Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW Tomatoes and your experiences Toplef10PNW Tomatoes and your experiences 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW Tomatoes and your experiences I22gcj10PNW Tomatoes and your experiences 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW Tomatoes and your experiences Toplef10PNW Tomatoes and your experiences 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW Tomatoes and your experiences I22gcj10PNW Tomatoes and your experiences 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW Tomatoes and your experiences

4 posters

Go down

PNW Tomatoes and your experiences Empty PNW Tomatoes and your experiences

Post  happycamper 2/29/2012, 2:49 pm

Hello everyone, I am trying two new varieties this year and I would like to know if anyone in the PNW region has an experience with Stupice, Early Girl and Oregon Spring tomatoes. I am still trying to decide where to place the tomatoes in the garden. Last year worked well but in the best interest of crop rotation I will need to plant them in different locations.

My main question has to do with the Height of the plants. I know the standard height of the varieties I normally grow BUT they are always taller than the package says so I am looking for some first hand knowledge. My standard tomatoes are: Roma - 8 to 10 feet (determinate) height no more than 12 feet and Yellow - 6 to 8 feet (determinate) height and Cherry - 8 to 10 feet (determinate) height.

Oregon Spring - I tried these for the first time last year and they were short, 4 to 5 feet and since they were started very late I don't know if this was the standard height and they did not produce very well.

Stupice are listed as an indeterminate which tells me that they could easily grow to 8-10 feet, can anyone tell me how tall yours have grown?

Early Girl is another indeterminate, my cousin has grown these for years and says they do not get over 4 to 5 feet and I guess I have never heard of a short indeterminate before.

I have found some conflicting information regarding the varieties listed above and would greatly appreciate assistance from fellow gardeners. Thank you.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

PNW Tomatoes and your experiences Empty NW tomatoes

Post  curio 2/29/2012, 2:57 pm

PNW Tomatoes and your experiences Heirlo10
We've grown Stupice, Early Girl and Oregon Spring. I don't think any of our plants were shorter than 8 feet at any time. We grow ours in an unheated greenhouse, since it is generally foggy in the mornings here and it seems to help protect them from the blights they can sometimes be plagued with.
Last year, our tomatoes did "squat" in regards to production. We got a few but not nearly what we've gotten in the past.
We are trying some different short season varieties this year (one is a repeat that we've had good luck with) Black Krim, Legend, Sub Arctic Plenty, Siberia and a cherry, Gold Nugget. Most of these were developed for extremely short season areas, so we're hoping they work better for us.
I believe this is a shot of the tomatoes in the greenhouse in late June.

Last edited by curio on 2/29/2012, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

PNW Tomatoes and your experiences Empty another view

Post  curio 2/29/2012, 3:02 pm

PNW Tomatoes and your experiences August10
This was taken in August. The ceiling above these plants is 8' at the lowest point.
curio
curio

Back to top Go down

PNW Tomatoes and your experiences Empty Re: PNW Tomatoes and your experiences

Post  Furbalsmom 2/29/2012, 4:30 pm

whine, whine, whine, I want a greenhouse too. PNW Tomatoes and your experiences 675916
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

PNW Tomatoes and your experiences Empty greenhouse

Post  curio 2/29/2012, 7:06 pm

Furbalsmom, I built this one using mostly recycled materials. It took me years to collect the windows, since I wanted some of them to match, and they had to be old. The only new materials were the studs and ceiling brace timbers (so I could have the correct dimensions) the roofing and the Hardiboard siding. The potting bench and raised tomato bed were built from reused materials, and all of the hardware (hinges etc) were also salvaged from other projects. This year we put a gutter on the low side to catch rainwater and divert it to a rain barrel that will be in the back.
curio
curio

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/29/2012, 8:05 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:whine, whine, whine, I want a greenhouse too.

Me three.

I've done Oregon Spring and Early Girl.

I like Oregon Spring OK but it is not my PNW favorite. Quilt Bea in New England has really nice things to say about this tomato. TTS rates this Determinant at 75 to 80 days, 4 inches. I cage my determinants in large black pots of MM. Because Bea had such good things to say about this Oregon Native I gave it another try (last time I grew them was in my Mtn Valley soil garden). 2010 was not good tomato weather (neither was 2011) so your mileage will vary. Mine had nice foliage, it only grew to about 3 feet tall. The first few fruit were promising but all of them developed BER (blossom end rot) and had to be tossed. This plant took longer to recover than my other stars (plants that actually developed ripe fruit that cold wet year) after being treated with calcium (chopped up calcium tablets sprinkled on the soil surface and watered in). I did get red tomatoes, but only the first of them were larger than 3 and a half inches. Bea's were much nicer the same year.

Here is a link to my 2010 tomato tasting of Oregon Spring. Read through to the comments. janezee (SFG'ner on Whidbey Island.... whom I have not heard from in a while) added her thoughts on this same Tomato. Oregon Spring

It has been a long time since I've grown an Early Girl. You will get ripe fruit from her. Seems like they grow in grape like clusters. She is an Indeterminate, so if I was going to grow her again I would put her right into my SFG, train as a single stem grown on my trellis.

My personal favorite early tomato for the PNW is Siltz, a determinant, Parthenogenic like Oregon Spring. Not counting the Oregon Spring with BER, Siltz has been first to give me ripe tomatoes for the last two years. Grown in a large bucket the bush never got taller than a small tomato cage but regularly produced tasty red tomatoes in 2010 and 11. Even without calcium I've only had one fruit (that I can remember) with BER. Healthy foliage in two wet, cold summers. If you would like a plant to try this summer, let me know. There has to be a Starbucks somewhere between my garden and yours that we could meet at.

Link to 2010 Tomato Tasting for Siltz. Siltz

After all is said and done, for the last two years I have also got a few ripe Persimmon tomatoes, but not of the massive size they are advertised to be. I harvested buckets of green tomatoes of multiple varieties and made a happy discovery. From late September to early December I would weekly find enough pink, red and yellow tomatoes to make a nice pot of soup or a sauce which my family proclaimed to be "the best" (soup or sauce). Though they were not wonderful as sliced tomatoes. This year I plan to trial every kind of large plum tomato I can get my hands on, as well as a few full size, long season tomatoes, not expecting to get many vine ripe but hoping for a good harvest of green fruit for fall cooking. I've noticed that short season tomatoes did not store well at all and had to be tossed out before they ripen in fall.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 3/1/2012, 3:02 am

Thank you very much for all of the great information! If I didn't like to grow so many other items I guess spacing and location wouldn't be an issue. I need more space!

Lavender Debs, I couldn't get the links to work, if you have time to repost I would love to read the taste tests.
I was actually hoping that I could use the two 2'x8's on the west side that run north to south to plant the tomatoes in this year. That will not work since the garden gets its sun from the west and I would have 8 foot plants creating shade for half the garden.
I may have to devote an entire bed for tomatoes now and use the bed north of it for greens and utilize the shade. We shall see....

I did not start any of the Oregon Springs this year (whimper, whine) and it looks like they were the shortest ones that may have worked. Isn't it too late to start tomato seeds now? It is only around 6 weeks or so until last frost and only 5 weeks if I follow Farmer's Almanac which shows April 8th.
I started Cherry, Roma and Yellow on 2/7 and have uppotted them and the Stupice and Early Girls on 2/20. Is is too late?
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/1/2012, 6:06 am

happycamper wrote: ....I did not start any of the Oregon Springs this year (whimper, whine) and it looks like they were the shortest ones that may have worked. Isn't it too late to start tomato seeds now? It is only around 6 weeks or so until last frost and only 5 weeks if I follow Farmer's Almanac which shows April 8th....

I wait until things get warmer than "AVERAGE" last frost (not the same thing as last frost which changes from year to year) for Tomatoes, beans and corn. I have not even started my tomatoes yet. Today is March 1st, so this week is my target for starting my tomatoes. End of May, 1st week of June is when my Everett tomatoes are planted. Even than they still like to be covered until summer really starts in mid July...

Here are the raw links. You can cut and paste them to your navigation bar if you need to.

Oregon Spring: http://musicofrain.wordpress.com/2010/08/19/oregon-spring-pnw-tomato-tasting/

Siltz: http://musicofrain.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/siletz-debs-pnw-tomato-tasting/
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down