Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got started!! Questions...so please read. Toplef10Got started!! Questions...so please read. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got started!! Questions...so please read. I22gcj10Got started!! Questions...so please read. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got started!! Questions...so please read. Toplef10Got started!! Questions...so please read. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got started!! Questions...so please read. I22gcj10Got started!! Questions...so please read. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Got started!! Questions...so please read.

4 posters

Go down

Got started!! Questions...so please read. Empty Got started!! Questions...so please read.

Post  Cathyegar 4/3/2010, 8:46 pm

Got my boxes put together today (from SFG). Super easy to put together. I'm so excited about getting my mel's mix in them but gotta wait til Monday to work on that. I have two questions, tho. First of all, the weed cloth is exactly the right size; so much so that it's kinda hard to get it under the frame all the way around. What's the chance that I'm gonna have grass sneaking in around the edges? Second, the side of my yard that has a level spot will have the tallest plants planted closest to my deck. In other words, if I plant the beans, etc on the N side, they will hide the rest of my garden. Is it necessary to plant them on the N? Or could I plant them on the S side...as long as tall plants aren't on the E or W???? Hope that makes enough sense that someone can answer....
Anyway, I'm SO excited about getting started. If I'm smart enough to post pictures, I'll try to after I get them planted.
Thanks in advance for help....you guys are great!!!
Cathyegar

Female Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Got started!! Questions...so please read. Empty Re: Got started!! Questions...so please read.

Post  happyfrog 4/3/2010, 8:59 pm

going to reply in caps so you can see my answers.

Got my boxes put together today (from SFG). Super easy to put together.

WOO-HOO! SO EXCITED FOR YOU!

I'm so excited about getting my mel's mix in them but gotta wait til
Monday to work on that. I have two questions, tho. First of all, the
weed cloth is exactly the right size; so much so that it's kinda hard to
get it under the frame all the way around.

I WOULD OVERLAP THE FABRIC - SO USE TWICE AS MUCH. THEN NO GRASS WILL SNEAK UNDER.

What's the chance that I'm
gonna have grass sneaking in around the edges?

VERY LITTLE - ESP IF YOU TAKE A MOMENT AND STAPLE GUN THE LANDSCAPE FABRIC TO THE BOX - I DO IT THE EASY WAY - JUST LAY THE FABRIC ON TOP OF BOX, STAPLE GUN ON THE LOWER SIDE EDGE ON OUTSIDE OF BOX. FLIP OVER. VOILA, A BOX WITH ATTACHED LANDSCAPE FABRIC. EASY. Smile

Second, the side of my
yard that has a level spot will have the tallest plants planted closest
to my deck. In other words, if I plant the beans, etc on the N side,
they will hide the rest of my garden. Is it necessary to plant them on
the N? Or could I plant them on the S side...as long as tall plants
aren't on the E or W????

SUN RISES IN EAST, SETS IN WEST. SO I PUT MY TRELLIS ON NORTH SIDE TO REDUCE SHADOW. SUN SHONE JUST FINE ON MY GREEN PEPPER PLANTS - AND ONE OF THEM GOT CLOSE TO 6' TALL!

THIS YEAR FOR THE HECK OF IT, I FULLY INTEND TO PUT A CHERRY TOMATO PLANT IN THE VERY CENTER OF A 4X4 BOX AND TRELLIS THE CENTER OF IT (CHERRY PLANT WILL USE 4 SQUARES)AND THEN I'LL PUT GREEN PEPPERS AND BUSH GREEN BEANS ALL AROUND THE REMAINING SQUARES. HOPE THAT GIVES YOU AN IDEA.

Hope that makes enough sense that someone can
answer....

I'M A NEWBIE (SECOND YEAR SFG) AND I THINK ANYTHING CAN WORK. THE PLANTS DON'T READ THE RULE BOOKS SO TRY AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Anyway, I'm SO excited about getting started.

IT SURE IS FUN TO SFG!

If I'm smart
enough to post pictures, I'll try to after I get them planted.

DO TAKE PICS AND SHARE THEM - EVEN IF YOU JUST UPLOAD TO A PIC SHARING SITE AND SHARE THE LINK. WE LOVE PICS!

Thanks
in advance for help....you guys are great!!!

YOU'RE PRETTY NEAT YOURSELF!
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Got started!! Questions...so please read. Empty Re: Got started!! Questions...so please read.

Post  Jeff Buffington 4/3/2010, 9:28 pm

Cathyegar wrote:Got my boxes put together today (from SFG). Super easy to put together. I'm so excited about getting my mel's mix in them but gotta wait til Monday to work on that. I have two questions, tho.

That's great news. Take lots of pictures! Smile

First of all, the weed cloth is exactly the right size; so much so that it's kinda hard to get it under the frame all the way around. What's the chance that I'm gonna have grass sneaking in around the edges?

Instead of using 4' fabric, I used 3' and overlapped it. I found the 3' rolls cheaper. In fact, I just saw rolls at Big Lots for $5 each... much cheaper than what I paid for it at the big box.

Second, the side of my yard that has a level spot will have the tallest plants planted closest to my deck. In other words, if I plant the beans, etc on the N side, they will hide the rest of my garden. Is it necessary to plant them on the N? Or could I plant them on the S side...as long as tall plants aren't on the E or W???? Hope that makes enough sense that someone can answer....

The reason for putting the taller plants on the north side is so they don't block the sunlight. The sun tends to be in the southern part of the sky. Though travelling from east to west, the arc travels through the south.

Wikipedia: Northern Hemisphere wrote:The shadow of a sun dial moves clockwise in the northern hemisphere (opposite of the southern hemisphere). During the day the sun tends to raise to its maximum at a southerly position, whereas in the southern hemisphere it raises to a maximum that is northerly in position (as it tends towards the direction of the equator). In both hemispheres the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

Anyway, I'm SO excited about getting started. If I'm smart enough to post pictures, I'll try to after I get them planted.
Thanks in advance for help....you guys are great!!!
Many of us are in the same situation as you.. so hopefully we can all help each other!
Jeff Buffington
Jeff Buffington

Male Posts : 150

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathyegar 4/3/2010, 9:31 pm

Thank you BettyAnn...one more thing. The question about planting so nothing gets shaded...can I plant the tall things on the South side as well as the North as long as they aren't planted on the E or W? Everyone says N, but where my gardens are, if they're planted on the N side I won't be able to enjoy seeing them. Thought I would plant pole beans on the S...would that work?

Jeff...The boxes from this site came with a 4'x4' piece. I guess I'll just go buy more to be sure and staple it. I need some anyway for the aisles to put rock on.

Thanks y'all!!!
Cathyegar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Buffington 4/3/2010, 9:36 pm

Cathyegar wrote:Thank you BettyAnn...one more thing. The question about planting so nothing gets shaded...can I plant the tall things on the South side as well as the North as long as they aren't planted on the E or W? Everyone says N, but where my gardens are, if they're planted on the N side I won't be able to enjoy seeing them. Thought I would plant pole beans on the S...would that work?
You see what I said about the sun being in the southern part of the sky? I think that's the main reason. Now, being in the south, you certainly could plant things that might not tolerate the heat as well. Likewise, you could do the same for stuff on the east side (morning being cooler).

Jeff...The boxes from this site came with a 4'x4' piece. I guess I'll just go buy more to be sure and staple it. I need some anyway for the aisles to put rock on.

Thanks y'all!!!
Check Big Lots, if you have them up (guessing) there... the price was really good compared to HD.
Jeff Buffington
Jeff Buffington

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathyegar 4/3/2010, 9:37 pm

OK Jeff....just finished reading your post....guess I'll plant on the N side. LOL
I'll just have to walk out in the yard and go on the other side to look at them. haha
Thanks for y'alls help.
"y'alls"....that's completely alabamian, I think.

Yes...there's a Big Lots right across town. That would be great because at the big box stores, it was $27.
Cathyegar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Buffington 4/3/2010, 9:40 pm

Cathyegar wrote:OK Jeff....just finished reading your post....guess I'll plant on the N side. LOL
I'll just have to walk out in the yard and go on the other side to look at them. haha
Well, remember, it's your SFG... so do what pleases you. Smile
Thanks for y'alls help.
"y'alls"....that's completely alabamian, I think.
Not quite... it's deeply entrenched in my vernacular here in the Orlando area... despite the invasion of them Yankees.. Laughing
Jeff Buffington
Jeff Buffington

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 4/4/2010, 9:36 am

yeah - to what jeff said, lol.

seriously - do what makes you smile.

you will learn lots either way.

me i will be planting corn to cover up my electric meter again on side of house. it was funny watching the meter man in my city neighborhood having to push aside corn stalks to read the meter. (i'm such a rebel! lol)
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/4/2010, 4:28 pm

I've planted tall plants on the east side with no problems. Remember that in the summer, the sun is high overhead so it will get to the bed if the trellis is on the N side better than any other side, but here in Texas I've found there's very little shading from putting the trellis on the E. South would not be advised as when the days shorten and the angle of the sun changes to the south, your trellis would shade the bed too much.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/4/2010, 4:30 pm

Cathyegar wrote:
Yes...there's a Big Lots right across town. That would be great because at the big box stores, it was $27.

Dollar General had a 50' roll for $5.50 near me. So you might look there as well.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathyegar 4/4/2010, 4:56 pm

Ah! There's a Dollar General even closer. I'll check there first.
Thx
Cathyegar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down