under way... or maybe I could add some height to the covers by adding PVC extensions to the legs with a coupler. I'm choosing bush beans and bush peas this year, and will just have to adapt as necessary for anything that grows taller... hehe - newbie at work!

Thanks for your input!
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 3/19/2012, 2:01 pm

Covered! And planted some peas today! Woot! Kids are loving this!

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Garden13
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 3/19/2012, 5:14 pm

Wow you don't mess around do you?! What a great first start! Love the critter cages - thanks so much for sharing your garden pictures with us. And welcome to the forum!

cheers
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/19/2012, 5:45 pm

kittykat....You're doing a great job so far. I look forward to more photos when things get growing. Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 3/20/2012, 11:03 am

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement! This site is such an awesome resource... a person could read old posts and follow links all day long!

sunny Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 998388915
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Empty Great job!

Post  daryl.weaver 3/20/2012, 2:46 pm

Love the idea of making the grid with string. I used quarter round and have a devil of a time keeping it in place. Will replace mind today!
daryl.weaver
daryl.weaver

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 3/20/2012, 7:29 pm

daryl.weaver wrote:Love the idea of making the grid with string. I used quarter round and have a devil of a time keeping it in place. Will replace mind today!

I used those little u-shaped double-ended nails that are used to attach barbed wire to fencing to attach my strings. When I nailed them in, I just left enough to make a little hoop to tie to. Nice and tight and I won't catch myself on them leaning in and out of the garden...

Fun, fun, fun!!
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Empty April 16 Update

Post  kittykat 4/16/2012, 4:51 pm

Okay - time for some update pics...

I replaced all the little twist ties that were holding the mesh together with some green jute twine that I wound through it all. Made it look a little less messy. The reason the grass is brown in places is because I've been spraying all the dandelions with vinegar in hopes of beating them back. I thought it might work to kill the grass around the edges of the boxes, too. Even if I have to reapply, it's not toxic and seems to work.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Garden21

Here's the site with the instructions for making the cage, by the way:

http://www.charsgardening.com/2010/10/19/how-to-build-a-multipurpose-raised-bed-protective-cover/

These are our Little Marvel peas, all sprouted and thinned with the scissors. The kids are thrilled! In the box behind them are our bush beans (Tema). Apparently they can stand a cooler start than most, so we're giving them an early start with the 2x2 cold frame over them to hopefully keep them warm.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Garden22

I made a poly tunnel for the inside of the cage so we could start some things early. Next time I have the cage and tunnel off, I'll take a pic of what we have growing in there. Here's the website I got the idea for the poly tunnel from:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37418774@N04/3680898429/in/photostream/

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Garden23

I also planted up about 28 strawberries each into 2 tubs like this one. Beats the heck out of the 6 plants over 2 squares in the SFG!

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Garden24

Jury's out on the worm tunnels. I haven't seen any in there for quite a while. I'm hoping they're still alive, but I fear they themselves have added to the compost factor in the garden mix.

I have to do things low-tech, as I'm not a woodworking kind of gal, but there are so many great ideas in the book and here in the forum and on the internet that I seem to be able to find a way to achieve what I need to for my situation if I keep poking around long enough...

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 274447 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 274447 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 274447
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  debclements 4/16/2012, 5:08 pm

Wow! Your garden looks wonderful! I'm new to SFG and won't be able to put mine up until the end of the month, but sure am enjoying reading about everyone elses!

Deer will be a problem for me as well, so am very happy that you posted this!

Thanks-

Deb
debclements
debclements

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/16/2012, 9:33 pm

This one is slightly more updated... It's from April 13. We planted that bunch of mixed lettuces from a little planter pot we got at a nursery - it was great for the kids because they could start picking leaves from it right away. The butter lettuce I just picked up about a week ago - again, it has great appeal for the kids because they can eat salad right from their garden right away.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Copy_o10

It's hard to tell in the pic, but we have carrots and romaine lettuce on the far right, then spinach and beets one over, radishes behind the square of butter lettuce, and carrots planted 10 days later and a mixed lettuce on the far left. I have garlic planted at the top left of most of the squares. There are now onion sets in front of the top hat on the right. The top hats are for potatoes, which are already planted, too.

I put that poly tunnel over the whole front 2 rows almost all the time, except for really nice days. The poly house has windows lined with tulle at each end that I pretty much leave uncovered all the time. It's not cold enough here to damage the plants with the tunnel over them, and then if it does heat up in the afternoon I haven't scorched everything...

It's small-scale at this point, but the kids are having a ball... Oh, okay - one more pic so you can see them loving the process...

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Copy_o11

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 692681
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  marc-in-pa 4/16/2012, 10:59 pm

Nice work! I felt like all thumbs my first year with SFG. Everything is looking fantastic. Great that your kids are taking an active role and interest! Brava!
marc-in-pa
marc-in-pa

Male Posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/17/2012, 9:14 am

Your garden is coming along just great. I like your cages. Very good job with those. The kids are adorable.

I am using nylon tomato twine for marking my squares this year. The nylon won't rot in bad weather.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  marc-in-pa 4/17/2012, 2:50 pm

quiltbea wrote:I am using nylon tomato twine for marking my squares this year. The nylon won't rot in bad weather.

Nylon tomato twine is a good idea for square markers! The first year I used string, which rotted. After that I found a white plastic-coated clothes line from Home Depot. Snaked it through slightly-raised screws. It was cheap and has held up well. If I was as bright as Quiltbea I would have gone with the tomato twine... more eco-sensitive.
marc-in-pa
marc-in-pa

Male Posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/17/2012, 3:05 pm

Yup - my string is nylon string, as well. We got a huge roll of it years ago for camping when we bought our 5th wheel trailer and STILL have a huge roll of it.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 3170584802
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/21/2012, 1:01 pm

I have an old mini greenhouse frame that I've had for years. The plastic fell apart a long time ago and got tossed and the frame was actually being used in the garage as a shelving unit...

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Greenh10

A little 6-mil poly,some (a lot of) ductotherapy and some head-scratching and I have a brand new greenhouse for starting plants! (Oh, plus some help from my very curious kitty!)

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Greenh11

I used some tulle netting and made a window in the front with a roll-up poly cover for air circulation. The whole front is a flap that lifts up so I can get to the plants. And the whole cover lifts off the frame.

Yay! Now I need to go and get a heating pad and I'm ready to start trying to germinate some annual flowers!

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 582897 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 582897 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 582897
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/21/2012, 4:55 pm

Doesn't Duck Tape have a contest on the creative ways to use their product? If so you have a candidate. Good work.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/21/2012, 4:58 pm

Great use for one of those little things! I have two. One I have in my little greenhouse for shelves. I will have to remember that for next spring. I may use the littler one for starting plants inside.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/21/2012, 5:56 pm

walshevak wrote:Doesn't Duck Tape have a contest on the creative ways to use their product? If so you have a candidate. Good work.

Kay

Hehe... thanks... With my very, very low-tech handyman skills, duct tape is my best friend! I used a whole role of it when I put together my 5x2' hoop house last month... Thank God for duct tape!
Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 3170584802
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/21/2012, 6:07 pm

That looks great! Definitely enter it in the Duck Tape contest!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/22/2012, 12:24 am

And - ta da! - I even went out and got a heating pad and some supplies from the hydroponics shop and started marigolds, cosmos, nasturtium and sunflowers in my new little greenhouse! (I'm old, with young children AND I'm Gemini - to start a project, finish it and then actually put it to it's intended use boggles the mind...)

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Greenh13

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Greenh14
Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 582897 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 582897 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 582897
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/23/2012, 8:58 pm

Next - Project Sweet Peas

Thanks to the ANSFG book and browsing the forum here for ideas, I've completed my next low-tech, yard-architecture-for-dummies project... Well, it's not quite completed - it needs the netting yet, but the construction is done, anyway... It's 3/4" PVC with the fittings actually glued this time, the two ends over 6' rebar pounded about 2' into the ground - and, oh yeah, painted garden green rather than construction white... LOL!

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... Sweetp10

The sweet peas are *just* sprouting, protected by the netting strung between the two smaller black garden trellises... That will all come down when they get a little bigger.
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/24/2012, 12:18 am

@kittykat.....You'll want to take down the short garden trellis now before the peas get attached to it if that's your plan. Once they start growing up the trellis, you won't be able to unwind the vines easily.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/24/2012, 12:51 am

quiltbea wrote:@kittykat.....You'll want to take down the short garden trellis now before the peas get attached to it if that's your plan. Once they start growing up the trellis, you won't be able to unwind the vines easily.

Yes - I will, for sure. It looks like it's just netting sitting there, but it's actually bent over in an upside-down V shape keeping the little birds and peacock from picking at the sprouts. As soon as all the sprouts are up and growing, I'll take down the tented netting and get the permanent netting in place for them. Might have to rig something else against the permanent netting to protect the sweet peas from critters a while longer, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there... LOL..

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 109486 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 109486 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... 109486
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next