Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. Toplef10Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. I22gcj10Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. Toplef10Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. I22gcj10Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Share your quick tips with the new gardeners.

+8
Unmutual
camprn
Chopper
javaaddict
plantoid
walshevak
boog1
quiltbea
12 posters

Go down

Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. Empty Share your quick tips with the new gardeners.

Post  quiltbea 3/13/2012, 1:51 pm

We seem to have quite a few new players this year who are just starting their garden beds. How about sharing some of your quick tips that might help them.

Cutworm collars: I stick 2 toothpicks into the soil, one on either side of the stem and right up against the stem, all all newly-transplanted crops. Defeats them every time. No mess with paper or tubes. Easy peasy.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. Empty Re: Share your quick tips with the new gardeners.

Post  boog1 3/13/2012, 2:09 pm

dont get discuraged if something dosent grow to your expectations last year i planted carrots an they do worth chit but i'm planting them again this year.

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. Empty Re: Share your quick tips with the new gardeners.

Post  walshevak 3/13/2012, 3:13 pm

Transplants from box stores or nurseries are ok, expecially the first year. You have a lot to absorb and starting seeds is fun but not essential. And a lot of stuff can be directly sowed into their spaces.

Wedding veil tulle over hoops saved a lot of bug and weed headaches for me last year. Kept blowing weed seeds out of the beds as well as flying bugs that lay eggs that hatch into evil worms.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/13/2012, 8:01 pm

Never use cold water direct from the tap to water your veg & flower transplants ....let it stand 24 hrs in open topped buckets to lose chlorine etc and get to the air temp that the plants will be at. .This way you do not shock the plants and cause a check in their growth.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  javaaddict 3/13/2012, 8:20 pm

GREAT thread! Very Happy
javaaddict
javaaddict

Female Posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/13/2012, 8:30 pm

Throw out any ideas about when a square will be through. It is done when it's done. Don't sweat it. Just know when it is, you can plant something else if there is still time.

Also, when you plant, for various reasons everything might not sprout. I simply add more seeds where there are missing sprouts and do not worry about it. Same with eaten sprouts. I had a couple of squares of beans get eaten by snails. Just stuck some more seeds in and did not worry about it - except took some pains to avoid snails. In other words, do not get too caught up in timing and perfection. Just enjoy the ride.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/13/2012, 8:35 pm

I just thought of another that works well for me.

Use wire clothes hangers to shape into hoops over your blocks. With spring clothes pins you can cover the plants with plastic if more sun is needed, old bath towels to keep them warm on a frosty nite, row cover to fend off insects, or cheesecloth to shade crops like lettuce and spinach to get a longer season from them.

Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. 07-13-16

Above: Covering baby lettuce in the A-frame in mid-July.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/13/2012, 8:42 pm

When setting transplants into the garden, dig a deep hole and place seedling into the hole up to the first leaves. Press the soil down around the transplants to make a small well about 4 or more inches wide and at least an inch deep. When you water the garden, the water will settle into the well and go directly where it is needed. Water at soil level. don't water the foliage.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 3/13/2012, 8:58 pm

If you want the best chance at success:

1) Start composting.

2) Make sure your Mel's Mix is correct(seriously, don't skimp!)

3) Water enough(each plant needs roughly 1" of water(0.56 gallons) per week; more in hot weather. The bigger the plant, the more it needs also).

4) Go to your state's AgCenter website and look up the known and tested cultivars that grow in your area(it should also include planting dates, common problems, etc. Your AgCenter is a great place for local information. Unfortunately this is available to the US and Canada only, though I think Prince Charles may have started something similar in the UK). You can also talk with your local Extension Agent or Master Gardeners. They'll be more than happy to help you.

5) Plant what you and your family eat already.

6) Take pictures and keep notes so you know how each cultivar fared, what issues you may have had and how to correct it and to keep track of any garden pests that may pop up(dates, pictures, which cultivars they affected).

After you get the core garden and veggies planned out and you know you can get some food each and every year, then feel free to try other cultivars and other veggies. It's just a lot easier on the ego when you plant things that will grow. Just because they sell the plant or seed in the store(be it big box or mom-and-pop nurseries), that doesn't mean it will grow well in your area.

However, gardening is all about experimenting. It's just best to keep the experimenting to a minimum when starting out.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. Empty Re: tip

Post  mschaef 3/13/2012, 11:34 pm

If you have kids get them involved. I'm new to the website but have had a squarefoot garden for 3 years. This would be year 4. The first year my oldest son was 2 and he asked to grow pumpkins so we did. From 2 dwarf pumpkin plants we got about 20 pumpkins. Next year we did carving pumpkin two different batches cause we got the squash borer bug and had a total of 5 pumpkins. I did not know at the time that bugs could bore in to plants. Had the same problems with our pumpkin plants last year too. This year my son keeps asking when we are going to start our seeds and I feel bad cause we are going to be moving sometime later this year, husbands military, so we are not having a garden. My husband finally came around to the garden too he wasn't sure about it working but loved having he's own pepper plants. He even learn to pickle he pepper last year so he could enjoy them all winter. So to sum up get your family involved they will love how easy it is and you learn so much.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/13/2012, 11:37 pm

I had a tendency over the years to start out gangbusters and loose steam with gardening.
I have subsequently found if I try to do something in the garden every day, no matter how small, it keeps me focused on the garden, but if the tasks are small somedays it maintains my interest. PLUS by doing something every day, you can quickly see if there is a problem that needs to be dealt with, early.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/14/2012, 6:20 am

mschaef wrote:If you have kids get them involved. I'm new to the website but have had a squarefoot garden for 3 years. This would be year 4. The first year my oldest son was 2 and he asked to grow pumpkins so we did. From 2 dwarf pumpkin plants we got about 20 pumpkins. Next year we did carving pumpkin two different batches cause we got the squash borer bug and had a total of 5 pumpkins. I did not know at the time that bugs could bore in to plants. Had the same problems with our pumpkin plants last year too. This year my son keeps asking when we are going to start our seeds and I feel bad cause we are going to be moving sometime later this year, husbands military, so we are not having a garden. My husband finally came around to the garden too he wasn't sure about it working but loved having he's own pepper plants. He even learn to pickle he pepper last year so he could enjoy them all winter. So to sum up get your family involved they will love how easy it is and you learn so much.

Do you know where and when you are being sent and do you have a sponsor yet? Depending on timing, If the sponsor is in anyway interested in gardening, perhaps you can get 2 large pots of pumpkins started for your son. Would be a great welcome to your new home. And it's time to start learning the weather patterns of the new place. Who knows, you might get a great fall garden.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Share your quick tips with the new gardeners. Empty Watering

Post  CharlesB 3/14/2012, 7:37 am

New gardeners have a tendency to over/under water. Something you can do to take some of the guess work out of it is stick a wooden dowel, wooden barbecue skewer, etc. in to the ground. When wondering if you need to water pull it out, looking at it and feeling it. If that stick is moist in any way you probably don't need to water. Once the stick is dry, soak em.

I still find this to be helpful at times for me to gauge under ground moisture levels. Works great for potted plants as well.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/14/2012, 7:57 am

Lightweight critter cages are wonderful. So far it had given protection from cats, bunnies, deer, etc. Too much sun add a light blanket for shade. Too much rain, lightweight plastic preserves precious Mel's mix from a washout. One inch diameter chicken wire keeps out the birds but lets in little garden frogs. Drawback - I don't find it aesthetically pleasing but willing to give up looks since it performs so well. Very Happy
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 3/14/2012, 5:31 pm

[quote="walshevak"]
mschaef wrote:If you have kids get them involved. I'm new to the website but have had a squarefoot garden for 3 years. This would be year 4. The first year my oldest son was 2 and he asked to grow pumpkins so we did. From 2 dwarf pumpkin plants we got about 20 pumpkins. Next year we did carving pumpkin two different batches cause we got the squash borer bug and had a total of 5 pumpkins. I did not know at the time that bugs could bore in to plants. Had the same problems with our pumpkin plants last year too. This year my son keeps asking when we are going to start our seeds and I feel bad cause we are going to be moving sometime later this year, husbands military, so we are not having a garden. My husband finally came around to the garden too he wasn't sure about it working but loved having he's own pepper plants. He even learn to pickle he pepper last year so he could enjoy them all winter. So to sum up get your family involved they will love how easy it is and you learn so much.

Do you know where and when you are being sent and do you have a sponsor yet? Depending on timing, If the sponsor is in anyway interested in gardening, perhaps you can get 2 large pots of pumpkins started for your son. Would be a great welcome to your new home. And it's time to start learning the weather patterns of the new place. Who knows, you might get a great fall garden.
Kay/(quote)

Kay, no we have no clue on when or where we will be going just that it will be sometime this year

mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/15/2012, 12:00 pm

Keep a small scissors in your pocket at all times so when you're visiting your garden, you can clip away any small weed, any tomato sucker, thin any crop or deadhead any flower in your raised beds.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down